Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    A Good Day To Die Hard is easily the weakest of the series, but it's worth a viewing every other couple of years for me just because of that Russia car chase sequence earlier in the running time. It's brilliantly done, shame that same level of attention and care wasn't applied to the rest of it.

It's the first film ever that made me detest a film series I was previously very loyal to. I liked all the DH films until then, even number 4. Absolutely nothing wrong with that one. Good action, you name it! But that 5th film... Bruce Willis stopped acting three ice ages ago (or rather, ever since his hairline started receding); Jai Courtney is... look, I don't care what he is but I know what he ain't: a good actor. The story is just terrible and the climax is utter madness.

But yeah, the car chase works. It's the only thing that works. That, and MEW's cameo as John's daughter.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Agreed @LeonardPine , works very well in book form.

There is an alternative ending out there for FB that shows Rambo die by suicide, and, although a curiosity, I, like you, am happy it didn’t end this way. The entire film we’ve rooted for this anti-hero, and the suicide would have made the journey we’ve been through with him, all for naught.
    Red Hill 2010 Australian Thriller not a bad watch
    MANDY

Mandy_Nicolas_Cage.jpg

The bloody best I've ever seen Nic Cage give! I love the saturated colour palette of this film. One of the best films of the year, at least for horror hounds like myself.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    51u6DYa3WYL._SX425_.jpg

I wish I had watched this for Halloween, and not From A House On Willow Street. It had been a few year since I had last watched Dog Soldiers, and while I remembered the gist of the story, I had forgotten some of the finer points. One of the scenes I most vividly remembered was while Sarge and Copper are upstairs, Spoon goes toe-to-toe with one of the wolves down in the kitchen, throwing everything but the kitchen sink at the wolf. The Dog survives, which is always a bonus.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    MANDY

Mandy_Nicolas_Cage.jpg

The bloody best I've ever seen Nic Cage give! I love the saturated colour palette of this film. One of the best films of the year, at least for horror hounds like myself.

I got 20 minutes in and found it pretentious and tiresome. I will give it another try though due to it's good notices. Perhaps I'm missing something....
    On Chesil Beach
    Based on an Ian McEwan book... which isn't something that would make me exited to see a movie per se, but Saoirse Ronan does, so, had to go. Not much fun this (obviously, being McEwan material), and the Edward chap was meh, but an okay movie anyway.

First Man
    I haven't loved Damien Chazelle's previous two, and didn't love this one either, though he's clearly a technically skillful director. I haven't seen Claire Foy in anything else, she was good in this.

5b807ea476357.jpg?w=640

Bad Times at the El Royale
    This was aweseome. I think I was just grinning from pretty early on, and constantly admiring the movie I was watching - the way it was told, shot, constructed, the set, the cast... mmm. This looks so good, and the ensemble cast is so good. A superbly entertaining film from Drew Goddard (producer, writer, director). This one - unlike the other three here - I'll definitely need to see again. Easily one of my favourites this year. Do not read spoilers, just see it.
    @BMW_with_missiles I very much agree with you on this one!

A Star Is Born
    Okay, Lady Gaga is good, Bradley Cooper is good (the best I've seen him in anything - maybe the first time I genuinely liked him in anything), and their chemistry is good. And Sam Elliot is good, etc. A pretty good movie, too, though I tended to get a bit bored during the musical numbers. But I didn't see what the huge buzz and fuss is all about. Apparently this will get tons of Oscar nominations etc., and a lot of people who aren't even usually into this type of things love it to bits, and what not, and apparently the music was great (it was?) Okay then. -shrug-
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    51u6DYa3WYL._SX425_.jpg

I wish I had watched this for Halloween, and not From A House On Willow Street. It had been a few year since I had last watched Dog Soldiers, and while I remembered the gist of the story, I had forgotten some of the finer points. One of the scenes I most vividly remembered was while Sarge and Copper are upstairs, Spoon goes toe-to-toe with one of the wolves down in the kitchen, throwing everything but the kitchen sink at the wolf. The Dog survives, which is always a bonus.

It really is a fun ride. Spoon was a great character, but every character was given a few great lines each and every actor sold those lines really well. It's a film that's in on its own joke without rubbing it in your face. It doesn't aim to be a masterpiece, it just wants to be a bloody good time.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    51u6DYa3WYL._SX425_.jpg

It really is a fun ride. Spoon was a great character, but every character was given a few great lines each and every actor sold those lines really well. It's a film that's in on its own joke without rubbing it in your face. It doesn't aim to be a masterpiece, it just wants to be a bloody good time.

As a horror film it ticked all the right boxes.

Normally I enjoy horror sequels, but this is one time I am glad that a sequel (or sidequel) never happened.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    51u6DYa3WYL._SX425_.jpg

As a horror film it ticked all the right boxes.

Normally I enjoy horror sequels, but this is one time I am glad that a sequel (or sidequel) never happened.

Such a great start for Marshall, love it, like you say it knows what it is and doesn't try to be anything else.

Neil Marshall then made one of the best films of this century and after that never lived up to his promise. At least we have this and The Descent, such a shame after his 2nd film really thought he'd go places but ever since nowhere near that.

Not interested in Hellboy and yes he did direct some memorable episodes of GOT but after such a promising start with Dog Soldiers and the totally knocking it out the park with The Descent, seems a lost opportunity in my book.
    DELICATESSEN (1991)
    Jean pierre Jeunet and Marc Caros quirky post apocalyptic comedy about a butcher who keeps his customers supplied with cannibalistic wares. Enter Dominique Pinon as the ex clown who falls for his daughter and with the aid of a bizarre underground movement brings an end to his empire.
    Saw this in the cinema when released, very Terry Gilliamesque in tone, visually superb, with a rich array of characters and great set pieces! ( the water finale is marvellous!)
    Oh and the title sequence is brilliant, the names written on pieces of rubbish! A quirky delight!
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    DELICATESSEN (1991)
    Jean pierre Jeunet and Marc Caros quirky post apocalyptic comedy about a butcher who keeps his customers supplied with cannibalistic wares. Enter Dominique Pinon as the ex clown who falls for his daughter and with the aid of a bizarre underground movement brings an end to his empire.
    Saw this in the cinema when released, very Terry Gilliamesque in tone, visually superb, with a rich array of characters and great set pieces! ( the water finale is marvellous!)
    Oh and the title sequence is brilliant, the names written on pieces of rubbish! A quirky delight!

It is indeed a delightful movie. I should re-watch, it's been a while...
  • peterpeter Toronto
    DELICATESSEN (1991)

I also saw this when released-- so rich in the visuals @Mathis1... it has stuck with me over the past, what ? over 25 years??
  • edited November 2018 Posts: 2,107
    My Dinner with Hervé
    Once Upon a Time in the West
    My Name Is Nobody
    DELICATESSEN (1991)

Splendid film. Required viewing for anyone trying to understand the style of Alien Resurrection!
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    DELICATESSEN (1991)

Splendid film. Required viewing for anyone trying to understand the style of Alien Resurrection!

Yes, Jeunet did a great job there,..another brilliant underwater sequence too, though the ending was disappointing.Great cast, with Pinon in there as well.
    Has anyone ever seen a movie he did called MICMACS? Crazy storyline about an ordinary Joe who gets shot and tries to bring two arms dealers to justice for it. I always thought it's how the Mission Impossible movies should have been done. If you see it you'll know why!!
    DELICATESSEN (1991)

Saw it when it was first released, @Mathis1 and it blew me away. You're right about it being reminiscent of Terry Gilliam's work. Quirky rich visuals and odd delightful characters.

I must re-visit it soon.

By the way, have you seen their other work, The City Of Lost Children?

A bizarre and nightmarish fairytale. Suprised Tim Burton hasn't remade it!
    DELICATESSEN (1991)

Saw it when it was first released, @Mathis1 and it blew me away. You're right about it being reminiscent of Terry Gilliam's work. Quirky rich visuals and odd delightful characters.

I must re-visit it soon.

I have indeed Leonardpine, another visual delight. Jeunet also did another movie called A Very Long Engagement, with a surprising appearance from Jodie Foster. He tones down the visuals for it, but worth a look.
    And of course he did the much lauded Amelie, another little gem.
    DELICATESSEN (1991)

I must re-visit it soon.

I have indeed Leonardpine, another visual delight. Jeunet also did another movie called A Very Long Engagement, with a surprising appearance from Jodie Foster. He tones down the visuals for it, but worth a look.
    And of course he did the much lauded Amelie, another little gem.

I must admit i haven't seen Amelie or MicMacs. Must look them up.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible

What a special movie that is. Truly delightful and engrossing.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Kiss Me Deadly

First time viewing with this one, and I loved it. Ralph Meeker was essentially effortlessly cool in the role of Mike Hammer, and he had quite the ecclectic, intriguing slate of supporting characters surrounding him throughout that kept me guessing until that explosive, unexpected almost science-fiction-esque ending. Couldn't help but notice that one plot device in particular seemed to heavily inspire a particular feature of Quentin Tarantino's. All in all a great film, can't wait to see it again. Also, kudos for this being the film debut of Cloris Leachman, she was beautiful and talented in her short time on screen.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    edited November 2018 Posts: 13,029
    Ooh that's a good one. Still another movie connection to the plot device is Alex Cox's film Repo Man.

daily_8.jpg
    This :
    As funny as ever,and Michael Keaton is on fire !!

51EZ3PXPRKL._SY445_.jpg
    Kiss Me Deadly

First time viewing with this one, and I loved it. Ralph Meeker was essentially effortlessly cool in the role of Mike Hammer, and he had quite the ecclectic, intriguing slate of supporting characters surrounding him throughout that kept me guessing until that explosive, unexpected almost science-fiction-esque ending. Couldn't help but notice that one plot device in particular seemed to heavily inspire a particular feature of Quentin Tarantino's. All in all a great film, can't wait to see it again. Also, kudos for this being the film debut of Cloris Leachman, she was beautiful and talented in her short time on screen.

Great film @Creasy47

Which ending did you get, the shocking one or the happy one...?!!! There are two versions.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Operation Finale (2018)
    El8aKMM.jpg

I viewed this Chris Weitz (The Golden Compass) directed drama a few nights ago. It’s based on a true story of Mossad’s abduction of former Nazi SS officer Adolf Eichmann from Argentina in 1961. I found it reasonably gripping and interesting, and it benefits from a strong cast including Oscar Isaac (who co-produces) as Peter Malkin – the heroic agent who physically captures Eichmann, Ben Kingsley as the SS officer, Melanie Laurent (Shosanna from Inglourious Basterds) & Joe Alwyn. Peter Strauss, Simon Russell Beale and Greta Scacchi (almost unrecognizable these days) also have small parts. There isn’t too much action, but the premise and performances keep it watchable, and it has a period aesthetic which I found compelling. The best scenes are those between Isaac and Kingsley, where both actors have an opportunity to showcase their acting skills while the Mossad officer attempts to psychologically extract a confession. Kingsley’s predicament and performance in the film reminded me of a similar role he played in 1994’s Death and the Maiden (a tremendous and highly recommended film by the way – & far better than this one). He is quite sedate in this film, and even comes across as mildly sympathetic at times, which may offend. This movie at times reminded me of Munich and The Debt, but is lower key than those two stellar efforts. Still, I enjoyed it.
    Kiss Me Deadly

Great film @Creasy47

Which ending did you get, the shocking one or the happy one...?!!! There are two versions.

I got the happy one; I believe I read it was the American ending that was meant to be the shocking one originally? The way it was described, they made it out like that ending simply doesn't exist anymore, but I figured it must in some format somewhere. Would be interested in seeing it.
    I have seen both versions but I didn't realise the happy ending one existed until it popped up on TV one day.

Whatever ending you get it's a great film.
    Agreed, I don't think I would've had an issue with either ending - would put a different take on things for sure, but it'd be just as incredible either way.
    Leaving Las Vegas (1995). Never saw this before, but I’m grateful I finally got around it. Instantly has become one of my favorite films. Absolutely perfect.
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Leaving Las Vegas (1995). Never saw this before, but I’m grateful I finally got around it. Instantly has become one of my favorite films. Absolutely perfect.

It's a great film @FoxRox with one of Nicholas Cage's best performances. A very bleak film but always engrossing.