Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• IGotTheMessageIGotTheMessage United States
    It isn't the last film that I have seen (which was Spectre), but I saw Gaslight (1944) again recently. That is a really strong movie.
    if I need a bat fix I reach for Jack Nicholson....
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Honouring George A. Romero, I revisited his first two 'DEAD' films, which are still the best zombie horror films of all time IMO.

NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD (theatrical cut)

night-of-the-living-dead-13.jpg?w=855

DAWN OF THE DEAD (domestic cut)

1246413_Dawn-Of-The-Dead.jpg

My personal zombie horror rankings:

1) Night Of The Living Dead (1968)
    2) Dawn Of The Dead (1978)
    3) 28 Days Later
    4) 28 Weeks Later
    5) Dawn Of The Dead (2004)
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited July 2017 Posts: 15,692
    Dunkirk (2017)

Absolutely spectacular film. The film is almost entirely a 100 minutes long battle sequence with almost no dialogue. The sheer sound of the gunshots/explosions/plane engines were incredible, the soundtrack is one of Zimmer's best, and the ensemble cast was fantastic - especially Kenneth Branagh, Tom Hardy, Mark Rylance and Cillian Murphy (but the young actors were very good too). Highly recommended film. Nolan is probably set for his first Best Director nomination.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Damn, I can't wait for this film.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I'll be seeing it on on Friday and will report back. Great to read the positive report @DaltonCraig007. In Nolan we trust.
    Dunkirk (2017)

Absolutely spectacular film. The film is almost entirely a 100 minutes long battle sequence with almost no dialogue. The sheer sound of the gunshots/explosions/plane engines were incredible, the soundtrack is one of Zimmer's best, and the ensemble cast were fantastic - especially Kenneth Branagh, Tom Hardy, Mark Rylance and Cillian Murphy (but the young actors were very good too). Highly recommended film. Nolan is probably set for his first Best Director nomination.

Pretty excited. I like most of Nolan's work pretty well - especially his Batman films and The Prestige. I will be seeing this at some point.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    The Marine 5!

More mindless fun from WWE Entertainment! Lol!

Did you say '5'? As in they made more past the first two?! Wow. I only ever saw the first, was generic and forgettable. Didn't know there was a market for four more of them!
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited July 2017 Posts: 13,904
    Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Next Generation (1994)
    In the words of Dr Sam Beckett "Oh boy!". Among the worst horror sequels I have seen. It's made all the worse to comprehend when you realize that The Next Generation was written/directed by Kim Henkel, who also co-wrote the original film. So the only one of the sequels that is faithful to the original, is the one that didn't feature the involvement of Tobe Hopper or Kim Henkel.

Chainsaw Rev-ometer:
    1. Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974)
    2. Leatherface: The Texas Chainsaw Massacre III (1990)
    3. Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 (1986)
    4. Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Next Generation (1994)
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Baby Driver (2017)

What an awesome film! Several stunning action scenes, a killer soundtrack, many hilarious one-liners, and fantastic performances from Jon Hamm, Kevin Spacey, Jon Bernthal and Jamie Foxx - the young lead actor, Ansel Elgort, was pretty good too, and Lily James is a total babe. This was a really fun film. Long live Edgar Wright!
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    The Marine 5!

More mindless fun from WWE Entertainment! Lol!

Did you say '5'? As in they made more past the first two?! Wow. I only ever saw the first, was generic and forgettable. Didn't know there was a market for four more of them!

@Creasy47, love that film. I usually don't believe in the "so bad it's good" film rule, but The Marine is definitely that. There are few things better than watching Robert Patrick both chew and swallow all the available scenery.

Plus, who wouldn't want to see a movie where, after the villain orders them to go check the generator, a henchman replies, "What if there's some guy up there with a hockey mask and a hatchet? Or... or a group of country ass crackers cravin' some man-love?"
  • edited July 2017 Posts: 17,335
    Night Moves (1975)
    Found Night Moves available on iTunes, and since it been way to long since I've seen a Gene Hackman-film, I took the opportunity to check it out. 70s mystery/thrillers rarely disappoint, and this one doesn't either!
    @MajorDSmythe

So far, I cannot disagree with your ranking. What did you think of that gratuitous topless flash we got in the film? I found it weird, like the mysterious well-dressed man. Strange film. But hey, Matthew McConaughey and Renée Zellweger were a lot of fun in this film. :)
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    @MajorDSmythe

So far, I cannot disagree with your ranking. What did you think of that gratuitous topless flash we got in the film? I found it weird, like the mysterious well-dressed man. Strange film. But hey, Matthew McConaughey and Renée Zellweger were a lot of fun in this film. :)

Yes, what on earth was that all about. She gets them out for reasons that aren't the least bit clear. At first, I thought the guy in the suit was in with the family, but... apparently not? I thought Zellwegger's jenny was a bit bland, as for Matthew McConaughey's Vilmer, ott doesn't begin to describe him. Why settle for the roof, when you can have the stars. It's not a surprise that it was filmed in 1994, but it wasn't given a wide release until 1997. Maybe it should have stayed that way.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Lovers' Rosy Stain
    @mattjoes, have you checked out the 80s Young Sherlock Holmes directed by Christopher Columbus? It's a sort of alternative universe Holmes and Watson story I think you'd like if you're into the original stories and don't mind a little tweaking with the mythos. The story essentially takes the characters and sets their meeting against the backdrop of an English school with a young Holmes and Watson joining for the first time.

I remember watching bits and pieces of it on TV a few years ago, and enjoying them. Thanks for reminding me of it, I might check it out once again!
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Night Moves (1975)
    Found Night Moves available on iTunes, and since it been way to long since I've seen a Gene Hackman-film, I took the opportunity to check it out. 70s mystery/thrillers rarely disappoint, and this one doesn't either!

I need to do a rewatch too, @Torgeirtrap. I love noirs that mix up what you expect in new settings or in new eras outside the original 40s films, and Night Moves represents that twist. Glad you enjoyed.
    mattjoes wrote: »
    @mattjoes, have you checked out the 80s Young Sherlock Holmes directed by Christopher Columbus? It's a sort of alternative universe Holmes and Watson story I think you'd like if you're into the original stories and don't mind a little tweaking with the mythos. The story essentially takes the characters and sets their meeting against the backdrop of an English school with a young Holmes and Watson joining for the first time.

I remember watching bits and pieces of it on TV a few years ago, and enjoying them. Thanks for reminding me of it, I might check it out once again!

@mattjoes, if you do see it be sure to post your thoughts. It seems to be a very forgotten film even among the Sherlock Holmes fans, so I love to see it get exposure or appreciation. I'd love to see the cast from that film do a grown up Holmes film now that they're past the age of the original characters in the stories.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited July 2017 Posts: 23,883
    Closer (2004)
    PX8K7Ec.jpg

I’d been meaning to watch this film for some time, but just kept avoiding it. Dramas of this nature aren’t normally my thing, but I had a good time with Joy a few night back and so took a chance. I must say I quite enjoyed this one. It’s got a cracking cast (you can’t get much better than Clive Owen, Julia Roberts, Jude Law and Natalie Portman). The film was written by Patrick Marber, who also penned a play with the same name, and is directed by the late Mike Nichols (Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?, The Graduate, Carnal Knowledge & The Birdcage). It’s set in London and follows the lives of four residents over the course of a number of years as their lives intertwine. At the start Alice (Portman) has just arrived from the US and strikes up a relationship with Dan (Law), a writer, after a chance meeting on the busy streets of the city. A year later Dan considers straying after falling at first sight for photographer Anna (Roberts), but she resists. Upset, he inadvertently and hilariously arranges a meeting for her with Larry (Owen), a single and randy dermatologist. Anna and Larry get married even though Dan is still in the picture, and eventually this leads to complications for all.

This is an interesting & provocative film. The performances are excellent and riveting, as should be expected from this quality cast. The dialogue is sometimes acerbic and occasionally witty & the film has some intriguing messages on the elusiveness of true intimacy and the malleability of enduring love in today’s disposable age. I found it interesting that Alice, a stripper, is the one who maintains the most integrity in her relationships. It reminds me a little of Woody Allen's, Aaron Sorkin’s & Whit Stillman's work, although it's not quite up to their best.
  • Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead ('78), 28 Days Later..., and Shaun of the Dead are all absolutely in my Top 5 zombie films of all time. I think Romero's Day of the Dead comfortably rounds out that Top 5 for me.

Beyond that, I Walked With a Zombie from 1943 (not your typical zombie flick!) and Cemetery Man (a very European and very existential mid-'90s take on the genre) score high marks. [REC] from Spain scores high in the technical achievement category. Return of the Living Dead from '85 scores high in the plain silly fun category. And out of our most recent wave of relentless zombie cinema, I've rather enjoyed Zombieland and especially Robert Rodriguez's Planet Terror, though they could hardly be called classics of the genre.

1990's Night of the Living Dead (written by Romero, directed by Tom Savini) was actually a pretty darned good remake, too. They hewed close to the original on all the right things and departed on the right things too, most notably changing Barbara from an obnoxious and useless screaming wimp to a badass played by Laura Dern's stunt double from Jurassic Park.

And finally, while not strictly a zombie film, the Vincent Price version of Matheson's zombie-esque vampire novella, I Am Legend—entitled The Last Man on Earth—was basically a pre-Night of the Living Dead Night of the Living Dead. Quite good. Worth watching. Best version of that book put on film, in my opinion.
  • Birdleson wrote: »
    I Walked With a Zombie from 1943 (not your typical zombie flick!) and Cemetery Man

The first is excellent, but I wouldn't categorize it with the others mentioned. I do like CEMETERY MAN, but not enough to put it in that group.

Yes, you're right, apart from simply having a zombie (albeit a voodoo zombie), the film in no way resembles the flesh-eating shufflers (or runners?) of zombie cinema.
  • I've seen Cat People and Out of the Past—great films, both! Night of the Demon is one I've been meaning to get to, and I'll look into The Leopard Man.

Yes, Stacey's tomorrow! Looking forward to it!
  • I'm sure it's still quality. I'll keep it on my radar.
    Night Moves (1975)

I need to do a rewatch too, @Torgeirtrap. I love noirs that mix up what you expect in new settings or in new eras outside the original 40s films, and Night Moves represents that twist. Glad you enjoyed.

I really did! Difficult to draw comparison with Night Moves and other films, but it felt like your typical noir-story mixed with the style of Three Days of the Condor, or something like that. This is probably what I liked most with Night Moves.

I also bought another 70's thriller - Klute, a while back, but haven't had time to check it out yet. Look forward to that.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    1) Night Of The Living Dead (1968)
    2) Dawn Of The Dead (1978)
    3) 28 Days Later
    4) 28 Weeks Later
    5) Dawn Of The Dead (2004)

I'm with you on the first 3, but I would have to include The Night Of The Seagulls, and possibly Shaun Of The Dead to round out my top 5.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Just recently watched 28 Weeks Later for the first time in awhile. I'd give you all a ranking of my top 5 zombie movies, but that would probably be everything I own at #1, and Day of the Dead 2: Contagium at #5.
    I like Shaun Of The Dead. I would also films like Rec and White Zombie, Planet Terror and Pontypool, Zombi 2 and Zombieland as great zombie flicks. Dance of the Dead is a guilty pleasure of mine. And if Outpost counts as a zombie film, well, count me in then. Then there's Hammer's The Plague Of The Zombies, and many more. I even like Warm Bodies.

But World War Z was an uninteresting adaptation of an otherwise very good book. And I have never liked any of the Return Of The Living Dead films, except when Linnea Quigley does what she's best known for. ;-)
    @DarthDimi given you mention Pontypool as a great zombie flick, you have my vote whenever you decide to run for President of the world.
    I am president of the world already. The world simply doesn't know it yet. I will make you head of the Asian cinema division, @DaltonCraig007.
    Waiting for your orders, @DarthDimi. ;)

3c9ffaec12e9df3037a02099736bfe73--korean-men-korean-actors.jpg
    THE REVENANT.

Wow! Just wow! What a stunning and gripping piece of cinema. Gripped from beginning to end and can see why it got the Oscar rewards. On a humorous note I wonder if that was the hardest script Leo had to learn? He hardly spoke throughout the film? Lol!
    THE REVENANT.

Wow! Just wow! What a stunning and gripping piece of cinema. Gripped from beginning to end and can see why it got the Oscar rewards. On a humorous note I wonder if that was the hardest script Leo had to learn? He hardly spoke throughout the film? Lol!

Yet he gave a brilliant performance, didn't he, @RogueAgent? Truly, seeing that film in the theatre was a wonderful experience. Everybody was silent. We felt the tension and the beauty of nature.