Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    SLP is one of my favorite films.
    The Majestic (2001). I really like this film. Great drama concerning the 50s Communist witch hunt. Watched tonight in honor of Martin Landau.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited July 2017 Posts: 15,692
    Forgot to post that I saw Spiderman: Homecoming (2017) last week.

Really, really fun film. The 2 hours flew by, Tom Holland is awesome as Peter Parker, but Michael Keaton totally stole the show - what a fantastic actor, can't wait to see him in 'American Assassin' in a couple of months. The action scenes were damn good, and there was plenty of humour in the more quiet scenes - the sidekick Ned was a total riot. Downey Jr was also really cool to see appear in a few scenes. I can't wait to see more of Holland's Spiderman in future fims.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Lucky enough to have attended the Dublin premiere for DUNKIRK last night.

An exhilarating but flawed film that gets Nolan back on track after two duds in a row. On a primal level, the film is a beast. It rattles its way on to the screen and doesn't let up til the very end.

The peculiar choice to tell the story in a non-linear fashion drags the film down a notch or two unfortunately, with several time jumps being quite clumsy and jarring.

That being said, its a really immersive and visceral experience for the most part, with some stunningly well shot aerial battle sequences. I saw it in 70mm and will be seeing it on digital to compare the two when the film is out next week.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Leatherface: The Texas Chainsaw Massacre III (1990)
    The Texas Chainsaw Massacre film that is unfairly hardly ever talked about. Even the next film is talked about more, as a bad film, but still.
    As I remembered, this one is indeed faithful the tone of the original film (I get the impression that the director, Jeff Burr, wanted to make a proper sequel, but set some years later), though I think the original ending works better. Not only that, but it out-right ignores the previous film, Leatherface even walks with a leg brace, as a result of his injury at the climax of the first film.
    Leatherface having a daughter is an idea that begs to be continued in a sequel. Pity that never happened. Just think, in 2017, the Sawyer bloodline might still be alive and kicking.

Chainsaw Rev-ometer:
    1. Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974)
    2. Leatherface: The Texas Chainsaw Massacre III (1990)
    2. Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 (1986)

• Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    TCSM2 is such a disappointment for me, that I even like part 3 more because I consider it a step-up from 2. (Plus, Ken Foree. He's my mister cool from the 70s and 80s and beyond.) :)

I remember TCM3 actually better the best of the sequels, and much closer in tone to the original. That one I am looking forward to revisiting.
    @MajorSmythe - I think it's more slasher than giallo, but either or, you have to admit that some of the killings are too similar for F13th not to have been influenced by Bay. And thanks for recommending it; and I don't think Chain Saw could be considered a slasher, as you say there is very little on screen graphic violence, but a great study in terror and threat. Not seen TCSM2 yet, is it worth a viewing?

I can see how it might be looked on as a proto slasher. I have only watched that once. When I am finished with the TCSM series, I am clearly going to have to re-watch A Bay Of Blood. Did you get around to seeing Baron Blood & Lisa And The Devil (both also by Bava?

Its hard to say whether it is worth a viewing. How much do you like the original film? If the original could be summed up as bleak, the first sequel could be summed up as camp. I'll admit that there was one good jump scare at the radio station.

I have Baron Blood (Arrow Video) but as yet haven't got around to Lisa and The Devil; so many Arrow Videos to get, so little cash! And I'm on a bit of a Japanese cinema kick at the moment.
    I did think seeing the trailer to TCSM2 that it looked a little campy, and have to admit that did put me off a bit.
  • stagstag In the thick of it!
    'Villain' starring Richard Burton. An awful take on a gangster movie. I guess it was shocking for it's time but it hasn't aged well. The only thing that shocked me was that I stayed up 'til 2am watching it!
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain

An exhilarating but flawed film that gets Nolan back on track after two duds in a row. On a primal level, the film is a beast. It rattles its way on to the screen and doesn't let up til the very end.

The peculiar choice to tell the story in a non-linear fashion drags the film down a notch or two unfortunately, with several time jumps being quite clumsy and jarring.

That being said, its a really immersive and visceral experience for the most part, with some stunningly well shot aerial battle sequences. I saw it in 70mm and will be seeing it on digital to compare the two when the film is out next week.

Duds? I don't believe Nolan has ever made a "dud." The only one of his films I haven't seen, other than Dunkirk, is "Following" but the other have been great and well received. His last two movies were The Dark Knight Rises (2012) and Interstellar (2014) and those were far from duds.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I'd say 'The Dark Knight Rises' is the closest he's come to a dud. Definitely a stinker of a film in an otherwise incredibly classic trilogy, but overall, far from the worst film out there (and definitely not bad at all in comparison to some other trilogy conclusions that started out remarkable).
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited July 2017 Posts: 23,883
    TDKR is almost my favourite in the Nolan Bat trilogy. It's the one I reach for most often when I need a Bat fix. In fact, I'm feeling the need to revisit it again shortly. I love TDK but find it a bit overbearing for some reason. BB is awesome, but as an origin story I can only see it so many times (like CR).

I too have yet to see a dud from Nolan. He's just been a bit overindulgent of late, and it's good to read that he may be back on his game. His brother didn't write this one, did he? That may have something to do with it.
    edited July 2017 Posts: 40,544
    I really love TDK, but sometimes I feel like it's loved and hailed so much, so often, that it sort of takes away a little bit of it for me? If that makes any sense. Over the years, I've determined 'Batman Begins' is probably my favorite of the three.

I really enjoyed 'Interstellar,' that seems to be one of the few fans are the most divisive about.
    @bondjames I actually reach for Batman Begins when I need my Bat fix but TDKR is a close second. TDK is great but overrated and feels a bit too long. Roughly around the time Joker blows up the hospital is when I'm ready for it to be over but it has roughly 30 minutes left at that point. The thing is, I don't think there's any part of the movie that should've been left out of the film.
    As for his other films, I've enjoyed every one of them and Interstellar is in my top three Nolan films, just after Inception.
    There's something about the overconfident & unprepared hubristic return, followed by a 'back crushing' defeat and then a final triumphant comeback that draws me back to TDKR every time. Sort of like Rocky 3. I just wish they had handled Talia better (what a waste).

Interstellar is a bit emotional (wish he'd dialled back on that a bit) but it really gets you thinking.
    I just feel that TDK has been hailed endlessly as perfection and I've seen it so many times that I immediately opt to reach for 'Batman Begins' instead whenever I want to fire one up. Though in fact, I haven't watched the trilogy in one marathon in quite some time - or TDKR, for that matter, so maybe I'll have to change that soon.

The only films of his I've yet to see are 'Dunkirk' and 'Following.'
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    I still need to finish Memento
    I need to watch Memento and The Prestige again. I've only seen them once and it's been years but I remember really enjoying both.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    TCSM2 is such a disappointment for me, that I even like part 3 more because I consider it a step-up from 2. (Plus, Ken Foree. He's my mister cool from the 70s and 80s and beyond.) :)

I remember TCM3 actually better the best of the sequels, and much closer in tone to the original. That one I am looking forward to revisiting.
    @MajorSmythe - I think it's more slasher than giallo, but either or, you have to admit that some of the killings are too similar for F13th not to have been influenced by Bay. And thanks for recommending it; and I don't think Chain Saw could be considered a slasher, as you say there is very little on screen graphic violence, but a great study in terror and threat. Not seen TCSM2 yet, is it worth a viewing?

I can see how it might be looked on as a proto slasher. I have only watched that once. When I am finished with the TCSM series, I am clearly going to have to re-watch A Bay Of Blood. Did you get around to seeing Baron Blood & Lisa And The Devil (both also by Bava?

Its hard to say whether it is worth a viewing. How much do you like the original film? If the original could be summed up as bleak, the first sequel could be summed up as camp. I'll admit that there was one good jump scare at the radio station.

I have Baron Blood (Arrow Video) but as yet haven't got around to Lisa and The Devil; so many Arrow Videos to get, so little cash! And I'm on a bit of a Japanese cinema kick at the moment.
    I did think seeing the trailer to TCSM2 that it looked a little campy, and have to admit that did put me off a bit.

I have a small number of releases from Arrow video, but I still kick myself for not trying harder to get hold of a copy of Savage Streets (Linda Blair doing a Charles Bronson impression, sounds like my kind of film). I have no clue as to the sales of the DVD, but it felt like shops sold out rapidly.

It's probably best you avoid TCM2. Watch part III, it at least tried to be a faithful sequel.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    ON DANGEROUS GROUND

5230topDang.jpg

Beautiful film, one of the few in the film noir genre that leave the typical city setting and trade it for snow and desolation. A touching movie, starring Robert Ryan and Ida Lupino.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

Duds? I don't believe Nolan has ever made a "dud." The only one of his films I haven't seen, other than Dunkirk, is "Following" but the other have been great and well received. His last two movies were The Dark Knight Rises (2012) and Interstellar (2014) and those were far from duds.

I'm aware of what the films are, otherwise I wouldn't have made the comment in the first place.

Matter of opinion I guess. For me, TDKR falls apart after Bane drops Batsy over his knee and Interstellar quickly devolved into pretentious hokey once they head into space.

So yeah, for me, they're both creative duds.

Either way, Dunkirk leaves them in the sand.
    ON DANGEROUS GROUND

5230topDang.jpg

Beautiful film, one of the few in the film noir genre that leave the typical city setting and trade it for snow and desolation. A touching movie, starring Robert Ryan and Ida Lupino.

Very good film. Love the snow setting.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    ON DANGEROUS GROUND

5230topDang.jpg

Very good film. Love the snow setting.

One I need to check out too. I love noirs, and love it all the more when the genre is given a twist (and setting isn't one that overtly comes to mind).
  • @MajorSmythe - I think it's more slasher than giallo, but either or, you have to admit that some of the killings are too similar for F13th not to have been influenced by Bay. And thanks for recommending it; and I don't think Chain Saw could be considered a slasher, as you say there is very little on screen graphic violence, but a great study in terror and threat. Not seen TCSM2 yet, is it worth a viewing?

I saw Bay of Blood for the first time pretty recently. I think (like Argento's early giallos) it definitely falls under the category of films that were influential to the first slashers, but does not actually belong to the genre. There is, as you mentioned, that 20-25 minute segment in the middle that plays out very much like a proto-Friday the 13th with four teenagers smoking reefers and having sex by a lake, then getting butchered in colorful ways, but the rest of the film is an overly convoluted family plot of scheming and murder that really doesn't go along with the slasher formula. A very influential film on the genre though, yes. (And that ending!)
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England

I saw Bay of Blood for the first time pretty recently. I think (like Argento's early giallos) it definitely falls under the category of films that were influential to the first slashers, but does not actually belong to the genre. There is, as you mentioned, that 20-25 minute segment in the middle that plays out very much like a proto-Friday the 13th with four teenagers smoking reefers and having sex by a lake, then getting butchered in colorful ways, but the rest of the film is an overly convoluted family plot of scheming and murder that really doesn't go along with the slasher formula. A very influential film on the genre though, yes. (And that ending!)

Yes, and it is referred to as a giallo in the blurb on the back,
    but with no one killer, everyone seems to be killing just anyone, and no investigation and denouement,
    I have to say as I was watching it, it seemed more slasher than giallo, but that's just my opinion.
    edited July 2017 Posts: 23,613
    DEAD OF NIGHT

1.jpg

This 1945 horror anthology film with, amongst others, a delicious Michael Regrave and Roland Culver, takes a little while to build momentum but once there, it takes off like a jet. The Ventriloquist sequence is itself a classic of cinema history. Not a movie everyone will enjoy in 2017, but certainly recommended to fans of 40s horror.
    The Marine 5!

More mindless fun from WWE Entertainment! Lol!
  • mattjoesmattjoes Lovers' Rosy Stain
    The last I saw was Sherlock Holmes in New York. I'm not a Holmes connoisseur, but I enjoyed it. It had a mostly solid and ingenious, if not extraordinary plot; it kept moving at a fast pace; Roger Moore was quite terrific as Holmes (a variation of sorts on his ffolkes), and he had, as expected, great chemistry with Patrick Macnee as Watson. John Huston as Moriarty was slightly underused, but to the film's credit, after the opening scene, his presence was felt throughout the rest of the story, even if he was nowhere in sight. Charlotte Rampling was good, especially in the last scenes, which were quite touching and an appropriate winding down of the story. The music score, by Richard Rodney Bennett, was enjoyable, too. I wouldn't have minded more Holmes films with this cast and crew.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @mattjoes, have you checked out the 80s Young Sherlock Holmes directed by Christopher Columbus? It's a sort of alternative universe Holmes and Watson story I think you'd like if you're into the original stories and don't mind a little tweaking with the mythos. The story essentially takes the characters and sets their meeting against the backdrop of an English school with a young Holmes and Watson joining for the first time.
    War for the Planet of the Apes (2017)
    6A4ftp6.jpg

This is a great film & a welcome third act in the rebooted trilogy. Director Matt Reeves does for apes what Nolan did for comic book films here - namely he transcends the genre & creates a grounded universe with sympathetic characters we can relate to and root for, while delivering a compelling message. What’s incredible is that these are, for the most part, motion capture characters but they exhibit tremendous ‘humanity’ (ironically), for lack of a better word. That is a testament to the seamless technology, but also the wonderful direction and acting. Once again, the film revolves around the central reluctant hero, Ceasar, played brilliantly by Andy Serkis. He and his fellow apes had escaped to a sanctuary in the jungle at the end of the last film, where they are attempting to co-exist with humans. Unfortunately they are tracked by a ruthless lunatic Colonel (Woody Harrelson, in a particularly chilling turn), head of a renegade paramilitary group. When Ceasar encounters tragic & consequential personal loss, he is overcome by grief and must now choose between turning the other cheek (which was his earlier preferred position) or an eye for an eye. Was Koba, his fellow lab ape and antagonist in Dawn of the Planet of the Apes right after all? Is violence and total victory the only path? This moral dilemma haunts Ceasar as he contemplates next steps and serves as one of the film’s core messages. He is accompanied by his trusted friends Maurice (the wise, peace loving orangutan), Rocket (the chimpanzee who was his former rival in the first film) & Luca (the huge genetically modified ape). They are joined on their quest by a speechless little girl Nova (Amiah Miller, who does so much here without saying a word) and a lonely lab simian known as Bad Ape, who provides a lot of the comic relief.

This is a film which resonates. It’s an allegory on our mistrusting, suspicious, ‘us against them’ war mongering world. This is not traditional popcorn entertainment - its messages are serious and told in a compelling manner. What's amazing is that the film is narrated primarily from the perspective of the apes, who are the central characters here (the humans hardly have much to say) and yet the drama is credible, heart stirringly emotional and coherent. The score by Michael Giacchino is a work of genius, with some truly wonderful cues and melodies which complement the proceedings. This joins the LoTR, Bourne & Bat trilogies as one of the best I’ve seen. I recently learned that Matt Reeves will be directing the next solo Batman film & I’m very encouraged, on the basis of his work here. Recommended.
    Glad you liked the film, @bondjames. I had the good fortune of marathoning these recent Apes films last week and after all those powerful hours of strong emotional investment, I felt almost absolved if you know what I mean. WAR is a great film indeed and needn't be the final chapter if you ask me.
    @DarthDimi, I should have viewed the first two before seeing War, because I had forgotten some of the details. I really feel like revisiting them again and then perhaps going back to see this last one again. Like the very best trilogies, it's very difficult for me to pick one as my favourite. They all have their strong points. Like you, I hope they make more of these, as long as they can keep the quality up to this level.