Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    thedove wrote: »
    Horrible Bosses!

I am a fan of Jason Bateman and usually love what he does. I really enjoyed this film. I didn't know much about Charlie Day but he was a good sidekick and Jason Sudekis was good as the horny friend. The bosses were truly horrible. Especially Spacey! Overall an enjoyable comedy. Worth a watch!

I love both this and the sequel. The latter being horribly received. But they are both good, dumb fun..
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

One of the dumbest films I ever saw.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @Thunderfinger, but it's "scientifically authentic"!
    Yeah, I still prefer the Matt Damon version.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    The Girl With All The Gifts (2016)

Goes straight near the top of my list of favorite horror movies. I love post-apocalyptic movies, so when you add zombies to the mix, you'll always have my money. Glenn Close, Paddy Considine, Gemma Arterton and the main young actress all give powerhouse performances, the action scenes are very thrilling, the plot was really interesting, and it had the level of originality that sets it apart from many other films of the zombie genre. It reminded me of the Canadian horror flick 'Pontypool', a movie I have a big affection for. I can't wait to own this film on Blu Ray.
    I saw this one a couple weeks ago, it was excellent.

Among its pluses are the cast, and the way it neatly fits into a 28 DAYS LATER sort of universe. Another tale with the same setup. A wicked logic to things, with frustrating actions by folks in these dire straits being a given and also understandable. It worked good for me.

Another big plus:
    it embraces the sort of Richard Matheson-style ending that the film I AM LEGEND ignored.
    I, THE JURY (1953)

Biff Elliot as Mike Hammer in the first film on Mickey Spillane's classic private eye. Hammer goes to avenge the murder of a war buddy who lost an arm to save Mike's life in WWII. Excellent John Alton cinematography with noirish shadows and angles.
    Elliot's Hammer reminds me a bit of a cross between Dead End Kid Leo Gorcey and Jack Larson. Still, he does an alright job as Mike and looks good in the trench coat and fedora. With Elisha Cook Jr.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Bullet To The Head (2013). Just watched the blu ray & I have to say this is one fun ride. Walter Hill knows how to be rude, crude & totally non-PC. I won't spoil it for newcomers, but it's another unlikely buddy flick, not art, but badassery abounds. Welcome back to the 80's.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Bullet To The Head (2013). Just watched the blu ray & I have to say this is one fun ride. Walter Hill knows how to be rude, crude & totally non-PC. I won't spoil it for newcomers, but it's another unlikely buddy flick, not art, but badassery abounds. Welcome back to the 80's.
    I've seen that one. Enjoyed it. Classic 80s Stallone actioner.
    Well here goes! Wait for it!!!
    The Marine 1,2,3,4.....

It's been epic with John Cena, Ted Debiase and Mike Minihan! Popcorn numb fest which took me back to the 80's action heroes of old! Lol!
    THE GREAT TRAIN ROBBERY (1978)
    A step away from author/director Michael Crichtons usual science fiction, this an entertaining caper movie with Sean Connery, Donald Sutherland and the lovely Lesley Anne Down as the group planning to rob gold bullion from a moving train! Great fun with top notch production, Jerry Goldsmiths rousing score, Geoffrey Unsworth cinematography and just watch Connery doing his own stunts at the climax!
    Arrival (2016)
    This film was so stupid and boring.
  • 001 wrote: »
    Arrival (2016)
    This film was so stupid and boring.

It was all right. I expected a bit more from all the hype to be honest. The film was overall well done, but it was a very long and slow build up that really lived for the twist at the end. It was a good twist to be fair, but I don't know how much the film would reward on repeat viewings.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    ARRIVAL was an audio-visual and intellectual experience I would rank as the best I had in cinemas last year.
  • edited July 2017 Posts: 2,081
    talos7 wrote: »
    I loved the 2009 Emma, in large part due to the lead. Lol.

Well, different strokes. :) Good that you enjoyed. For me, she felt too serious and not lively enough for the character.
    thedove wrote: »
    Horrible Bosses!

I am a fan of Jason Bateman and usually love what he does. I really enjoyed this film. I didn't know much about Charlie Day but he was a good sidekick and Jason Sudekis was good as the horny friend. The bosses were truly horrible. Especially Spacey! Overall an enjoyable comedy. Worth a watch!

Definitely different strokes there... :)
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    I, THE JURY (1953)

Biff Elliot as Mike Hammer in the first film on Mickey Spillane's classic private eye. Hammer goes to avenge the murder of a war buddy who lost an arm to save Mike's life in WWII. Excellent John Alton cinematography with noirish shadows and angles.
    Elliot's Hammer reminds me a bit of a cross between Dead End Kid Leo Gorcey and Jack Larson. Still, he does an alright job as Mike and looks good in the trench coat and fedora. With Elisha Cook Jr.

This sounds like something I should watch. So many movies to watch...
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    THE GREAT TRAIN ROBBERY (1978)
    A step away from author/director Michael Crichtons usual science fiction, this an entertaining caper movie with Sean Connery, Donald Sutherland and the lovely Lesley Anne Down as the group planning to rob gold bullion from a moving train! Great fun with top notch production, Jerry Goldsmiths rousing score, Geoffrey Unsworth cinematography and just watch Connery doing his own stunts at the climax!

I've seen this a couple of decades ago, and should probably re-watch since I don't actually even remember it...

---

Some more... there were reasons for watching all of these, usually actors, sometimes director, sometimes something else. Most were pretty meh. Some were really bad. Some were worth watching.

Almost Famous (2000)
    Beautiful Creatures (2000)

Susan Lynch and Rachel Weisz were both good, and this was a pretty good crime drama.
    Blow (2001)
    The Last Castle (2001)
    White Oleander (2002)

Interesting, and the cast did a good job.
    Mark Of A Murderer (2002)
    John Q (2002)
    The Hours (2002)

Complex and well acted.
    Nicholas Nickleby (2002)
    Cypher (2002)
    dot the i (2003)
    Big Fish (2003)
    The Statement (2003)
    Elephant (2003)

A Gus Van Sant film that shows the mindlessness and the randomness of a school massacre in an unpolished and interesting way.
    The Door In The Floor (2004)
    I Heart Huckabees (2004)
    The Manchurian Candidate (2004)

Interesting. I should watch the original sometime.
    Finding Neverland (2004)
    Pretty and sentimental, yet likable, Kate Winslet and Johnny Depp were both good in this.
    Vanity Fair (2004)
    Kinky Boots (2005)

Chiwetel Ejiofor absolutely stole the show, and this was already worth watching for him alone.
    I saw the musical in London a couple of years ago. Didn't love that or this, but both were okay, and the true story is interesting, but somewhat too polished for screen and stage.
    Transamerica (2005)
    The River King (2005)

I really don't now why I watched this in the first place. Waste of time for sure.
    Angel-A (2005)
    Well, this Luc Besson film looks great; the cinematography is beautiful, but that's about it.
    Away From Her (2006)
    I didn't care that much for the movie on the whole, but it wasn't bad. Julie Christie deserved her Oscar nomination for the leading role.
    The Dead Girl (2006)
    Interesting.
    The Good German (2006)
    It tried hard, but well... Not bad, but meh. The Casablanca tributes didn't really work, either, they were just underlining how much inferior this was.
    Inside Man (2006)
    Idiocracy (2006)

We're pretty much there by now I guess...
    Persuasion (2007)
    Pretty forgettable. But I do remember rolling my eyes at the kissing scene, that was so painfully out of place.
    Things We Lost In The Fire (2007)
    A Susanne Bier movie. Surprisingly good in that I fully expected it to go the way such a movie would go most of the time, and then, to its credit, it didn't. I liked both leads (Halle Berry, Benicio del Toro) here, too.
    The Number 23 (2007)
    This was terrible. I must have seen somebody somewhere say something positive about this since I even watched. I had to check afterwards, since I couldn't believe this could have been widely praised or anything, and indeed, apparently it was generally trashed, and Carrey got a Razzie nomination for it.
    Becoming Jane (2007)
    Before The Devil Knows You're Dead (2007)

I hadn't seen this before, and it has PSH in it so obviously I had to. And it was pretty good, too.
    Atonement (2007)
    I liked this. This is also a movie that looks better than some far more expensive ones. Of course that's usually more down to skill both at movie-making and reasonable money-spending rather than money. I was surprised by its relatively modest budget.
    Michael Clayton (2007)
    This was really good. For some reason I hadn't seen this before, but I want to re-watch.
    Mr. Brooks (2007)
    Amazingly, this unconvincing and silly mess was supposed to become a trilogy - why, I can't even imagine.
    Disgrace (2008)
    Eww.
    Left Bank (2008)
    Eww.
    Sunshine Cleaning (2008)
    Easy Virtue (2008)
    The Other Boleyn Girl (2008)

Natalie Portman was very good, Scarlett Johanson was good, Eric Bana was boring, the movie was meh.
    How To Lose Friends And Alienate People (2008)
    The Duchess (2008)
    Chéri (2009)

A Stephen Frears movie. Michelle Pfeiffer was excellent in this, but the movie completely failed to show any reason she could been attracted to or cared for that unattractive, immature ass of a character Rupert Friend played, so... a fail.
    Thick As Thieves (2009)
    So, at this time Tom Hardy was still doing some 2-minute nothing role in generic nothing movie like this? Oh.
    State Of Play (2009)
    I liked the miniseries. I liked this as well.
    Fantastic Mr. Fox (2009)
    The Young Victoria (2009)
    Julie & Julia (2009)
    I Love You Phillip Morris (2009)
    Moon (2009)
    Duplicity (2009)

Unfortunately this was nowhere near as good as the director's Michael Clayton. This certainly wouldn't have inspired me to watch that, so good thing I saw that one first.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited July 2017 Posts: 23,883
    Baby Driver (2017)
    fQNs5tO.jpg

I don't know anything about Edgar Wright. So I went into this film without any expectations. I certainly enjoyed it, but am somewhat surprised by all the adulation it's receiving. The film undoubtedly has excellent performances by everyone, most notably by Lily James as lonely waitress Debora who yearns for something more, and Jon Hamm as a hardened criminal. Ansel Elgort, who plays the eponymous Baby, is quite good too. His character, an eccentric getaway driver who appears empty headed but who is actually sharp as a razor, is intriguing & original. Kevin Spacey, Jamie Foxx, Elza Gonzales & Jon Bernthal all hold their own as well.

Ultimately, the film is pretty much your standard heist drama, with a few twists here and there. It has some breathtaking & very tightly edited car chase sequences to keep aficionados of that sort of thing entertained. The romance at the centre of it is quite genuine and resonates too. The real star of this film however is the soundtrack, which has some outstanding classic tracks beautifully interwoven into the narrative. It's essentially a wonderfully choreographed music video.

This is well worth a watch, but I came out of it thinking the almost unanimous praise the film is receiving is a little overdone.
  • Birdleson wrote: »
    YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN (1973) with my nephew. I must have seen this ten times in the theatre as a kid (matinees were only 50 cents if you were under 13).

Such a good movie. Brooks' best, IMO.
  • I have yet to see The Producers, but otherwise those are my thoughts on Brooks' films as well, Blazing Saddles being a close #2 for me. I do enjoy Silent Movie as a bit of a curiosity and Dracula: Dead and Loving It can be more entertaining than it has any right to be in the right mindset.
  • edited July 2017 Posts: 3,336
    Zerkalo (1975)

A bit slow, but interesting to watch nonetheless.

Moonstruck (1987)

Decent film

Oldboy (2003)

Got blown away the first time, this rewatch was a bit dissapointing, but still a very good film.

Spider-Man 3 (2007)

I understand why this film gets so much hate, very bad film.

The LEGO Batman Movie (2017)

Laughed alot in the first 3-4 mins after that not so much. Decent overall.

Batman: The Movie (1966)

Not a fan of campy superhero movies, therefore i didn't like this one.

Barton Fink (1991)

Thought i would enjoy this one, but i didn't.

Adaptation. (2002)

Another dissapointing film, although not bad.

The NeverEnding Story (1984)

Trash film. I can't see anyone liking this film, if they didn't grow up with it.

Before the Devil Knows You're Dead (2007)

Decent film.

The Last of the Mohicans (1992)

Decent film.

A Simple Plan (1998)

The premise itself is good enough to set up a quite suspenseful film, but they just overflooded it with a bunch of unnecessary subplots.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    edited July 2017 Posts: 1,812
    Captain America: Civil War
    large_large_5N20rQURev5CNDcMjHVUZhpoCNC.jpg

Yesterday was Independence Day here in the States so I felt I needed to watch something at least slightly patriotic. Plus, I've been watching all the Spider-Man films and wanted to watch his first screen appearance in the MCU before I see Spider-Man: Homecoming this week or early next week.
    Civil War is a great MCU film but I don't think I have it placed in my top five. I really think this movie should've been an Avengers title or they should've just called it MARVEL'S Civil War. Making it a Captain America title seems like you should automatically side with Cap. I would either way but still.
    Watching Black Panther on screen this time around has me excited for his movie. The guy is slowly making his way to one of my favorite heroes. And of course seeing my favorite hero, Spider-Man, on screen is a major plus for me. Spidey is probably my favorite part of this movie. Anytime he was on screen I never took my eyes off of him, even when there were other things going on around him. Holland has really nailed this role and I can't wait to see him in Spider-Man: Homecoming. His suit is my favorite not just from the movies but the comic books as well. I don't think it's nessassary to make him completely CGI though. They should've just made his mask, or even just the eyes, CGI.
    latest?cb=20160830163829

Captain America trilogy ranking:
    The Winter Soldier
    Civil War
    The First Avenger

EDIT: Also, the only dumb thing about this movie comes from Team Iron-Man. They say the excuse for controlling the Avengers is because of all the collateral damage the Avengers caused. Every single one of the causes wasn't because of the Avengers themselves. They listed the alien invasion of New York, that was because of Loki. S.H.I.E.L.D. being infiltrated by Hydra... that was S.H.I.E.L.D.'s fault. Ultron... that was Tony's. Scarlet Witch did what she could to save everyone from the explosion in Wakanda and she wasn't the cause of the explosion. She saved everyone on the ground, thus probably saving more lives. To me it's just a huge plot hole that's right in our faces but it's just covered up with the way they present it.
    Spider-Man : Homecoming

Definitely got Spidey right this time around. At last a wisecracking Spider-Man from the comics. No angst this time around. It was fun.

Keaton was decent as Vulture. Second and the best superhero movie that I have seen this year.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Spider-Man Homecoming

A fun film that was surprisingly better than I thought it was going to be. Numerous great moments.

9/10

Excellent movie!
  • edited July 2017 Posts: 4,622
    TomCruise in The Mummy
    1 * out of 5.
    This is one the worst films I've seen, which is surprising as Tom usually delivers entertaining fare.
    Not this time.The film is pure tedium. Headache inducing even, with all the cgi-generated headsplitting action.
    It even sets up for a sequel, a series of sequels no less.
    Please no.
    The concept of secret societies of monster hunters is interesting, but it's been done much better in other film and tv eg Buffy, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Van Helsing, even Hellboy.
    I found the movie dumb, and also way too frantic,crashingly loud, over-the-top, not to mention way too much dark lighting with endless cave, underground and night settings.
    The Monuments Men.

What a thought provoking movie! Never knew about Hitler and the whole mass stealing/looting of art. Fantastic cast and film. It has even made me want to goto Brugee to see the Madonna with the baby. Excellent film.
    suckerpunch_keyart.jpg?itok=rf6wxRri
    This movie has some obvious qualities, but sorry to say I didn t like it.
    I wanted to like it, too, back in the day. But, it just wasn't to be.

I guess I'd have preferred if they actually were fighters rather than envisioning their skills in their minds.
    There are a lot of really bad covers of really good songs in the soundtrack too. Is that symbolic in any way?
    I could have done without the soundtrack, too.

They should have went with the idea of female Expendables set in an unusual fantasy world cross between World War I and 21st century (as we've seen) rather than depicting the whole story in a mental asylum.

The production design and the visual effects are stunning, though.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Blade Runner: The Final Cut

image6-1000x600.jpg

I've had a long history with this film, without ever seeing it. As an ardent film fan I'd catch references to it from a young age and always looked forward to the time when I could approach it to experience what others had. I heard tell of how many different cuts there were out there of this film and wondered how that happened, and the sheer scope of getting into the movie and experiencing all of it in every variation put me off from it for a long while, until a few weeks ago when I found a copy of the final cut (Ridley Scott's so-called vision for it) and decided to pick it up. I promised to force myself to finally watch it, and here we are.

I am very crestfallen as a film fan who was looking forward to singing this film's praises to high heaven, as I thought it was just an uneven, rather bad mess of a picture. I loved the visuals and world I saw portrayed in pictures screen-grabbed from the film over the years and was so excited to get immersed into a story that was billed to me as a noir and science-fiction combo. One of the biggest issues I now have with the film is that it really doesn't deliver on either of those approaches, the areas where most of my interest and drive to see it existed. The sci-fi, futuristic world seems so fascinating and compelling when its introduced, as are the stakes and culture of the location we see, and all of that promise is never actually delved into beyond random bits of dialogue and an opening bit of text based exposition that tells us all the cool stuff we don't get to see. As for the noir style of it, the "mystery" of the film and the noir archetypes from the detective, femme fatale and morally gray villain are all poorly drawn in the grand scheme. In a noir the mystery is the element that keeps you interested in all the twists and turns coming, and this movie ultimately had one of the worst I've seen portrayed that never went anywhere, nor had any actual story beats or moments of surprise or revelation.

I don't think it'd be too much to call Blade Runner a very plotless film, and that's largely where I take issue with it. It's tedious, boring (I felt my eyes literally fighting to stay open), and feels hollow and rather impotent when it comes to tension, suspense, thrills or mystery. All these years later I finally know why the movie has so many edits out there: it comes off as such a mess, and even in the final cut that is supposed to be the best version to fit Scott's vision and intent for the movie, you can see how sloppily put together it is. A random lovey-dovey relationship between two characters who have the chemistry of oil and water that we're somehow supposed to care about, a "villain" that is so pretentiously empty of true drive or motivation, a story that crawls to every uninspiring turn with images that ultimately just bungle together into an incomprehensible stream of nothing.

The themes that the opening addressed and peaked my interest, like the idea of replicants taking ownership of their freedoms and how the line between machine and man can blur are never realized to fruition, nor is the world of the film that seemed so attractive and massive in lore at the start. It really is a shame, because in more capable hands this kind of story would've been amazing to see. How does one screw up the story of a man tasked with tracking down machines while second-guessing if he is who he says he is?

The sad and dejected feeling I had watching this movie and knowing I wasn't liking it is how I feel whenever I try to get into a David Lynch film. I'm watching something that so many people seem to love and call a masterpiece, but can only see a style over substance affair that thinks it's so clever without actually doing anything truly brilliant. It's weirdness for the sake of weird, uneven and confused character sketches written off as genius writing, and a plot where style supposedly becomes substance (which is a load of tripe in this case). Going into the first hour I sat up, rubbed my eyes and hoped the second half would finally lead to some of the potential I'd heard praised about for so long, but then as the ending came I nearly laughed both out of disappointment and embarrassment that it was really over.

Maybe the movie is better in the other versions, and maybe I'll get to them eventually, but right now I don't want to think about this one for a while. Apparently the movie was badly reviewed at the time of its original release for exactly the same issues I have with it in the final version, whereas the critics saw the theatrical that predated it by many years. I now wonder just what the original cut of the film could do to improve itself when I and so many other film fans see the same issues in both of the most popular versions? I wanted to love it so, so badly, but now I think I've come out of seeing this movie more disappointed than I've ever been after viewing a film I had been anticipating for so long. Like tears in the rain, I'm afraid that it's utterly lost me.
    One of my favorite films of all time. Too bad you didn't like it.