Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• Oh I was joking, no apology needed! Not taking the piss, not able to piss—a play on words, that's all. :)
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I like you Brady don't take the piss, not in a good place.

I'm completely lost as to the context here.
    :-/
  • edited January 2017 Posts: 6,432
    Oh I was joking, no apology needed! Not taking the piss, not able to piss—a play on words, that's all. :)
    My emotions are high broke up with girlfriend recently, my default is obnoxious. I am just fed up
  • That sucks, man. Been there myself. I have no words for that, but you have my sympathies. Sometimes all you can do is lose yourself in some other distraction.
    I like you Brady don't take the piss, not in a good place.

I'm completely lost as to the context here.
    :-/
    Hyper sensitive my apologies, taking a break from here.
    That sucks, man. Been there myself. I have no words for that, but you have my sympathies. Sometimes all you can do is lose yourself in some other distraction.

I am way too emotional my worst trait, need to shutdown for my own sake cheers pal.
  • edited January 2017 Posts: 6,432
    Watching Superman 2 Donner cut on 55 inch screen, oh it's good for DC fans. The Brando scenes are epic! Watching the original screen tests is epic, so much charm and humanity between Reeve and Kidder.

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Payback-Movie.jpg

Payback (1999)

Thanks to a recommendation from @ClarkDevlin a few months ago, I finally watched this awesome revenge flick with the legendary Mel Gibson. What a fantastic film. Mel Gibson is as badass as they come, he lights up the screen in every scene, kills many goons and has a big I-don't-give-a-sh*t attitude during the entire film. Some great one-liners here ('I forgot my cigarettes') and a killer soundtrack. I'm really glad I discovered this, now I have another badass revenge film I can rewatch endlessly.
    Wild-Horses__2.jpg

Followed by :

four-brothers-51bc629c327ec.jpg

Both good films but you have to be in an attentive mood with Wild Horses and concentrate,wheras 4 Brothers is a good revenge flick.

And im a big James Franco and Mark Wahlberg fan so that helps !!
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    tumblr_mj96m4PurM1rs4unwo4_1280.jpg

Equilibrium (2002)

Another super awesome action film. Christian Bale is badass as the Clerk Preston, and during the film he is given some hugely impressive shootouts and an insane body count (especially during the climax, he just destroyed everyone). A cool soundtrack, the presence of the legendary Sean Bean and non-stop action for 100 minutes, makes this a must-see for all action junkies. This is a Matrix-lite film, but a damn entertaining one.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    @DaltonCraig007 - Have you seen the alternate 'Straight Up' cut of Payback? If not, there are enough differences to warrant looking for a copy.
    @MajorDSmythe I forgot to specify, but the version I saw was the 'Straight Up' one.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Ah, right. Well if you haven't seen the theatrical cut, then the same applies (it's worth seeing for the number of differences).
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I thought Equilibrium was pretty bad. Nothing at all like The Matrix.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    I thought Equilibrium was pretty bad. Nothing at all like The Matrix.

Which is why I liked it!
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @DaltonCraig007, if you like Payback, I heavily urge you to take a look at Lee Marvin in Point Blank, as both movies are based on the same book. Watch an older gentleman tear his way through a criminal conspiracy from the bottom up, in one of the best movies of the 60s with a French New Wave aesthetic and a lot of experimental filmmaking to boot. It is a mind-blowing experience, and defines Marvin as the grandaddy of the sub-genre we see today with Neeson et. al.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I second @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7's sentiments: caught it for the first time pretty recently without having the faintest idea that it was the original version of 'Payback,' which I had seen a couple of times prior.

'Point Blank' was fantastic, can't get much cooler than Lee Marvin in that film.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Woody Allen's CAFE SOCIETY (2016). A better than average outing for modern Woody. Not a classic, by any means, but enjoyable.
    I was thinking of buying this the other day. The cover was intriguing. I may pick it up this weekend.
  • Cafe Society is high on my list of films to watch soon. How would you say it compares to Midnight in Paris? Really liked that one.
    Guardians-of-the-Galaxy-Lineup.jpg

Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)

I saw this one a few times in 2014, but hadn't rewatched it since. This movie is a sh*tload of fun. Killer soundtrack, very charismatic bunch of actors/characters (especially Chris Pratt, Dave Bausista and that guy who played Merle in The Walking Dead), and some insanely entertaining action scenes. For nearly 2 hours, this film just never lets the fun stop. This really is one of my favorite Marvel films (alongside 'Winter Soldier' and 'Doctor Strange', with 'Civil War' and 'The Avengers' right after them). I need to rewatch this one more often. I can't wait now for the 2nd outing in a few months.
    08.jpg

Hero (2002)

The film starts with an awesome sword fight between Jet Li and Donnie Yen, so I knew right away I was in for a fantastic Chinese martial arts film. And it did not disappoint. Jet Li is badass as always, and offers some great philosophical views on his character's way of life, in between many highly impressive sword fights. The cinematography and locations are breathtaking and the soundtrack is quite lush. This is another fantastic asian action/martial arts film.
  • Hero is one of my favorites. Cinematography by the incomparable Christopher Doyle, Wong Kar-wai's regular DOP. Doyle did the cinematography for WKW's early 90s wuxia epic Ashes of Time, which also featured Tony Leung and Maggie Cheung. Highly recommended, but Ashes focuses far more on character, mood, and aesthetics than on the sword fights.
    @Birdleson I've seen 3 Yimou Zhang films - Hero (2002), To Live (1994) and The Great Wall (2017). I will look out for the films you've mentioned.
    edited January 2017 Posts: 15,694
    It was very good. Quite a serious film (more than I usually search for), but the large scope of it (China from the 1940's to 1970's) was very interesting.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    hidden-figures-poster.jpg

HO00004173.jpg

Saw both these films and they're absolutely fantastic. Incredibly touching and performances were incredible.
  • edited January 2017 Posts: 12,293
    Memento (2000). Enjoyed it significantly more with this second watch. Still wouldn't call it a favorite, but it's certainly a good, original film from Nolan!
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited January 2017 Posts: 23,883
    The Man Who Knew Too Much (1956)
    e3XtfTK.jpg

This was my first watch of this Hitchcock film, starring Jimmy Stewart and Doris Day. It was interesting enough, with trademark Hitch attention to detail, a great Bernard Herrmann score (he appears later in the film as a conductor), and superb visuals. The Marrakech sequences are very impressive & atmospheric, with colours that pop nicely. Stewart is appropriately fearful after he discovers his son has been kidnapped in a foreign country, and Day is her usual, homely self. I found the pace of the film a bit languid however, and I wasn't all that impressed with the scene later in the film involving Doris singing (it went on a bit). The Royal Albert Hall sequence is classic though, and was beautifully homaged in 2015 by Cruise in MI-RN. I wouldn't call this close to his best work, especially in comparison to the two Grant vehicles that were made before and after it (To Catch A Thief & North by Northwest), which are much better paced. Perhaps my feeling is because I've seen this sort of kidnap story done many times since, and in a more modern style. I can imagine it was far more impressive when it first came out.
  • Birdleson wrote: »
    @DaltonCraig007 Yimou Zhang is one of my favorite directors, certainly my favorite Chinese director. But, for me, his great work was from '87 - '95, when he really push date boundaries of what was permitted politically and socially in China, hence he worked out of Hong Kong. He got himself in hot water with the Chinese censors. HERO was an okay picture, but I was disappointed that the intense human stories of his earlier career gave way to more commercially viable action fare. I strongly suggest that you try SHANGHAI TRIAD, TO LIVE, THE STORY OF QIU JU, RAISE THE RED LANTERN (my favorite), JU DOU and RED SORGHUM. All starring his female companion, the glorious and beautiful Gong Li. That grouping there are among the best films ever made.

Hero exists to look beautiful and offer cool sword fights, and does both marvelously. Gorgeous music, too (far better than Crouching Tiger I thought, which won the Oscar, but that's the Oscars for ya).

To Live and Raise the Red Lantern are both outstanding films. Unbelievably depressing—particularly Lantern—but outstanding nonetheless. Ju Dou was impressive as well, without quite reaching the same heights.

I presume you're familiar with Chen Kaige, @Birdleson? I haven't seen too many of his films, but Farewell My Concubine is up there with Yimou Zhang's.

Also, ever seen any of Wong Kar-wai's films? In the Mood for Love? 2046? A very different type of filmmaker from the other two, but still a respected Chinese director working from the late 80s onward.
  • Please do, I'd love to hear your thoughts on WKW. He has a style of storytelling unique to himself. Very possibly my favorite director, film for film.
  • edited January 2017 Posts: 12,293
    Insomnia (2002). Decent flick, slow beginning; I felt like once Robin Williams entered the picture, it got better and better until a great finale. This is maybe the most unusual of Nolan's movies, as far as being able to see his signature style in it. Overall definitely worth checking out still. I'll start keeping track of ranking all of Nolan's movies:

Christopher Nolan Films Ranked:
    1. Memento
    2. Insomnia
    3. Following