Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited January 2017 Posts: 23,883
    @DaltonCraig007, I don't think I've ever seen anyone give such a tepid and qualified endorsement for a film before! I think I'll wait for The Great Wall on blu ray. I don't even think it's being released near me and Nocturnal Animals is only being released in one theatre which is some distance from me. It's frustrating, when nearly every multiplex still has one or two spots showing Rogue One.

PS: Amy Adams was on Kimmel yesterday. She seems like a pretty cool character. I can see why she's getting a lot of roles these days.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    @bondjames Haha, thanks! I still had my load of fun during 'The Great Wall', which is all I could ask for. But Matt Damon is starting to feel the weight of the years on his shoulders! 50 years old is not far for him now!
    @bondjames Haha, thanks! I still had my load of fun during 'The Great Wall', which is all I could ask for. But Matt Damon is starting to feel the weight of the years on his shoulders! 50 years old is not far for him now!
    He definitely looks like he's put on some weight in that photo above, and I felt the same way about him in The Martian. This is probably close to his natural body weight now.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead

Even less for Daniel.
    The Dead Pool
    Gran Torino
    Hang Em High

...and some other movies I already forgot about.
    SharkBait wrote: »
    The Dead Pool
    I wasn't too keen on this last one in the Dirty Harry series, but it was fun to see a younger Jim Carrey and Liam Neeson in action.
  • edited January 2017 Posts: 2,107
    The last three Dirty Harry movies are not on par with the first two. The Dead Pool how ever was in some parts better than the previous two. I dunno. Maybe Harry Callahan was more of a seventies "hero". Also Gran Torino could just be Dirty Harry 6 - Harry Retired.
    SharkBait wrote: »
    The last three Dirty Harry movies are not on par with the first two. The Dead Pool how ever was in some parts better than the previous two. I dunno. Maybe Harry Callahan was more of a seventies "hero". Also Gran Torino could just be Dirty Harry 6 - Harry Retired.
    I agree that the first two are easily the best, and it's true that The Deal Pool wasn't bad at times. I have to watch Gran Torino sometime. I missed that one when it came out.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @Birdleson,

Thanks for recommending LONELYHEARTS! Powerful, honest movie. I love the vulnerability Montgomery Clift oozes. Did you know Dolores Hart is now a Catholic nun?
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited January 2017 Posts: 15,696
    AsuraCityMadness_TIFF_trailer.png

Asura: The City of Madness (2016)

After the fun but ultimately forgettable asian film with Matt Damon I saw this afternoon, I decided to discover a proper offering from Asia. I then turned to one of the latest South Korean crime/gangster thriller: 'Asura - The City of Madness'. And let me tell you that this is one of the most badass, brutal and violent Korean film I've seen in a while. @Creasy47, @DarthDimi and @doubleoego who I know enjoy these badass Asian films, you will be served. Insanely brutal brawls using metal bars, axes, knives, baseball bats? Check. Massive shootouts? Check. Epic car chase? Check. Graphic footage of people getting squashed when run over by cars? Check. The most brutal bloodbath of a climax since 'The Man From Nowhere'? Check. Once again these asian guys absolutely wipe the floor with what Hollywood has to offer in terms of action scenes. This is one of the best Korean crime/gangster films I've seen in a while, totally brutal stuff with a complex police investigation that keeps you on your toes for the 2 hours and 15 minutes of run time.
    Just finished Suicide Squad. A big bloated mess overall but marginally redeemed by Jaret Leto's Joker and Margot Robbie's Harley Quinn.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    Just finished Suicide Squad. A big bloated mess overall but marginally redeemed by Jaret Leto's Joker and Margot Robbie's Harley Quinn.

Legendary editing work, no? X_X

Urgh, the slow motion.

Also, parts of it felt like the film should have been made in the late 90s/early 2000s.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator

Urgh, the slow motion.

Also, parts of it felt like the film should have been made in the late 90s/early 2000s.

I was also expecting 'Soundtrack of the Year' by how much people praised the songs in that movie...but all I heard were a lot of overplayed "hits" from decades back, or a ton of garbage rap music. I swear, you throw a little Rolling Stones or Queen into a movie, and people think it's the greatest film soundtrack ever.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"

Urgh, the slow motion.

It's just a film of random images. Hard to tell what time it is, where characters are, what the timeline of events is, how much time has passed, why we should care... I've never seen such a badly edited blockbuster film with that big a budget in my life.
    Harley Quinn was awesome (even if a caricature of sorts) but I wasn't keen on Leto's performance.

Urgh, the slow motion.

It's just a film of random images. Hard to tell what time it is, where characters are, what the timeline of events is, how much time has passed, why we should care... I've never seen such a badly edited blockbuster film with that big a budget in my life.

Yep...and most of the backstories were so cheesy too.
    bondjames wrote: »
    Harley Quinn was awesome (even if a caricature of sorts) but I wasn't keen on Leto's performance.

From that very first official image we saw of Leto, I knew I wasn't going to care for his take on the character whatsoever, and sure enough, I was right. In fact, I feel like the film might've been better off not utilizing the Joker at all, instead focusing on the team and their mission and not the 'Harley wants to escape' subplot they had working in the background throughout the runtime.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

From that very first official image we saw of Leto, I knew I wasn't going to care for his take on the character whatsoever, and sure enough, I was right. In fact, I feel like the film might've been better off not utilizing the Joker at all, instead focusing on the team and their mission and not the 'Harley wants to escape' subplot they had working in the background throughout the runtime.
    I have high hopes for a solo Harley story down the line. Robbie can nail it, as long as they give her something meaty to delve into properly. Unfortunately, Leto may blow it again (I've heard some of his cut scenes from SS may be included).
  • edited January 2017 Posts: 11,189
    I thought he was good, felt rather uncomfortable at times watching him and his evil eyes.

If only Harley was actually Harley. Harley's more Joker than Harley in that film, quite bizarrely.

Urgh, the slow motion.

Yep...and most of the backstories were so cheesy too.

What, @BAIN123, you mean you didn't like the character backstories that just flashed for one second on the screen and then were never touched on again? Why not? ;)
    @bondjames, isn't that what this upcoming 'Sirens' spinoff is, or is it focusing on all of the female characters?

Wow, wait, so they filmed Joker footage (I've heard about all the scenes that made neither the finished film nor the extended edition) and cut it...just so they can save it and use it for a spinoff? Sounds lazy and clueless, like they're just sort of patching these movies together as time goes on and hoping for the best.

Like I mentioned elsewhere, if Ayer directed 'Suicide Squad' and it debuted to abysmal reviews and box office returns that weren't as stellar as they hoped, why do they feel an all-female spinoff with the same director is the way to go? It's like BvS failing miserably, so they let the same director helm 'Justice League' with more characters. I don't know, I don't follow this superhero stuff that well, only catching news snippets that I see on other sites, so perhaps there's a logical reason for all of this. To me, though, it just seems like a bad idea.
    @Creasy47, I haven't been keeping up on the news lately, so am not aware of Sirens. I thought they were going to make a Harley solo film at some point, and remember reading that there was a lot of Leto/Robbie backstory footage that wasn't used in SS which could make an appearance there.

If only Harley was actually Harley. Harley's more Joker than Harley in that film, quite bizarrely.
    It's true. They must have realized Robbie just sucked up all the air in the room compared to Leto and went with it. Her character kind of reminds me of Michelle's Catwoman, in a good way.
    edited January 2017 Posts: 28,694
    @Creasy47, @bondjames, DC/WB's plans are always fluctuating. Before BvS was ravaged they had all these solo film plans, but now they seem to be paring down or holding off, only really pushing a Batman solo movie (and maybe a Superman one in early planning stages) as a later solo film because Batman is the only guaranteed success they have. A Gotham City Sirens film with all the female DC characters has been mentioned, but I wouldn't hold too much faith in it coming through, as the release schedule for these films and the projects that will be shot will change, especially if Wonder Woman and/or Justice League fail to succeed. At that point, they should just give up while they're behind.

Now, who knows if a Suicide Squad 2 will happen, or a Justice League Part II, Cyborg film, New Gods movie, etc. Can't say I'll be hurt if it all fails to get off the ground as none of the projects interest me anyway.

DC are shuffling their creative representatives and are trying to steer their ship into port safely, but they let Snyder and co. run amok for far too long before stepping in to fix things. Now they're trying to change the tone of their films mid-production and making a shoddy job of editing bad cuts of the films, only to release extended cuts for most of them afterward anyway to apologize for their continued failures.
    I swear that bit when the mini gun was being fired out the helicopter was a Matrix rip-off right down to the shot of the bullet casings.
    I was going to say, I'd like to think they'll pretty much lose all hope if their next one ('Wonder Woman,' I'm presuming?) fares just as poorly as BvS and 'Suicide Squad' did.
    WW looks quite promising. I'm hoping for the best. To be honest, I'm getting tired of all of these superhero films (from both stables) these days. The only thing outside of WW that could really interest me is a Hulk solo film done right, but I don't think we'll be seeing that for a while.
    edited January 2017 Posts: 40,674
    @bondjames, I don't know if it was me growing up or the fact that there's been such a large expansion of these films over the last few years, but yes, I'm beyond burnt out on them. I still like to give them a fair chance with an inevitable viewing, but they're not something that inspires excitement or has me lining up at the theatre anymore, especially after I made the mistake of paying for BvS (bought my friend's ticket, as well - $14 I'll never, ever get back) and 'Civil War' (nowhere near as bad, but rather forgettable. I know the die-hard fans lost their minds with this movie, but it just doesn't do it for me, sadly).

With the returns a lot of these movies are getting at the box office, along with how many fans there are clamoring for them, I don't see the state of comic book movies doing anything other than growing and expanding from here on out. Like I said, I get the love for them, but it's just not something I'm into any longer.
  • acoppolaacoppola London Ealing not far from where Bob Simmons lived
    edited January 2017 Posts: 1,243

I think Ben Affleck makes a great Batman/Bruce Wayne, but, I have no intention of seeing Suicide Squad ; a blatantly "Made for the lowest denominator who finished their education at the age of ten" film. I value my time and intelligence!

I agree about Leto. Marilyn Manson meets Billy Idol. Warner Bros. think they can go against Marvel with their comic-book DAD. Seems the management at Warner Bros. have amnesia about the recent Nolan films.

Give me Jack Nicholson or Heath Ledger. And I salute Caesar Romero!

I agree on Civil War @Creasy47. It's quite forgettable to me, especially in comparison to Winter Soldier.

Like you, I don't know if it's me growing up or the excess of these films either. I just know it's all getting a bit repetitive and passé for me. Almost like I have to take a break from it for a while.