Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    'Sicario'

Tense, taut thriller with incredible directing and cinematography, all wrapped up with a shocking and intense ending, as Villeneuve always pulls off masterfully. The last few seconds aren't as shocking or surprising as his finales for 'Prisoners' and 'Enemy,' but it's bleak and dangerous enough to make you think. One of the best films of 2015, highly recommended.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited October 2015 Posts: 15,692
    Jupiter Ascending (2015).

I didn't hate it, but didn't like it either. Visually stunning, a cool soundtrack and a badass Sean Bean are the only good I can see from it. The 2 leads are awfully wooden (Kunis and Tattum). I guess I'll only rewatch it when doing a Wachowski marathon.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited October 2015 Posts: 23,883
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    'Sicario'

Tense, taut thriller with incredible directing and cinematography, all wrapped up with a shocking and intense ending, as Villeneuve always pulls off masterfully. The last few seconds aren't as shocking or surprising as his finales for 'Prisoners' and 'Enemy,' but it's bleak and dangerous enough to make you think. One of the best films of 2015, highly recommended.

I agree @Creasy47.

Brilliant film. I loved everything about it....from the opening scene to the end. Superb cinematography & great acting (Josh Brolin is really maturing into a great actor, and both Emily Blunt & Benecio del Toro are marvelous).

Jóhann Jóhannsson's score was excellent as well. Very suspenseful.

The only negative (but it could also be a positive) is that it reminds me a lot of 'The Bridge' tv show with Diane Kruger which I really like.

I want Villeneuve on a Bond film now......he can deliver something really tight and taut....I'm sure of it. I also want Blunt in a Bond film. Now!
    @bondjames, I was initially worried that the trailers revealed way too much, but the way they were edited got me thinking that this person might die or that person was a bad guy, and in the end, any twists or plot revelations were things I didn't see coming at all. Excellent movie, and yes, the score was beyond superb and tense.

Can't comment on any 'The Bridge' comparisons, as I've yet to see that show.

Ever since Villeneuve expressed his interests in directing a Bond film about a week ago, and with how highly rated and loved most of his films are, it's highly possible that it'll happen in the near future!
    I'll need to put Sicario on my list. There's something about Emily Blunt I love. She seems a bit of a tomboy yet still feminine enough to fancy from a male point of view.
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    I'll need to put Sicario on my list. There's something about Emily Blunt I love. She seems a bit of a tomboy yet still feminine enough to fancy from a male point of view.

That's exactly how I've seen her ever since her performance in 'Edge of Tomorrow.'
    Hmm, I haven't seen The Bridge, but the original series is brilliant.

Sicario is definitely one of the best movies of the year.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited October 2015 Posts: 23,883
    @Creasy47, we can only hope re: Villeneuve. If EON wants to be bold again I think he's the man (or at least one of them). who can do something different and yet edgy.

I hadn't seen any trailers and went in totally without expectations and so it blew me away. I'd say it's a cross between Zero Dark Thirty and the Bridge (which also deals with the drug cartel issue across the US/Mexico border). The show got cancelled after Season 2 though, unfortunately.

I haven't seen Enemy so will check it out.....but I really enjoyed Prisoners (very atmospheric film). He's up there with Fincher & Mann for me as a great director.
  • edited October 2015 Posts: 2,081
    bondjames wrote: »
    @Creasy47, we can only hope re: Villeneuve. If EON wants to be bold again I think he's the man (or at least one of them). who can do something different and yet edgy.

I hadn't seen any trailers and went in totally without expectations and so it blew me away. I'd say it's a cross between Zero Dark Thirty and the Bridge (which also deals with the drug cartel issue across the US/Mexico border). The show got cancelled after Season 2 though, unfortunately.

I haven't seen Enemy so will check it out.....but I really enjoyed Prisoners (very atmospheric film). He's up there with Fincher & Mann for me as a great director.

It does? Oh, I didn't know that.

Prisoners was indeed excellent. Great acting, cinematography (RD as well) and music (JJ as well). Enemy was a fascinating movie, too. Those two put Villeneuve on my, ok-I'm-interested-in-anything-you-do-list. :) Which is why I went to see Sicario.

@Tuulia, you and I both! 'Prisoners' and 'Enemy' made me lifelong fans of Villeneuve's, which is the only reason why I'm interested in this unnecessary 'Blade Runner' sequel.
    @Creasy47, that's pretty much how I feel about the Blade Runner thing, too.
  • edited October 2015 Posts: 4,622
    bondsum wrote: »
    Great news. I didn't know there was a planned sequel. Can't wait to see more of Benicio Del Toro. I agree with your comments, @nobodydoesitbetter, those overhead shots were amazing.
    This is one of the best films of the year.
    Talk about realpolitik.
    I thought the most important line in the movie was when the Josh Brolin character spoke the hard truth of the murderous drug trade. ie as long as 20% of the American population insisists on snorting, smoking, inhaling this stuff, the best that the law can-do is attempt to control the trade.
    Basic law of supply and demand. With the kind of demand that such vice commands, stamping out the suppliers is essentially impossible.
    Only way to mitigate the drug trade is to reduce the demand, which essentially requires that society grow up.
    Tall order obviously.
    I thought the movie really drive home the notion that to get any handle on the drug trade, law enforcement has to make accommodations and lie down with dogs.
    Del Toro to Blunt, If you'r e not a wolf you won't survive as this biz is run by wolves.
    Del Toro was uber Alpha Wolf.
    Talk about a lethal operative.
    What a great film. Talk about a movie that packs a punch.

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    I just rented & started watching Mad Max: Fury Road.
    After twenty minutes I started skipping through. Ten minutes later my ordeal was over.
    The colour saturation was like watching a Road Runner cartoon.
    The needless editing out of every third to seventh frame of action made me miss the (by comparison) smooth and languid look of QOS.
    The computer game production design was just a little too much, even for a Max movie.
    Hardy paled beside Gibson.

I'm glad if many liked this entry, but I'm SO glad I only wasted 30 minutes & $2.00 on it.
    [-(
    @timmer, that's what I thought was amazing in the movie, the complete reality of it: they know that their job isn't to stop the drug trade, it's to control it in their own way, or as best as they can. They know stopping the drug wars entirely isn't remotely possible.
  • @chrisisall I wonder what would have happened if Mel returned for Fury Road- everything else remaining the same.
    Sorry to hear you didn't like it; I loved it, but I keep going into the same 'what if' scenarios; just like I do with Dalton in GoldenEye, lol.

I'm in the group of moviegoers that still love Mel Gibson- personal lives don't really get in my way as long as they're good actors. And this is Braveheart we're talking about here ;)

Should Mel have returned one last time? It could have been his 'Rambo' 8->
    Should Mel have returned one last time? It could have been his 'Rambo' 8->
    I love 'revisits', like "Rambo" & "Escape From LA", but it was the film-making that I couldn't deal with in Fury Road... Mel certainly would have helped, but IMO this was a reach to recall past glory terribly combined with present video game style & accompanying visual acuity.
    It just makes me want to watch my BD of Thunderdome again.
    :((
  • I've never followed the Mad Max series- I just finally watched The Road Warrior just last week for the first time ever (still can't believe Mel was only 25 in that!! And 23 in the first movie! :-O )
    One thing I appreciated with Fury Road was that they did many of the stunts for real, and for a movie set in a mostly sandy environment, it just looked so damn nice! I mean the movie was just... well, pleasing to look at... sort of hard to put it into words.

Now that I've seen Road Warrior, would you recommend the other two? I've heard some baaaaad things about Thunderdome, and from what I gather, the first Mad Max is very dated and slow.
    Now that I've seen Road Warrior, would you recommend the other two? I've heard some baaaaad things about Thunderdome, and from what I gather, the first Mad Max is very dated and slow.
    Mad Max is like your youth- awkward at times.
    Road Warrior is like your prime- you hit the ground running.
    Thunderdome is like your middle age- you have more to do, just a bit slower.

I recommend all three, for vastly different reasons.

Fury Road just felt totally unconnected to the rest for ME.
    Banco à Bangkok pour OSS 117: One of the Bond clones you recommended me. I loved Kerwin Matthews as La Bath: swashbuckling actors make good Bonds.

Eegah: A young Richard Kiel in an awful movie that doesn't even count as a involuntary comedy. Arch Hall Jr. failed as a handsome leading man, but man he was a good psychopath in the underrrated The Sadist.

The Masque Of Red Death: Such an inventive film, with an awesome performance by Vincent Price. Jane Asher was so cute, and Patrick Magee the hammiest guy of the era... But the best of all is the glorious usage of Eastmancolor.

Currently watching Night Of The Eagle
    Banco à Bangkok pour OSS 117: One of the Bond clones you recommended me. I loved Kerwin Matthews as La Bath: swashbuckling actors make good Bonds.

Eegah: A young Richard Kiel in an awful movie that doesn't even count as a involuntary comedy. Arch Hall Jr. failed as a handsome leading man, but man he was a good psychopath in the underrrated The Sadist.

The Masque Of Red Death: Such an inventive film, with an awesome performance by Vincent Price. Jane Asher was so cute, and Patrick Magee the hammiest guy of the era... But the best of all is the glorious usage of Eastmancolor.

Currently watching Night Of The Eagle
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    THE MARTIAN

The latest Robinson Crusoe is amazing to watch in 3d on a big screen. The premise sounds a bit dull, but it is nothing of the sort.

Never cared for Matt Damon before, but he does an excellent job here.

PS The Star Wars trailer attached looks fab in 3d as well.
    Hmm... Maybe I should see it if even Matt Damon is good. ;) (Though for me it would inevitably be 2d.) Not sure though... I keep reading good things about it, but I have a hard time trying to get interested in it.
    I'm not a massive fan of MD either to be honest. The term "jumped up little shit" comes to mind.
    I'm not a fan, but that sounds a bit harsh... :) He's not that bad, is he?
    Tuulia wrote: »
    I'm not a fan, but that sounds a bit harsh... :) He's not that bad, is he?

I was sort of joking as I don't know him obviously. But there is something about him that I'm just not too keen on. He's an ok actor but not one of my favourites.
    @Bain123, People have opinions about lots of people without knowing them personally, and it's perfectly ok - as long as one doesn't assume too much based on too little... which happens all the time, though... and I just had an argument on such a case here a couple of days ago. :P
    I was just wondering if there's something specific that made you say that. I know practically nothing about him, so I wouldn't have a clue, and my basic view about pretty much everyone is that they're not that bad, are they. Whenever I bother to find out a bit about any actor I usually just end up liking them more, and I can't say I actively dislike any actor - enough to use a line like that for instance. But of course I recognized the line, and thought it might have been said jokingly or even affectionately. ;) But if your feeling is just a vague feeling of some dislike, ok, I get that.
    Damon's latest comments (mostly about homosexuals and black people in Hollywood) have me disliking him even more. I've never particularly cared for him, mostly because he can act, but he just stands out as Matt Damon to me. I've never seen him as the character he played, I simply see him as Matt Damon. Watched Interstellar and all I could think was "They found Matt Damon!"

He's always come across as very pompous and egotistical in certain interviews, too, which adds to my distaste of him.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Damon's latest comments (mostly about homosexuals and black people in Hollywood) have me disliking him even more. I've never particularly cared for him, mostly because he can act, but he just stands out as Matt Damon to me. I've never seen him as the character he played, I simply see him as Matt Damon. Watched Interstellar and all I could think was "They found Matt Damon!"

He's always come across as very pompous and egotistical in certain interviews, too, which adds to my distaste of him.

I also just see him as Matt Damon. :))

I'm not sure if I've ever seen or read his interviews, so, like I said, I'm pretty clueless. I can't stand "pompous and egotistical" so that sounds bad... Now you got me curious about those "latest comments" - I'll try and see if I can find what you might be referring to...

@Tuulia, I'm glad I'm not the only one!! :))

He kept spewing verbal diarrhea at the mouth about how homosexuals should keep their sexuality to themselves in Hollywood and how racial diversity behind the camera is irrelevant.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    I've finally watched Taken 3...

sorry to say but it was not a satisfactory, at all.

Let's just say... it's a trilogy that should have ended with the first one.