Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Captain America: Winter Soldier... my second viewing.
    This is one of the best movies ever made IMHO.
    So I watched A Clockwork Orange for the first time today. I read the book in high school, though I didn't remember much of it. Honestly I was just trying to regard it as a comedy because to me it fails on any other level. Great acting by Malcolm McDowell though.

In retrospect, I have completely changed my opinion about 2001 A Space Odyssey. It really was a very good movie. But I still don't understand the so called genius of Stanley Kubrick. He often works with very striking or compelling source material (The Shining, Lolita, 2001, Clockwork, I recently even read he originally wanted to film Das Parfum, but found it impossible), and he puts his own spin on it, which is never bad but in my opinion not tremendously awe inspiring either. And some parts of this movie were vulgar, regardless of how it might contribute to the point of the story.

I've just finished reading the book funnily enough. Parts of it do verge on dark comedy.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Watched Beverly hills cop last night, still a great film :)) and Today I'm
    Watching all the Star Wars films on Sky movies. ;)
    Just watched Winter Soldier for the second time. I think this might be the best superhero movie ever made...
    Does anyone else like Burton's Batman/Batman Returns?
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I love Burton's Batman Film. I don't like Batman Returns as much but it's fun to watch.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    FoxRox wrote: »

I did, before I read the comics. I can regard them as good films, just not good Batman films.

My favourites, actually.
    Very good to know I'm not alone here. While I prefer Batman 89 (one of my favorite movies ever), I think Batman Returns is possibly the most dark/depressing comic book film ever. They both are very intriguing to me.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Very good to know I'm not alone here. While I prefer Batman 89 (one of my favorite movies ever), I think Batman Returns is possibly the most dark/depressing comic book film ever. They both are very intriguing to me.

The penguins with missiles strapped to their backs always ruins the feeling of melancholia for me. By that point in the film I'm face-palming like mad.

The penguins with missiles strapped to their backs always ruins the feeling of melancholia for me. By that point in the film I'm face-palming like mad.

That's where the movie got killed for me. That and Penguin's toy car version of the batmobile.
    Murdock wrote: »

That's where the movie got killed for me. That and Penguin's toy car version of the batmobile.

I will say, however, that a scene in the film involving Bruce, Selina and a mistletoe is one of the greatest scenes in any Batman film ever. Always worth putting in the movie just for that moment alone.
    Murdock wrote: »

I will say, however, that a scene in the film involving Bruce, Selina and a mistletoe is one of the greatest scenes in any Batman film ever. Always worth putting in the movie just for that moment alone.

That is a good scene.
    Yeah. My biggest issue is honestly how little Bruce was in the movie - especially for the first half. The first is superior in almost every way, but I do still enjoy Returns as well.
    Yeah. My biggest issue is honestly how little Bruce was in the movie - especially for the first half. The first is superior in almost every way, but I do still enjoy Returns as well.
    Wow, what a great criticism. Usually you hear people upset about there not being enough Batman and too much Bruce; in fact, that's one of the common criticisms made by those who find The Dark Knight Rises underwhelming. It's nice to see someone else who loves seeing Bruce out of the suit just as much as he is in it. He's such a complex character playing the rich playboy and his inner torment over the duality of his life and the masks he wears is far too interesting to pass up. Burton's films offer a lot of great glimpses into his psyche as well.
    Wow, what a great criticism. Usually you hear people upset about there not being enough Batman and too much Bruce; in fact, that's one of the common criticisms made by those who find The Dark Knight Rises underwhelming. It's nice to see someone else who loves seeing Bruce out of the suit just as much as he is in it. He's such a complex character playing the rich playboy and his inner torment over the duality of his life and the masks he wears is far too interesting to pass up. Burton's films offer a lot of great glimpses into his psyche as well.

Without a doubt. I just now finished another run of Returns! Frankly I think it gets stronger as the film progresses - more of Bruce and Batman. Keaton was great in all his scenes. I also really liked the monstrous-yet-tragic performance by DeVito as the Penguin. It's a weird, interesting, flawed, but ultimately good film in my opinion.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Batman Returns has that strange opera feel to it that Burton sometimes manages to create, I love that movie. My favourite of the "original" run.
    Batman Returns has that strange opera feel to it that Burton sometimes manages to create, I love that movie. My favourite of the "original" run.

Elfman's score is something I'd describe as "operatic" as well.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

Elfman's score is something I'd describe as "operatic" as well.

Exactly. The set design contributes as well.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator

I do, they're my favourite Batman films.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I love the Batman and Batman returns, the next two, if they're on the TV I'll watch
    Them, but they are terrible. I do love the Nolan Trilogy of films, caught The Dark
    Knight last night on ITV 2.
    From the trailer, I'm not looking forward to Batman v Superman, as for some reason
    I never liked Superman. I think he was always a bit too " goodie two shoes" for my
    Taste. :D
  • edited May 2015 Posts: 7,653
    Batman & Batman returns easily put the Nolan trilogy in their shadow, they might be more camp and opera like but Keaton is still my favorite Batman. Burtons vision was beautiful and his stories were excellent.

I still find Reeves Superman movies (the first three anyhow) better than anything Superman though up later.
    I thought Batman (1989) was ok, but i hated Batman returns
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited May 2015 Posts: 23,883
    I personally feel that Nolan's Batman Begins is a benchmark film. Brilliant acting and conceptualization of the Batman legend. Whenever I need pick-me up motivation, that's the movie I put on.

Having said that, I respect and enjoy the first two Burton Batman films too. I really liked Batman Returns as a kid, mainly because of the wonderful Michelle Pieffer. The Penguin was disturbingly dark too, although I didn't think DeVito got him right. Keaton was amazing as a conflicted Wayne/Bat. The 1989 Batman has grown on me, although I was never able to get into it as much - but Keaton was wonderfully unhinged.

Batman is one of my all time favorites, and I have a soft spot for Batman Returns- I saw it opening day age 9 and to this day it's my all time never-miss Christmas movie (just like The Crow is for Halloween)

Speaking of... look what Hot Toys just posted on their Facebook page! This was delayed and delayed and now it's finally coming out!

11209755_10152780250092344_3959407852773189332_n.jpg?oh=ab37e8128e3056b4fde15ef929837afc&oe=55C253DC
    11169564_10152780250567344_7874566970775475986_o.jpg
    11194652_10152780250627344_6254187961898096752_o.jpg
    Awesome! They even have the ripped cowl. Now that's an attention to detail.
    I'm very happy to see there's so many fans here for Burton's Batman films. There are actually a few aspects of them I prefer to Nolan's trilogy, such as the vehicle designs, Keaton's Bruce Wayne/Batman, Gotham itself, and the music. Elfman's scores in those films are possibly my favorite two he has ever done (Batman 89 at least is my favorite Elfman soundtrack); it really captured the mood.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    That's very true. Elfman's score for Batman is a work of art. Iconic. Pity it wasn't incorporated into Zimmer's work.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Batman is one of my all time favorites, and I have a soft spot for Batman Returns- I saw it opening day age 9 and to this day it's my all time never-miss Christmas movie (just like The Crow is for Halloween)

Speaking of... look what Hot Toys just posted on their Facebook page! This was delayed and delayed and now it's finally coming out!

11209755_10152780250092344_3959407852773189332_n.jpg?oh=ab37e8128e3056b4fde15ef929837afc&oe=55C253DC
    11169564_10152780250567344_7874566970775475986_o.jpg
    11194652_10152780250627344_6254187961898096752_o.jpg

Yes, it's finally coming. The Wayne head sculpt doesn't like quite as spot on as it could be. It looks like a hybrid of Keaton, Robert Forster and Gary Sinise. If Hot Toys make a single and a double pack (like Captain America from The Winter Soldier), i'll buy Batman. But if they only make the double pack, then i'll get the double.
    Just saw The Avengers: Age of Ultron and I really enjoyed the movie it was full of Whedonisms and a fairly smart story. As popcorn movies go they do not get any better.