Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Just watched Flashpoint Paradox. THIS was dark... but the colours were still vibrant!
    Heavily recommended.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Snowpiercer.

A random selection on Netflix last night because I was intrigued by the premise. Wow, what a film. Highly recommended if one is in the mood for a fresh, post-apocalyptic movie.

4.5 out of 5.
    Cloud Atlas Enjoyed this film or rather understood the film more on second viewing.
    Snowpiercer.
    A random selection on Netflix last night because I was intrigued by the premise. Wow, what a film. Highly recommended if one is in the mood for a fresh, post-apocalyptic movie.
    4.5 out of 5.
    I was groovin' to it for a while, but during the last third my logic-O-meter started screaming. Lot's of good bits, but it seemed to get all R-rated blood n' guts for action's sake. Excellent concept though.

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    As I've said in the 'Horror' thread, I am currently watching the Hellraiser series. I've seen the first 5 films, ranking as follows:

1. Hellbound
    2. Hellraiser
    3. Hell on Earth
    4. Bloodline
    5. Inferno

Review for 'Hellseeker' due later tonight, I'll post it in the Horror thread after my viewing.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @DaltonCraig007, I like your top 2 but personally I prefer Bloodline over Hell On Earth. ;-)
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    I finished the Hellraiser franchise, review of the last 2 films will be posted in the Horror thread.

I have now started the 'Children of the Corn' series. I've just watched the first outing. Pretty good film, I really liked the atmosphere. I must say the kid actors played better than the main 2 adults (even Linda Hamilton), who were both quite wooden. The final confrontation was over a bit too quickly, but the film was fun up until then, so I can forgive that.

I'll continue tonight with 'Final Sacrifice' and 'Urban Harvest'.
    @DaltonCraig007,

Prepare to go through one big hell there, sir. COTC... Yeah, I think I maybe like three of them.

number 3
    the remake
    the original

The rest is... O dear.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Batman is one of my all time favorites, and I have a soft spot for Batman Returns- I saw it opening day age 9 and to this day it's my all time never-miss Christmas movie (just like The Crow is for Halloween)

Speaking of... look what Hot Toys just posted on their Facebook page! This was delayed and delayed and now it's finally coming out!

11209755_10152780250092344_3959407852773189332_n.jpg?oh=ab37e8128e3056b4fde15ef929837afc&oe=55C253DC
    11169564_10152780250567344_7874566970775475986_o.jpg
    11194652_10152780250627344_6254187961898096752_o.jpg

To paraphrase John Hammond, I'm sparing no expense to get this!
    edited May 2015 Posts: 15,693
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    @DaltonCraig007,

Prepare to go through one big hell there, sir. COTC... Yeah, I think I maybe like three of them.

number 3
    the remake
    the original

The rest is... O dear.

@DarthDimi I went through hell during 'Hellraiser: Revelations', which managed to make me think 'Batman & Robin' was not all that bad. ;) So I am prepared for more hell. :D
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    Cloud Atlas Enjoyed this film or rather understood the film more on second viewing.

You know I sat in my office in Glasgow and watched Halle Berry and Tom Hanks film scenes for this movie. They doubled up Hill Street as San Fransisco.

You know I sat in my office in Glasgow and watched Halle Berry and Tom Hanks film scenes for this movie. They doubled up Hill Street as San Fransisco.

For the seventies scenes? Did not occur to me watching the film it was not San Francisco, liked the filters they used for those scenes.

• SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    I watched Stephen King's Bag of Bones last night 2nd personally my favorite Brosnan performance, I would have rated him higher as Bond had he played it stright like he does in this film. Great story unlike some Stephen King suff its easy to follow not too weird. Plus it has Melissa George who is just soo freaking hot!.
    Iron Man 3 Its OK :-S To be honest after watching Ultron IM3 seems better, it does add weight to Starks psychosis. In the MCU IM3 is a little different, and one of main reasons MCU is doing so well I think is because they've been taking risks and being diverse.
    Avengers Age of Ultron this weekend I am really a Batman only kind of guy but I have enjoyed most of the marvel movies (Missed Thor 2 and Iron Man 2 and the incredible Hulk) I loved Captain America Winter soldier And the first avengers was quite good.

So I will post on Saturday night my thoughts.
    Continuing my Tim Burton marathon, just finished Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. The film definitely has its flaws - primarily Charlie's over-the-top perfection and Depp's performance - but there are still some things to like about it. Personally I enjoyed the inclusion of Christopher Lee as Wonka's dad - at least it provided a little more motivation for Wonka having made the factory in the first place. It's also a lot more faithful to the original story than the older film (not to say I prefer this newer film - that's just a plus). Not one of my favorites by any means, but a decent family film that gets perhaps a little too much hate.
    Conan the Destroyer Stands up pretty well on Bluray, OK its no where near the first film with regards to quality and epicness. Though I do like this film, probably watched it as much as any Arnie film. There are some genuinely great moments in this film. pure escapism and great fun IMO.
    Philomena a heartbreaking story of "adoption" children taken from their mothers by the christian church in Ireland. Lady Dench is brilliant and heartbreaking in this movie and Steve Coogan has to pull out all stops to keep up with her tour de force. This is a sad part of history shown in a respectable way and with a grand heart. A must see...
    2010 on Bluray. Wow, I used to really like this movie when it came out. I was fairly underwhelmed this time. In fact, I'm not even sure it's a very good movie at all...
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Dante's Peak

I caught this on TV last night. An entertaining disaster flick, with practical special effects. Pierce Brosnan is so likeable in this film, hes really emphatic too boot, plus I liked him with Linda Hamilton as well. I've always enjoyed this film, and I haven't seen it for quite some time.
    royale65 wrote: »
    Dante's Peak
    Same director as November Man.
    edited May 2015 Posts: 23,615
    Towering Inferno (1974)

towering-2-the-towering-inferno-revisited-a-conspiracy-theory.jpeg?width=600&height=449

Paul Newman, Steve McQueen, William Holden, Faye Dunaway, Richard Chaimberlain and many more star in this epic disaster movie about a building on fire. While it's rather difficult to believe that such a modern skyscraper lacks the required safety systems - to be honest, they address this issue in the film - what happens next is perfectly plausible. If you didn't already, Towering Inferno will make you respect fire.

Great film!
  • edited May 2015 Posts: 2,081
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Continuing my Tim Burton marathon, just finished Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. The film definitely has its flaws - primarily Charlie's over-the-top perfection and Depp's performance - but there are still some things to like about it. Personally I enjoyed the inclusion of Christopher Lee as Wonka's dad - at least it provided a little more motivation for Wonka having made the factory in the first place. It's also a lot more faithful to the original story than the older film (not to say I prefer this newer film - that's just a plus). Not one of my favorites by any means, but a decent family film that gets perhaps a little too much hate.

I saw it when it came out and disliked it then, haven't seen it since. Didn't even Remember Christopher Lee was in it.

SaintMark wrote: »
    Philomena a heartbreaking story of "adoption" children taken from their mothers by the christian church in Ireland. Lady Dench is brilliant and heartbreaking in this movie and Steve Coogan has to pull out all stops to keep up with her tour de force. This is a sad part of history shown in a respectable way and with a grand heart. A must see...

Yes, it was pretty good and Dench was excellent.

---

Oblivion - ok.

Transcendence - I like both Johnny Depp and Rebecca Hall, but actually mostly watched this for Wally Pfister - his directorial debut. Not great, but not bad, either, and with many interesting themes.

The Water Diviner - well, a movie starring Russell Crowe is automatically on my to-see-list. His directorial debut as well, so interesting in that respect, too. And it was the cinematographer Andrew Lesnie's final film, he died last month - beautiful work once again. A lot to like here for me - story, acting (not just Crowe himself, but most of cast) and the general look of it.

Towering Inferno (1974)

towering-2-the-towering-inferno-revisited-a-conspiracy-theory.jpeg?width=600&height=449

Paul Newman, Steve McQueen, William Holden, Faye Dunaway, Richard Chaimberlain and many more star in this epic disaster movie about a building on fire. While it's rather difficult to believe that such a modern skyscraper lacks the required safety systems - to be honest, they address this issue in the film - what happens next is perfectly plausible. If you didn't already, Towering Inferno will make you respect fire.

Great film!

So many big names in this film! Really great to see Newman and McQueen on screen together.
    Towering Inferno (1974)

Great film!

Classic, I vividly remember buying this on video cassette. After loving Cool Hand Luke, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid and Great Escape and Bullitt, it was a big deal for me back in the day to buy this film with two great stars like McQueen and Newman starring together.

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    FoxRox wrote: »

The one thing I loved about that film, apart from Christopher Lee, was the weird architecture at the beginning.The askew houses. Very funny.
    Avengers age of ultron

It's not bad and to be fair I watched the film just a few hours after a deep cut to my finger so I am taking that into consideration. I enjoyed a few of the moments Renner is in my opinion brilliant why can't this guy get his own franchise
    the whole scene where he takes out the Scarlet Witch is both tense and funny
    like I said I enjoyed Evans as Captain America and Robert Downy Jr was always good and the characters are great but
    I think the issue most have is just really how similar the films are mind control and manipulation to cause the team to fight until nick Fury comes in to bring them together which as a whole it isn't a horrible idea it's just there are I am guessing 500 issues of the avengers comic can't we try a different approach then what we just did? I don't see the film as an ad for the infinity gauntlet I do see it as a continuing story but one that as Bruce Bannar is points out "I am stuck in a time warp" I hear ya Bruce we are too
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    PDuIucZ.jpg

"You make sounds like you're a mean little ass-kicker... only I ain't convinced. You keep talking and I'm gonna take your head off." - Mr. Majestyk (Charles Bronson)

Moral of the story? Don't mess with Charlie's melons.
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    Watched a Jean Claude Van Damme called 6 Bullets. I'm a sucker for these efforts that he keeps churning out so quite enjoyed it. Its nothing spectacular but the stories ok and Van Damme does Van Damme.
  • edited May 2015 Posts: 1,310
    Iron Man (2008)

31UiPirP4GL._SY300_.jpg

The first film of my MCU revisiting marathon.

I hadn't seen this film through in years, and was very curious to give it a watch after Age of Ultron disappointed me so. Before the Marvel 'takeover,' and before the Marvel movies started to become indistinguishable there was the first Iron Man: a sharp, tense, funny, surprisingly heartfelt superhero film that - if I remember correctly - is still the MCU's best film. I was surprised to see that the action was actually somewhat minimal and more time was spent with Tony figuring out who he was in relation to his weapon's business. Downey Jr. is sensational, and the rest of the cast (Bridges, Paltrow, even Howard) also excel. Dialog between characters is so sharp and natural, and Faverau's direction is more than solid. I had a great time watching this.

If there is one moderate issue with this film, it is the climax. The fight between Stark and Stane is underwhelming, and Pepper standing outside constantly saying "Tony, are you okay," grates a bit. It's not cringeworthy per se, but it dilutes and otherwise great film.

8.5/10 from me. One of the better superhero movies out there.