Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    :) same here, when I saw it on the list of movies, I couldn't wait to see it again. It
    Has a great " Gothic" feel, almost a Victor Hugo story in space. ;)
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    The music is an all-time favourite of mine. I listen to it almost every time I read science fiction. There's both a sad and victorious aura to it.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    edited May 2015 Posts: 16,335
    Batman Year One: Great film. I wish it was longer.

Batman Subzero: Another great film. Mr. Freeze is such a compelling villain.
    Bullitt (1968)

g29366464553021.jpg

Great film! Steve McQueen is the epitome of cool, whether on two legs or driving an awesome Mustang. Robert Vaughn puts down an excellent performance. Jacqueline Bisset is stunningly beautiful. There's a little bit of Robert Duvall in here too. Lalo Schifrin's score is fantastic. The highlight of the film is the car chase.

Nothing but praise for Bullitt.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Esio Trot

Quirky little film based on a Roald Dahl story, with Dustin Hoffman and Judi dench in the lead roles. Kind of funny.
  • edited May 2015 Posts: 2,081
    Mad Max Fury Road - That was fun. What I'd seen was promising, and I thought I might even like it - or not. One of that actors I'll watch in anything is Tom Hardy, so I was definitely going to see it (if it had been somebody I couldn't have cared less about then I wouldn't have bothered), and I like Charlize Theron a lot, too. I was fully prepared it to be a typical Hollywood macho blast - even if it was good. Well, bloody hell... Feminism was the last thing I expected to see any of. To say I was pleasantly surprised would be an understatement, and I'm still grinning. :D Most of you here are men and probably don't even notice the issue in general, and how unusual equality is in movies - least of all action movies. (Talking of number of roles, talking of leads, talking of how they're presented and so on.) This was SO NOT typical. I don't mean just Charlize, obviously. Oh, and Tom and Charlize were both great, as expected. Overall a very entertaining movie. Thumbs up and all that.
    Despicable Me

minions_by_byjoeditioms-d79plpp.png

In anticipation of this Summer's Minions movie, I re-lived the fun and joy of Despicable Me. Those minions are the best animated creation since ages.
    Dirty Harry on Blu Ray

Love the film but I can't watch the "my policy" scene the same way after Naked Gun.

Fault in our Stars - liked the book and the movie is pretty good too. Having two female teenagers around the house makes you watch stuff you would never otherwise. [considering they like Star Wars/Star Trek/ Marvel /DC /scifi/ 007 I cannot complain too much] I really found it a fairly decent movie, i prefer the book [which I read as a responsible parent looking into the reading habits of daughters, relegated the twilights books to the missus :D ].
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    Dirty Harry on Blu Ray

Love the film but I can't watch the "my policy" scene the same way after Naked Gun.

Hahaha, never thought about that before.
  • edited May 2015 Posts: 6,432
    T3: Rise of the machines Looking at it purely as a action film its entertaining. I think Loken is good as the TX and easy on the eye. The vehicle chase sequence is still pretty awesome. Had fun watching this film again, though it does not escape me that its just a parody for the most part.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @fire_and_ice, that was what I attempted to do when I watched it a long while back, and while it had a few nice sequences, the bad writing, acting, CGI, etc. took me right out of the experience, as it tends to do.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    @fire_and_ice, that was what I attempted to do when I watched it a long while back, and while it had a few nice sequences, the bad writing, acting, CGI, etc. took me right out of the experience, as it tends to do.

With the imminent release of Terminator: Genisys I thought I would give the film another go, I would hope the new film is truer to the first two films. T3 in hind sight was certainly a missed opportunity.

@fire_and_ice, given the horrible promos they've released and the spoiler-filled trailers, I have no hope for the new 'Terminator.' I'll catch it as a rental one day.
    @fire_and_ice, given the horrible promos they've released and the spoiler-filled trailers, I have no hope for the new 'Terminator.' I'll catch it as a rental one day.
    Yeah it does not inspire confidence, I just hope with all the timer jumping there is a major curve ball thrown in somewhere. Think I'll wait for rental release too, want to get the first two films on Bluray, though noticed a new Bluray release for the first film is due out this year so holding off.

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Shout at the Devil A highly entertaining adventure film with Lee Marvin and Sir Rog. The movie is epic in scope, and the 2 main actors are just wonderful to see together, they have great chemistry. The cinematography, music and locations are very lush, the 2.5 hours flew by at a fast pace.

Later tonight I'll do another Sir Rog film: 'The Man Who Haunted Himself'.
    Shout at the Devil A highly entertaining adventure film with Lee Marvin and Sir Rog. The movie is epic in scope, and the 2 main actors are just wonderful to see together, they have great chemistry. The cinematography, music and locations are very lush, the 2.5 hours flew by at a fast pace.

Later tonight I'll do another Sir Rog film: 'The Man Who Haunted Himself'.

Shout at the Devil is brilliant and The man who does kind of shut you up when speaking about Moore as a good looking man with little acting talent, he shows he can with this movie.
    @fire_and_ice, also, the cover for this year's re-release of 'The Terminator' on blu-ray looks fantastic. I'd love to double dip and pick it up for the cover alone, but it would have to come with more features or something for me to warrant a purchase.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Just finished Man Who Haunted Himself. One word: Wow! Sir Rog delivers a power-house performance, he is absolutely amazing in this. The whole film is fantastic. My appreciation of Roger Moore just doubled.
    @fire_and_ice, also, the cover for this year's re-release of 'The Terminator' on blu-ray looks fantastic. I'd love to double dip and pick it up for the cover alone, but it would have to come with more features or something for me to warrant a purchase.

Cover does look great, saw it on Amazon. Reason why I have not bought the previous release hoping it is not just a repackaging.

Jack the giant slayer Visuals were good, acting felt flat on occasion though was better than I expected. Early into the film I could not help think this would be so much better if Terry Gilliam was helming.
    edited May 2015 Posts: 40,601
    'Ex Machina' (2015)

Now in the broad scope of film, this is one of those movies that you do NOT look into in any way, shape, or form, you simply watch it. Don't look at the cast, don't bother reading the plot, don't even glance at a trailer before you watch it. It's a slow-burning sci-fi film that you must see as blindly as possible. I watched it earlier this evening, and the only thing I knew of it was one trailer I watched a few months ago, so nearly all of it was fresh to me. What a film. Do yourself a favor and watch it.
    ^^ Oh? It's good? Hmmm.... I wasn't going to see it, but...

Now I'm wondering what kind of good it is. Different tastes and all that... You got me interested though.
    @Tuulia, it's a slow-burning thinker, that's for sure, with an ending that most certainly blew me away. It's not one that you put on casually in the background, that's for sure; from the start, it sucked me in because I knew that I was in for a treat (most of the critics have loved it, stating the same thing as I did: take what you know now and go see it without reading into it).
    Ok, @Creasy47. :)
    Purple Rain. Terrible movie, abhorrent acting, best soundtrack of all time.
  • edited May 2015 Posts: 2,081
    Purple Rain. Terrible movie, abhorrent acting, best soundtrack of all time.

:)) Yes, and yes, and one of the best for sure.

@Tuulia, if you end up seeing the movie at any point, do let me know if you enjoy it! :)

'The French Connection'

So I decided this summer that I was going to try and go through Netflix and whatnot to watch a ton of classics I've never seen (but should) and films that I've had on my Watch List for a very long time, and this was one of the first on the list. The only unfortunate thing about it was that this was one phenomenal, intense, and at times eerie film that took TOO long for me to get around to viewing. Phenomenal performances all around, some great twists, dialogue, and action sequences, all wrapped up in a true story that ends in a very chilling and obsessed way. I've heard the second one, albeit fictional, is still entertaining enough to check out, so I plan on doing that soon.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited May 2015 Posts: 13,911
    @Creasy47 - The second one is good, just not as much as the original. After The French Connection II, if you haven't already seen it, I would recommend The Seven Ups. It's practically The French Connection 3, with Scheider (playing an identical character) in the lead role. It has that same gritty, unglamourous style, and a car chase too.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I've never seen The Seven Ups, but the car chase is on YouTube and it's a great
    Gritty 70s chase. :)
    Marnie Great film, Sean Connery is still uber cool and confident in this, but the plot here is much more serious than his Bond adventures. This was the first time I've seen this film. Connery never ceases to amaze me.

I'm going to continue now with a Connery war/prison film: 'The Hill' (which will also be a first watch for me).