Comments

• M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    TV:
    28 March: Snitch (2013) 7.0
    05 April: Solitary Man (2009) 6.0

BD:
    chronicle.jpg
    11 April: Chronicle (2012) Extented Edition 7.5

18 April: Deadfall (2012) 7.0 The last one in 5 for € 20,00 that i bought in February 2014, time for Top 5:

1. Lockout
    2. London Boulevard
    3. Deadfall
    4. The Paperboy
    5. The Cold Light of Day
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Dumb and Dumber To

The original has always been a favourite for me, dating back to my childhood. I was really excited to hear that they were gonna do an actual sequel with Daniels and Carrey coming back. Watching it, I couldn't help but feel let down from it. They were dumb in the first one, but had various normal traits as well. For example, when Carrey talks about feeling like a nobody when deciding to go to Aspen. They were just flat out stupid in this one, bordering on mentally challenged. They really turned up the dumb-meter on this one and it shows. There were parts where I almost fell off my couch in laughter, but overall it lacked so much that made the first one so great.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    Predator Trilogy - blu-ray. Predator is a slice of 80s cheese with the ham sliced thick. This testosterone fuelled action flick could have been a complete disaster if not for the skilled direction of one John McTiernan (and thankfully Stan Winstone's redesigned Predator - the original was a laughable 50s throwback), filmed in a real jungle it still holds up today…whereas I found Predator 2, this time set in the urban jungle, a bit of a let down. I'm glad that they didn't just try and re-do the first film, but whereas Predator had J McT, 2 had the lesser talents of Stephen Hopkins (the man who helmed the complete arse-up of the big screen adaptation of Lost In Space), and it just failed to me. Danny Glover didn't convince as a hardened battle-scare cop and Bill Paxton's was ott and bloody annoying, and Robert Davi was just wasted!
    Predators however has Nimrod Antal crafting a great movie. With a sort of Most Dangerous Game feel about it as selected individuals are literally dropped into a jungle planet and learn that they have to work together to try and defeat whatever it is that is hunting them. Again shot in a real jungle, riffing on, but not ripping off the original I really enjoyed it. Adrien Brody seems to have stolen Bale's BatMan voice, but comes across really well as the anti-hero. So 1 and 3 are great, but 2 just watchable (though it could have been so much worse, so thankful that it's not), and also 1 and 3 have really hot ladies!
    Non Bond 1996's Mission Impossible

Bond Tomorrow Never Dies

Both films are great but the issue I STILL have with mission impossible is Phelps as the bad guy it makes little sense and Kitrige would of made the much better bad guy. but oh well. C'est La Vie.

This weekend as I do thing around the house I may finally pop in A walk Among the tomb Stones.

Also Avengers in 2 weeks
    MI5 in a few months
    Jurrasic world and Terminator Genesys as maybes for me

A lot of good films.

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @Lancaster007, I'm so glad you like Predators. I'm a big fan of that movie. Very well crafted indeed. Loved the concept, as you explained it, and Topher Grace just happens to be one of my favourite screen faces. (It's a That 70's Show thing I guess.)

I really would like them to pursue more Predator films based on this concept.
    Just got tickets for tomorrow night premiere of the new Avenger movie, when I say got I mean just won them.
    But I did think the movie to be later as Missus Saintly does celebrate her birthday tomorrow and as a married person you recognise that some things have priority unless one is really looking for a separation and losing half of your stuff. ;)
    Yes @DarthDimi, Predators is a great film, but I don't like the AvP films at all. And if they do anymore Predator films they really need to have a good script first. Oh, and a great cast.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    And if they do anymore Predator films they really need to have a good script first. Oh, and a great cast.

Bring back Arnold!
    Have to say @DaltonCraig007, I think Arnie's too old now and I don't think those two characters meeting again would be good - look what happened to the Terminator films!
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    The Original Star Wars Trilogy. In preparation for The Force Awakens, I've refreshed my memories on the original trilogy which I haven't watched in a pretty long time. The Prequel Trilogy sort of killed my love of Star Wars for the longest time until the trailer for The Force Awakens gave me (No pun intended) a new hope for the franchise. so here's Murdock's Star Wars Trilogy Retrospective.

Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope
    The real start of it all. For being made in 1977 it sure doesn't look like it. It's aged really well. It's also rough around the edges but has a great story. The special effects are fantastic and the cast is very well cast. This set the bar on modern science fiction movies and special effects. It did well with it's scope and really makes you think you're in a galaxy far far away. Though I feel some of the performances are a bit weak in this film, it doesn't take away from it at all and those get little gripes are stripped away by the sequel.

Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes BackI think it's very hard to make a sequel to a film of this scope that's even better than it's original. Empire Strikes Back pulled out all the stops and really blew "A New Hope" out of the water. It gave us new worlds to explore, better performances out of the cast and a great new direction for them. It put them in new dangerous situations with a great score by John Williams to boot. Everything with Empire Strikes Back is perfect. This is the quintessential Star Wars movie.

Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi This film starts on a great note, It directly follows Empire and gives us a brilliant first act on Tatooine. Were reintroduced to Jabba and his Palace of scum and villainy. It's a little film in it's own before we get into the meat and potatoes of the final showdown. I think the film does slow down a bit once things get to Endor and the Ewoks are introduced but it picks up when the Rebel Fleet arrives. I like it much better than previous viewings and is a great ending to this trilogy. I'm very excited to see where these characters will end up in The Force Awakens.

My personal rank:
    Empire Strikes Back 10/10
    Return of the Jedi 8/10
    A New Hope 7/10
    "It Follows'
    A very stylish and well done horror film. This little film shines light on our age old apprehensions regarding pre marital sex and our fear of STD's while it harkens back to the early slasher films of the 1980's when the kids "who did it" got killed while the "good girl" survived the mayhem.

After a evening of good sex in the back seat of a car, our heroine finds out that her date "passed" something to her and she has to "pass" it to someone else before "IT" can kill her.

Different, creative and the movie has some great scares. I highly recommend it to horror junkies.
  • edited April 2015 Posts: 2,081
    Continuing the Russell Crowe project:

The_Next_Three_Days_Poster.jpg
    The Next Three Days
    Directed by... and screenplay by Paul Haggis - well done. I haven't seen the French movie Pour Elle that this is based on, but I certainly liked this.

Winter%27s_tale_%28film%29.jpg
    Winter's Tale
    Colin Farrell lead, Russell Crowe supporting. A fairy tale of sorts for adults. Not great by any means, but entertaining enough.

Master_and_Commander-The_Far_Side_of_the_World_poster.png
    Master And Commander: The Far Side Of The World
    Had seen this years ago. Reason for re-watch: Russell Crowe, ahhh. The movie was pretty good, too. A good cast in general and the movie looked great, and had an interesting, though simple, story.

Girl%2C_Interrupted_Poster.jpg
    Girl, Interrupted
    Had seen this years ago, too. Reason for re-watch: James Mangold - good work once again. I remembered liking this... and still liked it. Good cast as well. And a movie about women? Well that's rare... Ok, so they're institutionalized here, but still more interesting and more individual than most women in most movies.

TheMaster2012Poster.jpg
    The Master
    Well this was weird. The actors were good. Well, duh, Joaquin Phoenix, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Amy Adams... of course they were good. The movie was... oh I don't know. I may need to watch this again sometime, didn't quite get into it this time.

Assassination_poster.jpg
    The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
    The other great (though completely different) Western of 2007. (The other being 3:10 To Yuma.)
    What a beautiful movie to look at. Kind of contemplative in style, moving slowly, accompanied by well fitting score. The director's name (Andrew Dominik) wasn't familiar to me at all. He has only directed 2 other movies neither of which I've seen. A few minutes in I had to check whose work the cinematography was. Roger Deakins. Ah well, no wonder it looked so gorgeous.
    And Casey Affleck... just fantastic. Great, great work. Why his brother is more famous I'll probably never understand. If I hadn't already developed serious appreciation for Casey then this would have done it. Why he was nominated for various awards as a "supporting actor" is pretty weird I must say. How the heck was that a "supporting" role? But at least his work was recognized. As was that of Mr Deakins.
  • edited April 2015 Posts: 1,310
    Shattered Glass
    [img]https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ru/thumb/b/b1/Афера_Стивена_Гласса_(фильм).jpg/200px-Афера_Стивена_Гласса_(фильм).jpg[/img]

Yes, that is Hayden 'Anakin Skywalker' Christensen on the poster.

But no, the movie is not bad and Christensen (despite being moderately upstaged by Peter Sarsgaard, an excellent actor) isn't too bad in it. The film follows Stephen Glass, the American journalist who fabricated a bunch of his magazine articles, during the time in which he was caught. There's some shaky backstories that fall flat, but I found it to be a solid look into desperation and lying, and would certainly recommend it to any of you who are interested in journalism.

7.5/10
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    reclaim-posterart.jpg

I like Cusack, he is one of my favourite actors, but here he seemed to be on autopilot.

My John Cusack ranking:
    1. Max (2002)
    2. Grosse Point Blank (1997)
    3. The Ice Harvest (2005)
    4. 1408 (2007)
    5. War Inc (2008)
    6. Bullets Over Broadway (1994)
    7. The Frozen Ground (2013)
    8. Identity (2003)
    9. Runaway Jury (2003)
    10. The Grifters (1990)
    11. Grand Piano (2013)
    12. Maps To The Stars (2014)
    13. Con Air (1997)
    14. Must Love Dogs (2005)
    15. The Numbers Station (2013)
    16. 2012 (2009)
    17. Hot Tub Time Machine (2010)
    18. Shanghai (2010)
    19. The Contract (2006)
    20. The Raven (2012)
    21. The Factory (2012)
    22. America's Sweethearts (2001)
    *****23. Reclaim (2014)*****
    24. Drive Hard (2014)
    25. The Prince (2014)
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    I quite liked 2012,@MajorDSmythe. Not amongst the best made film by a huge margin, but great special effects, a lot of humour. Kept me entertaining for the 2.5 hours, which is all I ask for a film of this nature.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I liked 2012 as well, @DaltonCraig007. It's a disaster film that does what it says on the tin.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    AVENGERS-AGE OF ULTRON

I want to see it again. There is a lot to wow you here. Stan Lee has one of his most fun cameos yet. Scarlet Witch, I love her! Tony Stark goes to Oslo. Ultron has a way with words to match Iron Man himself. Go see it for yourselves. If you liked the other Marvel movies, no way you will not like this one too.
    I think Grosse Point Blank and Hot Tub Time Machine are the best John Cussack films I've seen, Con Air is also a lot of fun. Didn't really enjoy 2012 at all, although tbf it's not really my sort of film. Anyway, I watched this yesterday

sq_salvation.jpg

A great Spaghetti Western with a great cast including a lot of Bond alumni (Johnathon Pryce, Eva Green and Mads Mikkleson playing the lead) and, bizarrely, Eric Cantona of all people. Mads is a Danish soldier who's immigrated to the American West after a war with Germany to try and make a new life for himself. He's been there a couple of years and his wife and kid have followed him out there but the reunion is short lived and his family don't last the journey to their new home. He quickly avenges his family but this sets off another revenge story because the brother of one of the rapists is a vicious outlaw who the nearby town has been paying protection money. Shit goes down, etc. The tagline on the above poster says "bad men will bleed". The film pretty much does what it says on the tin.

It doesn't reinvent the genre but it's a great, old school Western (with a different, interesting background for the main character) that wears it's influences (Sergio Leone clearly being a big one) on it's sleeve. It's tough, violent, really well acted (Eva Green plays a mute woman and still manages to be great, the villain does a good job and Mads Mikkleson is brilliant), and really well shot, the cinematography is pretty great. The film ends with a bang too, the finale doesn't disappoint. I really liked it, I'd definitely check it out if you're a fan of Westerns and/or any of these actors.
    OHMSS69 wrote: »
    "It Follows'
    A very stylish and well done horror film. This little film shines light on our age old apprehensions regarding pre marital sex and our fear of STD's while it harkens back to the early slasher films of the 1980's when the kids "who did it" got killed while the "good girl" survived the mayhem.

After a evening of good sex in the back seat of a car, our heroine finds out that her date "passed" something to her and she has to "pass" it to someone else before "IT" can kill her.

Different, creative and the movie has some great scares. I highly recommend it to horror junkies.

I dragged my wife to the cinema a couple of weeks ago to see this when it was first released over here, I was sort of worried because of all the hype (The Babadook was also really hyped and personally I found that a little disappointing) but it managed to live up to it. One of the best horror films I've seen in a while. Really well done with a great premise behind it, thought it did a good job employing creepy supernatural elements into the Halloween style slasher template.
    edited April 2015 Posts: 15,694
    @MajorDSmythe I'm gonna use your Cusack list for my own look at his work. I love him as and actor and I see from your list there is plenty of his films I haven't seen.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I really enjoyed2012, as I love all disaster movies ( San Andreas, coming up).
    and even the older ones, like Earthquake etc.
    @MajorDSmythe I'm gonna use your Cusack list for my own look at his work. I love him as and actor and I see from your list there is plenty of his films I haven't seen.

I'm glad to have helped. There is still a lot of his work that I haven't seen, such as his 80's films. There's also films since then, such as Grace Is Gone, which I have read a lot of positive things about.
    My John Cusack ranking:
    1. ---

It always amazes me people can rank movies like that. Many of you do that, and I find it fascinating. I wouldn't be able to. I think the best I could manage would be to put (for instance an actor's) movies in categories between "love to bits" and "watching once was practically too many times" or something, but trying to rank 10 or 20 or 40 movies in actual order somehow... For me that would be a hopeless task. Maybe I should try the category thing sometimes.

edited April 2015 Posts: 15,694
    @MajorDSmythe I remember we talked about 'The Bag Man'. If you haven't seen it, you really should, it's quite similar to 'Numbers Station' (recluse settings, mostly in the dark/night) and Cusack is a proper badass in it.
    @MajorDSmythe I remember we talked about 'The Bag Man'. If you haven't seen it, you really should, it's quite similar to 'Numbers Station' (recluse settings, mostly in the dark/night) and Cusack is a proper badass in it.

I do recall you praising The Bag Man before, @DaltonCraig007.

As for ranking movies, I have tried it via categories with my Bond ranking. Though I will occasionally a include a cut-off point.
    I was long overdue for rewatching the Star Wars saga, so I began with Episode I: The Phantom Menace tonight. Upon rewatch, I still believe it is underrated to an extent. Yes, I understand it is flawed (Jar Jar Binks, slow segments weigh it down), but there's a lot to like about it - Qui-Gon Jinn, Darth Maul, the lightsaber duel, and John Williams' score are all big pluses for me anyways. One of the weaker episodes, but I still enjoy it for what it is personally.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    The gungans are as bad as the ewoks. i hope there are no such cute/silly people in the new films.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Transformers 4, great effects but story and characters were not
    very good.
    Next time you watch all the Star Wars movies, try this order: 4, 5, 2, 3 & 6.

This way you get to start with the original movie, end with a huge cliffhanger, then see how Vader became how he was (without spoiling he's Luke's father) and this makes 6 even more nailbiting. Remember the first time we see Luke in Ep 6, he's wearing all black and using the Force choke, which, with Ep 2 & 3 recent in your mind, gives the impression Luke could be on the same path as Anakin. Adds more layers to 6 and the saga as a whole is helped.

Notice I completely skip Ep 1, lol
    It really adds nothing. Everyone who's introduced in 1 still gets established in 2, so all you miss is Qui-Gon & Darth Maul (worth it IMO)
    With Jurassic World coming soon, I decided to rewatch the original trilogy.

Just finished Jurassic Park (1993). This is one of my favorite films of all time, and I have seen this film atleast 50 times. Everything is great about this: the plot, the acting (especially Goldblum), the soundtrack, the action, the tension... I can't believe this film is 2 hours long, it felt way shorter. Spielberg really is the master of these epic adventure films.

Next up: 'The Lost World'. Starting now.
  • edited April 2015 Posts: 1,310
    The Avengers (2012)

avengersposter-AWF.jpg

Age of Ultron is nearly one week away here in the States, and I felt the first film deserved a re-watch. While watching, I realized I had only seen the film beginning-to-end one time.

During my first viewing in 2012, I remember leaving feeling a little underwhelmed. I mean, the movie was fun and all, but something was missing. Big, loud, but forgettable to an extent. Unfortunately, I felt the same way with this re-watch. The best part of the movie, far and away, is after Loki is captured and the Avengers bicker amongst themselves with Loki adding fuel to the fire. It's a great bit of psychological byplay and builds up some actual tension.

Yet the movie's overly long fights (particularly the ending), goofy fan-boyisms and laziness are what drags it down. There's this unrelenting smugness throughout the film, almost as if all the actors are in on the whole thing. The film crosses the line of total parody one too many times. Hulk sucker punching Thor is right out of something like Superhero Movie. I remember that scene getting big laughs, but I always though it was stupid as hell. (Though I will admit that Hulk's beatdown of Loki is much better handled.)

In my mind, Bruce Banner's 'revelation' of always being angry and having the ability to control his Hulk power directly betrays EVERYTHING the character is all about. Additionally, the handling of this moment is incredibly sloppy and makes no sense. (Never even mind the fact that Banner shows up out of nowhere.) Up to the Battle of New York, the last time we saw Banner turn into the Hulk featured him destroying chunks of the Helicarrier and attempting to rip Black Widow and Thor apart. So all of a sudden, when the movie needs him to during the ending, Banner is able to change into The Hulk with no issues and take orders from others? Seriously, what? Oh, so Captain America can tell Hulk to, "Smash." Haha, get it? :-w

I don't believe something like Agent Coulson's death would be the factor to finally unite The Avengers. As much as I like Clark Gregg's portrayal, his roles in the previous Marvel films ranged from totally nonexistent to blink-and-you-miss-it cameos, to an extended cameo in Thor. It never seemed like he was the one best friend that connected every Avenger - he was just the friendly, no-nonsense SHIELD director. I realize that they have expanded Coulson's character in Agents of SHIELD (in which Clark Gregg upstages all of his costars by roughly 40 miles), but his lack of setup in the Marvel films before The Avengers just wasn't enough if he was to play such a pivotal role.

When the Portal to outer space opened and giant space whales emerged to terrorize New York I literally said aloud, "What happened to this movie?" I mean, I understood all the events that led up to the Portal opening, but I just couldn't believe that this was where the movie was actually going.

Now, I have never read a comic book. (BOOM - there it is.) Judge me on that if you must, but how can this movie be better than something like 2008's The Dark Knight? How can it even be measured in the same capacity? I don't think The Dark Knight is perfect, mind you, but I feel it is far sharper and better than The Avengers. I realize that something like an Avengers film was probably going to be BIG, but the 'small' fist-fight between Spider-Man and The Green Goblin at the end of 2002's Spider-Man is far more intimate and engaging than the bloated, endless mayhem at the end of The Avengers. It is a real shame because The Avengers sets up some great tension between the group and Loki, but the fact that the film ends up being about preventing intergalactic space whales from destroying the Earth is about as disappointing and dumb as it sounds.

Downey Jr. is outstanding of course, as is Tom Hiddleston. The rest of the cast is just fine, I suppose. Parts of me feel than Scarlett Johansson forces it a bit with Black Widow, but nothing terribly distracting.

The Avengers is not a disaster, and it really isn't that bad of a film. It just suffers what most Marvel movies suffer from - it is a bit forgettable. Uniting a bunch of superheroes on screen is one thing, but actually using that to make an engaging story is another. The film earns all the points for style it can get and is indeed a fun ride, but with the exception of the middle 30 minutes, I see very little gripping substance.

6/10