Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    Ransom (1975) - British Lion [Network - The British Film]. Starring Sean Connery this effective thriller from the mid-seventies (when almost every other film was about hijacking) has the big Scot playing Scandinavian security chief Col Tahlvik. After a series of bombings in London, the British ambassador to Scandinavia is held hostage as the terrorist demand free passage…meanwhile an inbound plane is hijacked and forced to land, so begins a game of cat and mouse.
    I'd not seen, or even heard of, this film before but was intrigued enough to buy it (especially as Network had 40% off there catalogue). Connery gives a solid performance with Ian McShane as the skyjacker and a solid supporting cast. Directed by Casper Wrede who seems to have done most of his work in TV, this is fairly standard fare and does resemble more a well made TV film than a cinema blockbuster. But well worth a viewing.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited February 2015 Posts: 15,696
    Just finished Undiscovered Country and Generations.

TUC is awesome, really liked it, and the end was quite emotional for me after having spent 6 films with this crew. The story was real interesting and I loved the prison bit.

Generations was OK, not as bad as Final Frontier (sorry @chrisisall ;) ). However the film looked quite cheap and reminded me more of the quality of a Trek TV episode (I used to watch sometimes with my brother) than a film.
    Glad you enjoyed TUC, a lovely way to say goodbye (I think all Star Trek fans get a little choked up in that last scene). Generations had great potential regarding the Nexus and what any of us would do to get back to a point in our lives when we were truly happy or to be with the people we loved. Science Fiction can entertain AND ask serious questions which TUC did regarding the nature of prejudice and our ability to forgive and build bridges. But the execution of Generations was poor and Shatner's death could have been handled in a much better way. A wasted opportunity IMHO
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I agree, I don't think that GENERATIONS is as terrible as it's made out to be.
    It's the second worst movie ever made! It was fecal matter by committee. It was offensive and filled with bad CGI. It was a disrespectful and sloppy disgrace and the re-filmed ending due to test-audience disgust didn't help it. The only thing that could really help this film is the nearest Black Hole.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    chrisisall wrote: »
    I agree, I don't think that GENERATIONS is as terrible as it's made out to be.
    It's the second worst movie ever made! It was fecal matter by committee. It was offensive and filled with bad CGI. It was a disrespectful and sloppy disgrace and the re-filmed ending due to test-audience disgust didn't help it. The only thing that could really help this film is the nearest Black Hole.

Here here. It's a cash in on TOS and TNG and marketed as a Kirk and Picard team up to save the day movie. Plinkett said it best. "Star Trek: Generations is the Stupidest movie ever made" I agree. Why couldn't Saurin just fly a ship into the Nexus instead of blowing up a sun? Why did Picard even care about the People of Veridian III when they were all Nomads? Why was William Shatner impersonating Captain Kirk on the Enterprise B? SO MANY QUESTIONS! =))

I wish Sybok was around to take that pain away from me.
    The last two were worse, by far.
    Last two? Like the last two Next Gen movies or the last two Star Trek films by J.J. Abrams? :P
    Murdock wrote: »
    The last two were worse, by far.
    Last two? Like the last two Next Gen movies or the last two Star Trek films by J.J. Abrams? :P

=))
    The Abrams ones were decent enough a distraction. They didn't feel like STAR TREK to me.
    Or any other real fan, I conjure.
    Abrams is a Star Wars fan; I have total faith that he will do right by that franchise.
    Star Trek was merely his training ground.
    The Abrams ones were decent enough a distraction. They didn't feel like STAR TREK to me.
    Or any other real fan, I conjure.
    Abrams is a Star Wars fan; I have total faith that he will do right by that franchise.
    Star Trek was merely his training ground.
    Ah but we have to remember Nick Meyer wasn't a fan of Star Trek either before he worked on Wrath of Khan. ;)

I enjoyed both Abrams films. I'm looking forward to the next one. Hopefully it will be lighter in tone.
    Ah but we have to remember Nick Meyer wasn't a fan of Star Trek either before he worked on Wrath of Khan. ;)
    But HE did the research. HE watched the bulk of the original episodes before embarking on his mission.
    THAT'S why his vision of Trek succeeded. Abrams was just making action films based on what the writers were providing him.
    :P
    But HE did the research. HE watched the bulk of the original episodes before embarking on his mission.
    THAT'S why his vision of Trek succeeded. Abrams was just making action films based on what the writers were providing him.
    :P

True but Abrams wasn't trying to redo that so to speak. He was trying to put his stamp on the Franchise while sprinkling various references to Trek throughout his movies. I don't mind that. With Trek, I'm always excited to see new things with small references to what's been done.
    We just watched Lucy on Blu Ray, second watch for me, first for my Wife & Son... we all loved it. My Wife didn't care for the extreme violence so much, but liked the sci-fi aspects & characterizations. Luc Besson is a nut, bless his heart. :))
    Chisisall is spot ion, with hindsight, its remarkable that they basically gave Star Trek to Meyer and said, what can you do?, (he had zero experience with the franchise before that): he directed, wrote and controlled the complete project. I don't think they would do that now and I dont think, Abrams has the same understanding of character, dialogue etc as Meyer. Abrams is far more concerned with the visuals, fast cuts and the action which, in the long term, does not, on its own make a decent film.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited February 2015 Posts: 13,970
    I am not a Star Trek fan, but I have seen all 4 of the 'Next Generation' films, and I didn't think any of them were bad. But if anyone thinks that Star Trek: Generations, Star Trek: First Contact, Star Trek: Insurrection or Star Trek: Nemesis is the worst film (or one of) ever, then I envy you.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    First Contact Great film, full of epic scenes and colourful characters. Really liked the story.
    Insurrection Good film, again looked more like a TV episode than a film, but I quite like Picard and his crew.
    Nemesis I guess it was ok, strange end to the original timeline. Tom Hardy really hammed it up :)) But I liked the film.
  • edited February 2015 Posts: 503
    Never Say Never Again- Meh. some good moments but mostly average.
  • edited February 2015 Posts: 2,081
    To The Wonder (2012) by Terrence Malick, starring Emmanuel Lubezki... :) oh, and Olga Kurylenko (very good), Javier Bardem (ok, I suppose), Rachel McAdams (ok), and Ben Affleck (I hope I'll learn to appreciate his, um, acting some day, I really do - so far I don't even understand how he gets cast). This movie seems like a companion piece to The Tree Of Life.

A Midsummer Night's Dream (1999). Lighthearted and colorful. Nothing special, but quite enjoyable.

All The Little Animals (1998) with Christian Bale and John Hurt. --- And that information was literally all I had when I started watching, no idea whatsoever of what the story might involve or anything... which is a rare treat. And so was the movie, and both leads were excellent. (Don't be fooled by the name - this is not cute and sweet, and definitely not for kids.)

Birdman (2014). This finally came to town last night, been waiting for weeks. I haven't seen all of Alejandro González Iñárritu's movies (even though he hasn't made that many), clearly I need to correct that state of affairs. Babel and Biutiful were both great and so was this. Biutiful was exceptionally heartbreaking... this was exceptionally funny, which I didn't expect at all. And oh, Emmanuel Lubezki... he does such great work. Great acting, too, especially from Michael Keaton and Edward Norton. I'm really surprised that the Academy actually gave it Oscars (though sadly not to those two actors... I hope the guys who got them deserved them - haven't seen those movies). What a refreshing movie, I'm still grinning. :D
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Just finished Whiplash. Very, very good. Huge performances and turns some conventions of the genre on their heads.
  • quantumofsolacequantumofsolace England
    Finally caught up with Scorsese's The Wolf Of Wall Street. Not one of his best but still an amazing piece of film-making. Impossible to care about any of the characters as they're all so repulsive. To say it doesn't portray Wall Street brokers in a terribly good light is something of an understatement.
    I just finished Star Trek and Into Darkness. Before watching the old films I really liked the latest 2 outings, the CGI is breathtaking and the cast was cool. But now, i much prefer the original films, Nimoy and Shatner are way more charistmatic, and I also prefer the old style special effects, with colours flying across the screen. It just looked cooler. The rebooted Trek films are still good but IMO are no match to the original films.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    I just watched MUNICH (2005) for the first time since the theater. I had forgotten that not only do we get a pre-Bond Daniel Craig, but it s revealed that Dominic Greene is the son of Hugo Drax.

Although maybe slightly tenuous wasn't Bana at one point in the running for Bond before Craig was cast?

The fact that they are all in there reminds me of Ronin, Bond villains all over the place, Sean Bean, Jonathan Pryce and of course Michael Lonsdale.

A cracking film I too caught it at the cinema, actually my first time I saw DC on the big screen, it's due out on Blu ray very soon, definitely will be picking it up.
    Daltoncriag - you have great taste, if I can convince my wife, Star Trek 6 will be showing on screen one at home tonight. In addition to the classic team, the modern bad guys are no match for Khan or General Chang
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    Just watched Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan in tribute to the late great Leonard Nimoy. Great film, great actor, will be sorely missed.
    Spock: The ship... out of danger?

Kirk: Yes.

Spock: Do not grieve, Admiral. It is logical. The needs of the many, outweigh...

Kirk: The needs of the few.

Spock: Or the one. I never took the Kobayashi Maru test until now. What do you think of my solution?

Kirk: Spock.

[Spock sits down]

Spock: I have been, and always shall be, your friend.

[he places a Vulcan salute on the glass]

Spock: Live long and prosper.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited February 2015 Posts: 23,883
    Shardlake wrote: »
    I just watched MUNICH (2005) for the first time since the theater. I had forgotten that not only do we get a pre-Bond Daniel Craig, but it s revealed that Dominic Greene is the son of Hugo Drax.

Although maybe slightly tenuous wasn't Bana at one point in the running for Bond before Craig was cast?

The fact that they are all in there reminds me of Ronin, Bond villains all over the place, Sean Bean, Jonathan Pryce and of course Michael Lonsdale.

A cracking film I too caught it at the cinema, actually my first time I saw DC on the big screen, it's due out on Blu ray very soon, definitely will be picking it up.

It's funny. I was just scrolling up this thread on my phone from the last post onwards and read the response before the original post about which movie it was. I assumed you were talking about Ronin, but then realized it was in fact Munich.

Coincidentally, Pryce, Bean and Lonsdale were all in Ronin too. Along with the always excellent Stellan Skarsgard who incidentally would make a great Blofeld imho, although he's already gone up against Craig in TGWTDT.
  • edited March 2015 Posts: 4,813
    starship-troopers-3-marauder-movie-poster-2008-1010443139.jpg

Starship Troopers 3
    I'm a big fan of the first one; I never bothered with the direct to video sequel because first and foremost it looked hilariously bad but also because it didn't have any of the original cast returning. The characters are one of the biggest reasons I love the first one, and we didn't just see them in combat, but also High School and Boot Camp.

However I did notice another sequel that I wasn't initially aware of pop up on Netflix and lo and behold, there's Johnny Rico on the cover! So I was more willing to give this one a chance.

Holy crap was this movie bad. The acting was atrocious and there were NO likable characters. The special effects pulled a 'Superman IV' on us and look many MANY times worse than the original, despite coming out over 10 years later. The 'excuse' they made for the lack of sets and locations was the fact that they fight in trenches now. So what we see the first half of the movie is the same dirt wall over and over. The movie is called 'Marauder' and it refers to these giant mech suits that they wear at the end, like something out of E.X.O. Squad. Obviously, with their shoestring budget, these suits look like cartoons (but I was so out of the movie by then it didn't even effect me). It may have been smarter to just not have those at all if they couldn't do a decent job!

Regarding Casper Van Dien, who you remember is the only reason I bothered to watch this movie....
    WTF happened to him?? He isn't even the same Johnny Rico in this movie! Remember the last minute of Starship Troopers, when he shouts 'COME ON YOU APES, YOU WANNA LIVE FOREVER???' and it was pretty laughable? Well in ST3 he's like that the whole movie!! There was one part in particular that literally made me laugh out loud-- they'r all lined up about to get fitted for their Marauder suits (which is done while naked BTW) and Rico's going on about how dangerous this will be and one of the women Troopers shouts,
    'You know what I think Sir?'
    Rico gets right in her face and is screaming, 'WHAT'S THAT, SERGEANT?'
    She responds, 'I think it's a good day to die SIR!'
    Rico immediately replies (nose to nose with her) 'OOOOOUT-STANDING!!!!'

I wonder if Casper Van Dien's career might have gone better if he just bit the bullet and did Starship Troopers 2 as well-- then at least he'd have a whole trilogy under his belt, which would have looked good as an actor. I understand he's the new Johnny Cage in that Mortal Kombat webseries- I'll have to give it a watch. That could be some genius casting- we'll see.

So yeah, long story short, Starship Troopers 3 gets a 0 out of 5 from me... and I kind of feel like a dumbass for not seeing it coming.

I noticed a newer movie on Netflix as well, all CGI though, but it at least has Rico, Ibanez & Jenkins in it. Maybe I'll give that one a shot.... but I doubt it! :)
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @Master_Dahark

I consider the animated ST far better than those two sequels. I was glad to finish the series with that movie instead of with ST3, which has barely anything in it to keep me awake.
  • edited March 2015 Posts: 7,653
    FOCUS with Will Smith, amusing light comedy about thieving and swindling. Miles better than his scifi stuff.
    Started a rewatch of the X Men films

X-Men: Very good start of the franchise. Quite low key atmosphere until an epic end sequence. I am always amazed at how 'small' Hugh Jackman looks in this, compared to how fit he is in the most recent outings.
    X2: Excellent, even better than the previous film. More action, more characters, the story is more epic and the entire end sequence is breathtaking.
    The Last Stand: I liked it, but it's not as good as the first 2. The CGI has improved a lot since 2000, but the story is not as epic as before. The end battle is cool, however.
    Origin - Wolverine: My least favorite, it's quite campy, and there are several completely OTT moments ( the boxing match with the very fat guy), and the end battle is quite boring. The acting is also not on par with the previous films.
    First Class: One of my favorite movies, it's an epic 2 hours thrill ride. The cast is excellent, especially Fassbender. The films looks very lush, pure 1960's and feels like a superhero film with a Connery era atmosphere. The end battle is just amazing. I love the grand scope feel of the film.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited March 2015 Posts: 23,864
    <font color=#003300>DD's Kevin Smith Movie Retrospective</font>
    <font color=#334455 size=5><b>03</b>Chasing Amy (1997)</font>
    Chasing%20Amy.jpg

Having been a co-executive producer on Good Will Hunting, Kevin Smith teamed up with Ben Affleck once more and wrote Chasing Amy, perhaps his most celebrated film to date. Call it a romantic comedy if you like, Chasing Amy tells the story of an unlikely romance between a lesbian, played by the enigmatic Joey Lauren Adams, and a man who fell in love with her the very first moment he saw her, played by Ben Affleck. While we, Bond fans, aren't entirely alien to the notion of 'converting' a lesbian by hooking her up with a first class alpha male, many folks were slightly upset by how things play out in Chasing Amy. Yet despite this little controversy, the film was overall praised, amongst other things for Smith's much improved filmmaking.

Things have indeed improved since Mallrats. Not just the photography and the acting, but the writing too seem to be reaching for something higher than ever before in Smith's 'View Askewniverse'. This film is more ambitious on a technical level - and it shows! With Adams and Affleck in lead parts this time, and with Matt Damon somewhere in the mix too, the cast is overall more pleasant to follow around. Jason Lee, unfortunately, is present as well, but even he has a better game going than his obnoxious acting in Mallrats. I'm usually not a fan of his yet in Chasing Amy, I can endorse his presence. Also, the comedic interludes by Jay and Silent Bob have been squeezed down to a bare minimum, which is good since they really don't fit the theme of the film.

Lest we overstate the quality of Chasing Amy, let me say that we're still barely passed the level of amateur filmmaking, but Smith shows potential and he has learned a lot since Mallrats. Chasing Amy isn't Oscar winning material but you can do a lot worse than this one. It's a decent enough, and a funny enough movie to keep you entertained. Joey Lauren Adams, with her cute voice, steals the show. And Affleck... well, Affleck is Affleck but he manages to be charming and carry the plot of the movie. He must have enjoyed Chasing Amy well enough because this isn't the last time he and Smith will partner up.

Good film!

The verdict

Chasing Amy (1997): 7,5/10
    Clerks (1994): 7/10
    Mallrats (1995): 4/10