Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Started watching the whole Batman series (not just the Nolan trilogy).

Batman Very good film, I really like the look of Gotham and Keaton is great. However the Batmobile is a bit weird (what's that pointy thing at the front?). Nicholson delivers an insane performance, and Bassinger is eye candy although annoying. Alfred was cool but I much prefer Caine.
    Batman Returns Quite entertaining, but some big problems: Where is Batman? He was hardly in the film! (apart from the end) And while DeVito was memorable at the start, he became annoying by the end of the film. Catwoman's outfit was very sexy, however!
  • edited March 2015 Posts: 4,813
    However the Batmobile is a bit weird (what's that pointy thing at the front?).
    That's a JET TURBINE INTAKE. We never see the car go too fast in the movie, but this lets us know it sure as hell could
    Batman Returns Quite entertaining, but some big problems: Where is Batman? He was hardly in the film! (apart from the end)
    I thought that even as a little kid when I saw it opening day, June 19th 1992!!
    Too bad there isn't a Directors Cut out there waiting to be found in some Hollywood basement with more BATMAN....
    We got too precious little of Keaton as Bats, didn't we? Like a certain Bond actor....

But not without it's problems, I still love BR and have a big ol' soft spot for it.

....And a better Christmas movie? There is none! Batman Returns is a strict Christmas TRADITION in my neck of the woods! :D
    Over the past week...

Batman and Robin Viewed this with a highly amusing Kevin Smith commentary.
    Elysium
    Desolation of SmaugExtended Edition.
    Empire Strikes Back
    Wrath of Khan
    The Search for Spock
    Highlander
    The original Star Wars trilogy
    1. Empire strikes back
    2. Return of the jedi, A new hope
  • edited March 2015 Posts: 6,432
    Started watching the whole Batman series (not just the Nolan trilogy).

Batman Very good film, I really like the look of Gotham and Keaton is great. However the Batmobile is a bit weird (what's that pointy thing at the front?). Nicholson delivers an insane performance, and Bassinger is eye candy although annoying. Alfred was cool but I much prefer Caine.
    Batman Returns Quite entertaining, but some big problems: Where is Batman? He was hardly in the film! (apart from the end) And while DeVito was memorable at the start, he became annoying by the end of the film. Catwoman's outfit was very sexy, however!

Batman commentary #046 and #047 http://smodcast.com/channels/fatman-on-batman/page/4/

Batman Returns Commentary http://smodcast.com/episodes/bernardin-returns-for-batman-returns/

Both worth a listen.
    Currently watching Mission Impossible 2, been some time since I watched it. The film really is hard work. The film is terrible, obviously just my opinion, the Bluray copy is easily the worst looking of the series. Bought the film just to complete the set.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Batman Forever Quite bad, but I thought Val Kilmer was cool as Batman, but nowhere as good as Keaton and Bale. I never saw Jim Carrey be so irritating before.
    Batman & Robin Um... Mindblowingly awful! What's with the Bat-nipples? What's with the frequent ass-shot and crotch-shot? What's with Arnold acting like a total idiot? This film makes DAD look like a masterpiece.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    Twins of Evil - Hammer Horror [Network - The British Film] Blu-ray. This Hammer Horror from 1971 mixes Witch-hunting and vampirism. Peter Cushing plays the fanatical Puritan who happily burns young girls at the stake, while his orphaned nieces come to stay. One good. And one naughty, who comes under the spell of local bad-boy and soon to be vampire, Count Karnstein. The twins are played by Playboy Playmates Mary and Madelaine Collinson. Considering that one of the selling points of the film was the use of Playboy's first twin playmates, there is very little nudity on show and little gore until the finale. Although at one point Cushing's character says that 'the devil has sent me twins of evil' only one of the girls is bad. The real twins of evil in this film are vampirism and puritan witch-hunting, two sides of the same coin!
    Not totally lacking in bite though there could have been more thrills, more gore and more flesh, but having said that it is still a better watch than half-a-dozen Twilight films!
    Heist - Filling in the gaps re Gene Hackman movies. Had high hopes but a little disappointing. The plot never really gelled and it looked a little low budget. But still worth a watch.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    This film makes DAD look like a masterpiece.
    Then it serves a purpose.
    =))
    Batman Forever Quite bad, but I thought Val Kilmer was cool as Batman, but nowhere as good as Keaton and Bale. I never saw Jim Carrey be so irritating before.
    Batman & Robin Um... Mindblowingly awful! What's with the Bat-nipples? What's with the frequent ass-shot and crotch-shot? What's with Arnold acting like a total idiot? This film makes DAD look like a masterpiece.

I agree with everything. :P

(Not 100% sure about never having seen Jim Carrey so irritating before, but couldn't actually name anything, so probably that, too.)

Snowpiercer wants to be a mindblowing SCIFI movie is rather mundane and dissapointing.

Worldwar Z the movie has its moments but is overal average, and having seen it once it will do.

Jack Ryan: shadow recruit
    a fun movie which I do want want to bother with ever again. Just want to mention that Affleck did a better movie.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    edited March 2015 Posts: 45,489
    THE ARISTOCATS

When I was five, I made my mom take me to see this four times. I am still as fascinated by it as I was back then. The first Disney film released after the death of Uncle Walt, but he was heavily involved in the creative process until the end.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Twins of Evil - Hammer Horror [Network - The British Film] Blu-ray. This Hammer Horror from 1971 mixes Witch-hunting and vampirism. Peter Cushing plays the fanatical Puritan who happily burns young girls at the stake, while his orphaned nieces come to stay. One good. And one naughty, who comes under the spell of local bad-boy and soon to be vampire, Count Karnstein. The twins are played by Playboy Playmates Mary and Madelaine Collinson. Considering that one of the selling points of the film was the use of Playboy's first twin playmates, there is very little nudity on show and little gore until the finale. Although at one point Cushing's character says that 'the devil has sent me twins of evil' only one of the girls is bad. The real twins of evil in this film are vampirism and puritan witch-hunting, two sides of the same coin!
    Not totally lacking in bite though there could have been more thrills, more gore and more flesh, but having said that it is still a better watch than half-a-dozen Twilight films!

@Lancaster007

Yeah, pretty nice film though I consider it the weaker of the Karnstein trilogy. ;-)
    i've started a Coen brothers marathon! I've only seen No Country, True Grit and Big Lebowski, so I will watch all their films in chronological order.

First off, Blood Simple. Brilliant first film for them, very gritty atmosphere. Frances Mcdormand is great as always, and there is this piano track that appears a few times in the movie, which I really liked. The film looks low budget but they made the most of what the had to work with.
    Raising Arizona Not their best film (from the (now) 5 I've seen of them), but the film is just bonkers. Nic Cage is on fire, the 2 criminal friends are insane. The chase scene when Cage tries to rob the store is so hilarious, I was in stitches. So maybe not a masterpiece but as a comedy it works very well, I was laughing for 90 minutes.
    Miller's Crossing What an amazing film. I was mesmerized by it. Very captivating atmosphere, the cinematography is wonderful in this, all the actors were brilliant. I think it's a film that gets even better with repeated viewing but I loved it already. This was very different from gangster films I am used to watching.
    Barton Fink Now this was just epic. Turturro and Goodman were amazing, the film may be slow in parts but I was just completely absorbed by the film. I'll have to watch it again but this IMO will be in the top Coen films when I'll have completed my Coen marathon.
    Toy Story 3!

Finally got round to seeing this film, with characters that I absolutely adore! Fantastic entertainment for children and adults alike if you ask me. I also discover too that their is to be a Toy Story 4 released in 2017! Fantastic!!! :-bd

Expendables 3!

For me these films never disappoint at all. Humour, A list stars from my visual past growing up, action by the bucket load, and just all out over the top escapism! Just a little sad Bruce Willis wasn't in it this time.
    The Coens are great. One of the things I love about their movies is that they are totally unpredictable. That is not shared by a whole lot of filmmakers.
    The Hudsucker Proxy A nice christmas movie, the first hour is gold but the film slows down in the 2nd half. Robbins and Newman were on fire in this, and I loved the hula-hoop sequence. Not the best Coen's films but still pretty good.
    Fargo First time I've seen this one, and I must say it's a brillant film. The story is insane, the whole cast played very well, especially William H Macy and Frances McDormand. Absolutely epic film that I'll have to rewatch again.
    Big Lebowski I really love this film, it's comedic gold. The film has endless classic quotes, and Jeff Bridges is simply breathtaking as the Dude. John Goodman is also hilarious, he's great in everything he appears in.
    O Brother Where Art Thou Another great film, the main trio of actors is awesome. The film is a perfect way to spend 2 hours watching. This is also one I'll have to rewatch soon. I hope it will help me forgive Clooney for the monstruosity I saw recently (Batman & Robin).
  • edited March 2015 Posts: 1,310
    Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit

I was expecting a slightly forgettable but nonetheless solid action/thriller flick. What I got was a clunky, hokey, sloppy, rushed, painfully predictable load of nonsense. I don't even think I can say it was alright -- this movie kind of sucked, and I'm a little surprised by that.

4/10 -- From what I remember of the other films, this is easily the worst Jack Ryan movie.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Kingsman: The Secret Service

Went to see this one in theatres. Great movie! Loved every bit of it. There are differences with the comic, but overall I think both work well. Sam Jackson is delicious, so is Colin Firth and, well, pretty much everyone else in the cast. :-) Excellent spy adventure film.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Inception-One of my all time favorite films.
    Cleopatra [1934] - (Eureka - The Masters of Cinema) dual format Blu-ray/DVD. This historical epic stars the gorgeous Claudette Clobert and directed by master of epic Hollywood Cecil B DeMille. Concentrating on the relationships between Cleopatra and Julius Ceaser (Warren Williams) and Mark Antony (Henry Wilcoxon) this is a lavish film of typical Hollywood excess. There is one battle scene toward the end on land and sea, which is a montage of fast cuts many no more than a few seconds, very modern but not at all confusing. A film from Hollywood's golden age, not history but historical fiction and well worth a viewing.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    @Lancaster007 , that's probably the best of the three film versions I've seen. But, that isn't saying all that much.
    I agree here totally.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Alan Hume is the cinematography, as he was for most of the early CARRY ON films. He would go on to photograph a few Bond films in the '80s.

Alan (Return Of The Jedi) Hume?
    Started to rewatch/discover for the first time the Ridley Scott films in order. I am skipping Alien because I am planning an Alien marathon soon.

The Duellists Great film, the soundtrack and locations are splendid, the film may be a bit cheap compared to what I am used to from Scott but it was great considering it was his first film. Harvey Keitel is awesome as always.
    Blade Runner This is one of my favorite films. Everything about it is perfect, from the music, special effect, story and acting. Harrison Ford really is THE man. Absolutly perfect film all around.
    Legend I liked it, fun little film but I was shocked that Scott made such a film. It really didn't fit the style I had seen from him before. But I have to say Cruise was a bit wooden in the early parts of his career.
    Somebody to Watch Over Me Didn't really care about this film, IMO a very minor film in Scott's resume. Berenger was cool but the story left me cold. The main woman however was very eye candy.
    Black Rain Epic film! I didn't know what t expect, but it was great! Michael Douglas was a proper badass during the whole film, and the japanese policeman working with him was so likeable. This is really a film I'll have a pleasure rewaching.
    Started to rewatch/discover for the first time the Ridley Scott films in order.
    Blade Runner This is one of my favorite films. Everything about it is perfect, from the music, special effect, story and acting. Harrison Ford really is THE man. Absolutly perfect film all around.
    Man…or Replicant?
    "FURY" starring Brad Pitt and Shia laBeouf in command of a Sherman tank in WW2 in a fictional story set in 1945.

Found it quite engrossing with effects just as good as "Saving Private Ryan". Also was an eye opener with regards to the cramped conditions that a tank crew endure.
    THE AMERICAN

Very stylish, but unfortunately also very boring.
    edited March 2015 Posts: 15,694
    Thelma and Louise Very good film, the 2 leading actresses were great. The supporting cast was interesting too, Pitt was already an actor to look out for in his younger days. I always enjoy road movies so this was no exception.
    1492 Conquest of Paradise There it is @DarthDimi ;) The films was ok, nowhere near as good as Scott's other historical epics like Gladiator. I am a fan of Depardieu so I enjoyed him, and the soudtrack was amazing. Not sure if I'd want to rewatch this film, however.
    White Squall Another minor, IMO, film on Scott's resume. I found most of the young actors quite wooden, only Jeff Bridges was epic as always. Story was interesting and the era it was set in, but it didn't have the oomph of the better Scott films.
    G.I. Jane I don't know what went through the minds of everyone involved, but it looks very, very cheap. The last battle with the cameras moving and zooming all over the place gave me a headach and the film in parts looked more like a tv movie than made for the big screen. Demi Moore was OK but I was never a big fan of her.
    "The Hunter" 2011 starring Willem Dafoe and Sam Neill.

Not what I expected but a pretty interesting story.