Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

Underworld: evolution with lovely Kate Beckinsale again as Selene, and no cuddly and shiny vampires around.
  • SaintMark wrote: »
    Underworld: evolution with lovely Kate Beckinsale again as Selene, and no cuddly and shiny vampires around.

In process of revisiting the films on DVD, was wondering if the was a Bluray box set. Like first three films, the fourth movie only seen once remember being a bit disappointed with it.

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Gangs of New York The film starts great, then about an hour everything almost stops, it really drags and then picks up at the epic battle in the end. Dicaprio was good but overshadowed by the other actors, including the majestic Daniel Day-Lewis. Cameron Diaz however was very irritating. The look of the film is interesting and it has some very good scenes (the boxing match at the docks, the opening and closing battles).

Catch Me if You Can Great film, one of my favorites. Dicaprio and Hanks are awesome in this, the story is wonderful and the film just goes by at 300mph. Love the bit with Goldfinger. :D

The Aviator Much better collaboration between Dicaprio and Scorsese. The sets, look and feel of the film is epic, who wouldn't want to visit that Coconut Club? The ladies are gorgeous in this and Dicaprio gives one of his best performances. Great cast too - Baldwin, Jude Law, Dafoe, Holm. And the sequence of the senate hearing is brilliant.

The Departed I haven't seen the original Hong Kong trilogy, but I love this film, Dicaprio is really growing up into a badass actor. Lots of violence and epic scenes here, Damon and Nicholson were awesome, and so were the supporting cast - Baldwin, Whalberg and Sheen. Some of the lines (mostly insults) had me rolling on the floor laughing. Great soundtrack too. The end sequence where the characters are dropping like flies is just amazing.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    @DaltonCraig007

Catch Me If You Can is a great movie. John Williams' jazzy soundtrack is great.

It's interesting watching DiCaprio films in order. The older he gets, the better his acting gets. Nowadays hes one pretty damn fine actor.
  • edited February 2015 Posts: 2,081
    Gangs of New York The film starts great, then about an hour everything almost stops, it really drags and then picks up at the epic battle in the end. Dicaprio was good but overshadowed by the other actors, including the majestic Daniel Day-Lewis. Cameron Diaz however was very irritating.
    Isn't she always? Though I admit I didn't even remember she was in this.
    Mallory wrote: »
    @DaltonCraig007

It's interesting watching DiCaprio films in order. The older he gets, the better his acting gets. Nowadays hes one pretty damn fine actor.
    I must say I don't quite agree... He was fantastic in Gilbert Grape. :)
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    DiCapro is so much better than DeNiro now though, far less talented is a little unkind.

We'll see if Leo becomes a joke like DeNiro has done these days in his latter years, to think the rubbish pay cheque Bobby turns up in these days, nearly as bad as Jackson and Freeman.

Agreed Marty was on fire in that period and the films of the later period don't compare, I don't like Gangs at all but Aviator onwards for me are really good films, not classics.

Marty seems to want to have a little fun, Shutter Island got allot of flack but I think he wanted to make that type of film, he's made some of the greatest motion pictures of all time I'm not going to begrudge him the like of SI and The Departed. Not sure about Hugo though but Wolf of Wall Street was the best film he's made in decades and Leo is utterly on fire in this.

DiCaprio is getting better as he gets older and WOWS is easily his finest performance to date, no he's not delivered anything like Vito Jnr , Bickle, La Motta or Jimmy Conway but we'll see if Leo is turning up in crap like Meet The Fockers when he reaches DeNiro's age and reevaluate if he's far less talented then.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    @Birdleson I love both the Scorsese-DeNiro movies and the Scorsese-Dicaprio films. :)
    Blood Diamond One of my favorite movies, Dicaprio and Hounson have great chemistry, the locations and soundtrack are epic, maybe the story is a bit cliche but it doesn't stop me from enjoying this epic journey for 2 hours.

Revolutionary Road First time I rewatch it since seeing it in the cinema, real powerhouse acting by Dicaprio, Winslet and Shannon. The story and feel of the film made me think of Mad Men. Very tough film to watch, the plot is sad and depressing, but still a good film.

Body of Lies Awesome film, Dicaprio is badass, Crowe does nothing but talk in his headset but always a pleasure to see him in movies. The film is a bit cliche but it's still pretty epic. It's a bit of Homeland (the tv show) before it started. Not the best Ridley Scot by a long shot but quite enjoyable nonetheless.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    <font color=#003300>DD's Kevin Smith Movie Retrospective</font>
    <font color=#334455 size=5><b>01</b>Clerks (1994)</font>
    1356828078_Clerks-616057646-large.jpg

Introduction: Who the hell is Kevin Smith?
    You either like Kevin Smith or you don't. He's not exactly up there with the Spielbergs, Finchers, Hitchcocks... and he himself admits as much. Yet by now he's made ten movies in two decades, written several excellent comic book series (including some great series in both Marvel's Daredevil and DC's Batman universe) and hosted several extremely popular Q&A sessions in Canadian, American and British universities. He owns a big comic book store in New Jersey and hosts a funny podcast which has actually been a source of inspiration for his most recent film. And then there's the fact of Kevin being "too fat for forty", a loving husband and father and a bit of a stoner. And he'll forever be known as "the Clerks guy"...

Clerks
    Kevin Smith attended film school for a very short while before he and his friend Scott Mosier grabbed a miserable $28 000 to produce their first feature: Clerks. But Kevin was lucky for two reasons: A) he's very good with words, B) in 1994, films with people just talking and talking and talking had a good chance of being popular. Concerning the latter fact, let's remember that in those days, Tarantino had made Reservoir Dogs and was in the process of making Pulp Fiction and Linklater was about to release Before Sunrise. We were okay with people pretty much just talking on and on. The low budget thing wasn't a problem either, given the success of Rodriguez' El Mariachi in 1992.

Clerks was like that: people talk, in black-and-white, and not much else happens. Dante (Brian O'Halloran) and Randal (Jeff Anderson) own a convenience store. Dante has a troubled love life, Randal behaves like an irresponsible jerk, even in front of the costumers who, for that reason, usually never return. Two notable exceptions exist: sex obsessed stoners Jay (Jason Mewes) and Silent Bob (Smith himself). We follow the lives of these people during a few days of their lives.

Granted, it doesn't sound like much, but Smith has a way with dialogue. He doesn't mind some dirty talk, nor does he mind a lot of dirty talk. And his characters do and say things that either intentionally or not can make you laugh. In retrospect, it also helps that Clerks isn't the only movie in Smith's so-called View Askewniverse. Half his films take place in this fictional universe, with both New Jersey and the characters of Jay and Silent Bob as its most profound constants.

I will admit that my earlier comparisons to Tarantino and Linklater may set your hopes for a great film too high. Smith is no Tarantino or Linklater. His camera is lazy, there's a lot of overacting, the editing is a little rough at times and the story is... well, there's basically no story at all in this movie. Ironically though, while Smith's skills as a filmmaker will improve over the years, Clerks is still one of his most beloved movies. (7.9 on imdb) The comedy works best in a time capsule but still, it works. The characters, even Jay and Silent Bob who, technically speaking, aren't characters at all, are amusing enough - there's a Clerks II with this cast! - to make their 'adventures' compulsively watchable. And perhaps because the whole thing looks so amateurish, it's kind of fun in an early 90s kind of way.

In my personal opinion, Clerks isn't Smith's best film. I get the appeal, I know what we, kids, had on our minds in the early 90, but I have a hard time liking Dante and Randal, and that's a problem. Dante seems to be making up excuses for everything he fails to do or notice and Randal is a jerk and that's it. Our two lead characters are people I tend to dislike in real life. But hey, Clerks is not a bad place to start for someone with hardly any film training and barely a penny to spend.

The verdict

Clerks (1994): 7/10
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    2002. A wacky dramedy about ghost hunters from Hong Kong. So much fun, so little sense. :D
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    SILENCE OF THE LAMBS
    This is a sick and disturbing film.
    @Thunderfinger, but do you like the film? ;-)
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited February 2015 Posts: 4,450
    12 Feb: QOS (2008) 6.0/10 (- 0.5 extra for not showing the gunbarrel again..) 4th time i have seen movie on tv and this be first screening on this channel. They showing the barrel with Skyfall, so my expections there doing this with QOS too. But no there did not but showing same version as 2011 when also the Sony logo not include.
    14 Feb: Tower Heist (2011) 6.5/10 I expect a bit more from it for movie, oke it whas better then my first view of Ocean's 11.
    16 Feb: G.I. Joe: Retaliation (2013) 7.0 Wolverine be made to dramatic and low pacing, but this one missing a litle bit of drama. I think inspecialy missing because of overall new Joe members and not wil break out. If the 3th movie wil break out this movie will even been better. But it realy be case to get back members from this movie and some missing from first. But atlast it have pacing thansk to more better/intresting actors and that it not have to much of training scene's as fuller like Elektra.
    Mr Nice from 2011 starring Rhys Ifans as drug smuggler Howard Marks. What a very interesting story but odd to watch! :-/
  • edited February 2015 Posts: 4,813
    The_Wild_Geese_(1978_film)_poster.jpg

The Wild Geese (1978)
    I admit I only started watching because I saw Roger Moore listed in the cast, but oddly enough, he ended up not being my favorite character! Richard Burton and Richard Harris owned this movie. This was a great movie and all the characters were awesome- it really says something for the characters when you have so many and you still feel it when one of them gets killed. I particularly liked Sandy, the Drill Instructor- 'NOW-- let's get to work on our first heart attack shall we!!!!'
    Roger Moore was 'number 3' in this group and even though I love the guy, he pretty much played James Bond here. You could simply pretend that this mercenary movie was a crossover film that actually hired James Bond to be on their team! This is the same cigar smoking, quip dropping Moore right off the set of LALD, TMWTGG and TSWLM- albeit more badass (particularly when he forces a drug dealer to EAT his bad heroin at gunpoint)
    But it's still one of the greats-- it's 'The Expendables' of the 70's, lol

* a bit that I noticed: Moore's Bond never used a suppressor on his weapon, but here he finally gets to!
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Double Indemnity (1944) classic film noir! and a film that is copied to this day.
    For the first time I've watched the Death Wish franchise!

DW1: Very good, Bronson is a true badass, a bit slow in the middle but many epic kills.
    DW2: Liked this one more, he doesn't just shoot this time, he has fist fights too.
    DW3: My favorite, the bodycount is sky high, the final battle is just awesome.
    DW4: My least favorite, Bronson is still good but the movie didn't really blew my mind.
    DW5: Good one, some of the kills here are just pure badass (the explosive football was epic), but the plot was not very interesting.
  • edited February 2015 Posts: 4,813
    I love the Death Wish series too-- I only wish that instead of the weak 4 & 5, they instead did a 'crossover' in the mid 80's: A Dirty Harry movie with Paul Kersey as the 'villain' ...
    It could have been so awesome Detective Callahan was assigned to handle the execution style killings that have recently started happening in San Francisco, only when he catches up with him, he finds he doesn't want to bring him in!
    Unfortunately the Dirty Harry movies already touched on vigilantism in Magnum Force & Sudden Impact, but still, seeing Eastwood & Bronson going head to head would have been epic!! @Murdock, you'd have to be on board with that one!
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    @Thunderfinger, but do you like the film? ;-)
    I used to love it, this time i just found it depressing. It is well made, and Hopkins is magnificent, but I have gotten more and more sensitive lately.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited February 2015 Posts: 4,043
    Whiplash 2014

An exhilarating and exhausting experience. From the moment this starts the tension is palpable and it doesn't really let up to it's astounding climax. Miles Teller is exceptional as Andrew Neyman a first year who makes into notoriously strict music instructor Terence Fletcher's (a monstrous (JK Simmons ) Jazz ensemble. Neyman is pushed to the limit by Fletcher's terrifying methods and the experience will change his life forever.

Simmons Fletcher recalls R Lee Emery's sadistic drill Sergeant from Full Metal Jacket or Louis Gossett Jnr's Oscar winning turn in Officer and a Gentlemen but despite these obvious references, the genre that Whiplash most resembles is the boxing film, most notably Raging Bull. Neyman's bloodied hands as pushes his practicing beyond obsession trying get to the place that Fletcher requires,watch as he bathes his bloodied and bruised hands in ice cold water, the parallels obvious

Teller and Simmons are utterly electrifying and the accompanying music is terrific, as tense and exciting as the best action thriller. This is an exceptional debut from director and writer Damian Chazelle, a semi biographical tale, marking out a truly new original talent, suitably accompanied by some excellent cinematography by Sharone Meir.

Whiplash has been acclaimed and hyped but believe it, this film is worth every minute of your time, you won't be disappointed!

* * * * * / * * * * *
  • Mi6LisbonBranchMi6LisbonBranch Lisbon, Portugal
    (not considering AVTAK) Saw American Sniper last night.

I've been reading a lot of different opinions rearding this movie, all mainly due to political antagonist positions. But having that "political agenda" aside, i think it is fair to say it is a very decent movie, with nice pacing (never getting boring nor to "fast paced"), with great acting (both Bradley Cooper and Sienna Miller surprised me, positively) and the script is solid and well built (although i dont really know how much of it is based is reality and what's fiction).
    It has a very tense climatic "Tour 4" in Iraque and a shocking finale (that i confess wasnt expecting because i didint know the story the film was based on).
    Overall a solid movie, but not Oscar Winning material, in my opinion.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    For the first time I've watched the Death Wish franchise!

DW1: Very good, Bronson is a true badass, a bit slow in the middle but many epic kills.
    DW2: Liked this one more, he doesn't just shoot this time, he has fist fights too.
    DW3: My favorite, the bodycount is sky high, the final battle is just awesome.
    DW4: My least favorite, Bronson is still good but the movie didn't really blew my mind.
    DW5: Good one, some of the kills here are just pure badass (the explosive football was epic), but the plot was not very interesting.

Your views on the Series Match mine. :)

@Master_Dahark, I agree that would be a cool.

Dirty Harry: Death Force. ;)
    @Birdleson while not one of my favourite movies, i find Tokyo Story to be one of the best movies ever made
    edited February 2015 Posts: 17,691
    We just finished Ladyhawke. ;;)
    What can I say? Medieval France to mid-eighties dance music.
    Still, lots of fun. Philippe Gaston's Day Off. :))
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    chrisisall wrote: »
    We just finished Ladyhawke. ;;)
    What can I say? Medieval France to mid-eighties dance music.
    Still, lots of fun. Philippe Gaston's Day Off. :))

It does have one of the all time worst scores. It is a fun movie; it's a shame that it can't be re-scored.

Watched Burton's Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street earlier; pretty much his last great film in my opinion (have not seen Big Eyes yet). Great performances by everyone, and just a treat from start to finish.
    edited February 2015 Posts: 17,691
    Lucy.
    What a cool mind-f**k.
    Unexpected if somewhat illogical brilliance. 2001 was there first, but good for the new age.
    Highly recommended.
    Some will simply hate it, others will love it, I don't see many being in between.
    I loved it.
  • edited February 2015 Posts: 2,081
    The Imitation Game
    This was entertaining, interesting, educational, fun, serious and emotional. Well paced, directed, edited and acted. A very good night at the movies. Warmly recommended.

When asked about a detail in a scene in Out Of the Furnace, Casey Affleck somehow managed to incorporate Ratatouille in his amazing answer that was hilarious (as was Bale's effort to keep his giggles silent), revealing and touching - and in the end became just about as big a compliment as one can give a colleague. I remembered the Ratatouille scene Casey was so vividly talking about, and it made me want to re-watch the movie. Had a lot of laugh out loud fun again. Such a brilliant, brilliant animated film, to me absolutely one of the very best ever. Beautifully done, full of rich details, great story, colorful characters, never drags, and those rats were just awesome. :D

k_XvWP.gif
    edited February 2015 Posts: 45,489
    Ratatouille is amazing.

Anyway. THE KID STAYS IN THE PICTURE (2002)
    This movie contains mostly stills and some scenes from other movies and sets. It is narrated by Paramount producer Bob Evans, and is the story of his entire career.

Some wonderful anecdotes from the making of Rosemary s Baby, Chinatown, The Godfather and what have you. Very good, surprisingly original.
    @Thunderfinger, fair enough on the Silence/Lambs bit, sir. :)