Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• edited February 2015 Posts: 1,310
    Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith

Or at least the final 2/3 of it. I admittedly skipped the crap opening sequence, but I overall found this to be a far more competent production than Phantom Menace. The sequence of the Jedi being killed is actually quite sad (not so big on Anakin being a child murderer - something doesn't seem right about that). Lousy dialog, silly motivations and questionable actions are all still here, however. Acting is a bit all over the place. I will say the brief exchange between Obi-Wan and Anakin after their VERY long lightsaber fight is probably one of the strongest moments of the film. Darth Vader's "Nooooo" on the other hand....well....yeah.

Best of the prequels, but still not as good as 4-6. Not a TOTAL embarrassment, but just think what it could have been if Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones were better.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    SJK91 wrote: »
    I will say the brief exchange between Obi-Wan and Anakin after their VERY long lightsaber fight is probably one of the strongest moments of the film.
    Yeah, but it's a lot to swim through for that. Still, I guess fans have to take a look.

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY

What a great film. If you are 8 years old.
    Dumb and dumber 2 (4/10)
    Meh, had some grin moments, but nothing really funny + it was kinda boring

Birdman (8/10)
    Nicely directed and very different from other movies
  • Gone Girl = great film
    Rat Race = one of the funniest films ever made.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    Thuesday: Rewatch of G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra (2009) 7.0
    Yesterday: Contraband (2012) 6.0
  • edited February 2015 Posts: 6,432
    Blood on Satan's Claw.
    Star Trek into Darkness.
    Whiteout.

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited February 2015 Posts: 23,569
    The Abominable Dr. Phibes (1971)

the-abominable-dr-phibes-12.jpg

Oh my, what a delicious movie this is! Here's why:
    <ol>
    <li>Vincent Price is spectacularly amusing as Dr. Phibes. He dons the best make-up since Karloff's Frankenstein monster, his unique voice is used to perfection and every facial expression of his is priceless (pun very much intended).

<li>The Abominable Dr. Phibes is a beautiful film. The sets, the colours, the camera work and editing all contribute to a surreal adventure.

<li>Saw totally ripped this off. ;-) Dr. Phibes performs these remarkably strange executions, each crazier than the other. But that's where most of the fun in this movie is.
    </ol>

The Abominable Dr. Phibes is a greatly entertaining film. Every moment I'm in this bizarre world, I'm having tons of fun!
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY

What a great film. If you are 8 years old.

Sorry you feel that way. I'm in my mid twenties and I really enjoyed the film.

I'm in my 30s and I love that film too.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    I'm 23 and I loved it too. :D
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    :)) I'm 50 and loved it.
    Stop lying, @DaltonCraig007. We all know you're 103.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Stop lying, @DaltonCraig007. We all know you're 103.

My cover is blown. :(
  • I am immortal and I loved Guardians ;))

RoboCop remake, this film is incredibly dull I can't believe I wasted money on this. :-q
    Saw it in the theatre as a kid. The sequel as well. They're classics.
    The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Fincher version), good film, not sure if I understood it all, a proper grown up thriller. The role of a journo out of his depth is similar to The Ghost but DC handled it much better IMHO
    Birdleson wrote: »
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Saw it in the theatre as a kid. The sequel as well. They're classics.

I agree. Saw them a lot as a kid, and again recently. Absolutely great stuff. The last 4 minutes of RETURN are among my favorite in cinema.
    Over the rainbow... that was awesome. A fitting & excellent end.
    I get goosebumps remembering it.
  • The Town that Dreaded Sundown (2014)

the-town-that-dreaded-sundown-2014-movie-torrent.jpg?w=202&h=300

I came across this on Netflix having never heard of it. I REALLY loved the tone and music of this film!! It was creepy and the 'town legend' vibe was perfectly executed. This is actually a sort of sequel/ remake of a 1976 movie of the same name, which in itself was loosely based off actual events! In the 40's a masked man known as The Phantom Killer really did kill people and was never caught.
    In this movie, the 1976 version is featured annually in the town (because it's supposed to be 100% true here) and the Phantom Killer mysteriously shows up again, despite the original events taking place back in the 40's. There's actually some genuine mystery as to who the killer is. Definitely a unique set up for a horror movie!

I admit I groaned when Anthony Anderson popped up but he actually played it straight and, oh my god, acted!! If I had one complaint about the whole movie, it was the fact that the ending felt very 'Scream'-like. That whole 'I'm crazy and this is why' speech took me out of it a bit. But as a whole, I loved it! I think I may check out the original if I can find it. Supposedly that one has more of a documentary tone than an actual movie.

On an added note, throughout the whole movie I kept thinking the main actress looked awfully familiar, and when the movie was over I looked her up and was greeted by a surprise!
    Addison Timlin, who I recently saw way naked on Californication!
    To quote the great Roger Moore, 'l didn't recognize you with your clothes on!' =))
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    The Amazing Spider-Man 2
    I bought and watched this last night. I was rather disappointed when I saw this in theaters but I still liked it for what it was. It was much better the second time around! Looking forward to the third entry... if it ever gets made.
    Westworld on Blu ray.
    Just WOW. Before Jurassic Park & Terminator THIS was ultimate cool in survival.
    And the be-all-end-all of first-person shooter games. :))
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Westworld on Blu ray.
    Just WOW. Before Jurassic Park & Terminator THIS was ultimate cool in survival.
    And the be-all-end-all of first-person shooter games. :))
    westworldbenjamin.jpg
    "John....this place is really FUN!!!"
    SJK91 wrote: »
    "John....this place is really FUN!!!"
    Yep!
  • edited February 2015 Posts: 2,081
    Henry V (1989), directed by Kenneth Branagh, starring mostly Kenneth Branagh, also Derek Jacobi, Ian Holm, Judi Dench, Emma Thompson, Christian Bale. Too... Shakespearean for me, hard for me to follow the text, and Branagh is just not interesting enough for that much screen time and that many speeches. There was that cute kid tho, so yeah... done my duty here.

Love And Other Drugs (2010), directed by Edward Zwick, starring Anne Hathaway and Jake Gyllenhaal - both of whom I like, and both were very good here. The movie is part comedy ... it took a while to realize that it was not quite a comedy after all, when the serious stuff started to appear and then it turned even more serious. A weird mix in some ways, but it kinda worked. I've seen it listed as "romantic comedy", but I definitely wouldn't call it that myself, it's more serious and more adult than that.

220px-Americanpsychoposter.jpg

American Psycho (2000)
    This time I was in the right mood for this. Cue: plenty of grinning. :D
    I'm so glad the people who did this did it, instead of the people who might have/had plans to...

220px-Brothersposter.jpg
    Watching a movie starring Natalie Portman so soon after watching the Berlinale red carpet, photo call and press conference for Knight Of Cups was, maybe, not very wise, but I didn't realize she was actually in Brothers before I started watching. Noticed very soon, obviously, and thought "oops... oh hello Natalie with very nice toes" *, :P but I got over that pretty soon, this being a serious and very well acted movie:

Brothers (2009), directed by Jim Sheridan, starring Tobey Maguire, Natalie Portman, Jake Gyllenhaal, Sam Shepard. A remake of a Danish film, which I haven't seen, so can't compare. The actors - including the two little kids, were all excellent... I have a hard time liking Mr Maguire, actually, but even he was good here.

---
    * For all I know I might be the only person on the whole forum who is even interested in Knight Of Cups, never mind interested enough to watch an hour or so of various film festival footage, so I may need to explain that comment. ;) (And I mean, I'm pretty-desperate-for-someone-to-take-my-money-already-and-let-me-watch-it-ASAP [-O< kind of interested. It's bad waiting for movies that are being made, and movies that haven't even started shooting yet, but geez, the movies that have been in the works for years and have finally even premiered... and you have no idea when you can see it, GAAAAH...) With some movies it really doesn't matter how much you "know" about it in advance, and this is one of those, so there has been no need to avoid reading and watching anything. Heck, I'd happily read the script. (There wasn't a script.)
    When I learned about toe sucking being featured I naturally wanted to know whose toes and mouth were involved. Inquiring minds and all that. Helpfully one journalist asked Christian in the press conference about Natalie's toes so that cleared that. And he said they were very nice. So there. :)
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    MACHETE
    Ridiculous, but very enjoyable. I need to see MACHETE KILLS.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    =D> Machete, is fantastic over the top fun. :))
    Westworld was way ahead of it's time, great film. They did very well considering how limited they were on special effects and love YB dressed in black as a tribute to Chris in the Mag Seven. Sci Fi at its best, entertaining and thought provoking at the same time...robot prostitutes....it will happen
    After watching Girl with the Dragon Tatoo, switched over and watched another Fincher movie "Panic Room", not his best IMHO and main role is miscast but FW is very good IMHO
  • Seven_Point_Six_FiveSeven_Point_Six_Five Southern California
    edited February 2015 Posts: 1,257
    patb wrote: »
    After watching Girl with the Dragon Tatoo, switched over and watched another Fincher movie "Panic Room", not his best IMHO and main role is miscast but FW is very good IMHO

Time to watch Seven
    Yes, his best film IMHO, just so much going on, I am overdue to see it again