Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    A Field In England

Another film I'd left sitting on the Sky Box for ages. Something interesting is that it actually had a simultaneous release, coming out on DVD, the cinema and being shown on telly at the same time.

Very weird, dark film. I was disappointed to be honest. Loved Kill List but I couldn't get into this.

There was stuff I liked, don't get me wrong. Good cinematography, good performances, interesting setting, some genuinely creepy moments and I liked the trip bits.

But overall I found it pretty boring, confusing and pretentious.

I know how you feel big fan of Wheatley since kill List and Sightseers was even better, plenty technically to like about AFIE but agreed on your thoughts entirely.

Amore 2013

A heartbreaking experience and the performances by Jean-Louis Trintignant, Emmanuelle Riva as the couple Georges & Anne are astounding. A man has to come to terms with his Wife's health deteriorating before him and the strength of his love for her is tested as the woman he knew begins to disappear.

Michael Haneke's film isn't the most pleasant experience and it has moments that don't shy away from portraying Anne's condition with a raw truthfulness but I recommend it thoroughly although I'm unlikely to need to see it again.

4/5
  • edited August 2013 Posts: 11,189
    Saw Amore a few weeks ago too @shardlake. Excellent film but ohhhh soo sad.

You come away from it thinking "bloody hell that was heavy".
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Saw Amore a few weeks ago too @shardlake. Excellent film but ohhhh soo sad.

You come away from it thinking "bloody hell that was heavy".

Pretty exhausting watch but this could potentially happen to anyone who knows what the future has in store for any of us. I've recently started a new job which involves me being instrumental with people seeking care for their relatives when they can't cope anymore so watching this was quite apt for me.
    Mask of the phantasm - Still think its the greatest Batman movie ever made. Moments in this film that are beyond epic.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Mask of the phantasm - Still think its the greatest Batman movie ever made. Moments in this film that are beyond epic.
    It was great no doubt, but Keaton's first still holds first place for me.
    chrisisall wrote:
    It was great no doubt, but Keaton's first still holds first place for me.

Phatasm for me has a emotionl resonance, bought Batman recently on Bluray and it blew me away, there are some exceptional moments in this movie.
    Olympus has fallen - Found myself totally bemused by this film, at times was questioning whether it was a comedy. There were a few unintentionally funny moments.
  • @Shardlake I haven't seen Sightseers yet, although I've heard nothing but good things about it so I am looking forward to it.

Kill List was brilliant, one of the best horror films I'd seen in years. It's one of those movies that sticks with you for a while after you first watch it.
    @Shardlake I haven't seen Sightseers yet, although I've heard nothing but good things about it so I am looking forward to it.

Kill List was brilliant, one of the best horror films I'd seen in years. It's one of those movies that sticks with you for a while after you first watch it.

Agreed I was most impressed by Kill List, Sightseers is brilliant, it does appear to be more lighthearted because of the comedy element but don't be fooled, Wheatley doesn't shy from the horror and the bleakness when it's required, the horror is never played for laughs, it is a seriously black comedy.

Steve Oram and Alice Lowe (Dalton's secretary in Hot Fuzz) are both utterly superb and I recommend it without a doubt.

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    We're The Millers

It's all in the trailer, folks. All the jokes I mean. See the entire film, and you will find little else to have fun with. Not as good as some made it out to be.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    DarthDimi wrote:
    We're The Millers

It's all in the trailer, folks. All the jokes I mean. See the entire film, and you will find little else to have fun with. Not as good as some made it out to be.

I thought it was enjoyable, and there was more to laugh at in different parts, but I do agree in that most of the big comedy and scenes are right in there in the trailer. No real surprises, except for that 'sex lesson' moment when they're all camping out in the RV. Hilarious.
    Shardlake wrote:
    A Field In England

Another film I'd left sitting on the Sky Box for ages. Something interesting is that it actually had a simultaneous release, coming out on DVD, the cinema and being shown on telly at the same time.

Very weird, dark film. I was disappointed to be honest. Loved Kill List but I couldn't get into this.

There was stuff I liked, don't get me wrong. Good cinematography, good performances, interesting setting, some genuinely creepy moments and I liked the trip bits.

But overall I found it pretty boring, confusing and pretentious.

I know how you feel big fan of Wheatley since kill List and Sightseers was even better, plenty technically to like about AFIE but agreed on your thoughts entirely.

Amore 2013

A heartbreaking experience and the performances by Jean-Louis Trintignant, Emmanuelle Riva as the couple Georges & Anne are astounding. A man has to come to terms with his Wife's health deteriorating before him and the strength of his love for her is tested as the woman he knew begins to disappear.

Michael Haneke's film isn't the most pleasant experience and it has moments that don't shy away from portraying Anne's condition with a raw truthfulness but I recommend it thoroughly although I'm unlikely to need to see it again.

4/5

I found A Field In England disappointing too. There were some interesting, haunting moments but overall the film was just dull. Hardly anything happened.

Thought I'd go and see 'Elysium' tonight? Has anyone seen it? Is it worth checking out?

@Bounine, I thought 'Elysium' was a massive let down. The editing made all of the action sequences unwatchable, and I found myself not really caring for any of the characters.
    Damn, I was hoping people would say that it was good! ;)

What was it about the editing you didn't like?

Why are the characters not worth caring about? Bad dialogue? Lack of character depth? Motives not adequately justified?

It was just such a fast cut to every punch, jump, kick, and shot - even the firefights had bad editing, which was surprising. I just think the film moves at such an awkward pace at times - characters suddenly make incredibly dramatic decisions quickly - that it made it hard for me to get to know or care about them.
    Hmmm, well thanks for that. Unfortunately, there's nothing much on in the cinema at the moment.
  • Watched Robocop today. Dark, but awesome. Some of the violence was really quite shocking, and I say that as a 19-year-old action lover.
    Bounine wrote:
    Hmmm, well thanks for that. Unfortunately, there's nothing much on in the cinema at the moment.

'You're Next' just came out, that looks like a pretty good horror movie. 'At World's End' is also out, if you like the Cornetto Trilogy. I'm not sure where you live, though, and what's out in your area.
    'At World's End' didn't look very good in the preview. I did enjoy the other two instalments though. 'Shaun of the Dead' is my favourite. Is AWE worth seeing? Or atleast worth seeing in the cinema? Is it very funny? 'You're Next' doesn't seem to be out yet but that's the kind of film I would love to see. Don't want to see 'Red 2' and 'Jobs' is the kind of film I would leave until it comes out on DVD weekly rental.
    Watched Robocop today. Dark, but awesome. Some of the violence was really quite shocking, and I say that as a 19-year-old action lover.

Robocop is a classic.

Bounine wrote:
    'At World's End' didn't look very good in the preview. I did enjoy the other two instalments though. 'Shaun of the Dead' is my favourite. Is AWE worth seeing? Or atleast worth seeing in the cinema? Is it very funny? 'You're Next' doesn't seem to be out yet but that's the kind of film I would love to see. Don't want to see 'Red 2' and 'Jobs' is the kind of film I would leave until it comes out on DVD weekly rental.

I'm not sure, I'm seeing 'At World's End' and 'You're Next' tomorrow. Not sure if your plans changed, but I can let you know what I thought of both when I return tomorrow!
    Yeah, do that. Cheers.
    001 wrote:
    Watched Robocop today. Dark, but awesome. Some of the violence was really quite shocking, and I say that as a 19-year-old action lover.

Robocop is a classic.
    "I'm not arresting you any more."
    Yeah, classic!
    Bounine wrote:

The World's End is fine, yes it's the weakest of the Cornetto Trilogy but still very entertaining, I've not seen You're Next but by all accounts it's been getting better than the average reports.
  • World's End is worth seeing and is still funny but it is the weakest of the three.
    edited August 2013 Posts: 23,602
    <center>DD's Stanley Kubrick retrospective</center>

<center><font size = 4>part 13</font></center>

<center><font color = darkblue size = 6>EYES WIDE SHUT (1999)</font></center>

<center>Tom-Cruise-and-Nicole-Kidman-in-Warner-Bros-drama-movie-Eyes-Wide-Shut-1999-92.jpg</center>

In the early 90s, Kubrick pursued a project that concerned the holocaust but when he learned about Spielberg's upcoming Schindler's List he quickly abandoned the idea. After all, he didn't need a repetition of Napoleon.

After a long search he ended up with Eyes Wide Shut and swiftly found then hot media couple Nicole Kidman - Tom Cruise willing to participate.

Eyes Wide Shut tells a story that, depending on how far the viewer is willing to take it, is either complex and multi-layered or about absolutely nothing. I must admit that I'm still not entirely sure about where I stand. I understand the idea of a man who's so upset after his wife's erotic confessions that he makes unusual decisions during a late night walk. Is he trying to take revenge? Is he trying to restore the balance? Is he trying to understand the mechanisms behind extramarital lusts? Or is Kubrick just trapping us in a whirlpool of coincidence and meaningless omens? I guess each viewer has to decide for himself.

Whatever the story is all about, Eyes Wide Shut is well shot. The desolate streets during the night evoke both feelings of pity and of danger. The colour blue is used whenever we visit the family on the brink of self-destruction, the colour red represents seduction and anger. Kubrick knew exactly what he was doing. There is something about the general mood of Eyes Wide Shut that I find very attractive. Even the orgy, which could have been extremely vulgar in the hands of pretty much anyone, was beautifully shot by Kubrick.

The acting is spot-on! Say what you want about Cruise, the man can act. It's not a big deal for me to imagine him in the part of Doctor Bill. And one can never argue with Nicole Kidman revealing more that she had ever done before. Other notable performances include those of Sydney Pollack, Rade Šerbedžija and Alan Cumming. The piano music by Jocelyn Pook brings a sense of fear and foreboding, much needed too since the images and story alone might not suffice.

I'm torn about Eyes Wide Shut. I tend to read a lot in it, perhaps more than I should, and I'm entertained by it, but perhaps primarily because I'm a Kubrick fan. I don't think it's as poor a film as some critics have tried to make us think, but neither do I think it's Kubrick's best. So here it is:

Final score: 7,5/10

A few days after completing the film, Kubrick died. Around that time, 17 year old me had ever so slightly begun to look into the man's resume. 2001 hadn't yet surfaced on my radar. If it had, I might have been heartbroken, but even with The Shining and Spartacus behind me, I felt sad. Not only is it painful to know that a kind person has died, and at far too young an age too, but it's also sad to lose such an artist. Who knows what A.I. would have looked like had Kubrick finished that film. Who knows what else he might have made, perhaps even his long overdue Napoleon...

I hold Stanley Kubrick in the highest esteem possible. He's my number one filmmaker. From his earlier work to his latter work, 13 films in total, Kubrick never once repeated himself, never once forgot to create new things, never once failed to reach out to me. His legacy lives on. And 2001: A Space Odyssey, a film (and book) that nearly provides religious experiences in my case, has cemented the man's genius in my fandom.

Thank you for all your films, Stanley.

600full-stanley-kubrick.jpg

DD's Stanley Kubrick retrospective score card:
    2001: A Space Odyssey: 11/10
    The Shining: 9,5/10
    Dr. Strangelove: 9,5/10
    A Clockwork Orange: 9/10
    Lolita: 9/10
    Paths Of Glory: 9/10
    Spartacus: 8,5/10
    The Killing: 8,5/10
    Full Metal Jacket: 8/10
    Barry Lyndon: 8/10
    Eyes Wide Shut: 7,5/10
    Killer's Kiss: 6,5/10
    Fear And Desire: 5/10

DD's Michael Mann retrospective score card:
    HEAT: 10/10
    The Insider: 9/10
    Thief: 9/10
    Collateral: 8,5/10
    Miami Vice: 8/10
    Manhunter: 8/10
    Public Enemies: 7,5/10
    Ali: 7/10
    The Last Of The Mohicans: 7/10
    The Keep: 5,5/10

DD's David Fincher retrospective score card:
    Seven: 9,5/10
    The Social Network: 9,5/10
    Zodiac: 8,5/10
    The Game: 8/10
    Panic Room: 8/10
    The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo: 8/10
    Alien³: 7,5/10
    The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button: 7,5/10
    Fight Club: 7/10
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Hats off to you for fishing your journey back through Kubrick's films, @Dimi. It was a joy to hear you talk about him and review his work with such eloquence, my good sir. In fact, your passion and care for his filmography as well as his enduring legacy is part of why I have started to jump into his films as well, so for that alone, I applaud your efforts. =D>
    Yes, it was fascinating & informative. And I agree with your pick for #1.
  • edited August 2013 Posts: 11,189
    The Expendables 2

Christ I feel dumb - even for someone who likes action movies. There are a couple of funny moments but after a while the constant gunfire and cheesey lines become annoying.

It's a bit better than Die Hard 5 though.

4.5/10
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 and @chrisisall, thanks for the kind words, gents. :-)