Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited August 2013 Posts: 40,514
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, actually, Gerard Butler was going to play Rapp in the novel-to-film adaptation of that, but something fell through and it never happened, so he got a second chance, of sorts, with 'Olympus Has Fallen.'
    Tinker tailor soldier spy - Appreciated the film though found it too deliberate in its pacing, was tired when i watched it.

Ghostbusters on Bluray - Recently bought it, one of the greatest comedy blockbusters me all time, remember watching it in the cinema as a kid. Bill Murray is on top form in this film.
    'Escape From LA'

I didn't find this film to be anywhere near as good as 'Escape From New York,' but after looking into it, a lot of people I've seen online have stated that it's one of Carpenter's most underrated films. I guess I'm missing what they loved so much. Weak cast (which is surprising for me, since I love Stacy Keach and Steve Buscemi) and plot, really bad effects (and this is saying something for 1996), and a lot of LA felt really forced in terms of signs and famous landmarks.

Now on to 'Spring Breakers.'
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Creasy47 wrote:
    'Escape From LA'
    I didn't find this film to be anywhere near as good as 'Escape From New York,'
    Just a super fun, total goof on American morals & culture- I love it for that even if it kind of pales in the face of the first awesome cult flick!
    'Spring Breakers'

Wow...why? What was the point of this film? James Franco was a sideshow unto himself, it was full of incredibly dull, nude women (which, don't get me wrong, I can't complain about, but it's like they picked the trashiest, ugliest of girls for this), and the film contained a repetitive slop of a plot that could be summed up in less than thirty seconds to save you over 90 minutes of your time. Totally pointless and off the wall.
  • edited August 2013 Posts: 1,817
    The Wolverine
    It was great at first but then went downhill for me. The first scene of Nagasaki wasn't like anything I've seen before and it shocked me for it's historical meaning. The premise of the anxiety of immortality was very powerful. But at the end it turned mostly into action. The villains were the lower point. The best for me was Yukio, Jackman's acting and the credits bonus scene. But at the end, all I wanted was to see You Only Live Twice!
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    Tinker tailor soldier spy - Appreciated the film though found it too deliberate in its pacing, was tired when i watched it.

Ghostbusters on Bluray - Recently bought it, one of the greatest comedy blockbusters me all time, remember watching it in the cinema as a kid. Bill Murray is on top form in this film.

Ghostbusters is great! How good does it look on BD @fire_and_ice? I wouldn't mind buying it if it's worth the extra money. I completely geeked out when I bumped into the original car at Sony Studios last June, managed to take a few photos, it's so perfect with all the machinery on the inside.
    0013 wrote:
    The Wolverine
    It was great at first but then went downhill for me. The first scene of Nagasaki wasn't like anything I've seen before and it shocked me for it's historical meaning. The premise of the anxiety of immortality was very powerful. But at the end it turned mostly into action. The villains were the lower point. The best for me was Yukio, Jackman's acting and the credits bonus scene. But at the end, all I wanted was to see You Only Live Twice!

I couldn't help but smile at the end of your review @0013. I have to admit it's a bit of a mixed bag, especially story wise but it was great fun. I left the cinema very satisfied, but then again anything X-men immediately transports me to some of the happiest times of my childhood/teenage years, when I was "slightly" obsessed with the animated series. I have to say, Jackman was one of the most inspired pieces of casting in Hollywood's history without a doubt.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    edited August 2013 Posts: 1,812
    Olympus Has Fallen 10/10

This was much better the second time around. I didn't realize until my second viewing but this movie parallels Die Hard.

Both have...
    1) A lone hero running around a building overrun by terrorists.
    2) The lone hero is in contact with good guys on the outside.
    3) One of the contacts is telling the hero to stop and let them handle it (the white guy), while another is defending the hero and encouraging him to keep going (the black guy).
    4) The hero meets a villain claiming to be a good guy but doesn't know it until minutes later.
    5) A special operations team tries to enter the building from the roof but fails and dies.
    6) The villains attempt to fake their death so they will not be pursued later but fail because of the hero.
    7) The hero is on bad terms with someone at the beginning of the film but then is back on good terms with them by the end because the hero saves them.
    Sandy wrote:

Ghostbusters is great! How good does it look on BD @fire_and_ice? I wouldn't mind buying it if it's worth the extra money. I completely geeked out when I bumped into the original car at Sony Studios last June, managed to take a few photos, it's so perfect with all the machinery on the inside.
    0013 wrote:
    The Wolverine

I couldn't help but smile at the end of your review @0013. I have to admit it's a bit of a mixed bag, especially story wise but it was great fun. I left the cinema very satisfied, but then again anything X-men immediately transports me to some of the happiest times of my childhood/teenage years, when I was "slightly" obsessed with the animated series. I have to say, Jackman was one of the most inspired pieces of casting in Hollywood's history without a doubt.

Wow love to see the original Ectomobile, it looks very good they have done a good restoration. There is the odd bit of grain, though don't mind grain now and again. Picked it up for £4. Not watched the extras yet, would definitely buy it.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    The car was out of storage because it was being shipped to Australia for an exhibition so I can say I was very lucky to have been able to see it. I will certainly try to get my hands on the BD, thanks for your short review, I don't mind grain either, it's part of the experience.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    "Who you gonna call?"
    That song STILL to this moment, immediately comes to mind.
    How I love Bill Murray and the gang in that one.
    @QsAssistant, I never put that many things in comparison between 'Olympus Has Fallen' and 'Die Hard.' Good eye, makes me appreciate the film some more.
  • edited August 2013 Posts: 12,837
    Kick Ass 2

Every bit as good as the first one. 9/10. Could've done with more Jim Carrey though, he stole every scene he was in and felt a bit underused in the end.
    Kick Ass 2

Every bit as good as the first one. 9/10. Could've done with more Jim Carrey though, he stole every scene he was in and felt a bit underused in the end.

That's how I figured the film would be: Carrey would steal every scene he was in. He looks fantastic in it, shame he regrets doing it now. I'm looking forward to getting a chance to see the movie next week.
    The Artist, 2011 Academy Award Winner for Best Picture, Best Director and Best Actor.

A suprisingly entertaining movie. It's a silent film, but still pretty noisy. The actors more than compensate by carrying the story along with their superb performances, despite no voices, and of course the Oscar winning score enhances every scene,
    The movie works as an epic music piece, comedy and old-time Hollywood love story.
    Highly recommended. Crank up the sound as the music is as much a character as the actors.
    And don't even get me started on the super cute little dog, which follows the lead everywhere he goes. Great stuff.

Uggie, the star of the film, mugging on the red carpet.
    The-Artist-Dog-uggie-chillin.jpg
  • edited August 2013 Posts: 12,837
    Caught a bit of The Dark Knight Rises on TV just and I noticed something.

If Bane is only waiting to detonate the bomb so Batman can see how f***ed up Gotham becomes then why didn't him and Liam Neesons daughter just blow up the city when Batman came back? Not only did he spray paint his logo for the whole city to see, but Talia actually met him. She was well aware that he was back and planning to stop them so why didn't she just detonate the bomb then? What do they gain by waiting an extra day?

This is a good film but the story is full of plot holes.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Kick Ass 2

That's how I figured the film would be: Carrey would steal every scene he was in. He looks fantastic in it, shame he regrets doing it now. I'm looking forward to getting a chance to see the movie next week.

I'm surprised at the bad reviews it's getting. I thought it was a very entertaining sequel with lots of cool new characters even if it had lost it's shock value. Some great action scenes too.
    @thelivingroyale, avoiding a terrible pun, the film honestly looks like some kick ass fun. I look forward to watching it.

And yeah, I can agree on the numerous plot holes of 'The Dark Knight Rises.'
    Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows (2011)
    I enjoyed this.Downey is great in this film.Great actor. 10/10
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    001 wrote:
    Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows (2011)
    I enjoyed this.Downey is great in this film.Great actor. 10/10
    Agreed, this was an enjoyable effort, even more so than the previous one. The actor portraying Moriarty was fantastic. Ritchie is a fine director IMO.
    Sandy wrote:
    0013 wrote:
    The Wolverine

I want to see it another time, and watch it as it is and not as I was expecting to be. Maybe I'll appreciate it more.
    'Halloween' (Rob Zombie remake)

I haven't seen it since it was in theaters, but it was only a few dollars on blu-ray, so I scooped it up. It most certainly isn't as good as I recalled it being, but it's most certainly a lot gorier, but less on scares. What really got me about the original was the innocence (and wonderful casting of Jamie Lee Curtis), and the fact that Michael Myers constantly stalked her and her friends throughout. Just seeing him lurk in the background was beyond eerie. I don't care for the cast in this one too much, and the fact that they focus too heavily on Michael's early years leaves no room for better character development when Laurie and her friends come into play. They're quickly introduced, and boom, the killing's begin to happen.

It's not a terrible remake - and I would've preferred the alternate ending - that manages to shake things up a bit and leave you surprised at a few parts if you're a die-hard fan of the original and think you know what to expect, but it isn't the best of horror films.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    The Bourne Legacy

Oh my. This felt like a rather unnecessary addition to the franchise just as I'd expected. Rachel Weisz was the highlight of the film for me and kept it from being a complete waste of time. There wasn't much in the way of originality taking place here and I hope they just stop at this point. They're not going to make another one of these are they?

Too add insult to injury I told my dad that it's just not the same without Matt Damon and he replied that that's how he felt when Roger Moore started doing the Bond movies.
  • LicencedToKilt69007LicencedToKilt69007 Belgium, Wallonia
    "Zero Dark Thirty"

A great and deep investigation and man hunting about Bin Laden's closest circle. Powerful and respected part of the world's history. I highly recommend it. The film deserves the credit given (5 oscars nominations)

8,5/10
    Just watched Dredd. I didn't know what to expect with this but I didn't dredd it (do ya get it? oh why bother...). Saying it is infinitely better than the crappy Stallone effort isn't saying much and whilst it's plot is pretty much ripped from The Raid Redemption, it's a really enjoyable 95 minutes.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Just watched Dredd. I didn't know what to expect with this but I didn't dredd it (do ya get it? oh why bother...). Saying it is infinitely better than the crappy Stallone effort isn't saying much and whilst it's plot is pretty much ripped from The Raid Redemption, it's a really enjoyable 95 minutes.

Glad you liked that film, @WillyGalore. I must say I was rather pleased. Having read a few Dredd comics, I can honestly say that the film stays fairly close to some of those. Certain visuals work really well, like the slo-mo effects when Ma Ma splashes the water in her bath-tub. This isn't worthy of an Oscar, but it's definitely a film I can easily digest. ;-)

DarthDimi wrote:

Glad you liked that film, @WillyGalore. I must say I was rather pleased. Having read a few Dredd comics, I can honestly say that the film stays fairly close to some of those. Certain visuals work really well, like the slo-mo effects when Ma Ma splashes the water in her bath-tub. This isn't worthy of an Oscar, but it's definitely a film I can easily digest. ;-)

And at least in this film, Dredd keeps his bloody helmet on!

It deserved to make money at the box office but I guess because it looked low budget, it put people off from going to see it. Glad it's getting a better outing on DVD/Blu-Ray though :-)
  • The fact that Grown Ups has a sequel while Dredd will probably never get one pisses me off so much.
    whilst it's plot is pretty much ripped from The Raid Redemption

To be fair Dredd was written before The Raid. It's just unfortunate that those films were released so close to eachother. I loved both.

Dredd was a great film that the character deserved while The Raid was my 2012 film of the year.
    whilst it's plot is pretty much ripped from The Raid Redemption

To be fair Dredd was written before The Raid. It's just unfortunate that those films were released so close to eachother. I loved both.

Ah didn't realise that. Dredd gets even more kudos points off me in that case :-)
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    I kind of enjoyed Dredd when I saw it but like TLR The Raid was one of my films of 2012 and I felt utterly exhilarated by it. To see at the cinema was an experience I was exhausted by the end it's pace is electrifying and the fight sequences incredible, can't wait for it's follow up Berandel next year which is going to be more epic and different type of film, maybe one of the films of 2014?
  • edited August 2013 Posts: 11,189
    I also liked Dredd when I watched it. Some of the 3D drug effects felt a bit gimmicky but overall I too thought it was a lot more sophisticated than the Sly version.