What do you want from Billie Eilish's NTTD's title song?

Comments

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Shardlake wrote:
    doubleoego wrote:
    Kerim wrote:
    It wouldn't have been too bad if it was just him. The riffs to AWTD were actually pretty good. Unlike LALD, the sudden shifts in tempo just didn't work. The song should not have been a duet.

White should have left the vocals and lyrics to someone else. The instrumental is fine though but out of the 2 singers on the track, White was the weak link.

I'll admit it's the worst thing he's done and aren't we forgetting the time scale this was written in after all that faffing about with Winehouse.

White is one of the most talented rock stars on the planet so no he wasn't the weak link, Keyes should have been jettisoned, plenty of songs in Jack's repertoire showed he was more than capable of delivering the good.

AWTD is nowhere as bad as DAD or TND, talk about naff.

I disagree with you on that one. White is talented but Keyes is a far better vocalist and song writer for that matter than White is. Like I said, he should have just stuck to producing the instrumental as opposed to the actual song. The lyrics were awful and White's singing was noticeably worse than Keyes' when she herself wasn't wailing her harmonising.

• WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    AWD is just a mess and a bunch of noises. It's not music at all.

TND and DAD, on the other hand, are good songs. I find TND really good, and works perfectly as the title song of the movie. Surrender is much better, but it fits the ending titles, rather than the opening titles. Switching them would not work.

DAD is really catchy, despite the silly lyrics. The song should have been used as atmosphere music in the Ice Hotel only, not as the opening song, which should have been composed by Arnold and should be much more dramatic, fitting the tortures Bond receives during the opening titles.
    No artist should do more than one Bond theme in a row (I don't even agree with more than one ever, to be perfectly honest).
  • LicencedToKilt69007LicencedToKilt69007 Belgium, Wallonia
    No artist should do more than one Bond theme in a row (I don't even agree with more than one ever, to be perfectly honest).

Totally agree with you !
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited March 2014 Posts: 4,043
    doubleoego wrote:
    Shardlake wrote:
    doubleoego wrote:
    Kerim wrote:
    It wouldn't have been too bad if it was just him. The riffs to AWTD were actually pretty good. Unlike LALD, the sudden shifts in tempo just didn't work. The song should not habove been a duet.

White should have left the vocals and lyrics to someone else. The instrumental is fine though but out of the 2 singers on the track, White was the weak link.

I'll admit it's the worst thing he's done and aren't we forgetting the time scale this was written in after all that faffing about with Winehouse.

White is one of the most talented rock stars on the planet so no he wasn't the weak link, Keyes should have been jettisoned, plenty of songs in Jack's repertoire showed he was more than capable of delivering the good.

I disagree with you on that one. White is talented but Keyes is a far better vocalist and song writer for that matter than White is. Like I said, he should have just stuck to producing the instrumental as opposed to the actual song. The lyrics were awful and White's singing was noticeably worse than Keyes' when she herself wasn't wailing her harmon

Absolute bollocks, Keyes a better song writer than Jack White? Keyes needs all sorts of producers and collaborators to put a song together White does it all himself, White's talent dwarfs Alicia Keyes and I'm sure she'd acknowledge it herself.

The Song isn't great but White's wrote far better, are you even aware who Jack White is and what he has actually has wrote and been responsible for?

The White Stripes
    The Raconteurs
    The Dead Weather

Been involved with countless collaborations and as I said if he's been given the right amount of time to come up with something instead of a last minute replacement expected to come up with the goods it would have been a much different story.

Keyes is a talented R'N'B singer who's been responsible for a few good songs, Jack White is one of the most talented musicians, song writers and producers of the last 20 years.

As for TND, any song with the lyric "I'm in a puddle on the floor" seriously?

Dreary toss just like that Garbage one for TWINE.

I agree. I like having a new artist each time because it keeps things fresh and I enjoy speculating about who's doing the next theme. If they're good enough, I wouldn't mind someone returning a few years down the line but I don't think anyone should do more than one theme in a row.
    Shardlake wrote:

TND was a poor effort (why they chose that over Surrender I'll never understand) but I think TWINE has one of the best themes of the series. Certainly the best of the Brosnan films.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited March 2014 Posts: 13,879
    Shardlake wrote:
    Perhaps that was Sheryl Crow's own contribution to the song after having met Pierce. 8->

Agreed about Jack White. Superb writer, very talented dude. In fact, I just replayed Elephant from end to end last night, and every song is as purely awesome as I remember it.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    edited March 2014 Posts: 11,139
    Shardlake wrote:
    doubleoego wrote:
    Shardlake wrote:
    doubleoego wrote:
    Kerim wrote:
    It wouldn't have been too bad if it was just him. The riffs to AWTD were actually pretty good. Unlike LALD, the sudden shifts in tempo just didn't work. The song should not habove been a duet.

I disagree with you on that one. White is talented but Keyes is a far better vocalist and song writer for that matter than White is. Like I said, he should have just stuck to producing the instrumental as opposed to the actual song. The lyrics were awful and White's singing was noticeably worse than Keyes' when she herself wasn't wailing her harmon

Absolute bollocks, Keyes a better song writer than Jack White? Keyes needs all sorts of producers and collaborators to put a song together White does it all himself, White's talent dwarfs Alicia Keyes and I'm sure she'd acknowledge it herself.

The Song isn't great but White's wrote far better, are you even aware who Jack White is and what he has actually has wrote and been responsible for?

The White Stripes
    The Raconteurs
    The Dead Weather

Been involved with countless collaborations and as I said if he's been given the right amount of time to come up with something instead of a last minute replacement expected to come up with the goods it would have been a much different story.

Keyes is a talented R'N'B singer who's been responsible for a few good songs, Jack White is one of the most talented musicians, song writers and producers of the last 20 years.

Mate, I know who White is and I'm aware of his talents and contributions but I'm not convinced that he's a better singer/song writer than Keyes is and last minute or not, AWTD is just awful lyrically never mind the actual singing of said lyrics of which White came off as the inferior vocalist. Clearly, we'll agree to disagree on the matter, however, as an instrumental I think White did a very good job and the theme may have been better off as an instrumental title track.

• edited March 2014 Posts: 11,189
    @Shardlake

yeah because "shootem up bang bang" are truely inspired lyrics ;)
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    BAIN123 wrote:
    @Shardlake

yeah because "shootem up bang bang" are truely inspired lyrics ;)

I've already said it's the worst thing White has been involved with full stop, the lyrics are poor but how many Bond themes have naff lyrics?

• edited March 2014 Posts: 11,189
    Good point, quite a lot. Still... I think TND (and TWINE actually) have half decent tunes. AWTD doesn't.

I don't have any dislike for White or Keys, they both have talent but that doesn't necessarily mean the end product will be up to snuff.
  • edited March 2014 Posts: 1,009
    I will be killed for saying that, but after failing to do the song for TLD... I'm curious to hear something from the Pet Shop Boys.

Definately, I would take a chance on a veteran artist/s.
  • XXXXXX Banned
    QBranch wrote:
    doubleoego wrote:
    I sincerely hope you're joking about Cyrus but Lana Del Rey would be excellent!
    Haha Of course, just rounding it off with a laugh.
    doubleoego wrote:
    Have you heard her rendition of, 'once upon a dream' for Jolie's Maleficent? It's beautiful.
    I'm not sure I've heard that, however I have heard a lot of her music now, and feel she'd be ace for the Bond theme. Loved her since 'video games'.
    Video games is a living masterpiece, good call balls to the wall slam dunk
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    I will be killed for saying that, but after failing to do the song for TLD... I'm curious to hear something from the Pet Shop Boys.

Definately, I would take a chance on a veteran artist/s.
    Agreed. I'd give Pet Shop Boys one more chance.

I like Adele, but not crazy for her return - she's done her song, having two in a row is just plain greedy. However, if having Adele back means that we don't get some modern pop rubbish as the song, then fine. Imagine Justin Bieber or One Direction doing a Bond song? Never mind Die Another Day, that would be the biggest disaster of the James Bond series!
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Last I heard Craig would be happy for Adele to return, so that may carry some weight.

I think I would prefer not 2 in a row from the same artist. I don't mind a gap, then Adele returning.
    Although I do not mind if Adele should return? I would like a more upbeat tune next time, along the lines of LALD, AVTAK, or You Know My Name from CR.
  • It's got to be Olivia Newton-John! Long overdue!
    https://www.facebook.com/ONJforBond
    #ONJforBond
  • Imagine Justin Bieber or One Direction doing a Bond song? Never mind Die Another Day, that would be the biggest disaster of the James Bond series!
    apart from a die another day remake! seriously though bieber and one direction should NEVER be allowed ANYWHERE NEAR bond!
  • Fleetwood Mac. Surprised they didn't do one years earlier - but they are still in very rude health and still a very viable option. Thing is, do we want a Lindsey Buckingham led rocker or a Christine McVie/Stevie Nicks led ballad?

Maybe they could find a happy medium inbetween. Could really raise the profile now that Christine McVie is back in the line up.

Florence And The Machine would do a good one. So would Muse.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    RogueAgent wrote:
    Although I do not mind if Adele should return? I would like a more upbeat tune next time, along the lines of LALD, AVTAK, or You Know My Name from CR.

He's been mentioned and Daniel is a fan, Noel Gallagher could do a killer theme.

• On the strength of this I think "The Cardigans" would have been a good bet. Although I haven't heard anything about them in years so I'm not sure if they are still together now. I could easily imagine this as a Brosnan era Bond ditty.

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I'm still holding out for Michael Bublé to take on a Bond theme. His music has often shown inspirations from Bond music of the past, and it's about time he gets to make an official tune for the Craig era.

For your consideration (videos in spoiler tag):

He can do everything from the soft, romantic tunes of Matt Monro to the loud and brassy ones of Tom Jones.
  • RC7RC7
    I'm still holding out for Michael Bublé to take on a Bond theme. His music has often shown inspirations from Bond music of the past, and it's about time he gets to make an official tune for the Craig era.

He can do everything from the soft, romantic tunes of Matt Monro to the loud and brassy ones of Tom Jones.

The problem is, he's just a housewives favourite. I just can't see it happening, ever. The marketing guys would be loathe to use him, unless B24's release was shifted to Mothers Day and they could cash in on that market.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    RC7 wrote:

The problem is, he's just a housewives favourite. I just can't see it happening, ever. The marketing guys would be loathe to use him, unless B24's release was shifted to Mothers Day and they could cash in on that market.

Last time I checked, I wasn't a housewife. On a serious note, he's a "favorite" in a lot of areas, so I don't see how he's a bad marketing choice, especially since the Mendes helmed Craig films have appeared to be going for a classic feel in touch with early Bond, which Bublé embodies in his music and his style.
  • RC7RC7
    RC7 wrote:

Last time I checked, I wasn't a housewife. On a serious note, he's a "favorite" in a lot of areas, so I don't see how he's a bad marketing choice, especially since the Mendes helmed Craig films have appeared to be going for a classic feel in touch with early Bond, which Bublé embodies in his music and his style.

Perhaps it's different in the US, I'm speaking purely from UK perspective. I think people would see any recording of his as a pastiche of the 60's tunes. I don't mind the guy, he does what he does really well, but I can't see EON going down that route. Adele was a huge coup, but I imagine following up with the Bubble would fall a bit flat for most, this side of the Atlantic.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    It might be seen as following in the footsteps of Adele, but I'm going to nominate the hugely talented Idina Menzel
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idina_Menzel
    Idina_Menzel.jpg

Amazing voice she has. Though she may be too similar to Adele, to be considered.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    How about this girl?

• SuperheroSithSuperheroSith SE London
    Benny wrote:
    It might be seen as following in the footsteps of Adele, but I'm going to nominate the hugely talented Idina Menzel
    Amazing voice she has. Though she may be too similar to Adele, to be considered.
    Just saw Frozen and I agree!

If anyone should get a turn it's The Killers. They would rock the socks off a Bond song.
This discussion has been closed.