The X-Files Discussion Thread

DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
edited April 2019 in General Movies & TV Posts: 17,727
I recently purchased the third season of The X-Files second-hand and I was wondering if there were any fans of the TV supernatural show here on MI6 Community? (It's not something I'm normally drawn to, but I've also recently purchased The X-Files novelisation of the episode Squeeze and I remember seeing it on TV. I have a best friend who was a big fan of the series.)

I see how the show may have influenced or at the very least complimented some of John Gardner's later James Bond continuation novel work, especially Never Send Flowers (1993), which features a serial killer character called David March who is a serial beheader of blonde women and who keeps their heads floating in solution in his refrigerator, offering them up as sacrifices to the Egyptian God Osiris. David Dragonpol is also a rather twisted serial killer in the novel, being the main villain of the piece.

If there are any fans here, which of these X-Files series/episodes would you recommend and what do you think of my theory that The X-Files has links back/forward to the James Bond phenomenon?

As always, I'd really love to hear from you on all of these points raised here.

Comments

I was a big fan of the X-Files back when it started till about the first movie. To me those are the only episodes really worth watching, though I've caught episodes later in the series here and there and have been entertained - I just feel like those episodes are a bit more redundant. Season 3 was probably my favorite season with 'Jose Chung's From Outer Space' being my favorite of the series. It was very clever and extremely funny, especially after following the series for some time.

I was planning on rewatching a season or two in a couple of weeks. The only episodes that I remember sticking out were Ice, Squeeze, Jose Chung, and probably anything with Krycheck (sp) and/or the black oil stuff. Those were usually strong.
  • Watched it religiously....but they killed the brand with two naff films and now he wants a third....not good.
  • Always loved The X Files after watching the episode Young at Heart.

A series, the likes of we'll maybe never see again. Lacked in later years, became very difficult to follow and it started to lack of lot of what originally made it great.

I still revisit the show from time to time as I have the great dvd boxes and movies. This was the series that go me hooked on sci fi.
  • edited March 2013 Posts: 7,653
    I would not mind a third movie I did like the 2nd better than the first
    I was a fan of this when I was living in USA, but the later seasons got boring and it was pulled eventually.
    Yep! Love the X Files. Don't ever recall missing an episode, seen both movies too. The episode i always remember above any else? Toombs! He still freaks me out to this day! Brilliant charactor! :-SS
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Could anyone here give me some sort of run-down of the best episodes of The X Files at all. I'm new to the show.
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Could anyone here give me some sort of run-down of the best episodes of The X Files at all. I'm new to the show.

I named a few in my post.
    Yes, you did indeed. And I've noted them down. I was just wondering if any other MI6 members wanted to recommend some more episodes?
    The ones written by Chris Carter are usually top notch, as far as the show goes. Home was my favorite when I was younger, though I don't like it as much as I did back then. X-Files is hard just because there are so many episodes. I'd just say watch seasons 1-5. They're all pretty solid. Season 1 has a couple of weak episodes just because the production money was lower, but on the whole it was still pretty decent. They have the entire series on Netflix instant stream
    edited May 2019 Posts: 17,727
    I've got the novel version of Squeeze - have you ever read any of these novel tin-in books at all?
  • Tombs and the best for me irresistible with Donnie Pfaster killer. Really really creepy.
    I had X-Files: Ruins http://www.amazon.com/Ruins-The-X-Files-Kevin-Anderson/dp/0061057363/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1363039117&sr=8-1&keywords=X-Files+ruins

And I had X-Files: Antibodies http://www.amazon.com/Antibodies-X-Files-Kevin-J-Anderson/dp/B00BA00PNG/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1363039186&sr=1-1&keywords=X-Files+Antibodies

I read both when I was much younger. From what I remember they were pretty good, although I don't remember many specifics. I see that they're also available for Kindle. I may pick them up sometime down the line.
    Ah yes! I love The X-Files! I own the first 7 seasons on DVD and am currently watching the series right now. I'm on the 2nd episode of the 2nd season. Also, recently as in June 19, 2013, there is a new comic book series called 'The X-Files Season 10' and I'm collecting the series every time an issue comes out. So yes, I love The X-Files and looking forward to see what comes ahead.
    Brilliant series. Just attended a theatrical presentation of a couple of episodes hosted live by Chris Carter at the Egyptian in Hollywood. The episodes play like major features up on the big screen.
    Well, thank you both for reviving my dormant thread. I'm a newbie to this series, as I may have mentioned above. Interesting to meet Chris Carter, I'm sure.
    My favorite show of the nineties. I was a huge X-Files geek. Still have some of the two-parters on vhs and all the comics and games / cd-roms.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Always loved this show. I used to drop everything to tune in, hence my two broken feet. I reckon there's still quite a few episodes I haven't seen yet, so the series is on my long list. One of my absolute favourite episodes is 'Rush' (episode 5, season 7).
    QBranch wrote:
    Always loved this show. I used to drop everything to tune in, hence my two broken feet. I reckon there's still quite a few episodes I haven't seen yet, so the series is on my long list. One of my absolute favourite episodes is 'Rush' (episode 5, season 7).

Can you construct a sentence without it being comedy gold, @QBranch? I bet you can't!
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Dragonpol wrote:
    QBranch wrote:

Can you construct a sentence without it being comedy gold, @QBranch? I bet you can't!

MOD EDIT: COMMENT REMOVED TO PREVENT DEATH BY LAUGHTER
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I was a big X-Files fan; The two movies were fair; it's a shame they never really nailed it on the big screen.
  • I love the X Files. Cannot wait for the third movie (if it happens).
  • Home was a great episode. The inbreds freaked out my friends though :-))
    edited September 2013 Posts: 17,727
    Nice to see this thread of mine revived again!

Great! I'll have to dig that one out then - what series is that from @CriticAndProud?
  • edited September 2013 Posts: 2,107
    Just watched the third episode last night and the two previous a few days ago. The show's still dynamite!

In reminder of the show that made me into a geek in the nineties, I just changed my avatar picture to Mulder and Scully :-B
    Hopefully a 3rd movie will be on the horizon and that we will hear something official soon?! Brilliant show!
    I think that X-Files 3 will never happen. It's past it's due date. I hoped we would have gotten X-Files 3 for 2012, when the alien invasion was supposed to have happened. Don't think we'll get another 'monster of a week' movie, like the last one was supposed to be.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Favourite episode
    The one where that old geezer from Everybody Loves Raymond plays a psychic.
    Does anyone remember the title of this, or which season it was in?
  • I recently ended the show and I thought I would share my overall favourite episodes. I split up the list to mythology and non- mythology. My #1 non mythology episode is my favourite.
    (Mythology)
    10.The Truth (9x19)
    9. The Erlemeyer Flask (1x24)
    8. Anasazi/The Blessing Way/Paper Clip (2x25,3x1,3x2)
    7. Colony/ End Game (2x16,2x17)
    6. Nisei/ 731 (3x9,3x10)
    5. Fallen Angel (1x10)
    4. Pilot (1x1)
    3. William (9x16)
    2. Duane Barry/Ascension/One Breath (2x5,2x6,2x8)
    1. Sein und Ziet/ Closure (7x10, 7x11)

(Non-Mythology)
    10. Drive (6x2)
    9. Dreamland I/ Dreamland II (6x4,6x5)
    8. Triangle (6x3)
    7. Beyond The Sea (1x13)
    6. The Jersey Devil (1x5)
    5. Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose (3x4)
    4. Sunshine Days (9x18)
    3. Monday (6x14)
    2. Young at Heart (1x16)
    1. Musings of a Cigarette Smoking Man (4x7)

What are your favourites? :D
  • retrokittyretrokitty The Couv
    I don't know all of them; have seen most but not all. But there are two that stand out for me. Home and D.P.O. I should really do a review of some of these in the winter. Great show.