The DANIEL CRAIG Appreciation thread - Discuss His Life, His Career, His Bond Films

Comments

• Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    Those glasses look exactly like mine. I'm on trend at last!
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Cue the fashion police, before we start he's playing a totally different character and from reports he's pulled it off.

There as been the odd snipe but most reviews say DC is fantastic fun and would love to Benoit Blanc return.

I seriously can't wait, I much more looking forward to this than I am Rise of Skywalker.
  • I saw Knives Out at a TIFF screening. Every actor gets their shining moment in the film, but Craig is the lead in arguably his most fun role ever... his reactions to the obnoxious family he has to investigate are priceless and in every other scene he got so many laughs from the audience! Ana de Armas is the heart of the film though, and the de facto co-lead in terms of screentime. The rapport and chemistry between her and Craig, as well as with Christopher Plummer, are a joy to watch. Can't wait to see them together on screen again next year.

The film itself is a riot regardless if you like the whoddunit genre or not. There's plenty of hilarious observations of current day politics and delicious homages to the best creators of the genre. I think this will be a big hit when it comes out in theatres!
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    2nd trailer for Knives Out coming later today (September 18th).
  • AgentJamesBond007AgentJamesBond007 Vesper’s grave

phje3htj0dn31.jpg
    Now that's a cool trailer and a very very cool poster!
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    Now that is a trailer. Damn!
  • edited September 2019 Posts: 1,469
    Just watched the trailer...looks good, looks fun! Interesting southern accent for Daniel. Looks like Toni Collette has a good part. And Don Johnson is a bonus for me, being a Miami Vice fan.

Just watching it a second time...one character calls Craig's character "Mr. Blanc". Sound familiar?!
  • SuperintendentSuperintendent A separate pool. For sharks, no less.

Jammy people, would love a photo with the main man!!!
    I wonder, if given how much Rian Johnson enjoyed working with DC, if he wont pop up in his Star Wars film.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    I highly doubt RJ will ever direct another SW film, despite the official statements.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I was watching a little bit of CR last night, and was really enjoying it. But at some point I felt a sadness. This is not new, but it really hit me this time. CR was so fresh and clean and damned near perfect, and I was trying to watch it with fresh eyes. I was overwhelmed by the promise it showed. In his time we could have had five or six more films with Daniel that were all equally fresh and new; classic adventures, each with their own themes and look, with exotic new villains and near completely independent of each other. As much as I dig QOS, I would gladly sacrifice it in the canon if EON would have just gone off in that direction, more interested in Bond interacting with the larger world, than the larger world interacting with Bond's world. SF almost did it, but got bogged down in backstory and personal issues.
    Regardless of your views on the past three films, I ask you to go back and watch with CR with that view in mind; that we were going to get this Bond thrust into Fleming like situations without the baggage that accumulated so quickly. We can't get ah opportunity back again. Not with Daniel. Such potential.

Actually had the same experience not so long ago, @Birdleson. And I wholeheartedly agree. I'm not a fan of the continuity. Not one bit. And I hope they don't attempt it again with the new actor and era.
  • edited October 2019 Posts: 12,837
    Excited for Knives Out but hope that Craig does more British stuff too once he's done with Bond. There's no stopping him from doing Hollywood films and finding the time to do more of the sort of British dramas he first made his name in. Martin Freeman for example has really blown up over the last few years but he's in something on ITV that's airing at the minute.
    Univex wrote: »
    I was watching a little bit of CR last night, and was really enjoying it. But at some point I felt a sadness. This is not new, but it really hit me this time. CR was so fresh and clean and damned near perfect, and I was trying to watch it with fresh eyes. I was overwhelmed by the promise it showed. In his time we could have had five or six more films with Daniel that were all equally fresh and new; classic adventures, each with their own themes and look, with exotic new villains and near completely independent of each other. As much as I dig QOS, I would gladly sacrifice it in the canon if EON would have just gone off in that direction, more interested in Bond interacting with the larger world, than the larger world interacting with Bond's world. SF almost did it, but got bogged down in backstory and personal issues.
    Regardless of your views on the past three films, I ask you to go back and watch with CR with that view in mind; that we were going to get this Bond thrust into Fleming like situations without the baggage that accumulated so quickly. We can't get ah opportunity back again. Not with Daniel. Such potential.

Actually had the same experience not so long ago, @Birdleson. And I wholeheartedly agree. I'm not a fan of the continuity. Not one bit. And I hope they don't attempt it again with the new actor and era.

I don't have an issue with some continuity. I like the character stuff, how Craig's Bond develops over time. But there's no reason he couldn't have grown in the same way over the course of a few different adventures. Silva especially did not need to be a Spectre agent imo. I realised a while ago that with that retcon, the CR PTS is technically the only time we've seen Craig on a mission that wasn't about stopping SPECTRE. Even Connery had Goldfinger. I know he'll have had unrelated off screen missions, but not showing us these does make the world seem a lot smaller.

And even the character stuff felt like a retread after CR. I was happy with "the bitch is dead" being the end of the Vesper arc and Bond being fully formed, but for some reason we get him struggling to move past that in QoS. Then SF comes along with Bond finally past his origin story phase only to break him down and have to try and re-become Bond all over again. CR, QoS and SF all have essentially the same ending. Origin story over, Bond is back. But they never really delivered on that promise until SP, which is why I love it and can overlook its flaws.

SP gets a bad wrap but I thought his character arc in that one was a nice change and really satisfying. Because by the time we get to that film the human Bond who stared in the mirror wondered what he was actually doing with his life after killing Obanno was pretty much gone. He'd become much more of a Connery type. But then he's reminded of Vesper and the man he used to be and thinks no, I don't like what I've turned into, I'm going to walk away. I thought that was cool and I would have been genuinely happy with that as the ending of the Craig era. I guess it makes sense to do one more though to undo that. Fleming made a point of showing how Bond could never actually walk away and be happy.
    Long Range Forecast: Knives Out
    https://boxofficepro.com/long-range-forecast-knives-out-queen-slim/

'Knives Out' is currently projected to have a $15 - 20 million opening weekend.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports

This has happened to me, as well, but for a very different reason, As much as I appreciate DC's work in that film, I find that the more I watch it (now 13 years later) the more I realize it loses its lustre. CR was once at the top of my list, but it is falling steadily. Now down around #5 or #6. Still among the best, but it isn't aging well at all. There are parts of it that are now laughable...for all the wrong reasons.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    TripAces wrote: »

This has happened to me, as well, but for a very different reason, As much as I appreciate DC's work in that film, I find that the more I watch it (now 13 years later) the more I realize it loses its lustre. CR was once at the top of my list, but it is falling steadily. Now down around #5 or #6. Still among the best, but it isn't aging well at all. There are parts of it that are now laughable...for all the wrong reasons.
    Which parts aren't aging well specifically? I never really found that to be an issue.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    CR is like a fine wine; it gets better as the years advance and I’d rock solid in my rankings.
  • Birdleson wrote: »

Totally agree. Think Craig has been brilliant, but don't think the films after CR have lived up to the high standard set in CR. I like what they've done with the Craig era, but think it's also been a bit of a missed opportunity too.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    A more carefully thought out story arc would have been very beneficial ; to a degree it feels as if following CR, they were trying to find their way and making it up as they went along. The franchise has been rudderless.
    With vision, a roughly 5 film story arc could have been outlined to define Craig's tenure. Of course within this would have been a certain flexibility for inspiration. One thing I would have done would have been to delay the issues of burnout and age seen in Skyfall for a later film.
  • manovermanover uk
    Knives out continues to get impressive reviews..both the times and daily telegraph of uk newspapers giving it 5 star reviews!
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    19456336-7551571-image-a-38_1570560580799.jpg
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited October 2019 Posts: 40,474
    ggl007 wrote: »

Craig is looking real good these days.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    edited October 2019 Posts: 5,185

I present to you... the next James Bond...
    Just kidding, but i would probably, actually watch this... But only if she plays the role as a lesbian. Holy s*** would i watch that. Every single day, on repeat.
    00Agent wrote: »

I present to you... the next James Bond...
    Just kidding, but i would probably, actually watch this... But only if she plays the role as a lesbian. Holy s*** would i watch that. Every single day, on repeat.

:))
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    HECK. I would too, and I'm a straight woman. Also, I need a shirt like that.
    I like Dan with his hair longer,suits him.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    I am amazed at how young Ana de Armas looks in the trailers for Knives Out. I would have assumed she was in her early 20's!
    barryt007 wrote: »
    I like Dan with his hair longer,suits him.

enhanced-buzz-32261-1353353357-5.jpg?downsize=700%3A%2A&output-quality=auto&output-format=auto&output-quality=auto&output-format=auto&downsize=360:*
    Kinky.