Daniel Craig wants Adele to sing the theme to the next Bond blockbuster

Comments

I am not talking about the Bond history, but about how i think, a new film has to look and feel resh and hiring the same singer for something, that is so important for many as the title song, would feel old IMO. A director is another issue, as his hand is only visible through the film and that one will have another story. But a singer will sound too similar.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Germanlady wrote:
    I am not talking about the Bond history, but about how i think, a new film has to look and feel resh and hiring the same singer for something, that is so important for many as the title song, would feel old IMO. A director is another issue, as his hand is only visible through the film and that one will have another story. But a singer will sound too similar.
    But directors have a distinctive/recognizable style, so how is that fresh either?
    Germanlady wrote:
    I strongly doubt, he actually said it. We know, he likes the song and Adele and IMO the rest is made up.

I completely agree with this. An unnamed source telling some tabloid something a famous person supposedly said is most likely the writer just making a story up.
    Germanlady wrote:
    Mendes is another íssue though altogether.

I agree with this, too. It is a completely different issue. A director works with the actors all throughout the movie. Not only are Sam and Daniel friends, and their working relationship is excellent, but also, others were happy to work with Sam as well, and he seems to be great with actors, he allows them to improvise, to be creative. Javier was clearly very impressed that such freedom and creativity was possible and was allowed in a huge production like Bond, he said it felt like doing a small independent movie at times. Sam (and Daniel as usual) created a good atmosphere for everyone to work in it seems. Why wouldn't Daniel want Sam to direct another one?
    MrBond wrote:
    (perhaps bring Arnold back instead of Newman, but that's never going to happen with Mendes)

Whether or not Sam will direct, I personally don't want Arnold back at all. I don't know if I'm the only one around here, but I think Newman's score for Skyfall is miles better than Arnold's for CR or QoS.

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Germanlady wrote:
    But directors have a distinctive/recognizable style, so how is that fresh either?

I agree with this. With trademarks, it's so easy to spot directors films, such as David Fincher, Michael Mann, the late Tony Scott, etc.

I wouldn't say the same director is going to be "fresh." Would I mind if Mendes returned, though? Absolutely not.
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 12,837
    Mendes is hardly, lets say Tarantino though. I don't think he has any distinctive trademarks that make me think "this is a Sam Mendes film" (although I've only seen Jarhead and SF), and so his films will feel different and fresher I think.

My one issue with Mendes coming back is this: he'd probably bring Newman back with him.

To be honest I don't think my disappointment with SFs score was helped by being on this site. "Oh Arnold was terrible, you'll see, Newman will win OSCARS!!!!!!!"

I think he was really overhyped and the only Arnold score I'd put below the SF one is DAD.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Germanlady wrote:

I agree with this. With trademarks, it's so easy to spot directors films, such as David Fincher, Michael Mann, the late Tony Scott, etc.

I wouldn't say the same director is going to be "fresh." Would I mind if Mendes returned, though? Absolutely not.

Especially Tarantino! If you can't spot his work, check your cataracts.
  • Mendes is hardly, lets say Tarantino though. I don't think he has any distinctive trademarks that make me think "this is a Sam Mendes film" (although I've only seen Jarhead and SF), and so his films will feel different and fresher I think.

My one issue with Mendes coming back is this: he'd probably bring Newman back with him.

To be honest I don't think my disappointment with SFs score was helped by being on this site. "Oh Arnold was terrible, you'll see, Newman will win OSCARS!!!!!!!"

I think he was really overhyped and the only Arnold score I'd put below the SF one is DAD.

Watch American Beauty and Revolutionary Road. You'll likely change your opinion. He has a very distinctive style indeed, albeit a subtle one.
    If a director has a style, that works for the sort of movie he is doing, he can do another one as the plot is enough to distract from this style to not become boring or repetetive as opposed to a song of a few minutes sung by the same voice. Makes perfect sense to me.

As to Newman - IMO Arnold is way better.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I'd love if Adele came back to sing another title theme. Skyfall gave me chills the first time I heard it in the cinema.
    Germanlady wrote:
    If a director has a style, that works for the sort of movie he is doing, he can do another one as the plot is enough to distract from this style to not become boring or repetetive as opposed to a song of a few minutes sung by the same voice. Makes perfect sense to me.

As to Newman - IMO Arnold is way better.

But voices have pitch, and a singer can change their voice in many ways to make the song new. Every song has a different meaning as well.

And some directors are so bad that no matter what film they do they are repulsive.
  • My thoughts-

1. Love the title song, thought Adele did a nice job with it and I would welcome her back in the future, but she's no Shirley Bassey and a new singer or group needs to do the next one. I would love another rocking tune like YKMN.

2. Unlike Tuulia, I'll take the QOS soundtrack short of the title song over the SF soundtrack. More Bondian sounding and Arnold showed some very solid strides including in the action scenes where he is usually weak, his best effort since TND. Also, Newman's romance pieces pale in comparison to Arnold's TND and CR work, Arnold was in the rarified air of Barry with the Vesper themes and Newman has yet to touch him in this category, especially in SF. A good effort by Newman, but not enough to convince me he understands Bond music any better.

• Watch American Beauty and Revolutionary Road. You'll likely change your opinion. He has a very distinctive style indeed, albeit a subtle one.

Can you elaborate, and tie these distinctive elements in to SF? I don't see it myself but am curious about what I'm missing.

As for Adele returning, I don't believe that Craig said this as a serious quote, or even said it as all. Look at the source.

• I think they let somebody else give it a try and here is an article about a singer (who all of you might know) that was considered for skyfall btw this article is before skyfall was named

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/bizarre/2914222/Bond-girl-is-really-GaGa.html
    edited January 2013 Posts: 40,368
    I'd rather it be me taking a crack at the 'Bond 24' theme song before Lady Gaga. And that's saying something.

As bad as it is, if she delivered an excellent song...it's Lady Gaga. I just instantly match that name to all things bad.
  • Creasy47 wrote:
    I'd rather it be me taking a crack at the 'Bond 24' theme song before Lady Gaga. And that's saying something.

As bad as it is, if she delivered an excellent song...it's Lady Gaga. I just instantly match that name to all things bad.

She can sing really good and I respect your opinion but I think bond needs a pop song I can see them waiting because of in my opinion the awful DAD theme by Madonna

:D
    Creasy47 wrote:

We dodged a damn bullet there, and so did Bond. He already got shoot too much in Skyfall, he doesn't need Ga Ga Goo Goo or whatever raining on his parade dressed in a meat costume. I will take Adele again over her, hands down. When she (Goo Goo) is actually considered for a Bond singer we are talking level Defcon 5 here, so all bets are off, even variety and tradition.

But seriously, god we are lucky...
  • Creasy47 wrote:

We dodged a damn bullet there, and so did Bond. He already got shoot too much in Skyfall, he doesn't need Ga Ga Goo Goo or whatever raining on his parade dressed in a meat costume. I will take Adele again over her, hands down. When she (Goo Goo) is actually considered for a Bond singer we are talking level Defcon 5 here, so all bets are off, even variety and tradition.

Um okay I just suggested her and then a person says in my opinion a rude comment I already kinda got picked on youtube after suggesting Nicki Minaj as Wasp besides they sorta have the same skin color...

It wasn't meant to be a rude comment; I just really loathe the idea of Lady Gaga doing the theme song. There's nothing 'rude' about two people having differing ideas.
    inukai44 wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:

Um okay I just suggested her and then a person says in my opinion a rude comment I already kinda got picked on youtube after suggesting Nicki Minaj as Wasp besides they sorta have the same skin color...

Well you deserve that one, mate. :))
  • Creasy47 wrote:
    It wasn't meant to be a rude comment; I just really loathe the idea of Lady Gaga doing the theme song. There's nothing 'rude' about two people having differing ideas.

Well, Madonna already made a theme song, and she's practically the Lady Gaga of the last generation. So everything's possible.

I'm not saying I want her to do a song though. No way in hell.
    I'm not in any way suggesting that Lady Gaga be considered (at all), but a famous American pop star would certainly bolster publicity for the film in the US.
  • And if I can say anything to defend Gaga, she actually does have a good voice, when she doesn't drown it in odd noices and dubstep weirdness. I saw a clip somewhere of just her and a piano, and it worked. If she were to make a theme song I'd bet on them doing something similar.
    And if I can say anything to defend Gaga, she actually does have a good voice, when she doesn't drown it in odd noices and dubstep weirdness. I saw a clip somewhere of just her and a piano, and it worked. If she were to make a theme song I'd bet on them doing something similar.
    Piano or not, I would still barf knowing EON hired her.
    :-&
  • And if I can say anything to defend Gaga, she actually does have a good voice, when she doesn't drown it in odd noices and dubstep weirdness. I saw a clip somewhere of just her and a piano, and it worked. If she were to make a theme song I'd bet on them doing something similar.
    Piano or not, I would still barf knowing EON hired her.
    :-&

Eh, yeah, I'd prefer it if we could avoid Gaga. There tons of better choices.
  • Creasy47 wrote:

I was talking to bond fanatic
    inukai44 wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:

I was talking to bond fanatic

You can just call me Brady. It was just my point of view, doesn't mean you have to take it as yours.
  • Just give Michael Bublé a chance, for God's sake.

Just give Michael Bublé a chance, for God's sake.

I know, right?!
    [-O<
    Just give Michael Bublé a chance, for God's sake.

I know, right?!
    [-O<

^ Like
  • He would be good