Academy Awards are honoring 50th Anniversary of Bond during Oscars. They should just use this video.

Comments

• edited February 2013 Posts: 12,837
    Get Guns n Roses to do their version instead then (joking but I do love the cover they did, I'd even go as far to say that I think they came close to improving the song).

If they do get others performing I think Mccartney will probably be one of them. LALD is so iconic and I think it's not just the best Bond theme but one of the greatest songs of all time.

I prefer Diamonds from Bassey but GF is still an iconic Bond song. This should be good.
    Get Guns n Roses to do their version instead then (joking but I do love the cover they did, I'd even go as far to say that I think they came close to improving the song).

Me too. :P

• Quite unbelievable so much bickering about an Oscar for 'Skyfall'. The complaints are already starting. And I don't get it. Five Oscar nominations itself is an absolute record for a Bond film. And where were all those complainers during the past 30 years when James Bond got staunchly ignored? Well? Show some gratitude for the fact that 'Skyfall' is honoured with 5 Oscar nominations.
    Tuulia wrote:

Me too. :P

I'm a bit biased because they're one of my favourite bands but I think the song being heavier helps because of the build up at the start. You feel like it builds up to something more than in the original.

Anyway, fantastic song, fantastic cover.

Hadn't heard either for a long time. It's such a great song.
  • edited February 2013 Posts: 1,637
    Bassey should sing Goldmember , I can just imagine the lyrics :

Goldmeeeeeeeeembah !
    hes the man , the man with the gooooooolden knob !
    A golden knob !!!

trololololol :D

(the Oscars are rigged......Blofeld giving an award to Zorin , nuff said lol ;)
    Zadan says, pointing to the 50 years of James Bond tribute they have announced, which won’t be a reunion of the actors who played 007 despite rampant media speculation. “It’s something else, something very unique and very exciting but no, we’re not getting the Bonds together”.

http://www.deadline.com/2013/02/oscars-ceremony-producers-want-to-uphold-tradition-and-modernize/#more-430260
  • i really hope they get all six actors for the tribute... has anyone seen if this is confirmed or not?
    i really hope they get all six actors for the tribute... has anyone seen if this is confirmed or not?

Well deadline is pretty reliable - there WON 'T be any 6 actors.
  • RC7RC7
    Germanlady wrote:
    i really hope they get all six actors for the tribute... has anyone seen if this is confirmed or not?

Well deadline is pretty reliable - there WON 'T be any 6 actors.

Yeah seems like confirmation. I never really thought this would happen, it was always one of those things that gains traction because so many fanboys 'want' it to happen. I hope they do something original.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I just want a bloody good show.
    Seems they will do their tribute without ANY of the actors. Its just like him to not build on the momentum he has right now.
    According to this video Daniel and Rachel will skip the Oscars, because Rachel will be abroad to promote Oz.

To be fair, I can imagine how awkward it could be for the actors. Bond is getting a massive tribute, the biggest it's ever gotten and that's alot of overwhelming attention. I think Bond as an icon and a mythology is what and needs to be celebrated as opposed to the actors, especially as Bond is bigger than any actor in the first place. I really hope Adele and Bassey tear the house down.
    I think, they will have choreographed scenes on stage and maybe the real scene showing on a screen in the back. They will use one dancer as Bond as having music laid over - then Adele and Shirley performing and thats it.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    So, who is watching the Oscars tonight?
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    Creasy47 wrote:

I would want to, but the Oscars start 2:30 am here so that is way too late if i'm going up to school tomorrow..
  • DiscoVolanteDiscoVolante Stockholm, Sweden
    MrBond wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:

I would want to, but the Oscars start 2:30 am here so that is way too late if i'm going up to school tomorrow..
    Yep it's gonna be tough, but I'll do my best to endure

\m/
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited February 2013 Posts: 13,350
    There's no way, I will be but I'll be sure to catch it all tomorrow.
    Creasy47 wrote:

Watch it every year. 2012 was a good year for film, at least in my eyes. Even more excited to be rooting for Bond, Tarantino, and Paul Thomas Anderson. I'm hoping between the three my fandom(s) will be pleased.
    I'll be watching it tonight.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I have an RA meeting tonight, but I managed to set up a program so I can miss the meeting and relax and watch the Oscars: setting out ballots for students to vote, and whoever gets the most votes correct gets some money on their account for free campus laundry. Should be a good evening.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    MrBond wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:

Sam time here. I really wanted to but tomorrow I have to welcome my new intern very early in the morning so it's probably not a good idea. I-)
    For 20 consecutive years I watched the Oscars live on TV, a tradition that I sadly had to interrupt last year 8-| Although I hardly ever agreed to with final decisions it was still usually interesting to watch.
  • edited February 2013 Posts: 6,601
    http://www.deadline.com/2013/02/longest-oscars-in-hollywood-history-yawnfest-instead-of-usual-snorefest/#more-438236

Here’s the rundown of tonight’s awards from Yair Raveh whose popular Israeli film blog cinemascope.co.il gets it right year after year:

ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE
    5:45:09 PT
    ANIMATED SHORT FILM
    5:54:06 PT
    ANIMATED FEATURE FILM
    5:56:18 PT
    CINEMATOGRAPHY
    6:05:13 PT
    VISUAL EFFECTS
    6:07:43 PT
    COSTUME DESIGN
    6:14:53 PT
    MAKEUP AND HAIRSTYLING
    6:17:14 PT
    LIVE ACTION SHORT FILM
    6:30:40 PT
    DOCUMENTARY SHORT SUBJECT
    6:32:59 PT
    DOCUMENTARY FEATURE
    6:41:32 PT
    FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM
    6:48:07 PT
    SOUND MIXING
    7:08:52 PT
    SOUND EDITING
    7:14:17 PT
    ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE
    7:19:12 PT
    FILM EDITING
    7:31:00 PT
    PRODUCTION DESIGN
    7:47:02 PT
    INTRO IN MEMORIAM
    7:56:45 PT
    IN MEMORIAM PACKAGE & PERFORMANCE
    8:00:15 PT
    ORIGINAL SCORE
    8:08:13 PT
    ORIGINAL SONG
    8:17:16 PT
    ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
    8:22:42 PT
    ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
    8:25:16 PT
    DIRECTING
    8:32:33 PT
    ACTRESS IN A LEADING ROLE
    8:39:57 PT
    ACTOR IN A LEADING ROLE
    8:46:29 PT
    BEST PICTURE
    8:53:29 PT
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Creasy47 wrote:

Of course. It's my Super Bowl.
    Thanks, GL. So I'll be [-O< a bit past 6, 7 and 8... that'll be a bit past 4, 5 and 6 am my time - easy to remember. :)

Hours to go, sigh, not even bloody midnight, yet...
    Creasy47 wrote:

It's on at about one in the morning over here and I have work in the morning so I can't. I'll just watch the Bond tribute online tommorow.
  • THEBond007THEBond007 Banned
    I like this video better even though it too long to be shown http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=-1d69M3cVCM
    Does anyone have the link to the online Oscars Bond tribute? Did Bassey and Adele perform too?
    Bounine wrote:
    Does anyone have the link to the online Oscars Bond tribute? Did Bassey and Adele perform too?

It won't happen for another hour / hour and a half.