Comments

• I'd say:
    --> Roger Deakins: Out
    --> Wally Pfister: In !!!
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    I'd say:

As previously mentioned, Pfister is a director nowadays.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    MrBond wrote:
    I'd say:

As previously mentioned, Pfister is a director nowadays.

He's also a bit of a douche.

I'd give a +1 to Hoyt Van Hoytema too.

• ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    dragonsky wrote:
    Any chance we get Hoyte van Hoytema? The guy who did Tinker Tailor was pretty good.
    +1. I like his work.

I wouldn't complain at that suggestion, he's Nolan's replacement for Wally Pfister on Interstellar.

His cinematography on Tinker is superb, maybe even get Alberto Iglesias to do the score.
    Love to see Oldman in Bond, not a villain though more an ally, the same goes for Christoph Waltz, not a villain something more interesting.

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars

This is from March last year, so nearly a year go. Are there are new rumors at all about Adele returning? I am curious.

http://www.flickchart.com/blog/adele-to-record-theme-for-bond-24
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Any chance we get Hoyte van Hoytema? The guy who did Tinker Tailor was pretty good.

Ashamed to say I hadn't heard of who this was until I saw some comments on another film site about Deakins not returning. I think Hoytema would be amazing, 'Tinker Tailor' was stellar work.
  • StrelikStrelik Spectre Island
    edited February 2014 Posts: 108
    Hmm. Considering that Sam Mendes usually works with the same cinematographers, he might pick Ellen Kuras ("Away We Go"). Kuras also did "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" with Michel Gondry.

But, yes, Hoytema would be preferable to Kuras.
    Cinematography isn't merely about colour and lighting it's about photographing a moving image. So while lighting is important there are a host of other factors at play including framing and composition.

Deakins is a world-class DP and probably the best working in Hollywood. The fact he looked twice at a Bond film is staggering and his contribution made SF less a disposable popcorn-blockbuster and elevated the film into more a artful atmosphere.

I'm not just referring to the obvious beauty-shots of the film but just his simply framing choices during some of the dialogue scenes stand out. Like this moment where Mallory and M first meet:

http://i1.wp.com/screencaps.us/201/2-skyfall/full/skyfall-movie-screencaps.com-2073.jpg
    http://i2.wp.com/screencaps.us/201/2-skyfall/full/skyfall-movie-screencaps.com-2102.jpg
    http://i1.wp.com/screencaps.us/201/2-skyfall/full/skyfall-movie-screencaps.com-2103.jpg

The photography clearly shows the pair to be equals and what we are witnessing is essentially a boxing-match in armchairs.

Other interesting choices made by Deakins:

http://i1.wp.com/screencaps.us/201/2-skyfall/full/skyfall-movie-screencaps.com-8461.jpg
    http://i2.wp.com/screencaps.us/201/2-skyfall/full/skyfall-movie-screencaps.com-1.jpg

Bond and Silva's introductions in the film both mirror each others emphasising the doppelgänger nature of the pair. Deakins should have won the Oscar alone for Silva's introduction speech.

The whole finale when Skyfall Lodge goes up in smoke is possibly the most beautifully-shot sequence in any Bond movie. Action movies don't typically look anywhere near as accomplished as SF.

http://screenmusings.org/Skyfall/pages/skyfall-1666.htm
    http://screenmusings.org/Skyfall/pages/skyfall-1630.htm
    http://screenmusings.org/Skyfall/pages/skyfall-1499.htm

That most definitely is a matter of individual taste. I myself find the cinematography in QOS in many places more compelling.

• My vote goes to Jeff Cronenweth but I wouldn't mind Hote Van Hoytema.
  • This is from March last year, so nearly a year go. Are there are new rumors at all about Adele returning? I am curious.

I would support Adele's return. She may be the new Bassey.

• This is from March last year, so nearly a year go. Are there are new rumors at all about Adele returning? I am curious.

I would support Adele's return. She may be the new Bassey.

I second that.

Maybe they can name the villain after Hote van Hoytema while they're at it.
    Sam has a very definite story he wants to tell. For me, I was glad to have had the chance to shoot 'Skyfall' and now I think someone else should be given the opportunity. - Roger Deakins

Source: http://www.rogerdeakins.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=2842&sid=dc614b3759334c26fcee4efdc9c900e4
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I think this is a very interesting website; lots to read. Thanks!
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I can't wait to get an official synopsis if what Bond 24 is going to be about. With things starting to really kick off in April, it's not long before we get more news and rumours.
  • Ohhh...how interesting, Mendes has a 'definite story' he wants to tell. That sounds like a very enticing prospect. I expect Bond 24 will be far from the workman-like director jobs we had during the Brosnan years.

SF was a very directed film and it's interesting that Mendes has a clear story about how to move that story forward. I really think this film will be akin to Nolan's Dark Knight films. An auter director coming in and planting his stamp on a cultural icon.

• edited February 2014 Posts: 4,619
    An auter director coming in and planting his stamp on a cultural icon.

Agreed. The fact that Mendes said that he "put everything he ever wanted to put into a Bond movie into Skyfall" makes me really happy that he decided to return after all because it means that now he has his ultimate dream Bond film behind him and can be more experimental with the next one. I really expect the next one to be more "Mendesian" than Skyfall.

Roger Deakins wrote that Mendes "has a very definite story he wants to tell". This indicates that BOND 24 won't be a run off the mill Bond film like QOS or most of the Bond films between OHMSS and CR. Skyfall had an excellent cast and crew, probably the best in the series. The only thing that needs to be improved upon is the script and I feel that Bond 24 will have a better and much more unique screenplay. Hopefully the cast and crew will be just as good as Skyfall's. (Although getting a cinematographer just as good as Deakins on boad is probably not an easy task - not even for Sam Mendes.)
  • edited February 2014 Posts: 908
    @PanchitoPistoles wrote: The only thing that needs to be improved upon is the script and I feel that Bond 24 will have a better and much more unique screenplay.)[/quote]

May I ask you where this belief stems from? For all we know it were Logans additions to the script that made Skyfalls story such a unbearable intellect insulting mess.
  • SF was a very directed film and it's interesting that Mendes has a clear story about how to move that story forward. I really think this film will be akin to Nolan's Dark Knight films.

So maybe they should call it Skyfall part 2?
    This whole "has a very definite story he wants to tell" part to me is simply frightening!
  • RC7RC7
    Matt_Helm wrote:
    SF was a very directed film and it's interesting that Mendes has a clear story about how to move that story forward. I really think this film will be akin to Nolan's Dark Knight films.

So maybe they should call it Skyfall part 2?
    This whole "has a very definite story he wants to tell" part to me is simply frightening!

I'd say that's the pre-requisite of any director. Knowing the story you want to tell. Whether it'll be good, is to be seen, but I'd rather this, than having the Mendes departure and another director signing on for something they aren't fully invested in.
    Matt_Helm wrote:

What do you mean by that? I think it's great to have a director with a vision on board.
  • edited February 2014 Posts: 908
    Matt_Helm wrote:

What do you mean by that? I think it's great to have a director with a vision on board.

It would be indeed, if this Vision had something to do with logic and coherence and not having a MO that seems to consist of "Hey, I wish we had ...." like apparently with the DB5 and (I strongly suspect )Harris= MP and,and,and ...
    Matt_Helm wrote:
    Matt_Helm wrote:

It would be indeed, if this Vision had something to do with logic and coherence and not having a MO that seems to consist of "Hey, I wish we had ...." like apparently with the DB5 and (I strongly suspect )Harris= MP and,and,and ...

I wish we had Tony Gilroy....

For Bond 24 though I will have faith.

• edited February 2014 Posts: 1,021
    I am very disappointed to here that RogerDeakins won't be lensing the next Bond film. SKYFALL was superbly photographed. Maybe Mendes can convince him and we will see him return! Mendes is a master director and all of his films are beautifully shot. Even Away We Go has its moments. No matter who ends up photographing Bond 24, with Mendes in the directors chair we can certainly look forward to a great looking Bond film. AcademyAward winning cinematographer Chris Menges replaced Roger Deakins on THE READER when Deakins had to leave to photograph films that he was already commited to when THE READER shut down production. He would be an interesting choice. Usually when a director works well with a cinematographer they go with them to all sorts of projects. I'm curious as to why Deakins decided to pass on the opportunity to photograph Bond 24 and continue his working relationship with Mendes. Maybe he prefers working on smaller - less action oriented films, and we will see another Mendes/Deakins collaboration in the future. One cinematographer I would love to see behnd the camera is Janusz Kaminski - Spielbergs cinematographer since Schindlers List. He has photographed all genres and has worked on small and big action films. Munich, War Horse, Lincoln, to name a few are beautifully shot and I think he would be a good fit to Mendes' wonderful visuals.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    It looks like the story that EON is running with for Bond 24 is the idea Mendes and Logan had post Skyfall's cinematic release. This is exciting, especially since Mendes must still have a story he wants to tell with Bond.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    I'm curious as to why Deakins decided to pass on the opportunity to photograph Bond 24 and continue his working relationship with Mendes.

Deakins has already answered this.
  • It's good that Mendes has a story to tell, but I still worry this one will go too far into introspection and not have enough classic Bond action. They can work a story into it, but they can't forget about the classic elements.
    Kind of off topic but (other than SF) what's your fave cinematography in a Bod movie ?
  • Blimey. Amazing how people can get worked up over nothing.