SPECTRE Production Timeline

Comments

• SkyfallCraigSkyfallCraig Rome, Italy
    Ahahahahahahah wasn't 17 an hour ago? I felt wrong, it happens
    Nope +1 hour for GMT as British Summer Time. 007.com just posted re Goldfinger.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    nikos78 wrote: »
    antovolk wrote: »

so, coming back to the ever lasting issue of the film's UK release date, should we assume that a "pre-preview" in late October means a Nov. 6 release? otherwise, a "pre-preview" for a film that comes out Oct. 23, would require mr. Wright to keep early or mid October free in order to attend. wouldn't you say?

Lucky man.
    GUYS! ONLY FOUR MORE MONTHS! AND THEN WE'RE ALL GOING INSANE AGAIN LIKE THREE YEARS AGO :-O :-j
    And so post production gossip begins!!!! 8-}
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited July 2015 Posts: 8,113
    I wonder how long post production will take. If I remember rightly with Skyfall Mendes pressed upload the night before the premiere. I seem to recall him mentioning that he worked with his editor in coffee shops around the world. That makes the whole process sound rather enviable if you ask me.
    I wonder how long post production will take. If I remember rightly with Skyfall Mendes pressed upload the night before the premiere.

No, there was a press screening of SKYFALL on October 12 at the Odeon Leicester Square. Mendes said back then, that he finished the movie 48 hours before. That would be October 10.
    The red carpet premiere at Royal Albert Hall was on October 23.

The the movie was finished 2 weeks before the premiere.

So I think we can expect, that SPECTRE will be finished in the first week of October.
    Jan1985 wrote: »
    I wonder how long post production will take. If I remember rightly with Skyfall Mendes pressed upload the night before the premiere.

No, there was a press screening of SKYFALL on October 12 at the Odeon Leicester Square. Mendes said back then, that he finished the movie 48 hours before. That would be October 10.

So I think we can expect, that SPECTRE will be finished in the first week of October.

And still no trailer? How common is it in Hollywood to release a teaser 4 months before the official trailer itself? I have to say, I was behind this aggressive marketing strategy from the beginning but the whole thing seems to have become rather redundant. The teaser should signal the beginning of a slow build up leading up to release. So far we had the reveal, the teaser and very little else. Sure there have been tons of speculation in the press, and those production vids help pass the time, but what was the point in starting the drum roll so early if you have to maintain the same rhythm for long stretches. Things should be building, not remaining steady.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    edited July 2015 Posts: 11,139
    Believe it or not films like Kingsman, spy, UNCLE and mission impossible are unintentionally helping promote SPECTRE. The whole world knows SPECTRE is coming and what the world knows so far is that it's looking good. Combine that with the goodwill and success of SF and the other aforementioned pretenders to the throne, which are merely serving as bench warmers for the real thing; SP is actually in a very good position marketing wise.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    I agree... advanced word of mouth and word of mouth are going to sell this movie.. and yup the rest of the spy craze is leading us up to Bond.
    I seem to recall him mentioning that he worked with his editor in coffee shops around the world.

Are you sure about that? What I remember is him saying how he worked with the writers in coffee shops around the world during PRE-production. Editing a major movie in coffee shops doesn't sound very likely.
    I seem to recall him mentioning that he worked with his editor in coffee shops around the world.

Are you sure about that? What I remember is him saying how he worked with the writers in coffee shops around the world during PRE-production. Editing a major movie in coffee shops doesn't sound very likely.

He was talking about how down to the wire it was to get the film ready in time, I presume they needed the caffeine to keep focused. Anyway it's not uncommon for creative types to carry out their work In a public setting.

He was talking about how down to the wire it was to get the film ready in time, I presume they needed the caffeine to keep focused. Anyway it's not uncommon for creative types to carry out their work In a public setting.

You can't edit a film especially a major film in a coffee shop for not only technical reasons but also for legal/contractual reasons.

Its a nice thought though....

:D ~O)
    mcdonbb wrote: »

You can't edit a film especially a major film in a coffee shop for not only technical reasons but also for legal/contractual reasons.

I don't exactly see why not. There is usually free wifi available (even in rural areas) so what's stopping them. Unless there is some hazard that they could spill it on the laptop so they weren't allowed?
    I agree... advanced word of mouth and word of mouth are going to sell this movie.. and yup the rest of the spy craze is leading us up to Bond.

I just watched "Spy" and I liked it. But I also kept thinking: That Paul Feig must have loved the Daniel Craig Bond films. Because I really had a feeling this film was not only a great Bond spoof, it was a great spy/comedy/thriller that got its inspiration from the Daniel Craig era of films ;-).
  • edited July 2015 Posts: 7,500

Tell that to George Lucas and his higly advanced film studio coffee shop! ;) ~O)

Well, editing in itself seems a very complex, time-consuming and nerve-wrecking affair. I watched some extensive documentaries about the editing process for TSWLM and TWINE. And believe me....Lee Smith now gets some difficult work to do now.

Remember what Peter Hunt said after he edited YOLT? He was blunt and said: "No! I'm not going to be an editor anymore. I want to be a director now!" :-P.
    Yes I remember that too... all this coffer talk makes me want coffee right now.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited July 2015 Posts: 10,588
    128 days of filming... the same number of days filming of Skyfall took, according to Wikipedia. :-?
    So that must mean SPECTRE will be another epic length Bond film, maybe over 2 hr 30 min which would be nice. I haven't actually seen the script or anything so I don't know how long the film will be, that's just my impression.

So that must mean SPECTRE will be another epic length Bond film, maybe over 2 hr 30 min which would be nice. I haven't actually seen the script or anything so I don't know how long the film will be, that's just my impression.

In all honesty, I think with slightly longer films (less than two hours for QOS and TND) you get films that....feel rushed. I don't mind to let the characters...breathe a bit no? Look what good it did to OHMSS and CR (and in my opinion also SF). If some of the action sequences are truly memorable and also don't last too short, I think 145 or 150 mins would be a fun ride no??
  • marketto007marketto007 Brazil
    From Evren Arkali (@evren1982) on Instagram.

"Really nice gifts from Bond. It's a pleasure working with the Post Production team and everyone else who is involved in making this great looking movie."

11371972_869030156524110_792086787_n.jpg

Evren works for Vivid Rental, a company providing post-production editing systems and cutting room facilities for Feature Film & Television.

PS: The note says: "Thank you for your hard work and dedication on SPECTRE. With love and thanks, Michael & Barbara"
    From Evren Arkali (@evren1982) on Instagram.

"Really nice gifts from Bond. It's a pleasure working with the Post Production team and everyone else who is involved in making this great looking movie."

11371972_869030156524110_792086787_n.jpg

Evren works for Vivid Rental, a company providing post-production editing systems and cutting room facilities for Feature Film & Television.

PS: The note says: "Thank you for your hard work and dedication on SPECTRE. With love and thanks, Michael & Barbara"

I wonder if Marvel is doing something similar, "With love, Marvel" :-P. In all honesty, EON Productions may seem huge and big money spenders, but I really respect these gifts. It's an aspect of a typical family company that is still regarded very important. Bravo.
    Jan1985 wrote: »

And still no trailer? How common is it in Hollywood to release a teaser 4 months before the official trailer itself? I have to say, I was behind this aggressive marketing strategy from the beginning but the whole thing seems to have become rather redundant. The teaser should signal the beginning of a slow build up leading up to release. So far we had the reveal, the teaser and very little else. Sure there have been tons of speculation in the press, and those production vids help pass the time, but what was the point in starting the drum roll so early if you have to maintain the same rhythm for long stretches. Things should be building, not remaining steady.

This is exactly what I posting about earlier. There has been a void of any news from EON about SP, and it has only led to the press and the net engaging in nothing but rumor and speculation about Craig's replacement and other junk to fill the void. Some posters think they are just pacing the promo, and it will come in time. Well, SP starts press screening in about 3 months and for some favored sources even a bit earlier with a slightly unfinished film.

SWs has had 2 teasers and tons of official pictures out and HGs has had a teaser and a full trailer both out and they both open after SP. People complain about spoilers in trailers etc. but with a huge amount of film shot, they hardly have to go there for vids, or film pictures, or a new trailer or some print articles that focus on the major stars of SP (Craig, Leas, Waltz and Batista), not MP and Mendes who are of zero interest to the general audience. There is going to be a glut of promo from tons of competing films opening in the coming months that SP's marketing is going to have to compete with. Just seems weird.
    SPECTRE's marketing seems like it's pretty much on schedule with the marketing scheme they usually follow. We get a teaser trailer in the spring and then the full trailer in July, usually attached to whatever the big film that Sony/Columbia is releasing... Pixels on July 24th (could possibly be attached to Ant-Man on July 17th, though, because of the larger audience draw). Either way... we should expect it before the end of this month.

There will be tons of promotional material for SP in the coming months when sponsors like Heineken start up with their 007 TV ads, magazine spreads and interviews, announcing of the title song artist, etc., etc.
    Yes but this is not a typical Bond in a typical Bond film opening environment. It has far greater competition,particularly with other Spy films opening days and weeks around it, and if they are good with strong BO, they will impact it. Also, I don't remember another Bond that cost up to $300m sans marketing, making it's required BO floor almost twice as great as most of the recent Bonds. This Bond is not business as usual.
  • I'm getting really restless here. I need something now! A teaser, a trailer, a preview! It's been too quiet for too long...
    Yes. Me too. I'm in the advertising biz (not the entertainment end alas which is more fun), and an old adv. adage is that you never step on good press, and you always counteract negative press with something that would result in some positive coverage in appropriate venues. I'm stumped as to why EON is continuing this black out on info, when the void is getting filled with way too much counter-productive press referencing Craig getting replaced, the leaks, the budget etc. etc. It would be so easy to shut some of this down with some decent pictures, some vlogs that actually included the major stars, let along a new trailer with action sequences. Like put something positive out there to stop the junk in the press, not to mention the endless speculation in here and many other Bond and entertaining sites. Nobody has anything positive to write about because nobody has any news. They have very brief wide open avenue left to get some positive stuff out there but that window of low traffic will close very soon with an avalanche of competing film promo, but so far, nothin, nada, zip. Amazing.
    It will be there with a bang.

• RC7RC7

Length of shoot doesn't, as a rule, correlate with length of film. If you've got a logistically complex shoot day you might get a couple of shots in the can, whereas on a soundstage shooting a dialogue scene with less set ups you'll probably wrap an entire scene. That said, given the breadth of locations, set-pieces and what Mendes did with SF, I imagine it won't be a dissimilar length. It's hard to tell, even for those who've read the script, because it's almost a given that scenes have been omitted, changed, etc. I do think the studio will be keen to keep it under 2:30 again. The shorter the runtime, the more showings they can fit in.