SPECTRE Production Timeline

Comments

• CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Samuel001 wrote:
    @CraigMooreOHMSS, you should see if you can get in on Penny DreadfulI and in with the Bond crowd!

I gave it a go. I applied for a camera assistant position for when they shoot at Ardmore. I think they'll probably go for someone with more experience, though! But here's to trying.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited September 2013 Posts: 13,350
    Good for you! I'm wishing you all the best with that. I bet a quite a bit of Bond 24 information could be gleaned from being around on the set, a few rumours at least.
    doubleoego wrote:
    We had huge portions of SF taking place in London and Scotland; besides the obligatory MI6 office scenes and possibly a look at Bobd's flat (which I doubt) I really want the next few films to stay away from the UK and Ireland and I most certainly don't want to delve into connections into M's past. We've had way too much of this close, personal ties. Just send Bond overseas for a cracking adventure.

I tend to agree with this. There needs to be sharp disparity from Bond film to Bond film. A brief stop in Ireland could be okay, but as a major setting it would be too similar to Scotland. There are dozens of locations that would be more suitable for B24, IMO.

Agreed too. They should avoid repetition, so we don't feel like we are watching the same movie twice. I think they should avoid places visited in SF, so no Far East, British isles and a minimal use of London.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    oo7 wrote:
    large.jpg
    more Guinness that's where they were going wrong

News to me. (That more Guinness is wrong ...) ;) Nice pic.
    BTW after Skyfall I was hoping the sequel would involve Mallory's ira deallings and perhaps M having to trust Bond to go off the books for M would be kind of cool
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    oo7 wrote:
    large.jpg

News to me. (That more Guinness is wrong ...) ;) Nice pic.

I think he is implying that it was wrong that there wasn't any/enough Guinness.
  • Bond in Belfast or Dublin would be great. Also, Ireland has beautiful countryside, coastline and historic buildings, all just perfect for a Bond movie.

I think Ireland would be a fine location for a Bond film, either for most of the movie or just a minor section. Go for it.............!!!
  • Does anybody know whether Ireland is treated as "foreign" for intelligence purposes? Obviously, the Republic of Ireland is a separate sovereign state, but it may be grouped as UK & Ireland, and therefore under remit of MI5.

Might just have an impact on the likelihood of Bond visiting.
    AgentJM7 wrote:
    Does anybody know whether Ireland is treated as "foreign" for intelligence purposes? Obviously, the Republic of Ireland is a separate sovereign state, but it may be grouped as UK & Ireland, and therefore under remit of MI5.

Might just have an impact on the likelihood of Bond visiting.

It is a sovereign nation so it should be MI6's jurisdiction.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited September 2013 Posts: 28,694
    I would love to see Bond touch down in Ireland, and for the first time! The architecture of the location would make for amazing cinematography on the screen, and the tumultuous past relationship between the British and Irish would be an interesting theme to explore. Mallory's past involvement there is also an interesting point to note, and could offer an interesting plot for the next film if the area is featured. I am all in for Bond 24 in Ireland!

I can hear the cries of dismay now:

"What the bloody hell is Bond doin' takin' a swig of Guinness? First Heineken and now this. Have EON finally lost their damn marbles? Cubby must be rollin' in his grave..."
  • :)) at your last paragraph @OBrady!
    oo7 wrote:
    large.jpg

One of my favorite Bonds in the same room with one of my favorite beers sitting in front of a poster for one of my favorite comedies. Nice pic indeed
    bondbat007 wrote:
    oo7 wrote:
    large.jpg

One of my favorite Bonds in the same room with one of my favorite beers sitting in front of a poster for one of my favorite comedies. Nice pic indeed

Oh yeah, I hadn't noticed the 'Clerks' poster. Nice spotting!

"Biggest pair you've ever seen dingleberry!" (Clerks)
  • Those thinking the Moneypenny sidekick rumours were false may want to see this:
    http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNTExOTc5NDg0.html

Mendes's comments seem to suggest that M, Moneypenny and Q won't be sitting doing their usual jobs in Bond 24.
    Interesting
    Hmmmmm? Certainly suggests they may all be out and about in the field?
  • edited September 2013 Posts: 3,494
    I think this is a bit of an overreaction to the role of Moneypenny in the context of the comments here and a lot of what was quoted was ambiguous rather than an outright statement of fact. Wilson for example notes that the secret to the series' longevity is not to take a "if it isn't broke, don't fix it" stance, but rather to experiment a bit and make updates as the times warrant it. They don't want one dimensional characters, and there's been an established history of the support characters not being so.

Mendes on Moneypenny- "you've got Moneypenny as an agent". Yes we have. Or did. We also saw her decline the position with Bond more or less urging her to do so, and her behind a desk working for Mallory. Now they have to know that they are going too far with making their characters hypocritical on a whim just to spice up a story, and so while I do expect more screen time, that does not mean Moneypenny is going to be a sidekick anymore than M or Q. Does that mean she will be strictly limited to desk duty? Probably not, but she can be useful without getting physically involved as in shooting guns and clocking bad guys. I don't see them sending her out on missions as a regular sidekick, but they've shown she can fight a bit if she needs to in a situation. After they've had the character fantasizing on top a desk in the office, it can't possibly get any worse than that.

Mendes on Q- "he's an inventor and computer whiz". Well he was always the former. They've added computer whiz, not very convincingly just yet as obviously there are those like Silva that were better, but it is a modern world and they obviously want him to be a bit more than just a mere gadget master. We do know that unlike Llewellyn, this Q is afraid to fly so we won't see him too often out of the office, let alone country. I only hope here that Logan doesn't try to capitalize on Whishaw's real life sexuality and add an element to the character that's really unnecessary just to cater to a small segment of viewers. Gay Bond fans are going to see a Bond film anyway.

Mendes on M- All they've really done here is show that if under fire, he's quite able with his background to handle himself. I always assumed going back to Bernie Lee that he had practical experience anyway. Otherwise Craig notes that he expects Bond to "buck up" against M from time to time, which isn't really out of the norm either. M out of the office has long been established as something that happens, all the way back to FRWL "once when M and I were in Tokyo", not to mention M on a sub in Hong Kong Harbor, on the QE2, in Egypt, Venice, etc, etc.
    Time for Bond to take on the IRA cos there are still plenty of psychopaths running all over Ireland.
    any locations particularly in Ireland people would wants to see filmed in Bond 24?
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Yes, the Cliffs of Moher.
    As well as just lovely countryside.
    Those thinking the Moneypenny sidekick rumours were false may want to see this:
    http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNTExOTc5NDg0.html

Mendes's comments seem to suggest that M, Moneypenny and Q won't be sitting doing their usual jobs in Bond 24.

All I got out of that was Mendes saying that the characters they have re-introduced (or debuted in Mallory's case) during Skyfall offer great potential for interesting storylines in the future that will see the characters develop together in a meaningful way and lead to Bond lasting even longer than he already has in the eyes of cinema.
  • http://entertainment.ie/cinema/news/Is-Sam-Mendes-in-Ireland-scouting-Bond-filming-locations/219902.htm

Mendes scouting locations in Ireland?

It's likely he's there just to oversee production on Penny Dreadful
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Do we have any idea as to when filming is set to begin on Bond 24? I know directors and even Mendes have complained about the painfully short post production schedule and with Craig finishing his play in Jan/Feb next year, I just wanted to get an idea as to how long it is after his play before Craig starts filming, especially as the script has been worked on for a good whole and bearing in mind the autumn 2015 release.
    Interesting I would love for Ireland to be confirmed
    Thats so intresting Bond has never been in Ireland before. I say they film in Ireland as one of the locations. I want them to film in places they never have before. Some great spots in Canada they can go to as well
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    doubleoego wrote:
    Do we have any idea as to when filming is set to begin on Bond 24? I know directors and even Mendes have complained about the painfully short post production schedule and with Craig finishing his play in Jan/Feb next year, I just wanted to get an idea as to how long it is after his play before Craig starts filming, especially as the script has been worked on for a good whole and bearing in mind the autumn 2015 release.

If we go after the SF schedule then the filming would commence in the early November. But i think that they could, if they are all set start shooting around summertime next year and thus give Mendes and Baird (presumably he will be the editor) a longer time to cut together the film.
    MI6 in their latest report said October. So October - April could be the plan. Hopefully a slightly early finish means getting a head start on the next one, coming just two years later. We can dream...
  • edited October 2013 Posts: 4,400
    Samuel001 wrote:
    MI6 in their latest report said October. So October - April could be the plan. Hopefully a slightly early finish means getting a head start on the next one, coming just two years later. We can dream...

This seems likely to me.

Just look at the production schedule for SF that Bond 24 seems to be following very closely. Mendes had a solid script for the film by Jan 2011 and casting had already began as early as then with both Bardem and Fiennes's names coming up. Soon after in April time, Naomie's name came out. So I think that it's very likely that John Logan has finished the most recent draft of the script and I also think it may be likely that Mendes might now hire another writer to work on the movie while Logan works on his TV show (essentially to serve the same purpose Logan did on P&W's initial SF script).

SF started filming in early November, a whole two months before the CR and QOS timetable. This was particially to accommodate Craig who had to do a press tour for Dragon Tattoo. However, SF finished shooting in April. This gave Mendes an extra 2 months in the editing suite for the film.

I always thought Bond production schedules were a little rushed; most big tentpole films take around 15-18 months to turn around, Bond does all of that in 11 months. I think it's clear from SF they accommodated their schedule to make way for a more auter-driven director so I'd expect the same with Bond 24.

Production will likely begin Oct-Nov 2014.
    Skyfall was actually November - May, seven months in all, so if that's the case again, at least an October start gives them an extra month in post-production, if not two.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    If that's the case, then at least it's only one year from now, nothing more, nothing less. I'm looking forward to it. As for Ireland, I'd love seeing what they could do with it. I, too, want to see Bond go to places he's never been.