SPECTRE Production Timeline

Comments

• Excellent news that we'll be seeing more of Naomie Harris in Bond 24. I thought she was excellent in Skyfall and am pleased she'll be doing more than a few minutes of admin and flirting in the new film. I love the early films but we need to move on. If Eon had tried to keep everyting as it was in 1962 the series would have collapsed long ago.
  • pachazo wrote:
    I love the new title of this thread. Count me in with those hoping to see less screen time from M and Moneypenny but, as others have pointed out, they are probably being paid too much for that to happen.

I've been saying this. And in a film without Wright, I have to wonder if PC has pressured EON into taking a position that Harris can't be more than a token type of hire?

• RC7RC7
    pachazo wrote:
    I love the new title of this thread. Count me in with those hoping to see less screen time from M and Moneypenny but, as others have pointed out, they are probably being paid too much for that to happen.

I've been saying this. And in a film without Wright, I have to wonder if PC has pressured EON into taking a position that Harris can't be more than a token type of hire?

What do you mean Sir Henry?
  • What I mean is that in addition to having to justify Harris' paycheck with a certain amount of lines, which can only be somewhat limited if she remains in the office, perhaps EON or the studio wants to see a minority character with a meatier role period as in out in the field when not writing Wright/Leiter into the story. I'd rather see him out there as a sidekick as they've set up Moneypenny at the end of SF as not a field agent, so what Mendes is intimating is contrary to what they've set up. If that makes sense.
  • RC7RC7
    What I mean is that in addition to having to justify Harris' paycheck with a certain amount of lines, which can only be somewhat limited if she remains in the office, perhaps EON or the studio wants to see a minority character with a meatier role period as in out in the field when not writing Wright/Leiter into the story. I'd rather see him out there as a sidekick as they've set up Moneypenny at the end of SF as not a field agent, so what Mendes is intimating is contrary to what they've set up. If that makes sense.

I see what your getting at in a character sense but I find it hard to believe they'd fret over representation. There are no key characters, or characters in fact, that are non-Caucasian in QoS. I really think this PC line is a bit of unquantifiable codswallop. Anyone who thinks EON sit about deciding on how to strike an ethnic balance are missing the point IMO.
  • RC7 wrote:
    What I mean is that in addition to having to justify Harris' paycheck with a certain amount of lines, which can only be somewhat limited if she remains in the office, perhaps EON or the studio wants to see a minority character with a meatier role period as in out in the field when not writing Wright/Leiter into the story. I'd rather see him out there as a sidekick as they've set up Moneypenny at the end of SF as not a field agent, so what Mendes is intimating is contrary to what they've set up. If that makes sense.

I see what your getting at in a character sense but I find it hard to believe they'd fret over representation. There are no key characters, or characters in fact, that are non-Caucasian in QoS. I really think this PC line is a bit of unquantifiable codswallop. Anyone who thinks EON sit about deciding on how to strike an ethnic balance are missing the point IMO.

Felix Leiter. He's a key character is he not?
  • RC7RC7
    RC7 wrote:

Felix Leiter. He's a key character is he not?

Apologies. I meant non-staple. There were no new characters outside of the regulars. Perhaps we shouldn't go down this inevitable path. The fact that talk of black actors leads to a PC debate is bad enough and probably says a lot about the level of the forum at times.
  • edited September 2013 Posts: 824
    Nothing was set up at the end of Skyfall. Moneypenny is sitting at a desk in M's office. So what?. Some people over analyse and conclude much too much from very little IMO.

Naomi Harris is excellent. I'm sure she'll be great in Bond 24, hopefully in a bigger role.
  • edited September 2013 Posts: 12,837
    Not very pleased with this news at all and I really hope it turns out not to be true.

Let me start by saying that I didn't like Moneypenny in Skyfall. I like Naomi Harris but I thought she seemed really wooden as MP and I didn't like how they felt the need to give her a backstory of her being a failed field agent. It didn't help that the rest of the cast were all brilliant.

Still, the end of Skyfall to me seemed to symbolise that things would be more normal from now on. Even if Harris didn't improve, chances are she wouldn't get as big a part next time so it'd be alright. But according to this rumour that's not happening.

I don't get the logic in her being in the field again. Why is she even called Moneypenny if they're going to keep using her this way? What's the point making her a secretary at the end of SF if she's going to be in the field again anyway? And if she's not a secretary, why not just have MP behind a desk and invent a new recurring female Bond type character?

I'm getting a bit sick of the way they're using the MI6 recurring characters too. I don't want anymore of Bond yelling through his f***ing (incredibly obvious and visible) earpiece followed by quick cuts back to London where all the regulars are sitting at a computer holding Bonds hand every step of the way.

But again, what makes this news worse for me is that unlike Wishaw and Fiennes, I didn't even think she was very good in Skyfall. So more of her isn't something I'm pleased about.

I know I should've expected it, she's a fairly big name that must be getting a fair bit of money so it was likely EON would use her more, but I'm disappointed. Sorry for the rant.
    Really truly, I am not into sci fi. But I do recommend - if only one - the very first Star Wars, @thelivingroyale. It is great fun and extremely well done. You may want to try it after all.

I do like some sci fi, like the Alien films. But I've never really felt compelled to watch Star Wars even though it has people I like in it.
  • Moneyponey is sitting at a desk in M's office. So what?

So she's back to being a secretary which is why most of us thought she wouldn't be in the field with a bigger role again.
  • Moneypenny is sitting at a desk in M's office. So what?

So she's back to being a secretary which is why most of us thought she wouldn't be in the field with a bigger role again.

That scene was written to conclude Skyfall. I don't think they were sending out any messages about the next film. Was the script for Bond 24 written when that scene in M's office was written and shot? Had they even had preliminary discussions at that time?

Samuel001 wrote:
    Why do we need Moneypenny in the field when we can have Felix?

Speaking of Felix, I want Dean Norris (Hank off Breaking Bad) to play him if he's in Bond 24. I think he'd be brilliant.
    AgentJM7 wrote:
    I think some people need to calm down. As is clear from SF, Moneypenny's strengths clearly lies in administrative work. However, that doesn't mean that a) she can't be in the field b) that she's necessarily going to be the gun toting "agent" some people fear.

What I mean by this is that she can be proactive in "harming" the bad guys, and in the field, without it detracting from who the character actually is. Something I would expect any field role for Moneypenny to have is flirting with Bond. That's perhaps the most distinguishing feature of the character.
    Nothing is clear about her strengths from SF. She missed a shot that was so difficult that most shooters would have had a really hard time with it. She´s not afraid of handguns, as the shootout at M´s hearing shows. Otherwise we don´t know how well she does her job.

Even though they are both not very old, some bantering like between an old couple could be fun, while changing magazines for instance.

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Samuel001 wrote:

Speaking of Felix, I want Dean Norris (Hank off Breaking Bad) to play him if he's in Bond 24. I think he'd be brilliant.
    Let's have one Felix per Bond now please. Jeffery Wright is a great Felix, he and Craig had excellent chemistry.
  • Samuel001 wrote:
    Why do we need Moneypenny in the field when we can have Felix? We need the next film to have less cutting back to London. We're on the adventure with Bond and then taken out of it. The MI6 staff should only be supporting characters and used as such. I don't mean to sound down but this could be one area of Bond that will be kept in the films for a while.

That's true!!!
    I liked Harris in SF so much but Monepenny should always be M personal secretary, not field operative.

• RC7RC7
    edited September 2013 Posts: 10,512
    Murdock wrote:
    Samuel001 wrote:

Let's have one Felix per Bond now please. Jeffery Wright is a great Felix, he and Craig had excellent chemistry.

Yes, their chemistry is superb. They need to get him back, I think it would be my favourite casting of 24 if he returned, particularly in a more substantial role.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    I would take this with a pinch of salt I don't for one minute think MP will be leaping about with 007 taking out bad guys.

As for the return of Felix Leiter, bring it on but please some continuity stick with Wright for my money he's the best Leiter yet. No sign of being a Bond lackey for all Jack Lord's coolness in DN by the end he's bowing down to Bond's greatness. Leiter should be more Bond's equal, he's a more seasoned agent for a start or that's the way it seems in CR.
  • Wright is still EON's choice to play Leiter for the foreseeable future. He says so in an interview that was posted here a little while back that he's been told to be "on standby" to reprise the role, which can only be positive. I'm not worried about Wright being unavailable do to it with as much advance notice as they've probably given him about roughly when.

I am really looking forward to his debut on HBO's Boardwalk Empire tomorrow night as Dr. Valentin Narcisse, the crime lord of Harlem. Gonna be awesome :)
  • Wright always felt a bit bland to me. I wouldn't mind if he returned and it would be good to have some consistency but there are actors I'd prefer.

If we want a Felix that's Bonds equal then look no further than Dean Norris. Can't find a clip but watch the Breaking Bad episode where he kills the cousins. One of the most badass scenes I've ever seen.
    Baz did get a fair bit correct on Skyfall. So I would say it has a fair chance of being true? Guess only time will tell, and we certainly will not hear anything more now officially until March of next year.
    Can't find a clip

Found one but the uploader really messed it up. The music sort of ruins it and they cut out a large part of the scene so the tension before the shooting starts is gone.

• edited September 2013 Posts: 2,598
    Not very pleased with this news at all and I really hope it turns out not to be true.

Let me start by saying that I didn't like Moneypenny in Skyfall. I like Naomi Harris but I thought she seemed really wooden as MP and I didn't like how they felt the need to give her a backstory of her being a failed field agent. It didn't help that the rest of the cast were all brilliant.

Still, the end of Skyfall to me seemed to symbolise that things would be more normal from now on. Even if Harris didn't improve, chances are she wouldn't get as big a part next time so it'd be alright. But according to this rumour that's not happening.

I don't get the logic in her being in the field again. Why is she even called Moneypenny if they're going to keep using her this way? What's the point making her a secretary at the end of SF if she's going to be in the field again anyway? And if she's not a secretary, why not just have MP behind a desk and invent a new recurring female Bond type character?

I'm getting a bit sick of the way they're using the MI6 recurring characters too. I don't want anymore of Bond yelling through his f***ing (incredibly obvious and visible) earpiece followed by quick cuts back to London where all the regulars are sitting at a computer holding Bonds hand every step of the way.

But again, what makes this news worse for me is that unlike Wishaw and Fiennes, I didn't even think she was very good in Skyfall. So more of her isn't something I'm pleased about.

I know I should've expected it, she's a fairly big name that must be getting a fair bit of money so it was likely EON would use her more, but I'm disappointed. Sorry for the rant.
    Really truly, I am not into sci fi. But I do recommend - if only one - the very first Star Wars, @thelivingroyale. It is great fun and extremely well done. You may want to try it after all.

I do like some sci fi, like the Alien films. But I've never really felt compelled to watch Star Wars even though it has people I like in it.

I agree with all this.

I think they're too being unfaithful to the character too. You just don't change well established characters like this after years of them being in clearly defined roles. Fleming would be laughing his arse off about what they've done with this awful Penny backstory already.

Harris's acting in SF really is on the wooden side and she's unconvincing in her flirtations.

I wish they had have just cast some unknown but obviously talented actress in the role as Moneypenny.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited September 2013 Posts: 12,459
    More Moneypenny? Well, I have thought about this off and on since I saw Skyfall and folks started talking about it. So I do have an opinion now ... and it won't be popular on this forum. Please keep in mind I love the Bond films, through every Bond, yet I am open to some fresh new changes. And I am no longer on the fence about this:

I really like this Moneypenny a lot. I like her chemistry with Bond, I like Naomie's acting, and I do not mind more screen time for her compared to the older historically traditional Bond films. If they give her some field action, I actually am okay with that, as long as:

1) She is not made into a buffoon, seem stupid, bimbo-ish, or annoying (ala Goodnight in TMWTGG or Carver in LALD). In Skyfall, she made a bad shot - but before that, she was quite competent indeed.

2) She does not have a huge role in helping Bond. Bond is the one who does it alone and get is done when nobody else can. That is still Bond to me. But having Leiter or Moneypenny help him out in the field from time to time, within a good story, is actually fine with me. I do not want the films to be stuck in the exact same template as the older Bond films. I am happy for this to be a fresh approach - as long as it is limited in scope.

So I think this Moneypenny could be great. She could be his ally in the office, feeding him info and giving support (traditional role), and also be a reluctant field agent when needed. Reluctant because she made that one terrible mistake and it still haunts her.

Moneypenny in Skyfall was portrayed as competent, caring, and intelligent. They need to keep all of that for her character, and if it is a good part of a fine script, then yes - use her some, but not a lot, in the field at times. I am happy for Moneypenny to do at least a little more than what all the others did - mainly sit behind a desk and flirt with Bond. Especially with this actress, I am happy for her to do at more than that. This Moneypenny is intelligent and is a well rounded character already. I like that. Naomie and Daniel work very well together; they have a good chemistry.

This still leaves room for a sizzling, fine main Bond girl. Someone along the lines of Severine - by that I mean, really memorable and played by a good actress. But this time (another topic, I know), the main Bond girl needs to survive till the end and end up with Bond. That is one tradition I want back for sure.

But changing Moneypenny and Q somewhat, even having Moneypenny in the field, IN A LIMITED WAY, is not heresy to me and I think would be fine indeed considering the actress and her chemistry with Craig. I like what I was shown in Skyfall. I would welcome more Moneypenny being utilized in a slightly different way, including sometimes in the field. It is critical, though, that they (writers, director) get it right in the script.

I respect others' opinions, and appreciate respect of mine. These are just opinions, after all. I do not understand the comments saying Harris was "wooden" - but that is just our different takes on the character in Skyfall. It seems people either really felt she was flat or wooden or really liked her a lot. I thought she was great, some of her banter with Craig truly sizzled, and I am very glad she was chosen as the new Moneypenny.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    More Moneypenny? Well, I have thought about this off and on since I saw Skyfall and folks started talking about it. So I do have an opinion now ... and it won't be popular on this forum. Please keep in mind I love the Bond films, through every Bond, yet I am open to some fresh new changes. And I am no longer on the fence about this:

I really like this Moneypenny a lot. I like her chemistry with Bond, I like Naomie's acting, and I do not mind more screen time for her compared to the older historically traditional Bond films. If they give her some field action, I actually am okay with that, as long as:

1) She is not made into a buffoon, seem stupid, bimbo-ish, or annoying (ala Goodnight in TMWTGG or Carver in LALD). In Skyfall, she made a bad shot - but before that, she was quite competent indeed.

2) She does not have a huge role in helping Bond. Bond is the one who does it alone and get is done when nobody else can. That is still Bond to me. But having Leiter or Moneypenny help him out in the field from time to time, within a good story, is actually fine with me. I do not want the films to be stuck in the exact same template as the older Bond films. I am happy for this to be a fresh approach - as long as it is limited in scope.

So I think this Moneypenny could be great. She could be his ally in the office, feeding him info and giving support (traditional role), and also be a reluctant field agent when needed. Reluctant because she made that one terrible mistake and it still haunts her.

Moneypenny in Skyfall was portrayed as competent, caring, and intelligent. They need to keep all of that for her character, and if it is a good part of a fine script, then yes - use her some, but not a lot, in the field at times. I am happy for Moneypenny to do at least a little more than what all the others did - mainly sit behind a desk and flirt with Bond. Especially with this actress, I am happy for her to do at more than that. This Moneypenny is intelligent and is a well rounded character already. I like that. Naomie and Daniel work very well together; they have a good chemistry.

This still leaves room for a sizzling, fine main Bond girl. Someone along the lines of Severine - by that I mean, really memorable and played by a good actress. But this time (another topic, I know), the main Bond girl needs to survive till the end and end up with Bond. That is one tradition I want back for sure.

But changing Moneypenny and Q somewhat, even having Moneypenny in the field, IN A LIMITED WAY, is not heresy to me and I think would be fine indeed considering the actress and her chemistry with Craig. I like what I was shown in Skyfall. I would welcome more Moneypenny being utilized in a slightly different way, including sometimes in the field. It is critical, though, that they (writers, director) get it right in the script.

I respect others' opinions, and appreciate respect of mine. These are just opinions, after all. I do not understand the comments saying Harris was "wooden" - but that is just our different takes on the character in Skyfall. It seems people either really felt she was flat or wooden or really liked her a lot. I thought she was great, some of her banter with Craig truly sizzled, and I am very glad she was chosen as the new Moneypenny.

I 100% agree with this. I loved Harris as Moneypenny. You know the old saying, get out of the house for a while. I loved the nod to Casino Royale in Skyfall. Yes Bond works alone most of the time but He has worked with others before too. Dr. No (Felix and Quarrel) FRWL (Kerim Bey) Goldfinger (Felix) TB (Felix) YOLT (Tiger, Aki, Kissy) DAF (Felix) LALD (Felix and Quarrel Jr.) TMWTGG (Hip and Goodnight) Spy (Anya) and so on. We got something new from the new Q why can't we have something new for Moneypenny?

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited September 2013 Posts: 12,459
    Well, you and I and @PeterGreenhill may be the foremost 3 Musketeers for this viewpoint. Expect dissenting yowls shortly. ;)

Happy to state my feelings on this, because I do think it could be well done.
    But I respect that many others will always feel differently about Moneypenny (no matter how fine Bond 24 turns out even, and let's hope it is great).
  • retrokittyretrokitty The Couv

^^ This. Seriously.

Bond does not need a sidekick. Felix is enough of that.

The movies could do with a secretary at times but it's always seemed weird to me that they kept the same actress in the role of MP way beyond it being believable when, in fact, secretaries change all the time and that role could have been played by several actresses with different nicknames and such. But they keep some actors coming back playing different roles through the series. GAH!

I'm hoping the sidekick rumour is just that. Rumour.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I agree. I like Harris and to be fair, we didn't see much of her in character as MP the admin clark but what we did see towards the end looks promising. That being said, I don't want MP or the supporting characters to have excessive screen time but i
    Can't find a clip

Found one but the uploader really messed it up. The music sort of ruins it and they cut out a large part of the scene so the tension before the shooting starts is gone.

That music....is it from streets of rage or double dragon? Either way it sounds like classic 90s gaming music.

RE: Moneypenny, I ways wanted Samantha Morten in the role but I'm happy with Harris and I think Mendes needs to do a better job directing Harris.
  • MI-6 needs to be trustworthy again. In the latest Bond film 'Skyfall' MI-6 was already greatly damaged by outside forces (Silva) and too much travelling ('M').

Bond needs to work in a healthy environment. As Moneypenny already said herself in 'Skyfall', being not in the field suits her better. Moneypenny can have a larger role yes. But please keep her INSIDE the building.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I agree @Gustav. Keep the support staff and M home bound at MI6 HQ and on top of that, restore MI6' credibility as an intelligence organisation tackling the nonsense of the world and not dealing with traitors, double agents and disgruntled employees. It's been overplayed.
  • Anyway, I’d love to see her return to the field in Bond 24. It just has to be more convincing than a one-line “Well, all of MI6′s agents are dead. Again. Moneypenny, I know you swore you’d never return to the field, but we need you to become Bond’s partner so we can provide him with a strong yet stock female character who serves the story as a forced intellectual challenge to 007 instead of a mere physical throwaway.”

TI