SPECTRE Production Timeline

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited November 2014 Posts: 23,883
    Yes, but that predated his Bond days, which is kind of my point. He did good work on those movies. Godzilla was quite good (I watched it on 4K recently - stunning in that format) despite the movie's flaws.
    I personally would be very happy with Zimmer. He seems one of the most adaptable and talented composers around. He seems to be able to work with almost any genre and provide excellent scores IMO. 12 Years a Slave was another recent one of his that really stood out for me.

But I assume this is 100% pure speculation?
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    And Zimmer was a much better composer before his Nolan days. I don't see why that means Arnold would be dumped by EON. Most of his scores are well received. He's a lot better than Zimmer too.
    Better maybe, but he has been critically well received for these newer scores, (Golden Globe noms, Oscar noms etc.) no?

Arnold has not.

Anyway, you can probably tell I would prefer it not be Arnold. I'll admit to not being a fan of his as I think he's been very inconsistent during his tenure.
  • edited November 2014 Posts: 11,425
    bondjames wrote: »
    Better maybe, but he has been critically well received for these newer scores, (Golden Globe noms, Oscar noms etc.) no?

Arnold has not.

Anyway, you can probably tell I would prefer it not be Arnold. I'll admit to not being a fan of his as I think he's been very inconsistent during his tenure.

I thought the CR and QoS scores were pretty decent.

Fans of Brosnan may be interested know that Zimmer cowrote the score for Taffin.
    Agreed on CR & QoS in particular. TND was a pretty good start too. I just don't think his personal best work has been done on this series and that may be something EON considers.

It's difficult to say that about Newman when he wins gets nominated for (thanks for correcting me @PanchitoPistoles) the Oscar for it (no matter what you think of the score or whether he should have won the award). I think EON is chasing critical success these days, more so than they were.
    It's difficult to say that about Newman when he wins the Oscar for it (no matter what you think of the score). I think EON is chasing critical success these days, more so than they were.

Newman has never won an Oscar in his life. He was "only" nominated for Skyfall.
    Zimmer was excellent in the 80's. His score to Black Rain being a masterpiece. Nowadays, he's on autopilot and just slightly editing music he's already wrote to sound slightly different. There's no inspiration.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Hasn't David Arnold confirmed Thomas Newman for Bond 24 on numerous occasions (although he may just be assuming).
    http://i.imgur.com/fhWeCxy.jpg
    Newman has never won an Oscar in his life. He was "only" nominated for Skyfall.

You're correct. My bad. But at least he got the nomination.
    I personally just hope Newman doesn't want to do it. Then I'd be fine with Arnold or Zimmer. Or someone new, as long as they have a bit more energy about them. Found Newman underwhelming.
    "Getafix wrote:
    Found Newman underwhelming.

It was his first one. I think he could get better, but he has to want it. Bond is not for guys on autopilot. If he doesn't want it, then yes, bring someone else on.
    "Getafix wrote:

It was his first one. I think he could get better, but he has to want it. Bond is not for guys on autopilot. If he doesn't want it, then yes, bring someone else on.

My thoughts precisely. Newman is obviously a talented guy, but he doesn't seem to have much range. Listening to a few of his scores the other day I was thinking how samey quite a lot of them were. Sort of ambient dreamy music. Never much tension or excitement.
    Getafix wrote: »
    "Getafix wrote:

My thoughts precisely. Newman is obviously a talented guy, but he doesn't seem to have much range. Listening to a few of his scores the other day I was thinking how samey quite a lot of them were. Sort of ambient dreamy music. Never much tension or excitement.

That's how I feel with Zimmer's scores.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    I was actually the first to ask Arnold when there was a rumour he was coming back. He answered back the exact same way he answered @Marketto007 a few months later (copy-paste). Take that as you wish. I know if he was asked he would return.
    These past few months he's been extra busy with the musical "Made in Dagenham", staring Gemma Arterton, which opened yesterday to stellar reviews. Who knows what's he's doing between now and the time he re-starts on Sherlock's new series!
  • edited November 2014 Posts: 6,844
    He also met with Mendes prior to Skyfall and amicably agreed with Mendes's wish to use Newman, so there's no bad blood there. And Arnold has only ever said he would love to continue scoring Bond films. Plus Mendes himself about-faced with Purvis and Wade after replacing them on Skyfall and asked them back for B24. I think Arnold is the most likely choice if not Newman.

I just have a feeling that with Newman winning the Oscar (and Adele too), they may go in another direction rather than backwards if they can't get him again. They're pushing the envelope in other artistic areas (cinematography in particular), so they may do so with the composer as well. Perhaps it's wishful thinking on my part, but it's also a feeling I have.

Some would say rehiring Arnold would be a "return to form" rather than "moving backwards." ;) But I understand what you're saying with pushing the envelope in terms of hiring more critically-lauded talent. Overall, I champion the recent effort to build a more artistically-minded crew. While not someone I personally would consider for scoring a Bond film, Alexandre Desplat is hot at the moment and recently scored a major genre film with Godzilla.

But I do still believe Arnold is a big enough part of the Bond family that he will definitely return some day.
    Agreed on Zimmer in particular. Very samey scores. However, when he gets it right, it rocks.

As I said at the start, I'm really looking forward to the selection of composer and am hoping for someone new. It's like waiting for the introduction of a new Bond for me in a way as the music is so important to my enjoyment of the movie.

If it's Arnold, I'll lick my wounds and hope he brings his 'A' game. He's capable but his inconsistency and somewhat noisey action scoring (I'm a connoisseur of Barry's finesse in this area and even preferred Newman's action scores in SF) for the most part troubles me.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    More news please.
    If Zimmer does bring his A game, it would be a very good score.

I don't know if I would say the same for Newman, none of whose scores particularly stand out for me.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    The producers, from what I can tell, are still very positive about Arnold. Newman first came on board due to his association with Mendes, who really wanted him. I'm quite happy for Arnold to return (he was growing and getting better and he knows the Bond sound) or someone new.

I'm happy the new musical, "Made in Dagenham" with Gemma and with David Arnold's music, is getting strong, even glowing reviews. :) Good for both of them!
    I have heard Alexandre Desplat's name been mentioned before as a possible choice. I don't know much about him but really liked his Zero Dark Thirty score.

I'm pretty sure there are plenty of guys out there who would love to get their hands on James Bond. It's the job of a lifetime with a rich history and can builld (or break) a career.... It's such an important part of the movie that EON really should ensure that the composer has more time to do their job. I hear that they are sometimes very rushed, like they are part of a 'B' team.

If true, that's wrong when it comes to something very creative which can impact the movie's resonance IMO.
  • Ludovico wrote: »
    Oh I thought you meant Italy and Morocco will be more so. My bet: OHMSS will freely inspire the movie.

No, really Austria. I mean, if you film there from November till February....with or without cast.....with 2nd unit or without 2nd unit......with or without 1st unit......or both....it'll be big anyway.
    I have heard Alexandre Desplat's name been mentioned before as a possible choice. I don't know much about him but really liked his Zero Dark Thirty score.

I'm pretty sure there are plenty of guys out there who would love to get their hands on James Bond. It's the job of a lifetime with a rich history and can really builld (or break) a career.... It's such an important part of the movie that EON really should ensure that the composer has more time to really do their job. I hear that they are sometimes very rushed, like they are part of a 'B' team. That's wrong when it comes to something very creative that can impact the movie's resonance IMO.

Like Newman 'not having enough time' to incorporate Adele's song theme?
  • edited November 2014 Posts: 11,119
    jake24 wrote: »
    Hasn't David Arnold confirmed Thomas Newman for Bond 24 on numerous occasions (although he may just be assuming).
    http://i.imgur.com/fhWeCxy.jpg

You're damn right so. On two occasions on Twitter he excluded himself personally, saying that Sam Mendes will go with Thomas Newman.

I want to say something about Hans Zimmer though. It annoys me how people on this forum treat his work. Just came back from "Interstellar". And although the movie....did not do it for me completely (Nolan really wants to explain too much. Exploration in this movie is too much driven by love and emotions....while I hoped that love and emotion would be more driven by exploration. I hoped that exploration created the emotions, the love, and the sense of wonders of our universe....not the other way around. Nolan should make us wonder more, instead of explaining way too much with science), the music was stunning. Kubrick-esque. I loved the use of organs in Zimmer's score, which actually did enhance the sense and wonder of the visual experience (the actual story at times left me a bit cold).

It was intimate at small, personal moments....and very climatic in an emotional kind of way during key explorative moments in the films. I think this could earn Hans Zimmer the 1st Oscar nomination since 2014. In a way it reminded me of John Barry's more emotional scores ("Dances With Wolves", "Out Of Africa") and also Philip Glass'es repertoire. In one word: Stunning scoring. And having heard him, I really don't mind Hans Zimmer to do Bond 24. Although I really think it'll be Thomas Newman's job again, like David Arnold twittered on two occasions.

One word about the cinematography of this movie: FUCKING STUNNING! Sorry for the words, but I was actually thinking on many occasions during "Interstellar".....give van Hoytema more time.....make his shots longer and longer. Space has never looked so stunning ever since Stanley Kubrick. The sheer size
    of our wun-der-ful planet Saturn still amazes me.
    God, I would die to go on a one-way ticket to see that planet :-). Not only that, but
    the two extrasolar planets that the crew is discovering really looked stunning...cold, but stunning. And the Arthur C. Clarke-esque Rama-like Saturn station from the inside.
    Christopher Nolan? Why didn't you gave us more shots!! Anyway, I think our Dutch Hoyte will win an ASC-award for this for sure......and also an Oscar.

Dear Bond fans? We should be very damn lucky that Mr van Hoytema will operate the camera end of this month or next month...for Bond 24.
    I want to say something about Hans Zimmer though. It annoys me how people on this forum treat his work.
    People are entitled to their opinions.
    "Getafix wrote:
    Like Newman 'not having enough time' to incorporate Adele's song theme?

If that's true about him not giving a toss about incorporating the main song theme, then it's inexcusable.

I just read a filmmusicmag interview online where he somewhat casually comments on channelling Barry for Severine's theme (which I really loved by the way, much more than Vesper's theme). He should have done that more in my opinion. Having read the article, I sense that he does not have the right level of respect for the franchise's history to really give me something I would like going forward - although based on the evidence of SF, he definitely has the talent to give me something I could like. So he's probably not the right guy then.

Arnold is the opposite for me. He obviously has reverence for the franchise and is definitely chanelling Barry.... Just not as well IMO - so it always sounds like a 3rd rate Barry (is there such a thing?) score to me
  • Murdock wrote: »
    I want to say something about Hans Zimmer though. It annoys me how people on this forum treat his work.

I know. But I am also entitled to be annoyed at times no? Or not :-)? The verb "annoying" is by no means a word that should insult people. On the contrary. It is my feeling. And I really wanted to say that...
    Murdock wrote: »

I know. But I am also entitled to be annoyed at times no? Or not :-)? The verb "annoying" is by no means a word that should insult people. On the contrary. It is my feeling. And I really wanted to say that...
    I never saw it an insult. :p
  • Murdock wrote: »
    Murdock wrote: »

I never saw it an insult. :p

Hehe, just a bit worried you were :-P. But in any case..... You should really see "Interstellar". Certainly worth a couple of bucks.
    Interstellar (looking forward to seeing Van Hoytema's work in anticipation of B24) and Nightcrawler are on my list for this week.