SPECTRE Production Timeline

Comments

• ColonelSun wrote: »
    Matt_Helm wrote: »
    ColonelSun wrote: »

If you take into account all the possibilities at dream scenario gives you it is actually quite easy to write a surprising/suspenseful script around it.

You think it's "quite easy" to write a screenplay like Inception? Seriously? Give it a go.

I think it's a whole lot easier than to write something restrained by the laws of reality and logic. Of course I do!

Strict laws and story rules must be created by the story-teller when dealing with any ideas or concepts outside so-called reality (such as fantasy, otherworldly, sci-fi concepts, magical, spiritual, dream states, or altered states etc.), so to believe Inception does not have its own rules and story logic to support and contain its central concept and themes is not true - and creating such rules takes time, deep thought, and is far harder than telling a story set within so-called everyday life/reality which most of us experience in a very similar way and therefore such laws of logic and reality (as you call them) do not require the viewer to believe in something outside their normal experience. But many stories do need to convince the audience or reader to suspend disbelief in some fashion, as Inception does on a grand scale. Inception explores dream-state in a very unique way. That took a lot of thinking about. Any screenwriter or filmmaker, or anyone else who has played around with trying to turn dream logic (or such like) into a coherent and dramatic narrative, understands that.

Still they did nothing the Nightmare movies haven't done decades ago in a maximum entertaining way and with a minimum of money (and I write this as someone, who has only very very little time for splatter movies). Also, if one is creating his own rules and realities he's always able to tweak them to his liking, if the story hits a wall.
  • edited November 2014 Posts: 11,425
    This discussion seems a bit circular. I'm sure we can all agree that coming up with a good story and writing great dialogue is pretty damn hard, whether it's set in a 'real' of fantasy world. Infact, the evidence of most of the post-Maibaum Bond movies suggests that it's nigh on impossible...

I doubt very much that Nolan was rehashing Nightmare on Elm Street when he wrote Inception (although, who knows, he is a child of the 80s), but even if he was, not sure this matters. There are very few truly original stories - most film plots are derivative in some way.
    And Fleming rewrote Dracula writing OHMSS.

And talking of OHMSS, any elements from the novel they might reuse in Bond 24? We know it is likely to have a snowy setting.
    They will start the two week rehearsal in about two weeks! Will they be able two keep the identity of the actor playing the villain and the actress playing the main Bond girl a secret during this two weak rehearsal process? I doubt it but we'll see.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    Ludovico wrote: »

And talking of OHMSS, any elements from the novel they might reuse in Bond 24? We know it is likely to have a snowy setting.

Excellent point and excellent question. Re. the second, there is not an awful lot left to adapt from OHMSS from what I can remember. The killing of the guard with a hiden razor to escape Piz Gloria, however, always struk me as something Craig's Bond would do.
    On a side note can anyone imagine the uproar they ever put Bond on a beach remembering his childhood holiday memories collecting shells, his mother telling him he can't take them, sand between his toes? /:)
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    edited November 2014 Posts: 4,312
    Since no other actresses have been leaked up until now, what do people think are the chances for Penelope Cruz and/or Joanne Froggat to be part of Bond 24?

From the lack of more actress news and the little time remaining it seems that the search has been over for a while now. Froggat is the only British actress that had been rumored with credibility, and to satisfy the "Bond girl/eye candy" argument we have Sedoux. And the Cruz rumor has been about ever since SF.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    I don't give any credit to the Cruz rumours. I think Froggat may well be in Bond 24 but as a Bond girl? I'm not so sure and Froggat herself has said she's not Bond girl material. She might have some other role, why not? She's a talented actress.
    I think is are controlling the leakages rather well this time. We haven't had any major rumour for a couple of weeks, perhaps this is the week for another cirurgical news placement /:) Let's hope it is so, there is dire need of something concrete to discuss.
  • Ludovico wrote: »

I won't buy this theory in a zillion years!
  • edited November 2014 Posts: 11,119
    zebrafish wrote: »
    Since no other actresses have been leaked up until now, what do people think are the chances for Penelope Cruz and/or Joanne Froggat to be part of Bond 24?

From the lack of more actress news and the little time remaining it seems that the search has been over for a while now. Froggat is the only British actress that had been rumored with credibility, and to satisfy the "Bond girl/eye candy" argument we have Sedoux. And the Cruz rumor has been about ever since SF.

I think it's more simple really. For this 24th Bond production EON Productions manages much better to keep things secret.....compared to "Skyfall". As a complete utter crazy Bond-nerd I'm saddened by this :-P.

At this stage, for the leading Bond-girl role, you can write down so many names:
    --> Penelope Cruz
    --> Marion Cotillard
    --> Keira Knightley
    --> Rachel Weisz
    --> Natalie Portman
    --> Jessica Chastain
    --> Robin Wright
    --> Tilda Swinton
    My gut feeling tells me, that this time they want to have a bigger name for the leading Bond girl role.....

This article just came in, and says that the leading Bond girl is for Penelope Cruz:
    http://www.kdramastars.com/articles/50260/20141104/bond-24-2015-names-penelope-cruz-and-dave-bautista-as-bond-girl-and-bond-villain.htm
  • Getafix wrote: »
    This discussion seems a bit circular. I'm sure we can all agree that coming up with a good story and writing great dialogue is pretty damn hard, whether it's set in a 'real' of fantasy world. Infact, the evidence of most of the post-Maibaum Bond movies suggests that it's nigh on impossible...

I doubt very much that Nolan was rehashing Nightmare on Elm Street when he wrote Inception (although, who knows, he is a child of the 80s), but even if he was, not sure this matters. There are very few truly original stories - most film plots are derivative in some way.

Just for the record - I never meant to imply,that Nolan rehashed Nightmare. All I said was, that the "is it a dream or reality " has been done before quite originally and effective. Still I would insist,that it is easier (which doesn't mean easy) to write something in which you can bend and tweak your own rules and realities. All in all I have to admit hardly remembering anything happening in Inception apart from three,four scenes ( which in itself is not a good sign,since I tend to have a very good memory,especially when it comes to movies and books).
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    edited November 2014 Posts: 1,756
    I think it's more simple really. For this 24th Bond production EON Productions manages much better to keep things secret.....compared to "Skyfall". As a complete utter crazy Bond-nerd I'm saddened by this :-P.

At this stage, for the leading Bond-girl role, you can write down so many names:
    --> Penelope Cruz
    --> Marion Cotillard
    --> Keira Knightley
    --> Rachel Weisz
    --> Natalie Portman
    --> Jessica Chastain
    --> Robin Wright
    --> Tilda Swinton
    --> Emily Blunt
    My gut feeling tells me, that this time they want to have a bigger name for the leading Bond girl role.....

Marion Cotillard would seem like a good choice since she isn't famous enough to be recognized by name, but people have seen her around before. Same with Tilda Swinton, but she doesn't have the look and appeal like a Bond girl should have.

"For starters, Daniel Radcliffe has already confirmed his return to play the iconic role of 007. "

1274465753023_zps85f756a0.gif~c200

Read my thread about it. Whether it was conscious or not is debatable, but the similarities are numerous and important. There is very likely an influence.
    Getafix wrote: »

Just for the record - I never meant to imply,that Nolan rehashed Nightmare. All I said was, that the "is it a dream or reality " has been done before quite originally and effective. Still I would insist,that it is easier (which doesn't mean easy) to write something in which you can bend and tweak your own rules and realities. All in all I have to admit hardly remembering anything happening in Inception apart from three,four scenes ( which in itself is not a good sign,since I tend to have a very good memory,especially when it comes to movies and books).

You are right about Inception. I remember it looking good, but the plot kind of disappeared up its own rear end after a while. There are Hitcockian elements to it as well. The guy going slightly mad trying to get over the loss of his wife is reminiscent of Vertigo as well. Oh, and Shutter Island, another Hithcock homage, featuring Leo.

I do remember Inception looking great though. I'd love some of the production design flair in a Bond movie. Not too much, but just a beautifully designed villain's lair or something like that. A real shame I think that they never invited Ken Adam back after MR. Although perhaps by then his sets had become a little bit self-parody.
  • marketto007marketto007 Brazil

"For starters, Daniel Radcliffe has already confirmed his return to play the iconic role of 007. "

1274465753023_zps85f756a0.gif~c200

:))

--> Penelope Cruz
    --> Marion Cotillard
    --> Keira Knightley
    --> Rachel Weisz
    --> Natalie Portman
    --> Jessica Chastain
    --> Robin Wright
    --> Tilda Swinton

This article just came in, and says that the leading Bond girl is for Penelope Cruz:
    http://www.kdramastars.com/articles/50260/20141104/bond-24-2015-names-penelope-cruz-and-dave-bautista-as-bond-girl-and-bond-villain.htm

I have long been a fan of P Cruz (Jamon Jamon anyone?) but I find her English speaking performances almost invariably awful.
  • Ludovico wrote: »

Read my thread about it. Whether it was conscious or not is debatable, but the similarities are numerous and important. There is very likely an influence.

I have read your thread, but sorry I think you are overanalysing.
  • Getafix wrote: »
    Getafix wrote: »

I do remember Inception looking great though. I'd love some of the production design flair in a Bond movie. Not too much, but just a beautifully designed villain's lair or something like that. A real shame I think that they never invited Ken Adam back after MR. Although perhaps by then his sets had become a little bit self-parody.

I absolutely agree on this point. Especially the battle in the mountain scenery was a feast for my eyes.

I have read your thread, but sorry I think you are overanalysing.

And you're wrong. The evidence is there, I did not invent the similarities. Blofeld is even explicitly compared to Dracula in YOLT. No need to overanalyse, only to analyse the texts.
    @ Gustav Graves

Any news from the hotel in Lienz?
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service

I have read both novels and I can't see any similarity between them. Yes, I did saw the specific thread on the boards about the question "OHMSS/Dracula", but it feels too much forced to me.
    Walecs wrote: »

I have read both novels and I can't see any similarity between them. Yes, I did saw the specific thread on the boards about the question "OHMSS/Dracula", but it feels too much forced to me.

And yet the similarities are there. Maybe rewrote is too strong a word, but there are influences. In YOLT both characters are explicitly compared.
    Walecs wrote: »

And yet the similarities are there. Maybe rewrote is too strong a word, but there are influences. In YOLT both characters are explicitly compared.

Why don't you quote the passage you are refering to. It would add weight to what you're saying and would be interesting to see.
    I don't have a copy here and I'm at work, but others have pointed it out on my thread. It is in chapter 8.

In any case, even with no explicit mentions in the subsequent novel, the similarities are still there. Blofeld and Dracula share very similar projects and personalities and Harker and Bond also have similar roles.
    I don't have a copy here and I'm at work, but others have pointed it out on my thread. It is in chapter 8.

In any case, even with no explicit mentions in the subsequent novel, the similarities are still there. Blofeld and Dracula share very similar projects and personalities and Harker and Bond also have similar roles.

It sounds reasonably convincing to me. It's almost impossible to come up with something entirely new.
    keep-calm-and-stay-on-topic-3.png
    Yes I invite anyone wishing to discuss the Dracula connection to visit and comment on my thread.
    Since we know a bit about the settings, do you think there is anything from the novels they could use in regard to that? Or in regard to the casting rumours?
    Well i have to say i have to say? Credit to EON on so far achieving the polar opposite in terms of news on Bond 24 compared to Skyfall. Clearly they have checked their seals! ;)
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    :)) Yes, they Don't have a leak !