The name's 25. Bond 25, or rather, it's NTTD.

Comments

ToTheRight wrote: »
    NicNac wrote: »
    echo wrote: »
    Bond titles are notoriously difficult to come up with, and it is here where Fleming always shone.

The only Fleming title left that might hint at Craig's last mission is "The Property of A Lady."

If they don't go with one of the three or four Fleming titles left (but is 007 in New York really a Fleming title? Discuss), I wouldn't mind a "The Man..." kind of title.

Maybe "The Man Who Was A Spy"? Something provocative and about Bond himself, and evoking the end of Craig's tenure.

"Once Upon A Spy" was a good idea. Maybe "Once A Spy"? "Once A Spy, Always A Spy"? "Once Bitten, Twice Spy"?

The line between mysterious and cheesy is very thin. See how hard this is? None of us are Fleming.

And yet let's face it, we fans will grow to love whatever title they come up with. The only one in retrospect that I still don't love is Licence To Kill. Just too generic. I also wouldn't like James Bond or 007 for that same reason.

Yes, Licence Revoked would have been much better.
    For that matter Tomorrow Never Lies sounded better to me than the typo we ended up with.

There is always the danger of trying to come up with a typical Fleming title and ending with some poor parody.

The best I've seen for a long while was Everything Or Nothing which was tossed away on a bloody game.

I really liked the LICENCE REVOKED title as well as TOMORROW NEVER LIES.
    Maybe some day we'll get EVERYTHING OR NOTHING?
    THE PROPERTY OF A LADY is still my favorite remaining Fleming title, though I love RISICO, also. I feel THE HILDEBRAND RARITY would have been cool. I think using that Hildebrand as the safe house kind of jinxed it for eventually becoming a film title.

Why? Bond 25 could feature some important item from that place.

Good point. I suppose I felt similar to Eon having a villain named Colonel Moon in DAD. To me that felt like it lessened the chances of us ever getting a COLONEL SUN adaptation.
    I'd love THR as a film title. Actually all of the remaining short story titles would be fine with me, though if 007 in NEW YORK were adapted, I'd just call it THRILLING CITIES.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited January 2019 Posts: 5,969
    Bond titles are notoriously difficult to come up with, and it is here where Fleming always shone.

The only Fleming title left that might hint at Craig's last mission is "The Property of A Lady."

If they don't go with one of the three or four Fleming titles left (but is 007 in New York really a Fleming title? Discuss), I wouldn't mind a "The Man..." kind of title.

Maybe "The Man Who Was A Spy"? Something provocative and about Bond himself, and evoking the end of Craig's tenure.

"Once Upon A Spy" was a good idea. Maybe "Once A Spy"? "Once A Spy, Always A Spy"? "Once Bitten, Twice Spy"?

The line between mysterious and cheesy is very thin. See how hard this is? None of us are Fleming.

And yet let's face it, we fans will grow to love whatever title they come up with. The only one in retrospect that I still don't love is Licence To Kill. Just too generic. I also wouldn't like James Bond or 007 for that same reason.

For that matter Tomorrow Never Lies sounded better to me than the typo we ended up with.

There is always the danger of trying to come up with a typical Fleming title and ending with some poor parody.

The best I've seen for a long while was Everything Or Nothing which was tossed away on a bloody game.

THE PROPERTY OF A LADY is still my favorite remaining Fleming title, though I love RISICO, also. I feel THE HILDEBRAND RARITY would have been cool. I think using that Hildebrand as the safe house kind of jinxed it for eventually becoming a film title.

Good point. I suppose I felt similar to Eon having a villain named Colonel Moon in DAD. To me that felt like it lessened the chances of us ever getting a COLONEL SUN adaptation.
    I'd love THR as a film title. Actually all of the remaining short story titles would be fine with me, though if 007 in NEW YORK were adapted, I'd just call it THRILLING CITIES.

I also would like to see THR adapted faithfully. It's just different. And it's time for a yacht again. Maybe the mention in SP could be an Easter egg for a future film.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

007 IN THE THRILLING CITY NEW YORK
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    edited January 2019 Posts: 12,996
    The presence of Hildebrand in Spectre could anticipate its use as the film title. I agree, definitely.

007 IN THE THRILLING CITY NEW YORK

Or 007 In The Thrilling City of New York. Make the title as long as possible while they're at it, just as a contrast to the one word "S" titles.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    See 007 In The Thrilling City of New York.

S0ITTCoNY, for short.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    It's true, Madeline's involvement in Bond 25 does put Property of a Lady on the table as a potential title.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    See 007 In The Thrilling City of New York.

S0ITTCoNY, for short.

No thanks. It starts with an S.
    SPECIAL AGENT 007 IN NEW YORK AND OTHER THRILLING CITIES
    Very Special Secret Agent 007 James Bond in New York and Other Thrilling Cities.
  • There's a chapter in The Spy Who Loved Me called To Sleep - Perchance to Die! Which is the same 'play on a saying' as You Only Live Twice and Live and Let Die. I keep thinking there must be a saying that one could bastardize. But when I try, they all sound silly.
    shamanimal wrote: »
    There's a chapter in The Spy Who Loved Me called To Sleep - Perchance to Die! Which is the same 'play on a saying' as You Only Live Twice and Live and Let Die. I keep thinking there must be a saying that one could bastardize. But when I try, they all sound silly.

It would be fun if they could play around with a saying. Certainly feels more creative to me than another "S" word title.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    I'm actually quite scared for the announcement. That tense moment when it's revealed and the possibility of it being really bad and knowing they have to stick with it. They've not let us down so far so fingers crossed :D
    Denbigh wrote: »
    I'm actually quite scared for the announcement. That tense moment when it's revealed and the possibility of it being really bad and knowing they have to stick with it. They've not let us down so far so fingers crossed :D

Exactly. Let's not hope it's called BOND. The upcoming Die hard entry is apparently just called McCLANE. Almost as awful and unoriginal a title as JASON BOURNE.

Exactly. Let's not hope it's called BOND. The upcoming Die hard entry is apparently just called McCLANE. Almost as awful and unoriginal a title as JASON BOURNE.

That would really be lame.

• QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Of the four remaining titles, I much prefer Risico, and expect them to use that before the other three. Always loved Benson's Zero Minus Ten.

There's some great game titles too: Agent Under Fire, NightFire, EON, BloodStone or maybe even Operation Stealth/The Stealth Affair.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    QBranch wrote: »
    Of the four remaining titles, I much prefer Risico, and expect them to use that before the other three. Always loved Benson's Zero Minus Ten.[/i].

I agree @QBranch, I think Risico is easily adapted to the films. It can be anything they want it be, as long as it has some main connection.
  • echo wrote: »
    "Once Upon A Spy" was a good idea.

I'd love Once Upon a Spy to appear as a Bond title one day. I think it's probably the closest I've ever heard an original title come to Fleming.

Everything Or Nothing should definitely still be used as well. That would give me a real thrill, seeing that one revealed.
    There's a chapter in The Spy Who Loved Me called To Sleep - Perchance to Die! Which is the same 'play on a saying' as You Only Live Twice and Live and Let Die.

Perchance to Die would make for a very cool Fleming-inspired film title, too. The more sophisticated, at times even poetic, nature of the James Bond titles is one of the things that has set these films apart from the crowd—the odd Octopussy aside. I hope the producers continue to aim high.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    I think Everything or Nothing is a bit too self-indulgent, seeing as they have the video game and the documentary. Or more importantly the name of the company that is behind it.
  • I like Perchance to Die and Once Upon a Spy, but they're quite 'old school' sounding, and I don't think they'd go with it. I think they'll have another 'codename' type title, like Fallout, Spectre or Skyfall. Something in vogue.
  • edited January 2019 Posts: 17,274

Since Fukunaga is a fan of AVTAK (and perhaps Stacey Sutton), what about Jaaaaames! ?
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible

Since Fukunaga is a fan of AVTAK (and perhaps Stacey Sutton), what about Jaaaaames! ?

Octotchaikovsky
    mattjoes wrote: »

Octotchaikovsky

Hahaha, would love to see how they'd include that in the theme song lyrics! :-D

If he wants to homage his all time favorite Bond film cleverly how about:

A LITTLE SOAP HERE, A LITTLE SOAP THERE ?
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    "Once Upon A Spy" was a good idea.
    I'd love Once Upon a Spy to appear as a Bond title one day. I think it's probably the closest I've ever heard an original title come to Fleming.
    This is one of the best titles I can recall reading on this thread. Playful, witty, instantly memorable. Would work as a title for an individual film while also describing the entire Bond saga, kind of like "Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang."

There's a chapter in The Spy Who Loved Me called To Sleep - Perchance to Die! Which is the same 'play on a saying' as You Only Live Twice and Live and Let Die.
    I like it.

---

"A Whisper of Love, a Whisper of Hate" is too long a title, but I would enjoy the title "A Whisper of Hate."
  • DoctorNoDoctorNo USA-Maryland
    Risico sounds like a title Cary Fukunaga would like. If Sicario is any influence. Many Fleming chapter titles to choose from.

My favorite non Fleming title is Devil May Care ( though not really a fan of the book. Faulks was reading Fleming I believe who used the expression in one of the books so it’s in the Fleming vernacular of liked phrases).

Gardner actually had some good titles... For Special Services, Icebreaker, Role of Honor, Scorpius (a great one), Win Lose or Die not too bad though it sounds like Die Hard sequel at this point.
    DoctorNo wrote: »
    Risico sounds like a title Cary Fukunaga would like. If Sicario is any influence. Many Fleming chapter titles to choose from.

My favorite non Fleming title is Devil May Care ( though not really a fan of the book. Faulks was reading Fleming I believe who used the expression in one of the books so it’s in the Fleming vernacular of liked phrases).

Gardner actually had some good titles... For Special Services, Icebreaker, Role of Honor, Scorpius (a great one), Win Lose or Die not too bad though it sounds like Die Hard sequel at this point.

Win, Lose or Die Hard.
  • DoctorNoDoctorNo USA-Maryland
    Exactly, ha.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    There is a good chance (~60%) That the film is named something useless like Bond or 007
    If they're going to have Bond's name in the title, they might as well make it comedic.

How about......................

WELL HELLO, JIM?