Felix Leiter should remain the same actor

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I have no problem with Wright being the sole connective tissue when they eventually recast, rather than Harris, Fiennes or Whishaw. Damn fine actor.
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    +1
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Kind of like the new David Hedison.
    Come on enough of change actors. Jeffrey Wrights should be first actor to protray Felix Leiter more then twice.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    My one hope regarding the return of Felix is that there's a little more camaraderie and friendliness between the two. I got a pretty cold feeling between Bond and Felix in CR and QoS, like they were trying to be superior to one another the whole time.
  • I like Wright as an actor and don't terribly mind his dynamic with Craig's Bond; it's just his Leiter in no way resembles the Leiter of the books, which would be really nice to see at some point. Wright's Leiter is gloomy and dour, a man of few words and serious expressions. Fleming's Leiter is wise-cracking and fun-loving, athletic, and down to business when he needs to be.
  • edited June 2017 Posts: 170
    delete
    Wright has been a fantastic Felix. Also, given his prominent rise in shows like Broadwalk Empire and his magnificent turn in Westworld, it seems that he is ideally placed to return to the role of Felix in a future film.

If that character is in the script for the next Bond film and Daniel Craig is still in the lead role – then only Wright can play him.

However….I always loved the lack of continuity when it came to casting the role. Sometimes Leiter would be an athletic young man, only to turn into an overweight middle-aged gent. Then of course, we had an African-American actor play the part. The role of “Leiter” is basically a stock name given to a generic CIA character we are told has a previous relationship with Bond. It’s only really the fans who know the significance of the character.

I always enjoyed the massive non-sequiturs in the casting – I mean how can you explain the leap from the podgy Norman Burton to handsome John Terry?! It makes zero sense, but that’s the appeal.

Personally, I want to see a woman Leiter. Why not? It’s the only move they haven’t taken. Plus, it’s completely fitting of the way they typically cast the role. The Ghostbusters misogynists will instantly hate the decision, but I know Barbara Broccoli will ignore them and go down this route.

With my casting director hat on, I’d cast Sarah Paulson as the new Felix Leiter.

sarahpaulson-photoshoot.png?token=L62WxS0lOLXDx8zp3bnMwlR2jFs%3D
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Indeed. If they want to go down the female route, just have a random female CIA character, but not dear old Felix.

I'm in agreement with @Some_Kind_Of_Hero.
    Perhaps Nathan Fillion would be ideal. He's got that rogue, mischievous charm in spades.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    May I suggest Jeffrey Donovan as Felix Leiter? A new spin on the character on somewhat similar tone to Jack Lord's, a badass variant of the character rather than the regular 'Yes Man' to Bond.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    That would suck.

Beyond salvation.
    Robertson wrote: »
    It was funny how Leiter changed from one actor to the next. Keep doing it!

A voice in the wilderness I would have thought.
    It's quite intriguing when you actually see how many times Felix has appeared with each Bond :

Connery
    6 films
    4 Felix appearances (DN/GF/TB/DAF)

Moore
    7 films
    1 Felix appearance (LALD)

Dalton
    2 films
    2 Felix appearances (TLD/LTK)

Brosnan
    4 films
    0 Felix appearances

Craig
    4 films
    2 Felix appearances (CR/QoS)

Felix was really discarded in the Moore/Brosnan era's.
    edited June 2017 Posts: 15,423
    I think in the Brosnan era Felix was replaced with Wade instead in order to avoid confusion after the events of Licence To Kill. It's still a timeline one and the same. Otherwise, Felix could easily have been incorporated to the Brosnan era.
    I think in the Brosnan era Felix was replaced with Wade instead in order to avoid confusion after the events of Licence To Kill. It's still a timeline one and the same. Otherwise, Felix could easily have been incorporated to the Brosnan era.

That's how I see it...until Craig's entirely new timeline.
    barryt007 wrote: »

That's how I see it...until Craig's entirely new timeline.
    Precisely.

Yes, that is what happened there. How to incorporate a disabled Felix Leiter, even know the shark mauling happens to him in the second Bond novel Live and Let Die and there's no real issue after that!
    Dragonpol wrote: »

Yes, that is what happened there. How to incorporate a disabled Felix Leiter, even know the shark mauling happens to him in the second Bond novel Live and Let Die and there's no real issue after that!
    If I remember correctly, in GoldenEye's novelization, Felix was strongly hinted at, wasn't he?
    Dragonpol wrote: »

If I remember correctly, in GoldenEye's novelization, Felix was strongly hinted at, wasn't he?

Yes, I was going to write a thing about that once.
    Ive got the novelisation but I've never read it funny enough.
  • There were surely too many question marks surrounding how to incorporate a disabled Felix into GoldenEye. Would a hook be too antequated for the 90s? A bionic arm too sci-fi? Do they pair an aging Hedison with young Brosnan? If a new Felix would anyone even remember the maiming from 6 years before?

I actually think a limping Hedison with a false hand could have worked just fine, but it's also easy to see why they chose to give Bond a new CIA contact.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    edited June 2017 Posts: 6,786
    Big fan of Felix but I like Wade in GE. Love the introduction scene. Stiff ass Brit, cracks me up every time.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited June 2017 Posts: 23,883
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    Big fan of Felix but I like Wade in GE. Love the introduction scene. Stiff ass Brit, cracks me up every time.
    Agreed. I like Wade. Don Baker redeemed himself with this character imho, after nearly ruining TLD with the exaggerated and poorly realized Whitaker. I realize I'm in the minority with this opinion.
    delete
    The Living Daylights was a sensational movie until we get to the boring Afghani Mujahedeen part. Koskov and Kara were the bigger problem than Whitaker ever tried to be. Poorly written character, yes. But, Joe Don Baker makes him enjoyable.
    The Living Daylights was a sensational movie until we get to the boring Afghani Mujahedeen part. Koskov and Kara were the bigger problem than Whitaker ever tried to be. Poorly written character, yes. But, Joe Don Baker makes him enjoyable.

Well said...hear hear !!!
    delete
    I couldn't disagree more. Tim Dalton is an outstanding actor in every sense.
    Robertson wrote: »
    Not only were Koskov and Kara also lousy characters, but there was also a lousy actor who couldn't even say "Bond. James Bond." properly.

She certainly was !

delete