SPECTRE: TOP 5 elements "SPECTRE" must have to tackle all criticism that surrounded "SKYFALL"

Comments

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    doubleoego wrote:
    I don't ever want to see May in a Bond film. She really isn't needed at all as has been proven these past 50 years. We have the MI6 regulars to deal with as it is.

I agree. I don't care to see her either. I could imagine see her in the Connery films but not in the Craig era. Craig's Bond doesn't need a housekeeper.
    Ludovico wrote:
    tony wrote:
    IMO under no circumstances must there be any reference to any previous bond film or history.... in other words no DB5

my favorite car of all time by the way but it just does not make any sense... brosnan had it in GE and a breif appearance in TND.. then DC wins one in CR and then we have the original back in SF ????

i would also like to see his flat/apartment and house keeper like the detailed description in Carte Blanche

I see no problem with the DB5 in CR and SF, as it is a rebooted continuity. And I do like allusion to previous Bond movies, as it does bring a bit of... continuity.

As for Bond's flat... Is it a criticism of Skyfall, really? I mean is it something that would have improved the movie, to see the flat and May?

Can't be bothered to go into the DB5 appearing in SF again - there are plenty of threads on that already.

Not that it particularly bothers me but I do think there was a missed opportunity to introduce May in SF. She could have either been Kincaide and the film plays out the same or she is Mrs Kincaide and he dies during the fight.

In any event in B24 she could be a stock character, not in every film perhaps but there in the background.

I'd love to see May one day in a Bond movie but... Really? It is a flaw that was part of SF and needs to be solved for Bond 24? I mean really? The absence of May is one of the main issues with SF? Those who love the film think it would have been even better with her, and those who hate it think she could have saved it?
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Ludovico wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:
    tony wrote:
    IMO under no circumstances must there be any reference to any previous bond film or history.... in other words no DB5

my favorite car of all time by the way but it just does not make any sense... brosnan had it in GE and a breif appearance in TND.. then DC wins one in CR and then we have the original back in SF ????

i would also like to see his flat/apartment and house keeper like the detailed description in Carte Blanche

I see no problem with the DB5 in CR and SF, as it is a rebooted continuity. And I do like allusion to previous Bond movies, as it does bring a bit of... continuity.

As for Bond's flat... Is it a criticism of Skyfall, really? I mean is it something that would have improved the movie, to see the flat and May?

Can't be bothered to go into the DB5 appearing in SF again - there are plenty of threads on that already.

Not that it particularly bothers me but I do think there was a missed opportunity to introduce May in SF. She could have either been Kincaide and the film plays out the same or she is Mrs Kincaide and he dies during the fight.

In any event in B24 she could be a stock character, not in every film perhaps but there in the background.

I'd love to see May one day in a Bond movie but... Really? It is a flaw that was part of SF and needs to be solved for Bond 24? I mean really? The absence of May is one of the main issues with SF? Those who love the film think it would have been even better with her, and those who hate it think she could have saved it?

Clearly people think that I am advocating May having hours of screen time in B24 when I am suggesting nothing of the sort.

I simply meant that were they ever going to introduce her then SF was the time to do it, but that boat has sailed now so I doubt we'll ever see her. It would also have people saying Bond was copying Sherlock given the similarity to Mrs Hudson.

Given that Mendes and EON already seem so keen to have the MI6 regulars doing more and more the stock cast is already far too bloated for my liking as it is so it's hardly a disaster. It's a shame though we've never seen Bond having his breakfast as in the books before going into the office.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited December 2013 Posts: 13,944
    It would've been difficult to introduce May in SF considering Bond's flat had been sold... but I agree it would be cool to see his breakfast routine.
    About Bond copying Sherlock... It is,the case since Fleming and it is ok, as it is normal he had been influenced by such character.
    Ludovico wrote:
    About Bond copying Sherlock... It is,the case since Fleming and it is ok, as it is normal he had been influenced by such character.

I meant more that it would be perceived as copying the TV programme Sherlock, which is wildly popular at present, in the same way QOS was thought to have copied the then flavour of the month; Bourne. God knows we don't want to give more fuel to people who still think its hilarious to call that film 'QOB' 5 years after the event.

There was a book written in the 90's called 'James Bond: Did he really live twice?' which attempts to outline the paralells between Holmes and Bond in literary terms, although I've never actually read it myself. Would be interesting to hear if anybody here has?
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Ludovico wrote:

To be fair Mrs. Hudson has a very marginal role in the Doyle stories, so it's unlikely that Fleming was inspired, if at all by that aspect of the Holmes canon.
    Ludovico wrote:

To be fair Mrs. Hudson has a very marginal role in the Doyle stories, so it's unlikely that Fleming was inspired, if at all by that aspect of the Holmes canon.

true, although both have similarities. Wasn't Mrs Hudson Scottish? Bond was influenced by Holmes in many ways, and maybe not always consciously. Mycroft has many points in common with M for instance, and both are smarter than Holmes/Bond. But this is for another thread.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Ludovico wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:

true, although both have similarities. Wasn't Mrs Hudson Scottish? Bond was influenced by Holmes in many ways, and maybe not always consciously. Mycroft has many points in common with M for instance, and both are smarter than Holmes/Bond. But this is for another thread.

There's very little information we get of Mrs. Hudson direct from Doyle, not even much physical description, so everything is speculative. I also think you'd have a tough go comparing Holmes and Bond/Mycroft and M, because though they share certain commonalities they couldn't be more different in other ways, especially the former pair. I do love comparing and contrasting them in my head though, as they are alike in some ways you wouldn't think of, and quite separate in others. It makes me want to see Bond and Holmes in a room together, leaving 007 unarmed of course for fear that he'd cap the detective out of annoyance. I am actually working on a story that includes Holmes, Bond and Batman in one universe though, so I hope to explore how they would interact more deeply.

I have never thought about comparing Bond and M in regards to their intellectual prowess either, which is an interesting thing to bring up. I guess I see them both as equals in that area, though it varies with each era and M, of course. Neither could be idiots given M's position and steeled commitment and Bond's own knack for improvisation and survival. I wouldn't use the term "smart" though, especially with Holmes and Mycroft since intelligence and knowledge come in many forms. Both men are undoubtably extremely impressive specimens in regards to their brain power, but if either were graded on an academic level I am sure both would be regarded as idiots at best because of just how much they find trivial and meaningless, blocking it out of their brains forever, something that could be misrepresented to others besides Watson as ignorance. The big difference between Holmes and Mycroft is that while the latter arguably has the greater deductive capabilities, the former is able to balance deductive reasoning with a strict determination to solve cases actively, most salient of which is his ability to go out and about in the thick of it with Watson, something his brother would never do. In fact, it's amazing that Mycroft is such a powerful and effective figure in the British governmental machine considering just how isolated and unsociable he can often be. Though, that is the kind of man you'd want having big ties to intelligence agencies and other areas of domestic and foreign surveillance, especially when keeping secrets is crucial.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Ludovico wrote:

I meant more that it would be perceived as copying the TV programme Sherlock, which is wildly popular at present, in the same way QOS was thought to have copied the then flavour of the month; Bourne. God knows we don't want to give more fuel to people who still think its hilarious to call that film 'QOB' 5 years after the event.

There was a book written in the 90's called 'James Bond: Did he really live twice?' which attempts to outline the paralells between Holmes and Bond in literary terms, although I've never actually read it myself. Would be interesting to hear if anybody here has?

This is one of the reasons why I'm sceptical of EoN ever adapting a more accurate portrayal of YOLT which many here seem to want. The whole memory loss thing/brain washing thing is so definitive of Bourne that if Bond goes and does it even though by all rights he could, we'll never hear the end of it and that's despite citing the YOLT novel to shut people up.
    edited December 2013 Posts: 9,117
    Ludovico wrote:
    tony wrote:

Wow, and you give Purvis and Wade a rough time... ;)
    I am actually working on a story that includes Holmes, Bond and Batman in one universe

Touché - in spades, I might add. Dear oh dear.
    edited December 2013 Posts: 28,694
    I am actually working on a story that includes Holmes, Bond and Batman in one universe

Touché - in spades, I might add. Dear oh dear.

Hardly a reason to shoot it down just yet, as I plan on making it quite a grave tale if I ever give it the proper focus it deserves, but at the moment I have other writing projects to attend to. But I'm sure you're too busy at the moment to concern yourself with it anyway since you've been writing a script rewrite for Bond 24 where 007 disguises himself as a loose lady of the night to get close to a rich cartel leader in France, Moneypenny gets out in the field again, shouts female empowerment slogans any chance she gets and shares a sex scene with Bond while there are shameless Heineken plugs aplenty that appear in every other piece of spoken dialogue. Near the middle of the film we receive a ten minute intermission during which we switch back to Mallory at MI6 who does a tap dancing number to "Singing in the Rain" with Tanner on back up vocals, all leading up to a tense climax that tasks Bond with escaping a steel cell with nothing but a tooth pick, a stick of butter and a strand of Eve's hair he ripped out in their passionate, canon ruining coitus.
  • edited December 2013 Posts: 12,837
    you've been writing a script rewrite for Bond 24 where 007 disguises himself as a loose lady of the night to get close to a rich cartel leader in France, Moneypenny gets out in the field again, shouts female empowerment slogans any chance she gets and shares a sex scene with Bond while there are shameless Heineken plugs aplenty that appear in every other piece of spoken dialogue. Near the middle of the film we receive a ten minute intermission during which we switch back to Mallory at MI6 who does a tap dancing number to "Singing in the Rain" with Tanner on back up vocals, all leading up to a tense climax that tasks Bond with escaping a steel cell with nothing but a tooth pick, a stick of butter and a strand of Eve's hair he ripped out in their passionate, canon ruining coitus.

....What? Where'd you get this from? I'm confused...
    you've been writing a script rewrite for Bond 24 where 007 disguises himself as a loose lady of the night to get close to a rich cartel leader in France, Moneypenny gets out in the field again, shouts female empowerment slogans any chance she gets and shares a sex scene with Bond while there are shameless Heineken plugs aplenty that appear in every other piece of spoken dialogue. Near the middle of the film we receive a ten minute intermission during which we switch back to Mallory at MI6 who does a tap dancing number to "Singing in the Rain" with Tanner on back up vocals, all leading up to a tense climax that tasks Bond with escaping a steel cell with nothing but a tooth pick, a stick of butter and a strand of Eve's hair he ripped out in their passionate, canon ruining coitus.

....What?

Yet that still sounds better than Bond and Batman piling into the DeLorean with Doc Brown and travelling back to Victorian London to join forces with Holmes in order to combat a cabal of Moriarty, Blofeld and the Joker.
  • you've been writing a script rewrite for Bond 24 where 007 disguises himself as a loose lady of the night to get close to a rich cartel leader in France, Moneypenny gets out in the field again, shouts female empowerment slogans any chance she gets and shares a sex scene with Bond while there are shameless Heineken plugs aplenty that appear in every other piece of spoken dialogue. Near the middle of the film we receive a ten minute intermission during which we switch back to Mallory at MI6 who does a tap dancing number to "Singing in the Rain" with Tanner on back up vocals, all leading up to a tense climax that tasks Bond with escaping a steel cell with nothing but a tooth pick, a stick of butter and a strand of Eve's hair he ripped out in their passionate, canon ruining coitus.

....What?

Yet that still sounds better than Bond and Batman piling into the DeLorean with Doc Brown and travelling back to Victorian London to join forces with Holmes in order to combat a cabal of Moriarty, Blofeld and the Joker.

Strange,but nevertheless true!
    Ludovico wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:

There's very little information we get of Mrs. Hudson direct from Doyle, not even much physical description, so everything is speculative. I also think you'd have a tough go comparing Holmes and Bond/Mycroft and M, because though they share certain commonalities they couldn't be more different in other ways, especially the former pair. I do love comparing and contrasting them in my head though, as they are alike in some ways you wouldn't think of, and quite separate in others. It makes me want to see Bond and Holmes in a room together, leaving 007 unarmed of course for fear that he'd cap the detective out of annoyance. I am actually working on a story that includes Holmes, Bond and Batman in one universe though, so I hope to explore how they would interact more deeply.

I have never thought about comparing Bond and M in regards to their intellectual prowess either, which is an interesting thing to bring up. I guess I see them both as equals in that area, though it varies with each era and M, of course. Neither could be idiots given M's position and steeled commitment and Bond's own knack for improvisation and survival. I wouldn't use the term "smart" though, especially with Holmes and Mycroft since intelligence and knowledge come in many forms. Both men are undoubtably extremely impressive specimens in regards to their brain power, but if either were graded on an academic level I am sure both would be regarded as idiots at best because of just how much they find trivial and meaningless, blocking it out of their brains forever, something that could be misrepresented to others besides Watson as ignorance. The big difference between Holmes and Mycroft is that while the latter arguably has the greater deductive capabilities, the former is able to balance deductive reasoning with a strict determination to solve cases actively, most salient of which is his ability to go out and about in the thick of it with Watson, something his brother would never do. In fact, it's amazing that Mycroft is such a powerful and effective figure in the British governmental machine considering just how isolated and unsociable he can often be. Though, that is the kind of man you'd want having big ties to intelligence agencies and other areas of domestic and foreign surveillance, especially when keeping secrets is crucial.

I am keeping terribly off topic, but I do think both M and the villain (Blofeld especially) are more intelligent than Bond. (And this is actually a difference between Bond and Holmes, who is smarter than his adversaries, even Moriarty). That does not mean that Bond is stupid. He is intelligent, but not exceptionally so. He also has qualities the villain does not have, a capacity to think quickly and fall in his feet, for instance. He is more complete than the villain. The badguy, on the other hand, is exceptionally smart, however he is intelligent to the point of arrogance and becomes overconfident. He suffer from hubris and it causes his demise.
  • edited December 2013 Posts: 12,837
    Bond might not be as intelligent as some of the villains but he has street smarts.

Bond might not have a PHD but then Dr No couldn't have sussed out the year of the vintage that M's Sherry is based on from one sip. Bond might not be a rocket scientist but then Drax wouldn't have been able to deduce that Severine was an abused former prostitute.
    Bond might not be as intelligent as some of the villains but he has street smarts.

Bond might not have a PHD but then Dr No couldn't have sussed out the year of the vintage that M's Sherry is based on from one sip. Bond might not be a rocket scientist but then Drax wouldn't have been able to deduce that Severine was an abused former prostitute.

Oh, no doubt about that. The villain is intelligent to the point of madness. But the odds are against Bond when he has a mission. If they were even, he would not be heroic and the movies would be way less exciting.
  • As I am pretty certain that EON Productions has got some 'spy accounts' on here (I found it quite flabbergasting that many of my wishes, I have posed on this forum, have come reality: From a memorable Bond villain to a truly Thunderball-esque way of filming (Roger Deakins). From slowly getting rid of Judi Dench's version of M to a nuanced re-introduction of Q and Moneypenny. And finally, NOT a Bond film with a clichéd car chase in it.

So, now it's time to gather your TOP 5 of elements Bond 24 must have, to even undo those tiny bit of negative reviews 'Skyfall' got. And, please be serious, as I am quite certain EON Productions is talking about this in their screenplay brainstorm sessions ;-).

My TOP 5!:

03) Has anyone seen the 1966 Formula One movie 'Grand Prix'? Why not featuring a Formula One racer in it, that is a member of SPECTRE, but that is endangering SPECTRE's secrecy with his star status? Great to see him killed by a SPECTRE operative during a Formula One race in QATAR. You can make some awesome cinematography with this!

Back in my opening post, I already referred to Formula 1. Before I will explain further on this matter and why it would be nice to put this element in the film, I first want to know from some posters in here if they have seen 'Rush' already. I just saw it....and I think it was an awesome film. It is already nominated for several Golden Globes and it gets a high IMDB-rating of 8.3.

Ron Howard directed the movie, Chris Hemsworth plays Formula 1-driver James Hunt. But the actor who really surprised me was Daniel Brühl as Niki Lauda. Why do I mention this movie? Not only because I liked it. It had an almost James Bond-esque look and feel over it.....which I kinda missed in previous Daniel Craig Bond films.

The girls, the entire jet-set entourage on and off the racing tracks....it is something the older Bond films had......but that the new Bond films still miss.

That's why I think that use this world of Formula 1 in the next 24th Bond outing could be a golden choice. Just think of a Formula 1-driver in a Bond film, that is at the same time a member of QUANTUM or SPECTRE and that gets killed in a Formula 1 car deliberately by another QUANTUM/SPECTRE-member ("QUANTUM/SPECTRE needs uttermost loyal members, not playboys who sell our terrorist plans to a high bidder like MI6!")

Aren't they using a Formula 1 scene for the new UNCLE movie? I'd really hate to have endure another bout of, "Bond is copying so and so" all over again.
  • edited December 2013 Posts: 20
    This conversation is beginning to go all over the place. Back to the original question from a year ago. What I would like to see would be:
    1. The return of Blofeld
    2. I think the whole idea of turning Quantum into SPECTRE is actually a pretty great idea, maybe even starting it as a team up kind of thing to transition the organizations into combining. Look guys you cant get rid of SPECTRE or pretend they don't exist. If its supposed to be believed that Craig is kind of like a prequel Bond like he was in Casino Royale they need to be introduced at some point.
    3. It would be cool to see Craig in some military garb, after all he is "Commander Bond" and they haven't done this yet in a Craig fronted Bond
    4. Another thing I would like to see, is just a tad more humor in the whole thing, Brosnan had it, the perfect combo of BA and humor. One of the most tiring things for me watching Craig as Bond is that I just don't see a whole lot of personality. I understand he is going for that whole strong but silent type thing but there has to be character development otherwise it just gets boring.
    5. Someone said on this thread this should basically be a Thunderball remake, I really disagree Thunderball needs to be left alone. Plus the whole Thunderball remake thing has already been tried, Bond remakes are always going to be unpopular because we love these movies so much they way they are. That being said it would be cool to have a story that captures some of the energy of Thunderball if that is at all possible. I just mean the story, should be as captivating as that film.

PS Keep in mind guys as of November 2013, EON now has the right to everything James Bond because of the settlement with Kevin Mcclory's family. Meaning they now own SPECTRE and the character Blofeld once again. So having a movie with those two thing in it seems entirely possibly, and it would not make sense for the writers not to take advantage of this.
    edited December 2013 Posts: 11,139
    SF had plenty of humor and using the Brosnan era as a benchmark to the sort and amount of humor subsequent Bond movies should have is ill-advised.
  • doubleoego wrote:
    Aren't they using a Formula 1 scene for the new UNCLE movie? I'd really hate to have endure another bout of, "Bond is copying so and so" all over again.

There's really no real good argument to find in this post....if you ask me.
    Don't want to see the original Aston anymore. (Blown to bits anyway).
    Don't want to see any more tributes to Ursula Andress swimsuit shot. (i.e. DAD & CR).
    Don't want anymore computer geniuses who can apparently think a thousand moves ahead down to the most minute detail. (SF).
    Don't want to see any more fake Bond deaths and obituaries. (FRWL, TB, YOLT, SF….).
    No more M in grave danger, physically or politically.
    No more disarm the bomb sequences.
    No more allusions to non-Bond films that are the current rage.
    No more "I resign" sequences.
    No more Bourne inspired anything.
    No more soundtracks without title song and ample offerings of the title song motif throughout.
    No more Bond psychological mumbo jumbo.

@CrabKey-When was the tribute to Ursula Andress in SF? As for Bond's pseudo-deaths, it is a recurring element that dates back to Fleming.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @Ludovico, he said the tributes were in DAD and CR.
    Creasy47 wrote:

But the topic is about criticism regarding Skyfall, not another Bond movie.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Ludovico wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:

But the topic is about criticism regarding Skyfall, not another Bond movie.

Just relaying what he said, not arguing that it's off-topic. I didn't write it, he did.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited January 2014 Posts: 4,447
    A litle note to 0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 and Graves his comment on Skyfall vs TDK. I agree, but there is more behind some of the points then only TDK. The best way to explain is take that point you take of Willem Tell, earlier in the movie we get reference who in trailer it look like a simalar reference as in Twine. Skyfall: what do you know about fear / Not like this not like like him: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIkPRd_c7s8

Like you know my name is not only a reference to Bond, Not like this not like like him not only to Silva. You should ''grave'' more to Silva chacter.

mieren_teaser_large3.jpg
    Films are a lot like art, poetry, fiction, etc. You can make connections that aren't there and interpret things in several different ways. Only the filmmakers know what influences they took inspiration from.

Only the filmmaker, you are so naive as M and Tanner in QOS ;) . Eon scores another point again.

Make connections and interpret things in several different ways is that not actualy what we should do.
    Murdock wrote:
    doubleoego wrote:
    I don't ever want to see May in a Bond film. She really isn't needed at all as has been proven these past 50 years. We have the MI6 regulars to deal with as it is.

I agree. I don't care to see her either. I could imagine see her in the Connery films but not in the Craig era. Craig's Bond doesn't need a housekeeper.

Not yet.

Mabey this have been a better part for Noami Harris. b-(
    doubleoego wrote:

There's really no real good argument to find in this post....if you ask me.

Well, to cite SF for not having a Grand Prix scene as a criticism that needs correcting for Bond 24 is obtuse in the first place.