SPECTRE: TOP 5 elements "SPECTRE" must have to tackle all criticism that surrounded "SKYFALL"

Comments

• edited August 2013 Posts: 418
    For Bond 24 I'd like an old school TB/TSWLM/YOLT type film, with the tone of SF and the brutality of CR to make sure it still stands out as a Craig film.

I also want them to use material from the YOLT novel. The garden of death especially deserves to make it into a film.

I totally agree. Thats what i want for Bond 24 aswell. A classic old school story and feel to the film, but with Craig's stamp on it with the elements of SF and CR - hopefully with a bad bond girl (Fiona Volpe) type..

I can't see Craig going past Bond 25, especially if they carry on having 3 year gaps.

I go for 6 if I were Craig. I think he loves it. And compared to his predecessor Brosnan, he truly indulges in every aspect of the filmmaking process of James Bond. He is present at meetings with MGM to discuss several poster proposals (Read 'The James Bond Archive'), he is in essence a bit producer-like too, as he suggested cast members like Mendes to Michael and Barbara, he is the first Bond actor since Connery who receives an extra bonus because the film made 1 Billion Dollar worldwide, he has read all the novels in great detail.....he's almost a co-producer with Barbara and Michael.

There were times that this was impossible. If only Cubby and Harry allowed Connery more freedom of creativity and more money....then many more things are possible.

Nah, I'd say: 6 for Craig ;-).
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Zorin61 wrote:
    For Bond 24 I'd like an old school TB/TSWLM/YOLT type film, with the tone of SF and the brutality of CR to make sure it still stands out as a Craig film.

I also want them to use material from the YOLT novel. The garden of death especially deserves to make it into a film.

I totally agree. Thats what i want for Bond 24 aswell. A classic old school story and feel to the film, but with Craig's stamp on it with the elements of SF and CR - hopefully with a bad bond girl (Fiona Volpe) type..

Me, three. Keep the brutality that Craig has delivered mostly throughout his three films, but give us something classic and old school.
  • RC7RC7
    edited August 2013 Posts: 10,512
    I can't see Craig going past Bond 25, especially if they carry on having 3 year gaps.

I go for 6 if I were Craig. I think he loves it. And compared to his predecessor Brosnan, he truly indulges in every aspect of the filmmaking process of James Bond. He is present at meetings with MGM to discuss several poster proposals (Read 'The James Bond Archive'), he is in essence a bit producer-like too, as he suggested cast members like Mendes to Michael and Barbara, he is the first Bond actor since Connery who receives an extra bonus because the film made 1 Billion Dollar worldwide, he has read all the novels in great detail.....he's almost a co-producer with Barbara and Michael.

There were times that this was impossible. If only Cubby and Harry allowed Connery more freedom of creativity and more money....then many more things are possible.

I don't think @thelivingroyale approaching it from that angle. It's merely that he will look well past it in 2021
    RC7 wrote:

I don't think @thelivingroyale approaching it from that angle. It's merely that he will look well past it in 2021

I think age nowadays isn't that much of an issue anymore. Daniel Craig has the advantage that he is blond. It makes him look less older than Brosnan. You won't see it very well when Craig is getting his grey hairs.

Moreover, who says Bond 25 will come out in 2018? From what I know screenwriter John Logan is writing for Bond 24 and the continuation to that, Bond 25. So Bond 25 could be released in 2017, which will be most likely Craig's 5th.

Beyond that, EON and MGM will just pay Craig enough to keep him onboard. That's my idea.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited August 2013 Posts: 13,350
    Not having a go at @RC7 here, but 2021 did read 2018 before being changed. Who knows what the future holds. I would love another Bond in 2017 though, just to speed things up.
  • RC7RC7
    Samuel001 wrote:
    No having a go at @RC7 here, but 2021 did read 2018 before being changed.

Yes, I realised GG stated 6 films. Which by my calculation is 2021. I was thinking in terms of the next two being 3 years apart. A mathematical mistake. Either way, Craig will be 51 in 2019 (the earliest they could get B26 out). Given the way he has aged from CR to SF (6 years), I wouldn't have thought he'd be looking too hot after the 7 years between SF and B26.

For the record, I still think he'll be looking too old in 2018.
  • RC7 wrote:
    pachazo wrote:
    RC7 wrote:
    I'm referring specifically to the Craig era. Ken Adam is my favourite production designer, not just for Bond, ever.
    He is mine as well. So are you saying that you just don't like this particular Poseidon idea or that they should only use real locations during the Craig era?

I feel like the Craig era should remain rooted in reality. The Poseidon idea seems like a Moore era Adam set, much like Atlantis. I think the locations need to remain tangible, that's not to say it should always pre-exist. I thought they pushed it a bit with Hashima Island, I know others feel differently, but some of the establishing shots are irksome, as they are clearly CGI. It just doesn't feel tonally right to me, to have an underwater hotel/lair what have you.

The thing is @RC7....there's a good chance Craig will become the Connery of our days. In that he will do 6 films. So 2 more after Bond 24. And given the success of 'Skyfall', I think that's a plausible thought.

But then what? Do you really want to maintain that 'realistic' feel, by constantly opting for tangible locations? Look to Connery's films. The Terence Young ones were firmly realistic, but the Gilbert/Hamilton films were lighter of tone.

Moreover, what is realistic nowadays. We see nowadays that countries like Qatar and the United Arab Emirates have a thing for this 60-ies-esque larger-than-life buildings and interiors. It's not just a dream. It's sheer realism. Look to the Burj Khalifa and more recently the Shard scycraper in London (Which by the way is not visible at all in 'Skyfall'. Weirddd :-O!)

It's funny you should say that, because as we have heard Craig would not be against a grand adventure meaning one with spectacular sets. If Connery can have a hollowed out volcano, why not this Atlantis concept for Craig?

Not saying you here, but why are people thinking 3 years is the new norm when EON has said 2015 for #24 and 2017 for #25? If 25 is to be a sequel, like QOS they aren't going to wait to allow 24 to be out of the public's mind for too long. They'll keep that aspect of the hype for 25 alongside of 24 so the public won't forget. Craig for a 6th isn't something we can even guess at with reasonable certainty. He may not want it and he's not the kind to be motivated by money alone, and who knows what he'll look like by then? We do know that EON will change the actor if they feel he's too old for the role and Craig will likely not argue that if that's the case. He seems quite satisfied at the moment that 5 will be enough for him.

• RC7 wrote:

That's what I meant yeah. People are going to slag me off for this but I honestly don't think Craig is aging very well.

It's one of the reasons I wanted the 2 year gap back, so we could get more films out of him. As it stands now though, I think 25 will probably be his last, whether it's 2017 or 2018.
  • RC7RC7
    Not saying you here, but why are people thinking 3 years is the new norm when EON has said 2015 for #24 and 2017 for #25? If 25 is to be a sequel, like QOS they aren't going to wait to allow 24 to be out of the public's mind for too long.

The same was said after QoS and SF. I'll believe it when a release date is set, otherwise I'll assume it will be at least 3 years. If Mendes doesn't do 25, are we back to the waiting game? I don't think two years is a given any more. Particularly with franchise films. The marketplace is saturated. That's why we're having to wait until 2015, so the studio can guarantee a product. We'd all like two years but MGM and EON aren't going to risk it for the sake of a year. If everything is in place, in time, then two years can work.
    Not saying you here, but why are people thinking 3 years is the new norm when EON has said 2015 for #24 and 2017 for #25?

Have EON said 2017 for Bond 25? As far as I know, they haven't.

EDIT: Why do I bother? @RC7 has said it all far better than I ever could.
  • RC7 wrote:
    Not saying you here, but why are people thinking 3 years is the new norm when EON has said 2015 for #24 and 2017 for #25? If 25 is to be a sequel, like QOS they aren't going to wait to allow 24 to be out of the public's mind for too long.

The same was said after QoS and SF. I'll believe it when a release date is set, otherwise I'll assume it will be at least 3 years. If Mendes doesn't do 25, are we back to the waiting game? I don't think two years is a given any more. Particularly with franchise films. The marketplace is saturated. That's why we're having to wait until 2015, so the studio can guarantee a product. We'd all like two years but MGM and EON aren't going to risk it for the sake of a year. If everything is in place, in time, then two years can work.

That's the plan as far as I've read. What they said after QOS was obviously mitigated by the MGM financial crisis. And the studio's plans for every 2 years was no longer one EON considered as realistic and paid lip service to. The point you make regarding Mendes though could be telling. But I believe that he's been clear that he doesn't want to be the house director no matter how much they would like him to be. He's probably going to fight even harder than he did for returning for BOND24. So they had better be looking for the next guy, and what could also change things is that maybe another director won't want to follow in his footsteps and direct a sequel to his film. Skyfall's success seemed to scare a bunch of the name guys off. They need to get a young guy with promise and a love for Bond if they take Mendes' words at face value.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Not saying you here, but why are people thinking 3 years is the new norm when EON has said 2015 for #24 and 2017 for #25?

Has EON said 2017 for Bond 25? As far as I know, they haven't.

I read it somewhere that this is the plan, you must have missed it. It makes sense too per the above. Have they given an official release date confirming this? No.
    I read it somewhere that this is the plan, you must have missed it.

Along with everyone else! So could you find a link @SirHenryLeeChaChing? I would love to read this and can't believe it until I do.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    edited August 2013 Posts: 11,139
    RC7 wrote:
    RC7 wrote:
    pachazo wrote:
    RC7 wrote:
    I'm referring specifically to the Craig era. Ken Adam is my favourite production designer, not just for Bond, ever.
    He is mine as well. So are you saying that you just don't like this particular Poseidon idea or that they should only use real locations during the Craig era?

I feel like the Craig era should remain rooted in reality. The Poseidon idea seems like a Moore era Adam set, much like Atlantis. I think the locations need to remain tangible, that's not to say it should always pre-exist. I thought they pushed it a bit with Hashima Island, I know others feel differently, but some of the establishing shots are irksome, as they are clearly CGI. It just doesn't feel tonally right to me, to have an underwater hotel/lair what have you.

The thing is @RC7....there's a good chance Craig will become the Connery of our days. In that he will do 6 films. So 2 more after Bond 24. And given the success of 'Skyfall', I think that's a plausible thought.

But then what? Do you really want to maintain that 'realistic' feel, by constantly opting for tangible locations? Look to Connery's films. The Terence Young ones were firmly realistic, but the Gilbert/Hamilton films were lighter of tone.

Moreover, what is realistic nowadays. We see nowadays that countries like Qatar and the United Arab Emirates have a thing for this 60-ies-esque larger-than-life buildings and interiors. It's not just a dream. It's sheer realism. Look to the Burj Khalifa and more recently the Shard scycraper in London (Which by the way is not visible at all in 'Skyfall'. Weirddd :-O!)

I doubt he'll do six, personally.

You know, I have to agree with@Gustav here. I was thinking about this the other day and it makes perfect sense that Craig can do a total of 6 movies. Craig is only 45, the same age Roger was when he started and by the time Bind 24 comes out he'll be 47. Lets say Bond 25 comes out in 2017, especially with Logan already signed on, Craig will be 49; the same age Brosnan was for DAD and yet the public and fans were expecting Brosnan to do a 5th which would have made him 51. Couple all this with the likes of leading men pushing 50 or are/over 50 by the time Craig rock out a 6th movie in say, 2019 he'd be just over 50 and can bow out, leaving a 3 year gap for EoN to find a new actor and prepare his debut for the 60th anniversary.

Craig is too popular and highly valued by EoN to recast him when he can easily credibly squeeze out 3 more films. 2015, 2017 and 2019.

Regarding Craig's age look, I personally don't see it. In SF he was made to look haggered and knackered out and yet, at the Royal premiere, which I attended he looked younger, hell, just watch the SNL stuff he did, he looks nowhere near as worn out and this us obviously after him shooting SF.
  • Samuel001 wrote:
    Could you find a link @SirHenryLeeChaChing? I would love to read this.

I'll check when I have time, there's so much out there even on this site that I wouldn't know where to start. I don't bookmark then, I just read them and if it sounds like it's a credible source I retain the info, that's all.
  • RC7RC7
    doubleoego wrote:
    RC7 wrote:
    RC7 wrote:
    pachazo wrote:
    RC7 wrote:

You know, I have to agree with@Gustav here. I was thinking about this the other day and it makes perfect sense that Craig can do a total of 6 movies. Craig is only 45, the same age Roger was when he started and by the time Bind 24 comes out he'll be 47. Lets say Bond 25 comes out in 2017, especially with Logan already signed on, Craig will be 49; the same age Brosnan was for DAD and yet the public and fans were expecting Brosnan to do a 5th which would have made him 51. Couple all this with the likes of leading men pushing 50 or are/over 50 by the time Craig rock out a 6th movie in say, 2019 he'd be just over 50 and can bow out, leaving a 3 year gap for EoN to find a new actor and prepare his debut for the 60th anniversary.

Craig is too popular and highly valued by EoN to recast him when he can easily credibly squeeze out 3 more films. 2015, 2017 and 2019.

Roger Moore looked like a 30 year old man at 45. Daniel Craig looks 45. Craig will be 51 at the earliest, for a sixth film. Personally I think he's aged quite a bit since CR. I think he can get away with two more, but I think he'll be really pushing it come 2019. Let's be honest, Rog was about as youthful as it gets and I don't think Craig is comparable. Same with Brozzer, classically handsome.
    Regarding the settings, like @RC7 I would rather use something that already exists. Not only to ground it in realism, but to ground it in physicality: a fictitious place based on a hypothetical future architectural project could easily turn in a CGI fest. Not that it will, but there's a risk. The more physical the settings, the better it is. Use real castles, real buildings, use models based on real, physical places, as much as possible.
    RC7 wrote:
    doubleoego wrote:
    RC7 wrote:
    RC7 wrote:
    pachazo wrote:
    RC7 wrote:

Roger Moore looked like a 30 year old man at 45. Daniel Craig looks 45. Craig will be 51 at the earliest, for a sixth film. Personally I think he's aged quite a bit since CR. I think he can get away with two more, but I think he'll be really pushing it come 2019. Let's be honest, Rog was about as youthful as it gets and I don't think Craig is comparable. Same with Brozzer, classically handsome.

Craig has an interesting look and how he looks in interviews and other promo stuff post SF compared to how he looked in CR, he doesn't look that much different. Obviously, he'll look older CR was 7 years ago but it's nothing drastic IMO. As I said, SF had him deliberately look older and with Craig's interesting look as it is, I don't see him changing much or looking jarringly older over the next few years much like what happened to Moore and Brosnan.
  • edited August 2013 Posts: 12,837
    RC7 wrote:

I'd say Moore looked older than 40 but I agree, he didn't age for a good few years, something which I think can't be said about Craig.

I think Dalton is definitely the Bond that's aged best. He's nearly 70 now but I don't think he looks it and it's hard to believe that when he was Bond, he was older than Connery was in DAF.

Second best when it comes to age is probably either Brosnan or Moore.
  • edited August 2013 Posts: 12,837
    Samuel001 wrote:
    I read it somewhere that this is the plan, you must have missed it.

Along with everyone else! So could you find a link @SirHenryLeeChaChing? I would love to read this and can't believe it until I do.

I remember just before SF came out they said that the plan was to get a film every 2 years again but look how that turned out.

I can't remember them ever saying that the plan was 2015 then 2017.
    Well, that was MGM's wish as part of their bankruptcy filing. Sony wanted it too but EON are their own master and I'm sure that is for the best.
  • edited August 2013 Posts: 2,782
    Daniel Craig's hair
    Daniel Craig's suits
    Daniel Craig's beard
    Daniel Craig drinking beer - wrong wrong wrong
    Daniel Craig being a moody teenager.... again
    Daniel Craig riding a motorbike over Turkish rooftops exactly the same place as seen in Taken 2
    Daniel Craig noticing slightly ajar doors that lead him to find the baddie
    Daniel Craig outfoxing the best IT brains in the world to crack an uncrackable computer code precisely the time right time when the baddie wanted it to happen
    Daniel Craig sleeping with a sex worker when he finds out that she is a brokendown sex worker
    Daniel Craig not knowing what Moneypenny's name is when obviously spending a lot of time wi her in the field yet knowing the complete background history of the new M without meeting him
    Daniel Craig pretending to be Terminator and cutting out radioactive shrapnel from deep within his body
    Daniel Craig not shivering although fighting in an ice cold Scottish lake and then having a steady hand to throw a knife killing a baddie from over 30 ft
    Daniel Craig breaking into M's home even though security has been breached and Mi6 is under attack

• edited August 2013 Posts: 3,494
    Daniel Craig's hair
    Daniel Craig's suits
    Daniel Craig's beard
    Daniel Craig riding a motorbike over Turkish rooftops exactly the same place as seen in Taken 2
    Daniel Craig outfoxing the best IT brains in the world to crack an uncrackable computer code precisely the time right time when the baddie wanted it to happen
    Daniel Craig sleeping with a sex worker when he finds out that she is a brokendown sex worker
    Daniel Craig not knowing what Moneypenny's name is when obviously spending a lot of time with her in the field yet knowing the complete background history of the new M without meeting him
    Daniel Craig pretending to be Terminator and cutting out radioactive shrapnel from deep within his body
    Daniel Craig not shivering although fighting in an ice cold Scottish lake and then having a steady hand to throw a knife killing a baddie from over 30 ft
    Daniel Craig breaking into M's home even though security has been breached and Mi6 is under attack

You'll be Helm and Perdogg's new hero coming up with posts like this ;)

How about-

Brosnan walking into a hotel looking like the Geico caveman, with dripping wet pajamas. Oh yeah. That's Bondian :))
    Brosnan drinking mojitos. Dalton ordering beer with Pam in Bimini. These are just as wrong, right? Apparently the Turks aren't terribly familiar with vodka martinis. I guess he was also wrong to be drinking straight up from the bottle of hooch when he saw MI6 got attacked. Who freaking cares about a damn Heineken?!?!?!
    Slightly ajar doors. Like we've never seen that before in a spy or horror movie. You'll have to do better than that one.
    The same "How does he know these things" Craig of CR who figured out M's username and secure password. I guess you didn't buy that one either. Maybe the accountants are indeed running things at MI6 nowadays :)) But since the precedent has been set, obviously he knows enough to help give Q some ideas, wouldn't you say?
    The same Craig who broke into M's place before. With her husband grogging away in the next room no less.
    What broken down sex worker? You mean a former sex worker, right? She's Silva's mistress and assistant now. She used Silva to get away from that life, like she's using Bond to get away from Silva. What a crock to say otherwise! With this premise of yours clearly not the case, it's amazing how some live in this fantasy land scenario that she's still actively engaged in the sex trade. Poor Severine has no control of her life. So illogically wrong, she clearly wanted to have sex with Bond unless one wants to ignore the whole intended seduction scenario with her in her bathrobe and two glasses of iced champagne ready to go. Really?
    Craig the Terminator. That's just always been hilarious. And why can't he be that tough? He's not exactly playing it the way Sir Roger would. If he took a bullet in the mouth, spit it out, and went to the hospital, what would you say to that? Ridiculous, right? Not at all. Carmine Persico did this after taking that and two other bullets at the same time, not to mention surviving a car bomb with nary a scratch during the Profaci/Gallo war, 1963.

I'm surely not going to defend the Skyfall script as original when it clearly borrows from other films including all the nods to other Bond films, or clear at all when it comes to Silva's escape, so there are some other good points here. You clearly did not think the rest through very logically, and it otherwise smacks of an uninformed opinion with a general axe to grind.

• pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    Isn't this what he is trained to do? Regardless of whether there is extra security or not I think Bond is more than capable of a simple break in.
    Give Daniel Craig a classic Cary Grant haircut and while they're at it, he and the producers should go and watch a whole bunch of his movies, starting with Notorious.
  • I'm so glad that Mendes is coming back. the series has suffered since Brosnan's debut with the director musical chairs that has been going on. There has been a lack of consistency behind the camera.

My biggest fear with this however is that Bond 24 may wind up being practically identical to SF. I think Mendes is too clever to repeat himself, but I would have said the said of J J Abrams and he essentially reheated his first 'Star Trek' film with 'Into Darkness'. Those two films were far too similar.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Daniel Craig's hair
    Daniel Craig's suits
    Daniel Craig's beard
    Daniel Craig not knowing what Moneypenny's name is when obviously spending a lot of time wi her in the field yet knowing the complete background history of the new M without meeting him

Do actually you have a point?

Or do you think it's 2006 and craignotbond.com is a sound business proposition to take to the Dragons?
  • Daniel Craig's hair
    Daniel Craig's suits
    Daniel Craig's beard

Or do you think it's 2006 and craignotbond.com is a sound business proposition to take to the Dragons?

I answered the thread title, what's your issue, mummy didn't love you enough?
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited September 2013 Posts: 9,117
    Daniel Craig's hair
    Daniel Craig's suits
    Daniel Craig's beard

I answered the thread title, what's your issue, mummy didn't love you enough?

Well the thread title is:

'TOP 5 elements Bond 24 MUST have to tackle every bit of criticism that surrounded 'SKYFALL'

Seeing as you havent offered a single suggestion as to what Bond 24 should have just trite gripes about SF perhaps your mother should have been a bit more loving and actually sent you to a decent school so you could learn basic debating skills?
    1. Get away from this Christopher Nolanesque cycle. Get an original story - we all work hard at our jobs, I should expect EON to do the same instead of ripping off other movies (see above)

2. No more silly car chases, enough already.

3. Better Bond women.

4. Better villain.

5. Get rid of the PC.