A place for disappointed skyfall viewers

Comments

• I've read what's been said, I think there should always be discussion, if you read any of my comments you'll know that I liked the film as a whole but had certain reservations with certain plot elements. But what we all have to remember is that you can please most people some of the time, some people most of the time but you can't please all of the people all of the time. So be open to other views, you don't have to agree, just agree to disagree.

But I would say keep it to a single, thread, I should know I've been closed twice in less than a week.
    craigrules wrote:
    Getafix wrote:
    Sir Henry, I think that's the point of this thread. If you want to speak your mind freely without being accused of being a troll or (worse perhaps) a MR fan, then you're always weclome. Hopefully see you later! ;)

First comment i got was he has not seen the film if he does like it then i was a troll

Sadly, I think that epitomises what passes for 'discussion' in this day and age. C'est la vie.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but as much as I disagree with @DRESSED_TO_KILL/TOUCHMYBUTTONS - and still can't help but wonder how he eked by with an alternate profile - it's only fair to let him (and whoever the others are that disliked the film) have their own place to talk about it. No need for those of us who enjoyed ourselves to come in and bash him again.

If the mods allow it, let it be.
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    Of course there should be a place for people who were disappointed by or did not like SKYFALL. But then those people should be accepting other people's views. Insulting on both sides, however, should be avoided.
  • On the surface SF is without a doubt a great looking movie, though under its lavish looking look i agree with many of the flaws pointed out in this post. I am finding it difficult to like this movie, though its only one movie. I just hope the next film gets bond back on form.

Time will ultimately tell with regards to SF, i think once the hype and tribute elements die down which we are all caught up in one way or another, this film may be viewed very differently.

Of course i want any bond movie to be a success and SF is definitely that, it keeps the franchise going.

Of course there should be a place for people who were disappointed by or did not like SKYFALL. But then those people should be accepting other people's views.

Those who did like the movie refuse to accept the views of those who didn't. Which is why they have been posting on this thread in order to insult and undermine the guy who first created it.
  • edited November 2012 Posts: 6,432
    I have read on the net not necessarily on here, that people think SF is the best bond movie ever. obviously its my opinion though to suggest SF is the best ever bond movie i find ludicrous.

Lets think about it, does SF Have a better plot than every other bond? does it have better action? does it have better characters? does it have a better script? does it have a better film score? does it have better set design? is SF more original than the other movies? personally i am not sure there is anything original in SF. is SF More fun or more dramatic than every other film. personally i think it fails in most of these areas.
  • edited November 2012 Posts: 1,405
    Some of your points are well taken. For instance, the stolen list wasn't important anymore, without any explanation. What I found annoying is that and old Scot like Kincare, who knew the area very well, still need to bring a flashlight to find the Chapel!
    How dum can you be? Next thing he would have yell to Silva:

"Hey Sil' old pal, WE'RE HERE"!

But I was able to get past those annoyances to enjoy a very good performance by the cast on the whole.
    just a couple of things for the OP

1) The Harddrive was a Macguffin just like ATAC was in For Your Eyes Only
    2) Its the 50th annavisary they can borrow elements from Goldeneye such as the villian being a former Mi6 Agent why? because why not? its a celebration of Bond
    Zekidk wrote:
    I was hoping for SF to be the best action-movie of 2012. It's far from it. Even the remake of Total Recall had much more intriguing and better filmed action piece setups. And last years MI:4 is miles ahead of SF.
    IMO Bond films should be spy thrillers NOT action movies. When the series goes the action movie route the results are usually dire e.g TND, DAD, TWINE
    Please understand, that by leaving out any huge action setpieces for the entire runtime of QoS (from the 0.13 mark to 1.55), they are disappointing a lot of Bond-fans.
    Some of your points are well taken. For instance, the stolen list wasn't important anymore, without any explanation. What I found annoying is that and old Scot like Kincare, who knew the area very well, still need to bring a flashlight to find the Chapel!

This one is easy. Its landscape, its dark, the ground is uneven. M was shakey on her legs. You NEED a light to see, where there are bumps or holes etc in the ground in order to not fall or stumble.
    Has nothing to do without knowing where to go. ;)
    BTW Napoleon Solo (Ian Flemings' other spy) would have risked his life to save Severine at any cost to himself and then captured Silva as Illya brought in the choppers. Just sayin'. Looking forward to an UNCLE film whenever they get around to it.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    The only thing I was disappointed with about was lack of character development for Silva and Patrice. I feel like we didn't get to know them enough. But other than that I really enjoyed Skyfall.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    What I found annoying is that and old Scot like Kincare, who knew the area very well, still need to bring a flashlight to find the Chapel!

"Hey Sil' old pal, WE'RE HERE"!

To be fair, I know the woods near my house like the back of my hand but were I to enter it at night, I'd bring a flash light as well. It's full of nasty pits and chunks of wood sticking out. I don't want to break my legs. ;-)

• edited November 2012 Posts: 1,310
    Murdock wrote:
    The only thing I was disappointed with about was lack of character development for Silva and Patrice. I feel like we didn't get to know them enough. But other than that I really enjoyed Skyfall.
    Lack of character development for Silva? I agree that Patrice didn't get much screen-time (he didn't even have a line), but Silva had just about all the backstory you could ask for. Nearly every scene that featured Silva shed a little more light onto his character. Hell, even his opening monologue tells you a good deal about the way he thinks.

I enjoyed Skyfall, too, though. ;)
    More than we got for Largo in Thunderball. Please stop with the character development and get back to the larger than life Bond adventures. That said, I do like SF but it's time to move on or backwards or whatever.
  • edited November 2012 Posts: 11,425
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but as much as I disagree with @DRESSED_TO_KILL/TOUCHMYBUTTONS - and still can't help but wonder how he eked by with an alternate profile - it's only fair to let him (and whoever the others are that disliked the film) have their own place to talk about it. No need for those of us who enjoyed ourselves to come in and bash him again.

If the mods allow it, let it be.

Well said @Creasy47. DTK's views may not be to everyone's tastes bit he has a right to state them without getting a kicking. I can see he has been getting quite annoyed but he was provoked beyond all acceptable limits on the other thread by rude and offensive posts. I think he has already apologised for any offence he may have caused. It would have been nice if others could have shown the same contrition, but I don't think that's part pf their playbook.

Any way, I see this thread as a bit like Skyfall lodge. We have all the key characters present and correct. The goons are outside baying for blood, but we have our twenty minutes of screentime and this time round we're going to have the proper chat that Bond and M were never given the chance to have.
  • On the surface SF is without a doubt a great looking movie, though under its lavish looking look i agree with many of the flaws pointed out in this post. I am finding it difficult to like this movie, though its only one movie. I just hope the next film gets bond back on form.

Time will ultimately tell with regards to SF, i think once the hype and tribute elements die down which we are all caught up in one way or another, this film may be viewed very differently.

Of course i want any bond movie to be a success and SF is definitely that, it keeps the franchise going.

My concern is if this passes as the best we can do from Eon and the best Bond ever for critics the future looks grim.
    I've been trudging through some old case notes and dredged up some nuggets from the past, such as this little gem from March 2011:
    DarthDimi wrote:
    <blockquote><a href="/index.php?p=/discussion/comment/2645#Comment_2645">Quoting BAIN123</a>: To tell the truth I miss the more refined secret agent, the one who - despite his troubles - gets on with his job and doesn't need to be babysat by M every step of the way.
    <br>
    </blockquote>

A point well made, sir. To be honest, I think this is where some of the Bourne - and other - influences may come well into play. Audiences seem to appreciate the rougher version nowadays and so Bond's adopted the trend for now. I assume there's some space for the gentleman Bond now, especially since the earlier days of 007 might be considered over with the ending of QoS suggesting as much. Besides that though, Bond was pampered in a way by M, somewhat reducing the roughness but then in a way I can't fully appreciate. Other than making the gentleman resurface, I'd also want Bond much less closely controlled by M. Brief him on the mission and we'll handle it from there. Bond can go about his business and we know he'll do the right thing. All those 'red tape' conflicts really don't add anything to the game.

I have to say that I basically agree with what Darth and Bain were saying then and still feel the same way now, perhaps even more so. I personally found DC's Bond easier to like and care about in CR and QoS than SF. I get the sense that DC's entire tenure is going to be a psyschological journey of discovery, a la Bourne. To my mind SF was one long, yawn inducing and weakly plotted red tape conflict, overshadowed entirely by 'M'ummy. The centre of gravity with the DC era seems to be moving ever closer to Whitehall and away from any actual work that Bond might presumably have to do. You feel the weight of bureaucratic MI6 bearing down on Bond ever more oppressively. Perhaps this is what makes SF so 'Fleming'? As Mendes said in an interview, he knew that the central character of SF was M right from the start, which never gave us much hope of getting our old Bond back. Still, there's always next time... again.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I essentially agree with you, @Getafix, and it is another element in SF that I find very amusing. They closed the book on the Dench M. In fact, they closed it very permenantly I dare say. Such as it is, the way the final scene with the new (male) M played out, I have hopes that next time it'll happen along the line of:

- Bond.
    - M.
    - Here's the mission. You will find so-and-so, do this-and-that and 007,
    - Sir
    - This is the big one!

And no more M for the rest of the film, except, perhaps, in a funny coda.
  • DarthDimi wrote:
    I essentially agree with you, @Getafix, and it is another element in SF that I find very amusing. They closed the book on the Dench M. In fact, they closed it very permenantly I dare say. Such as it is, the way the final scene with the new (male) M played out, I have hopes that next time it'll happen along the line of:

- Bond.
    - M.
    - Sir
    - This is the big one!

or you may find his Ireland past comes back to haunt him
    craigrules wrote:
    DarthDimi wrote:

- Bond.
    - M.
    - Sir
    - This is the big one!

or you may find his Ireland past comes back to haunt him

@craigrules, I think that was the '95-'02 era!

@DarthDimi, I hope you're right! Although, given Dench's ability to jump across timelines, I wouldn't rule out her returning at some point in the future...

What I'm envisaging for Bond 24 is Bond battling a series of paternity suits dating back to the 60s and Moneypenny going after him for sexual harassment in an internal MI6 tribunal. It's got all the makings of a true classic. And to add the requisite 'Fleming' touch, perhaps Bond can set fire to his own flat at the end of the movie, before being carted off to Broadmoor.
  • M mentioned her late husband...

But did they have any kids...

Son of M... be afraid, be very afraid. Next up, Bond as an only child and his attitude to surrogate siblings.
    Why this was not in the original thread i do not know?
    RogueAgent wrote:

Because a few members made it very clear we were not welcome. It's not easy to have a bit of light hearted banter when you've got people screaming 'troll' at you in every other post or going on about how you must be Moonraker fan if you don't like SF. Any way, it's fine like this I think. The other thread's practically dead now any way - just a few 'best Bond ever' reviews and that's it - just how they wanted it.
    Getafix wrote:
    RogueAgent wrote:

Because a few members made it very clear we were not welcome. It's not easy to have a bit of light hearted banter when you've got people screaming 'troll' at you in every other post. Any way, it's fine like this I think. The other thread's practically dead now any way - just a few 'best Bond ever' reviews and that's it - just how they wanted it.

Surely thats what mods are for to stop it? If it don't work? Terminate them! B-) ;)
    RogueAgent wrote:
    Getafix wrote:
    RogueAgent wrote:

Because a few members made it very clear we were not welcome. It's not easy to have a bit of light hearted banter when you've got people screaming 'troll' at you in every other post. Any way, it's fine like this I think. The other thread's practically dead now any way - just a few 'best Bond ever' reviews and that's it - just how they wanted it.

Surely thats what mods are for to stop it? If it don't work? Terminate them! B-) ;)

If you ask me, it wasn't handled very even handedly, but these things are a difficult call and the mods do the best they can with a sometimes rowdy crowd! But then I'm a bit biased.

Any way, love and peace.
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    BTW, about the hard drive... The great and late Sir Alfred Hitchcock would have called it a "McGuffin"... It actually is a device, which actually gets the whole plot/story and movie going...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacGuffin

Same with MI:3, the object Davian wants to get his hands on (In German it was called "Hasenpfote", don't konow the English word) never is explaiend nor do we get a glimps on it.

Means the hard drive first gets Bond in touch with Patrice, then Patrice leads him to Shanghai and later on to Sévérine and finally with Silva himself.

Another thing is, I have to admit, that it is highly unlikely that Silva had planned all of this for years and years (the new MI 6 headquarters and all that). But then, hey, this is not documentary movie, but also a fabrication of fiction. People who want a more realistic movie on that topic, TAILOR TINKER SOLDIER SPY ahs this more downbeat approach and it is an excellent movie.

So lighten up, gentlemen, after all it is only a movie meant to entertain people and give them 145 minutes of fun...
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    Yes, but it's not explained enough.

Therefore: 1/10. The 1 is for that hot French chick.
  • JamesCraig wrote:
    Yes, but it's not explained enough.

Therefore: 1/10. The 1 is for that hot French chick.
    Personally, I would have found such an attempt at explanation sort of being talked down too. I was pleased with the way they used the device to get things going, and was fine with it becoming less important as the movie moved on.

This discussion has been closed.