HERE BE SPOILERS - Skyfall Codename Conspiracy

1235718

Comments

  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Posts: 4,141
    Most of my colleagues come from Eastern Europe. Christ, how you say "graveyard" in Romanian?
  • Posts: 7,561
    Well I guess I am the one that reignited this discussion (not before I was given an official warning mind you). Lots of strong feeling on this but not a lot of dealing with facts or evidence.

    My position is that the codename theory has not been contradicted, and nothing I have seen on this thread has persuaded me otherwise. I'm not dogmatic about it but it is a legit way of viewing the series.

    @RC7 claimed to have debunked my points but he barely addressed my points. I don't know what colonel sun has to do with it but you can only go on what it's in the film.

    Again you still haven't pointed out about the elephant in the room the times James Bond was not I repeat NOT 007 in the films and yet he was still James Bond specifically in the following films

    Licence to Kill
    Die Another Day
    Casino Royale( and don't give me the "he just liked the name nonesense the PTS he never got his 00 number he was fresh off of military intelligence)
    Quantum Of Solace
    Spectre

    Also what about Blofeld calling him James and saying he knew him since childhood if the James Bond is a code name wouldn't he call him something else? Or the fact that his birth home Skyfall has the graves of Andrew and Marie Bond and the groundskeeper who knew bond when he was a little boy also calls him James Bond?

    Again the theory is garbage and makes no sense what so ever
  • Posts: 4,167
    royale65 wrote: »
    Most of my colleagues come from Eastern Europe. Christ, how you say "graveyard" in Romanian?

    Cimitir.

    en.bab.la/dictionary/english-romanian/graveyard

  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Posts: 4,141
    Thank you. How do you say "I'm paying my respects to the mother of a distant colleague?"
  • Risico007 wrote: »
    Well I guess I am the one that reignited this discussion (not before I was given an official warning mind you). Lots of strong feeling on this but not a lot of dealing with facts or evidence.

    My position is that the codename theory has not been contradicted, and nothing I have seen on this thread has persuaded me otherwise. I'm not dogmatic about it but it is a legit way of viewing the series.

    @RC7 claimed to have debunked my points but he barely addressed my points. I don't know what colonel sun has to do with it but you can only go on what it's in the film.

    Again you still haven't pointed out about the elephant in the room the times James Bond was not I repeat NOT 007 in the films and yet he was still James Bond specifically in the following films

    Licence to Kill
    Die Another Day
    Casino Royale( and don't give me the "he just liked the name nonesense the PTS he never got his 00 number he was fresh off of military intelligence)
    Quantum Of Solace
    Spectre

    Also what about Blofeld calling him James and saying he knew him since childhood if the James Bond is a code name wouldn't he call him something else? Or the fact that his birth home Skyfall has the graves of Andrew and Marie Bond and the groundskeeper who knew bond when he was a little boy also calls him James Bond?

    Again the theory is garbage and makes no sense what so ever

    Yeah I don't think the theory can apply to the reboot.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited April 2016 Posts: 9,117
    Risico007 wrote: »
    Well I guess I am the one that reignited this discussion (not before I was given an official warning mind you). Lots of strong feeling on this but not a lot of dealing with facts or evidence.

    My position is that the codename theory has not been contradicted, and nothing I have seen on this thread has persuaded me otherwise. I'm not dogmatic about it but it is a legit way of viewing the series.

    @RC7 claimed to have debunked my points but he barely addressed my points. I don't know what colonel sun has to do with it but you can only go on what it's in the film.

    Again you still haven't pointed out about the elephant in the room the times James Bond was not I repeat NOT 007 in the films and yet he was still James Bond specifically in the following films

    Licence to Kill
    Die Another Day
    Casino Royale( and don't give me the "he just liked the name nonesense the PTS he never got his 00 number he was fresh off of military intelligence)
    Quantum Of Solace
    Spectre

    Also what about Blofeld calling him James and saying he knew him since childhood if the James Bond is a code name wouldn't he call him something else? Or the fact that his birth home Skyfall has the graves of Andrew and Marie Bond and the groundskeeper who knew bond when he was a little boy also calls him James Bond?

    Again the theory is garbage and makes no sense what so ever

    Yeah I don't think the theory can apply to the reboot.

    Course it can. There are people in the world with the same name aren't there?

    Craig's Bond is some random guy who happened to be called James Bond who then got promoted after his 2 kills and was given the codename James Bond 007 by MI6.

    What's far fetched (and utterly moronic) about that?
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Posts: 4,116
    Pretty much all of it.
  • Posts: 7,561
    Risico007 wrote: »
    Well I guess I am the one that reignited this discussion (not before I was given an official warning mind you). Lots of strong feeling on this but not a lot of dealing with facts or evidence.

    My position is that the codename theory has not been contradicted, and nothing I have seen on this thread has persuaded me otherwise. I'm not dogmatic about it but it is a legit way of viewing the series.

    @RC7 claimed to have debunked my points but he barely addressed my points. I don't know what colonel sun has to do with it but you can only go on what it's in the film.

    Again you still haven't pointed out about the elephant in the room the times James Bond was not I repeat NOT 007 in the films and yet he was still James Bond specifically in the following films

    Licence to Kill
    Die Another Day
    Casino Royale( and don't give me the "he just liked the name nonesense the PTS he never got his 00 number he was fresh off of military intelligence)
    Quantum Of Solace
    Spectre

    Also what about Blofeld calling him James and saying he knew him since childhood if the James Bond is a code name wouldn't he call him something else? Or the fact that his birth home Skyfall has the graves of Andrew and Marie Bond and the groundskeeper who knew bond when he was a little boy also calls him James Bond?

    Again the theory is garbage and makes no sense what so ever

    Yeah I don't think the theory can apply to the reboot.

    Nor can it apply to the previous timeline

    lets play a little game called "when they should of been called by something other then James bond

    Connery In Dr. No he is in the casino under no official capacity yet he uses the name James Bond Either because it's his real name or well there is no second option
    Lazenby Same deal going into the hotel He is not there in any offical compacity in fact a large portion of the film while he isn't officiall resigned from 007 He is acting on his own authority and is given a leave of absence yet continues to be known as James Bond
    Roger Moore same in The man with golden gun (though on officall assignment in the spy who loved me the whole tracy thing is brough up)
    Dalton Resigned from the british secret service in Licence to Kill he is not 007 he is not 007 for almost the enitre film yet he is still James Bond
    Brosnan Once again Die another Day Resigned NOT 007 and yet still james bond

    which can only mean one thing MI6 only hires people named James Bond to be 007 there all seperate people but all really named james bond and given the title of 007 because of their birht name By george we have it!

    or you know the morelogical thing of all 6 actors playing James bond 5 in one timeline and 1 (possibly 2) in another.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Posts: 9,117
    Wheres @Mendes4lyfe disappeared to? I'm still waiting for his earth shattering evidence that is going to make fools of us all.

    I suppose to be fair he still has 3 churchyards and a crematorium to do before bed.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe JK ROFLing
    Posts: 7,142
    Wheres @Mendes4lyfe disappeared to? I'm still waiting for his earth shattering evidence that is going to make fools of us all.

    I suppose to be fair he still has 3 churchyards and a crematorium to do before bed.

    Look out we got a badass over here.
  • MurdockMurdock Mr. 2000
    Posts: 15,967
    I want to see this Earth shattering evidence that the codename theory is legit too! Spill the beans!
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe JK ROFLing
    Posts: 7,142
    Murdock wrote: »
    I want to see this Earth shattering evidence that codename theory is legit too! Spill the beans!

    Then why don't you ask Wizard over there, he's put more words in my mouth than I have.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited April 2016 Posts: 9,117
    Murdock wrote: »
    I want to see this Earth shattering evidence that codename theory is legit too! Spill the beans!

    Then why don't you ask Wizard over there, he's put more words in my mouth than I have.

    I refer you to my post of 1.45pm on page 3.

    I'm not saying you agree with or like the theory just that you give it credence so I ask again for you to outline your reasoning that led you to this (increasingly untenable it seems to the rest of us) position.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe JK ROFLing
    Posts: 7,142
    Murdock wrote: »
    I want to see this Earth shattering evidence that codename theory is legit too! Spill the beans!

    Then why don't you ask Wizard over there, he's put more words in my mouth than I have.

    I refer you to my post of 1.45pm on page 3.

    I'm not saying you agree with or like the theory just that you give it credence so I ask again for you to outline your reasoning that led you to this (increasingly untenable it seems to the rest of us) position.

    And I refer you to your post of 09:05PM.

    "I'm still waiting for his earth shattering evidence that is going to make fools of us all."

    I never said any of that and you know it. Go find someone else to try and get a rise out of, you've failed here.
  • Risico007 wrote: »
    Risico007 wrote: »
    Well I guess I am the one that reignited this discussion (not before I was given an official warning mind you). Lots of strong feeling on this but not a lot of dealing with facts or evidence.

    My position is that the codename theory has not been contradicted, and nothing I have seen on this thread has persuaded me otherwise. I'm not dogmatic about it but it is a legit way of viewing the series.

    @RC7 claimed to have debunked my points but he barely addressed my points. I don't know what colonel sun has to do with it but you can only go on what it's in the film.

    Again you still haven't pointed out about the elephant in the room the times James Bond was not I repeat NOT 007 in the films and yet he was still James Bond specifically in the following films

    Licence to Kill
    Die Another Day
    Casino Royale( and don't give me the "he just liked the name nonesense the PTS he never got his 00 number he was fresh off of military intelligence)
    Quantum Of Solace
    Spectre

    Also what about Blofeld calling him James and saying he knew him since childhood if the James Bond is a code name wouldn't he call him something else? Or the fact that his birth home Skyfall has the graves of Andrew and Marie Bond and the groundskeeper who knew bond when he was a little boy also calls him James Bond?

    Again the theory is garbage and makes no sense what so ever

    Yeah I don't think the theory can apply to the reboot.

    Nor can it apply to the previous timeline

    lets play a little game called "when they should of been called by something other then James bond

    Connery In Dr. No he is in the casino under no official capacity yet he uses the name James Bond Either because it's his real name or well there is no second option
    Lazenby Same deal going into the hotel He is not there in any offical compacity in fact a large portion of the film while he isn't officiall resigned from 007 He is acting on his own authority and is given a leave of absence yet continues to be known as James Bond
    Roger Moore same in The man with golden gun (though on officall assignment in the spy who loved me the whole tracy thing is brough up)
    Dalton Resigned from the british secret service in Licence to Kill he is not 007 he is not 007 for almost the enitre film yet he is still James Bond
    Brosnan Once again Die another Day Resigned NOT 007 and yet still james bond

    which can only mean one thing MI6 only hires people named James Bond to be 007 there all seperate people but all really named james bond and given the title of 007 because of their birht name By george we have it!

    or you know the morelogical thing of all 6 actors playing James bond 5 in one timeline and 1 (possibly 2) in another.

    Oh I get what you're saying now. They would still have to use the name James Bond on downtime. It would be very awkward and unnecessary to have to use different names at work and at home/on downtime .

    I was thinking in CR he was called Bond before attaining 00 status but if that's not the case it can apply to the reboot.

    There is no 'earth shattering' evidence of said theory. But it's never contradicted as far as I know.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Posts: 4,116
    Woo hoo!! The battle is ramping up again.

    This is just like Christmas Story when that kid licked the icy flag pole..

    Actually heated topic so be nice... kudos to @Mendes4lyfe for taking all in stride even though I completely don't agree.

  • BennyBenny Perth, Western AustraliaModerator
    Posts: 10,234
    For anyone who believes the codename theory, or the very loose continuity between films. Blofeld not recognising Bond in OHMSS for example. How on earth do any of you enjoy many of the Bond films. Must be a nightmare.
  • Benny wrote: »
    For anyone who believes the codename theory, or the very loose continuity between films. Blofeld not recognising Bond in OHMSS for example. How on earth do any of you enjoy many of the Bond films. Must be a nightmare.

    The Blofeld thing supports the codename theory no?
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Posts: 4,116
    Trick with Bond is to just go with it ..don't over think anything.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited April 2016 Posts: 9,117
    Murdock wrote: »
    I want to see this Earth shattering evidence that codename theory is legit too! Spill the beans!

    Then why don't you ask Wizard over there, he's put more words in my mouth than I have.

    I refer you to my post of 1.45pm on page 3.

    I'm not saying you agree with or like the theory just that you give it credence so I ask again for you to outline your reasoning that led you to this (increasingly untenable it seems to the rest of us) position.

    And I refer you to your post of 09:05PM.

    "I'm still waiting for his earth shattering evidence that is going to make fools of us all."

    I never said any of that and you know it. Go find someone else to try and get a rise out of, you've failed here.

    That was clearly just hyperbole for comic effect while we all wait for you to offer anything.

    I'm quite sure there is no earth shattering evidence. At this stage I'd settle for a mild tremble that makes a leaf quiver slightly.

    I don't have the slightest interest in getting a rise out of you merely a scrap of anything that justifies this comment:

    Codename theory is just too substantial to be completely false. I wish I could dismiss it, but the evidence is right there.


    I don't understand why you claiming to be misrepresented. If the evidence is right there why can't you tell the rest of us about it so we can see it too?
  • Posts: 7,561
    Risico007 wrote: »
    Risico007 wrote: »
    Well I guess I am the one that reignited this discussion (not before I was given an official warning mind you). Lots of strong feeling on this but not a lot of dealing with facts or evidence.

    My position is that the codename theory has not been contradicted, and nothing I have seen on this thread has persuaded me otherwise. I'm not dogmatic about it but it is a legit way of viewing the series.

    @RC7 claimed to have debunked my points but he barely addressed my points. I don't know what colonel sun has to do with it but you can only go on what it's in the film.

    Again you still haven't pointed out about the elephant in the room the times James Bond was not I repeat NOT 007 in the films and yet he was still James Bond specifically in the following films

    Licence to Kill
    Die Another Day
    Casino Royale( and don't give me the "he just liked the name nonesense the PTS he never got his 00 number he was fresh off of military intelligence)
    Quantum Of Solace
    Spectre

    Also what about Blofeld calling him James and saying he knew him since childhood if the James Bond is a code name wouldn't he call him something else? Or the fact that his birth home Skyfall has the graves of Andrew and Marie Bond and the groundskeeper who knew bond when he was a little boy also calls him James Bond?

    Again the theory is garbage and makes no sense what so ever

    Yeah I don't think the theory can apply to the reboot.

    Nor can it apply to the previous timeline

    lets play a little game called "when they should of been called by something other then James bond

    Connery In Dr. No he is in the casino under no official capacity yet he uses the name James Bond Either because it's his real name or well there is no second option
    Lazenby Same deal going into the hotel He is not there in any offical compacity in fact a large portion of the film while he isn't officiall resigned from 007 He is acting on his own authority and is given a leave of absence yet continues to be known as James Bond
    Roger Moore same in The man with golden gun (though on officall assignment in the spy who loved me the whole tracy thing is brough up)
    Dalton Resigned from the british secret service in Licence to Kill he is not 007 he is not 007 for almost the enitre film yet he is still James Bond
    Brosnan Once again Die another Day Resigned NOT 007 and yet still james bond

    which can only mean one thing MI6 only hires people named James Bond to be 007 there all seperate people but all really named james bond and given the title of 007 because of their birht name By george we have it!

    or you know the morelogical thing of all 6 actors playing James bond 5 in one timeline and 1 (possibly 2) in another.

    Oh I get what you're saying now. They would still have to use the name James Bond on downtime. It would be very awkward and unnecessary to have to use different names at work and at home/on downtime .

    I was thinking in CR he was called Bond before attaining 00 status but if that's not the case it can apply to the reboot.

    There is no 'earth shattering' evidence of said theory. But it's never contradicted as far as I know.

    No not down time I mean Bond resigned and was not 007 in fact in ohms he corrects himself when answering the phone after resigning saying "00.. James Bond here" so code name theory is moronic now if you will excuse me I must plant flowers at every graveyard known to man.
  • RC7RC7
    Posts: 10,430
    Benny wrote: »
    For anyone who believes the codename theory, or the very loose continuity between films. Blofeld not recognising Bond in OHMSS for example. How on earth do any of you enjoy many of the Bond films. Must be a nightmare.

    The Blofeld thing supports the codename theory no?

    No. It supports the film they wanted to make at that particular time in the series. They don't worry about pedants like yourself when they develop and produce these pictures. Make OHMSS as per the book, or completely alter it to satisfy continuity pedants? The near masterpiece suggests they knew what they were doing.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe JK ROFLing
    Posts: 7,142
    Murdock wrote: »
    I want to see this Earth shattering evidence that codename theory is legit too! Spill the beans!

    Then why don't you ask Wizard over there, he's put more words in my mouth than I have.

    I refer you to my post of 1.45pm on page 3.

    I'm not saying you agree with or like the theory just that you give it credence so I ask again for you to outline your reasoning that led you to this (increasingly untenable it seems to the rest of us) position.

    And I refer you to your post of 09:05PM.

    "I'm still waiting for his earth shattering evidence that is going to make fools of us all."

    I never said any of that and you know it. Go find someone else to try and get a rise out of, you've failed here.

    That was clearly just hyperbole for comic effect while we all wait for you to offer anything.

    I'm quite sure there is no earth shattering evidence. At this stage I'd settle for a mild tremble that makes a leaf quiver slightly.

    I don't have the slightest interest in getting a rise out of you merely a scrap of anything that justifies this comment:

    Codename theory is just too substantial to be completely false. I wish I could dismiss it, but the evidence is right there.


    I don't understand why you claiming to be misrepresented. If the evidence is right there why can't you tell the rest of us about it so we can see it too?

    OK then. Since you are so persistent, I have always viewed the theory like this:

    whoever is the current James Bond is brainwashed and doesn't actually remember their true identity. 00's have a very short life expectancy, as we know, so each James Bond doesn't have many missions before they are killed in the line of duty. So what happened to the current James Bond simply gets incorporated into the profile. The next guy that comes along will remember having a wife that he was never married to. This explains why Blofeld doesn't recognise Bond in OHMSS, and why Bond forgets Japanese by the time of TND when he knew it YOLT. And it also explains why Judi Dench says Bond is a relic of the cold war in GE, but says she misses the cold war in CR. She has aged, and Peirce Brosnan died.
  • edited April 2016 Posts: 79
    @RC7 That's an out of film explanation. An in film explanation is codename.

    @Risico He's at work, if he said his former name it would mean nothing to the person calling him.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe JK ROFLing
    Posts: 7,142
    RC7 wrote: »
    Benny wrote: »
    For anyone who believes the codename theory, or the very loose continuity between films. Blofeld not recognising Bond in OHMSS for example. How on earth do any of you enjoy many of the Bond films. Must be a nightmare.

    The Blofeld thing supports the codename theory no?

    No. It supports the film they wanted to make at that particular time in the series. They don't worry about pedants like yourself when they develop and produce these pictures. Make OHMSS as per the book, or completely alter it to satisfy continuity pedants? The near masterpiece suggests they knew what they were doing.

    I see, so anything in the films that supports the theory is coincidence, but the stuff against it is concrete. Seems like you're being awfully selective to me.
  • @Mendes4Lyfe that's a plausible 'fleshing out' of the theory.
  • Posts: 4,325
    Are we still talking about this ...
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited April 2016 Posts: 23,883
    Murdock wrote: »
    I want to see this Earth shattering evidence that codename theory is legit too! Spill the beans!

    Then why don't you ask Wizard over there, he's put more words in my mouth than I have.

    I refer you to my post of 1.45pm on page 3.

    I'm not saying you agree with or like the theory just that you give it credence so I ask again for you to outline your reasoning that led you to this (increasingly untenable it seems to the rest of us) position.

    And I refer you to your post of 09:05PM.

    "I'm still waiting for his earth shattering evidence that is going to make fools of us all."

    I never said any of that and you know it. Go find someone else to try and get a rise out of, you've failed here.

    That was clearly just hyperbole for comic effect while we all wait for you to offer anything.

    I'm quite sure there is no earth shattering evidence. At this stage I'd settle for a mild tremble that makes a leaf quiver slightly.

    I don't have the slightest interest in getting a rise out of you merely a scrap of anything that justifies this comment:

    Codename theory is just too substantial to be completely false. I wish I could dismiss it, but the evidence is right there.


    I don't understand why you claiming to be misrepresented. If the evidence is right there why can't you tell the rest of us about it so we can see it too?

    OK then. Since you are so persistent, I have always viewed the theory like this:

    whoever is the current James Bond is brainwashed and doesn't actually remember their true identity. 00's have a very short life expectancy, as we know, so each James Bond doesn't have many missions before they are killed in the line of duty. So what happened to the current James Bond simply gets incorporated into the profile. The next guy that comes along will remember having a wife that he was never married to. This explains why Blofeld doesn't recognise Bond in OHMSS, and why Bond forgets Japanese by the time of TND when he knew it YOLT. And it also explains why Judi Dench says Bond is a relic of the cold war in GE, but says she misses the cold war in CR. She has aged, and Peirce Brosnan died.
    This is an interesting theory, if a little Bourne-like. So not amnesia in this case, but brain wiping, followed by memory implants? In the 1960's onwards to today?

    I just have three questions regarding this supposition just to make sure it's internally consistent.

    1. If both James Bond and 007 are codenames, and MI6 is a Secret Intelligence Service, then why do they choose the same name for agent 007 every time? The internal code number I can understand (just) but surely it would make more sense to change the agent's name at least every time there is a 'death and replace', in order to better protect each 'James's' identity out there in the field ostensibly populated by enemies. Even Treadstone agents in the Bourne franchise have different names.

    2. How do we explain the new MP during Dalton's time, again during Brosnan's time, and then again during Craig's tenure. If these Bonds are being memory wiped prior to active duty, surely it would be more cost effective and efficient to just keep the same MP, rather than finding a new one to take her place each time around. Unless you're theory also supposes the memory wiping extends to secretarial staff as well as agents? That seems a bit excessive to me.

    3. Similarly, is Blofeld also being memory wiped? If not, I should think he would at least recognize the name 'James Bond' in OHMSS and comment on it once the Sir Hillary disguise is outed, even if, by your assumptions, it is a totally different James Bond who visits him in that film after YOLT.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe JK ROFLing
    edited April 2016 Posts: 7,142
    bondjames wrote: »
    Murdock wrote: »
    I want to see this Earth shattering evidence that codename theory is legit too! Spill the beans!

    Then why don't you ask Wizard over there, he's put more words in my mouth than I have.

    I refer you to my post of 1.45pm on page 3.

    I'm not saying you agree with or like the theory just that you give it credence so I ask again for you to outline your reasoning that led you to this (increasingly untenable it seems to the rest of us) position.

    And I refer you to your post of 09:05PM.

    "I'm still waiting for his earth shattering evidence that is going to make fools of us all."

    I never said any of that and you know it. Go find someone else to try and get a rise out of, you've failed here.

    That was clearly just hyperbole for comic effect while we all wait for you to offer anything.

    I'm quite sure there is no earth shattering evidence. At this stage I'd settle for a mild tremble that makes a leaf quiver slightly.

    I don't have the slightest interest in getting a rise out of you merely a scrap of anything that justifies this comment:

    Codename theory is just too substantial to be completely false. I wish I could dismiss it, but the evidence is right there.


    I don't understand why you claiming to be misrepresented. If the evidence is right there why can't you tell the rest of us about it so we can see it too?

    OK then. Since you are so persistent, I have always viewed the theory like this:

    whoever is the current James Bond is brainwashed and doesn't actually remember their true identity. 00's have a very short life expectancy, as we know, so each James Bond doesn't have many missions before they are killed in the line of duty. So what happened to the current James Bond simply gets incorporated into the profile. The next guy that comes along will remember having a wife that he was never married to. This explains why Blofeld doesn't recognise Bond in OHMSS, and why Bond forgets Japanese by the time of TND when he knew it YOLT. And it also explains why Judi Dench says Bond is a relic of the cold war in GE, but says she misses the cold war in CR. She has aged, and Peirce Brosnan died.
    This is an interesting theory, if a little Bourne-like. So not amnesia in this case, but brain wiping, followed by memory implants? In the 1960's onwards to today?

    I just have three questions regarding this supposition just to make sure it's internally consistent.

    1. If both James Bond and 007 are codenames, and MI6 is a Secret Intelligence Service, then why do they choose the same name for agent 007 every time? The internal code number I can understand (just) but surely it would make more sense to change the agent's name at least every time there is a 'death and replace', in order to better protect each 'James's' identity out there in the field ostensibly populated by enemies. Even Treadstone agents in the Bourne franchise have different names.

    2. How do we explain the new MP during Dalton's time, again during Brosnan's time, and then again during Craig's tenure. If these Bonds are being memory wiped prior to active duty, surely it would be more cost effective and efficient to just keep the same MP, rather than finding a new one to take her place each time around. Unless you're theory also supposes the memory wiping extends to secretarial staff as well as agents? That seems a bit excessive to me.

    3. Similarly, is Blofeld also being memory wiped? If not, I should think he would at least recognize the name 'James Bond' in OHMSS and comment on it once the Sir Hillary disguise is outed, even if, by your assumptions, it is a totally different James Bond who visits him in that film after YOLT.

    Ah ha! This is where it gets interesting:

    1. Think about it, in the event of James Bond dying, the best cover name possible is James Bond. The enemy would be like, "nonsense, James Bond is dead. That doesn't even look like James Bond." Remember how in TB that official reacted when Bond told him that he had seen Derval dead. "No, not possible, sir."

    2. Moneypenny is switched for security reasons. If the enemy were to get their claws into MP like they did with Vesper, Government secrets could be at risk to the enemy. Every so often they replace MP so no one learns to much.

    3. Bond is undercover in OHMSS as Hilly. He isn't reveal as James Bond until later.
  • Posts: 6,432
    This theory is not new, I remember reading about it pre Brosnan. Alot of these fan fiction theories are banded about from time to time.
This discussion has been closed.