Kingsman: The Great Game (2019)

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    I can't wait for this film!
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Yes I'm really looking forward to it.
  • It looks cool but I'm actually on the fence. Really liked the first one but with all the world building done I was looking forward to just seeing Eggsy go off on a mission. Instead they seem to be destroying everything they built in the first one, and killing off a character they spent time developing (Roxy) so they can hit all the same beats again but this time in America. And bringing back Colin Firth is a bit of a cop out and really undermines the first one imo. It doesn't look bad, it actually looks really cool. But it's definitely not the direction I was hoping they'd go in. The best bits of the first one were when Harry was investigating Valentine, and when Eggsy went to stop him in the finale. Why can't we just have a whole film of that, just Eggsy on a mission, instead of more world building but this time without the social commentary aspect and more "look it's like the first but in America" gimmicks? I'm still going to see it and will probably enjoy it but it doesn't seem like the sequel I was hoping for. Ah well. Looks fun anyway, the action looks even better than the first so will probably be worth it just for that.
    edited August 2017 Posts: 40,490
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    That's an excellent poster. Shades of classic Bond. I'm increasingly intrigued by Moore's character. I can't wait to see her ham it up.
    I'm in love with that poster.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited August 2017 Posts: 15,690
    @bondjames great double-bill of Julianne Moore this year with Kingsman 2 and Suburbicon, not forgetting the classic Liam Neeson flick Non-Stop from a few years ago.
    @DaltonCraig007, I just commented on Liam in the 'Coming Soon' thread. I haven't seen him in anything in some time, and now that you mention it Non-Stop seems like a perfect way to get prepped for both his and Moore's return to the big screen shortly. I'll be sure to revisit it in the next couple of days.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    @bondjames Very good idea! Also keep in mind that Liam Neeson's next action flick , The Commuter, comes out in less than 5 months, and is basically 'Non-Stop 2', but on a train instead of a plane. And this time Vera Farmiga & Sam Neill are fellow passengers of Neeson's character (Michael Woolrich, very cool sounding name for Neeson).
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    That poster is fantastic.
    Great character posters. Love it.
    I love them all!

Although, it might just be me, but reading Ginger Ale, I couldn't help but hear Inspector Clouseau's voice as he orders one in a fake American accent. :))

For those who don't know what I'm talking about...
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    Oh, I love Clouseau! What's with Eggsy's orange tuxedo?
    Oh, I love Clouseau! What's with Eggsy's orange tuxedo?
    +1. Not a fan of the orange velvet coat, either. But, you know kids these days... Being flashy means stylish to them. ;)
    I can't friggin wait for this!! :D
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    edited September 2017 Posts: 3,144
    New TV advert in the UK featuring a couple of small creatures !
    Surgest you search Meerkat and Kingsman !!!...
    Manners maketh meerkat.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I'm seeing this on day one!
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    Hmm, not too sure about this, looks like a bit of a retread (the meerkat movie's good though), and Elton John FFS! I'll wait till I see some reviews before going.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited September 2017 Posts: 4,446
    Spectre: Halle Barry doing Eve parody and joke with balls looks simlar to Bond and the watch Q joke. Atleast it work in this tv spot.
  • edited September 2017 Posts: 19,339
    bondjames wrote: »
    Kingsman took me aback in the theatre. It wasn't quite what I was expecting and so I didn't know how to take it. Upon 2nd viewing I knew it was special - great creativity and style.

I'm all for a third, and it must mean they are very confident they have a winner on their hands with the second one.

It's interesting that they have a British main cast with an American villain. Sort of turns the usual approach (as per the Jaguar ad) on its head.

That sounds painful.
  • Yeah does seem like a bit of a retread in some ways, with them hitting the same beats but in America. Not really a fan of sequels that do that. But I think there'll be more to it than the trailers make out. My bet is the Statesmen will turn out to be villains.

I do wish they hadn't bought Firth back or gone for another big ensemble and instead had the confidence to just do an Eggsy on a mission film, but this is looking very good. Really excited for the car chase, that was a trope I felt was missing from the first. And hoping for at least one fight/action scene that's on par with the church scene.
    JET007 wrote: »

They fail to mention it'll be ridiculously overpriced for mediocre quality food. That's the Alamo for ya.
    The Alamo Drafthouse will also offer exclusive Kingsman whisky glasses.
    I saw a trailer of this today in the theatre. Agent Whiskey could be my new favourite.