Kingsman: The Great Game (2019)

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    That trailer just doesn't do it for me. I was expecting something else entirely, perhaps I read the plot wrong a while back. Just looks too goofy for my tastes, maybe I'll see it at some point.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    That trailer just doesn't do it for me. I was expecting something else entirely, perhaps I read the plot wrong a while back. Just looks too goofy for my tastes, maybe I'll see it at some point.

I feel the same, but I get a special feeling at the very short clips of the action scenes later in the trailer. Seeing Colin Firth kick ass and kill people in such a stylish manner might be worth the price of admission.

Seriously just focus on the second half of the trailer, all the cool jumping and spinning and neat tricks they seem to be pulling off. Worth. It.
    Some of the clips at the end look good, it just looks a little far-fetched and goofy for my tastes. I'm sure I'll catch it on Redbox.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    Creasy47 wrote:

I feel the same about it. I was excited to see what came up from this but honestly it didn't impress me in the least.
    Has anybody read the book and is worth the time??

I probably will see the movie.
  • edited May 2014 Posts: 12,837
    I'm in the minority here but I thought that it looks fun. Not sure what you were all expecting. It's not meant to be realistic or anything like that, it's meant to be a Kick Ass type film but James Bond instead of superheroes (so instead of normal American kid becomes a superhero, it's normal English kid becomes a spy).

Plus it's Matthew Vaughan and the bloke who wrote Kick Ass, and it has a great cast. It's also cool to see some gadgets after over 10 years of not having any in the Bond films. Yeah, I think this looks pretty good. Might go and see this.
  • Lots more to go if we want a competitor to give Bond a run for his money. 24's return is a good sign and we'll just have to wait and see if Justin Lin's Bourne will take off.

• SaintMark wrote:

The comics mix Roger Moore's James Bond and ultra-violence, so to say the least I didn't feel I wasted my time. It's also very short, so the loss of momentum in the end is no big deal.
    Really like the look of this film. From what I saw I think the humour is gonna possibly be a big part of it?
  • RC7RC7
    SaintMark wrote:

It's good fun. If the movie's anywhere near faithful, it'll feature Mark Hamill and Brozzer. Can't see that happening, but I live in hope. Trailer looks nowhere near as charming as the comics to me. Nowhere near Millar's best work, but the best bits are certainly omitted from the trailer. For the record I think the casting is slack.

Haven't read the comics and have no intention to. I'm not sure what to make of this trailer. Firth looks smoking, but I've got a feeling the trailer doesn't really show what the film's about. But I guess it'll be entertaining enough for at least one watch.
  • This movie seems like a waste of money.

At least they used Yusef's apartment room wallpaper in the beginning of the trailer.
    Thanks people for the feed back upon the novel.

I have spend my dough on the first two Richard Stark "Parker" novels instead.
  • edited May 2014 Posts: 12,837
    At least they used Yusef's apartment room wallpaper in the beginning of the trailer.

;)
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    What whas wrong with the title ''The Secret Service'' that there need the feel to at Kingsman.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    'The Secret Service' film more 'fun' than recent Bonds claims its creator.
    http://www.mi6-hq.com/news/index.php?itemid=11445&t=mi6&s=news

Wasn't planning on seeing it anyway.
    Murdock wrote: »

Could someone direct me to the Bond film where Bond cries in the shower? I must've missed that one.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Murdock wrote: »

Could someone direct me to the Bond film where Bond cries in the shower? I must've missed that one.

I believe that one was Wave-Link. :P
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    "It’s fun to see a spy movie that’s fun again. Now you see Bond and he’s crying in the shower….You don’t want to watch a spy movie that you want to kill yourself after"
    *facepalm*
  • edited July 2014 Posts: 12,837
    Dunno if anyone else reads Empire magasine but there was some very interesting stuff about this in the last one, which has got me very excited

*Apparently Firth isn't at all like you'd expect and is a real badass. He trained hard for the film and there are some amazing action sequences with him, the people doing the interview said the bit they saw almost made them wish he'd been cast as Bond

*There will be swearing and lots of violence

*The tone is close to Kick Ass so it's funny but it's not a full on comedy. They said that this film is to spy films what Kick Ass is to superhero flicks

*Apparently the only thing it really takes from the comic is the basic story (haven't read the comic but I remember in the Youtube comments on the trailer quite a few people said it was crap so I guess this is good)

*Samuel Jackson is the villain (I think called Valentine? Can't remember) and he has a big evil plan. There's more to the plot than the spy school stuff we saw in the trailer

*Matthew Vaughn said he was inspired by the story of Terrance Young taking Sean Connery and turning him into Bond (making him sleep in the suit, etc)

*Matthew Vaughn also said that he was in serious talks to direct CR and at one point was certain he got the job but in the end they got Campbell back instead. He says he was disappointed.

*The film is meant to kickstart a franchise. Vaughn compared it to what Spielberg did, they didn't let him make a Bond film so he went off and made Indiana Jones. They didn't let Vaughn direct Bond so he went and did The Secret Service.

*Apparently it's an old fashioned, 60s/70s Bond film but modernised. They said there was plenty of wit, gadgets, etc.

*It's a love letter to spy movies. As well as the obvious Bond influence there are nods to 24, Harry Palmer and The Man From Uncle

Trailer didn't blow me away but after reading that article/interview I really can't wait for this. Probably my most anticipated film right now. I'm definetely going to see it at the cinema
  • And, well, for those who want to see some snow in a spy movie :)

348106snow1.jpg

899434snow2.jpg

816572snow3.jpg
    Are they going to start casting Samuel L. Jackson as the villain in every movie now?
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Are they going to start casting Samuel L. Jackson as the villain in every movie now?

He's been a good guy way more often than a bad guy, he's not like Mark Strong who seems to have become Hollywoods go to guy for bad guy roles. The only recent instance I can think of where Sam was a villain was Django. And did none of the other stuff I posted make you excited for the film?
    edited July 2014 Posts: 40,459
    @thelivingroyale, he was a bad guy in 'Django Unchained,' 'Oldboy,' I want to say 'Robocop' (tuned out at the end, don't recall), and now this.

Swearing, violence, amazing action sequences, old-fashioned-yet-modernized Bond film, and a love letter to spy films all have me interested. The trailer did nothing for me, though. I think I'll go rewatch it again.

EDIT: Rewatched it, just doesn't do it for me. I'll catch it on Redbox probably. It's funny because a lot of it has 'Bond' stamped all over it, but I don't like it: people with metal limbs, tons of gadgets, etc., but there's something about it I don't like. I'd say the only shot that really impresses me is that ascending wall jumping at the end of the trailer.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited August 2014 Posts: 4,438
    Earlier Fox changed the movies release date to earlier release date, now the there delay the movie to February 2015.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/33301/fox-delays-vaughn-s-kingsman-by-four-months
    Fox Delays Vaughn's "Kingsman" By Four Months

By Garth Franklin Wednesday August 6th 2014 03:55PM
    Fox Delays Vaughn's "Kingsman" By Four Months

20th Century Fox has pushed back the release of Matthew Vaughn's spy action comedy "Kingsman: The Secret Service" by four months.

Originally slated for October 24th, it is now targeting a February 13th 2015 release - putting it directly against the film adaptation of "Fifty Shades of Grey".

The delay reportedly gives more time to both market the film and finish some special effects. As the film primarily appeals to males, it's expected to work as good counter programming against the female-centric "Fifty Shades of Grey".

Fox had previously booked the "Poltergeist" reboot for that date, but will now shift that to a July 24th release instead.

Source: 20th Century Fox

Look like this going to be like Batman Begins style. Paul Kirby work as Art directer of Batman Begins work as production designer on this movie. He also did some Art department work on GE, TMND and DAD.

Mabey this will be Matthew Vaughn first Dutch cinema succes for him, X-men First Class flops. Fox again not have trust in the movie and let Warner releasing this movie.
    Here's the second trailer:

looks like an enjoyable popcorn flic. Will probably go and see it.
    I was only entertained by the last 20/30 seconds or so. Other than that, the action sequences aren't for me. Also, check out his face at 2:24. They haven't finished the CGI on it, so it looks really horrible. Looks like the Big Head Mode from GE 64.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I finally heard about this movie today, and it looks pretty good, honestly, especially Sam Jackson as the villain.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I'll be seeing this on the principle that it looks like a fun movie and I'm a big fan of Firth.