Kingsman: The Great Game (2019)

Comments

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair

The suit song
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    RC7 wrote: »
    I never really understood why he'd confront White wearing a three-piece, despite the fact he looks cool as f***.

And that is a major contributing factor that needs no further explanation as to why Jimbo suits up.
    doubleoego wrote: »
    The difference between Firth and Craig is that Firth has a better build to carry off the look. Craig is too bulky for me. I'd prefer him to slim down.

True, but I also prefer to see that Bond simply isn't wearing suits during extensive action sequences. It doesn't make too much
    The difference between Firth and Craig is that Firth has a better build to carry off the look. Craig is too bulky for me. I'd prefer him to slim down.

True, but I also prefer to see that Bond simply isn't wearing suits during extensive action sequences. It doesn't make too m
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I think a balance is required. Sure he has to wear suits for one fight maybe (because he's Bond). However, not too much. Bond should dress for the occasion.

I personally liked Connery's balance in DN, TB & YOLT as well as Craigs in CR. In these cases they suited up nicely when needed but also had the casual look going when needed (and looked great in all cases).

The possible risk otherwise is cliche (something that Kingsman no doubt is trying to do with the suit thing).

As you said somewhere else @doubleoego - probably 80/20 but again it depends on what locations they're at. With this one, I'd expect a little more casual gear (or light linen suits) in Mexico and some sporting gear (like OHMSS) in Austria.
  • RC7RC7
    I never really understood why he'd confront White wearing a three-piece, despite the fact he looks cool as f***.

And that is a major contributing factor that needs no further explanation as to why Jimbo suits up.

Don't get me wrong, I'll take him looking cool as f*** over him looking appropriate, but I certainly prefer it when both boxes are ticked.

True, but I also prefer to see that Bond simply isn't wearing suits during extensive action sequences. It doesn't make too much sense to me. Seeing Bond in black outfit during the action sequence in Austria actually makes me kind of happy. That's how it should be.

Suits need to be worn for the right occassions if you ask me...

Then you don't understand Bond.

Bond irrespective of its degree of realism is supposed to be ridiculous. Bond is the epitome of the gentleman spy; so he's going to be wearing beautiful tailored suits for what may be absurd in the real world. Kingsman is going out of its way to promote that whole suave gentleman aspect made famous by Bond in the first place and the direct references to Bond in tge film underpins that fact.

tell me, what secret spy escapes wearing a jet pack and in a suit no less? Who wears a dinner suit under scuba diving gear? Who wears a dinner suit walking through a desert with not only the full suit on but with bow tie still done. As much as we'd all like to be Bond to some degree the fact is we're not. The charm of the character is the fantasy wet her you agree or disagree with those elements. Bond isn't your generic action guy. I think you and others aren't grasping the fundamental components of what an English gentleman is, which Bond is first and foremost. Bond in a suit standing around or engaged in serious action go hand in hand and should remain so. The more Bond is in a suit the better.

I think you are slightly overreacting here. Especially when you say "then you don't understand Bond". I think most people in here understand Bond, because they are, like you and me, fans with at least some knowledge of the character. I have never said that Bond should not wear suits during action sequences. At least, not as black-and-white as you think. Like @RC7, I think his type of clothes should be stylish, and classy, but should also make sense and should be part of the narrative.

The entire PTS from TWINE makes sense, at least from the point of narrative storytelling. A terr
  • edited January 2015 Posts: 11,119

True, but I also prefer to see that Bond simply isn't wearing suits during extensive action sequences. It doesn't make too much sense to me. Seeing Bond in black outfit during the action sequence in Austria actually makes me kind of happy. That's how it should be.

Suits need to be worn for the right occassions if you ask me...

Then you don't understand Bond.

Bond irrespective of its degree of realism is supposed to be ridiculous. Bond is the epitome of the gentleman spy; so he's going to be wearing beautiful tailored suits for what may be absurd in the real world. Kingsman is going out of its way to promote that whole suave gentleman aspect made famous by Bond in the first place and the direct references to Bond in tge film underpins that fact.

tell me, what secret spy escapes wearing a jet pack and in a suit no less? Who wears a dinner suit under scuba diving gear? Who wears a dinner suit walking through a desert with not only the full suit on but with bow tie still done. As much as we'd all like to be Bond to some degree the fact is we're not. The charm of the character is the fantasy wet her you agree or disagree with those elements. Bond isn't your generic action guy. I think you and others aren't grasping the fundamental components of what an English gentleman is, which Bond is first and foremost. Bond in a suit standing around or engaged in serious action go hand in hand and should remain so. The more Bond is in a suit the better.

I think you are slightly overreacting here. Especially when you say "then you don't understand Bond". I think most people in here understand Bond, because they are, like you and me, fans with at least some knowledge of the character. I have never said that Bond should not wear suits during action sequences. At least, not as black-and-white as you think. Like @RC7, I think his type of clothes should be stylish, and classy, but should also make sense and should be part of the narrative.

The entire PTS from TWINE makes sense, at least from the point of narrative storytelling. A terrorist attack occurs on MI6, so obviously there's no time to quickly change clothes for a more suitable, easy-to-wear, black overall. But in the case of SF the choice could have been made to start the PTS with work-wear. A bit like this:

goldeneye-opening.jpg
    The+Living+Daylights+-+Timothy+Dalton.jpg

And moreover, wearing the above attire isn't that bad idea, considering how much we have been complaining about Bond's "bad suits".

By the way, here's an example where I found Craig's suit actually perfect ("QOS" and "SF"). Especially in scenes that have no action:

behindtheseamsbond.jpg
    Qos-charcoal-suit.jpg

Actually, Jany Temime's choice of slim-fit suits reminded me a lot of Marjory Cornelius costumes for "OHMSS", which were equally cut-to-the-bone and slim-fit:
    185eeiw8irx8hjpg.jpg

By the way, if worn right, I think double-breasted can look quite good really. George Lazenby could wear it, so why not Daniel Craig?
    style_brown_blazer_vss.jpg
    8x3-blue-blazer-from-the-1930s-George-Lazenby-in-6x3-Blazer-845x554.jpg
    Nowadays I find Bond's suit quite ordinary, slim-fit or not. Everyone can wear it. Just bring in some needed zest. Similarly to what Matthew Vaughn is doing to "Kingsman". It would also help if Bond's tie has some more color in it. A bit like this! Purple tie and equally colored breast-pocket handkerchief. What do you think of this look for "SPECTRE" @doubleoego ?
    4083202deff5681ecddcadf0ebaa518a.jpg
    0790c6198afe8a2a7b4214586e8a0a69.jpg
    Fair points @Gustav.
    I had a problem with my internet connection. What you think of above example @doubleoego ? Bond with a purple tie?
    I had a problem with my internet connection. What you think of above example @doubleoego ? Bond with a purple tie?

It looks good; something I can see Bond wearing in a meeting with M. It's also a match I use from time to time for work.
    DrGorner wrote: »
    http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/de0610a6-9a43-11e4-9602-00144feabdc0.html
    Just a little article on the suits of " Kingsman".

Well, I can only say one thing: Matthew Vaugh is a very very good salesman of this movie ;-). I remember this picture when Craig wore a double-breasted suit. And it brought about some pretty negative reactions. I think it was because of Craig's glasses:
    1412070160793_wps_26_Celebrities_at_Chiltern_F.jpg

But he can also wear it like this, in the movie "Dream House":
    Dream-House-Suit.jpg

But people tend to forget that the double-breasted suit is already making a come-back....since 2013 I guess:
    Double%20Breasted%20Suits.jpg
    ESQ-chris-pine-style-double-breasted-suit-051513-xl.jpg
    photo2a.jpg

And I'm damn happy with that. Because even previous Bond actors wore the double-breasted with suaveness and style:
    Lazenby-Blazer.jpg
    Moore-Double-Breasted-Blazer-3.jpg

So, regardless of what Matthew Vaughn is doing, I do think Daniel Craig is equally a big trendsetter in fashion. I kindly advice Jany Temime to consult with Craig and ask him about what he thinks is fashionable.

Because we can't let "Kingsman" setting new standards in fashion. That's for BOND to do :-P!

DC is the ULTIMATE Kingsman!!! :-B
    Absolutely! DC is DA KINGSMAN lol :-P.
    I think it is most likely going to be a DVD watch for me?
  • DrShatterhandDrShatterhand Garden of Death, near Belfast
    edited January 2015 Posts: 805
    That Daniel Craig photo...it's not wearing a double breasted suit that's a problem. It's the fit of the suit.

Look how tight it is across his midrift and chest. Compare that to the blue suit worn by the guy in the photo below (the one with the Acer logo behind him, sorry don't know his name). His suit fits perfectly, nothing looks tight. The mobile phone in his trouser pocket is a bad look too for DC.

The material of DC's suit is also a bit odd...very shiny. As a result, looks cheap and nasty. You would've thought he'd had a good tutoring on how to pick and wear a decent suit.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Given the explosion in spy movies for 2015. Many like the Kingsmen
    High action fun shows. Has anyone hear any rumours of any possible
    TV spy shows ?
    That Daniel Craig photo...it's not wearing a double breasted suit that's a problem. It's the fit of the suit.

Look how tight it is across his midrift and chest. Compare that to the blue suit worn by the guy in the photo below (the one with the Acer logo behind him, sorry don't know his name). His suit fits perfectly, nothing looks tight. The mobile phone in his trouser pocket is a bad look too for DC.

The material of DC's suit is also a bit odd...very shiny. As a result, looks cheap and nasty. You would've thought he'd had a good tutoring on how to pick and wear a decent suit.

I also think that picture is quite bad. A real off-putting piece of paparazzi-photography. I'm sure it looked better if Craig actually posed in that suit....without glasses....and a smile.

By the way, it's actor Chris Pine by the way on that picture. He portrays Captain Kirk in "Star Trek" ;-). I do agree that the fabrics from Craig's suits in "Skyfall" looked a bit cheap. It crinkled too easily. But what about Daniel Craig on that picture where he wears a purple tie?
    edited January 2015 Posts: 23,883
    @Gustav_Graves, has Bond ever worn a double breasted suit, outside of Lazenby perhaps? I don't think so. That's more formal work wear traditionally or is used as a casual blazer normally is it not?

Personally, I don't think it's meant for a man of action like Bond.

Also, double breasted tends to work better on taller people with narrower shoulders/height ratio imo. I don't think it can work on Craig unless they make it super tight, like the one he's wearing in that terrible photo above.
    bondjames wrote: »
    @Gustav_Graves, has Bond ever worn a double breasted suit, outside of Lazenby perhaps? I don't think so. That's more formal work wear traditionally or is used as a casual blazer normally is it not?

Personally, I don't think it's meant for a man of action like Bond.

Also, double breasted tends to work better on taller people with narrower shoulders/height ratio imo. I don't think it can work on Craig unless they make it super tight, like the one he's wearing in that terrible photo above.

Ooowh yes, it was worn by Roger Moore as well:

"Moonraker":
    1979_moonraker_2.jpg

"Live And Let Die":
    live-and-let-die-2.gif

"The Man With The Golden Gun":
    Moore_BondDB.png
    Olive-Suit-2.jpg

"The Spy Who Loved Me":
    tswlm-dj-1.png?w=584

"For Your Eyes Only":
    FYEO%2BBlazer.png

Another one with George Lazenby wearing it:
    ohmss8-main.jpg

'M' wearing one in "Skyfall":
    Mallory-Double-Breasted.jpg

And another nice example:
    blog_tn_529.jpg

Funny though, Daniel Craig and Sean Connery are quite similar with their black tie suits:
    16_Essentials_Post14_AM_1.jpg
    edited January 2015 Posts: 23,883
    Thanks. I didn't recall Moore wearing it. It suits him very well. I always thought he looked good in anything though.

Still not sold on Craig in double breasted due to build/height. Maybe we'll get another out and about shot of him in one soon so we can see if he can pull it off (the double breasted photo above is not doing him any favours).
    Thanks. I didn't recall Moore wearing it. It suits him very well. I always thought he looked good in anything though.

Still not sold on Craig in double breasted due to build/height. Maybe we'll get another out and about shot of him in one soon so we can see if he can pull it off (the double breasted photo above is not doing him any favours).

It's not that I want to see Daniel Craig per se in a double-breasted suit. But I hope there will be some more...color in it. The picture I showed you above of Craig wearing a normal suit, but with purple tie and as an extra....a purple handkerchief. That just gives a bit more...."frivolity" to the character.

I still think "On Her Majesty's Secret Service" was a very trendsetting film regarding fashion. Not only costume designer Marjory Cornelius and Jackie Cummins achieved that, but also director Peter Hunt was actively involved in the wardrobe. As of 2015 the costumes from "OHMSS" can still be worn. A few examples:
    1c39c6b5119b40bddc1d1c713a62d2cc.png?itok=smgwPxgH
    OHMSS_Diana-Rigg-green-dress-beach-George-Lazenby_publicity-image_shoot.jpg
    search?q=fashion+on+her+majesty%27s+secret+service&biw=1280&bih=682&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=kFC8VNLQDsi9UYDJgZAK&ved=0CC0QsAQ#imgdii=91Ey3SsyXbeyCM%3A%3Bj0xmUwH3wZcofM%3B91Ey3SsyXbeyCM%3A&imgrc=91Ey3SsyXbeyCM%253A%3B9x-YfxFZ1i2pFM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fclothesonfilm.com%252Fwp-content%252Fuploads%252F2011%252F06%252FOHMSS_Diana-Rigg_wedding-ensemble-front_publicity-image1.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fclothesonfilm.com%252Fdiana-rigg-in-ohmss-a-wedding-ensemble-to-die-for%252F20920%252F%3B552%3B800
    Yes I agree with you on OHMSS. It has a very distinct look to it, and quite timeless in the clothing dept. I've always felt that way about CR too. If they are planning a deeper romance angle for SP, then maybe it will follow along the same lines with more classic fashion. If it's more action oriented, then maybe not.

I agree with you about a splash of colour in the tie. The purple you showed above looks good imo.
    Yes I agree with you on OHMSS. It has a very distinct look to it, and quite timeless in the clothing dept. I've always felt that way about CR too. If they are planning a deeper romance angle for SP, then maybe it will follow along the same lines with more classic fashion. If it's more action oriented, then maybe not.

I agree with you about a splash of colour in the tie. The purple you showed above looks good imo.

I very much agree with you on CR. Especially Vesper's "Chanel" vs. "Gothic" look. I loved it. It added to the mystery of the character:
    8206_640.jpg
    So Vue Cinemas UK did a surprise screening on the 9th if people asked for a "Kingsman Upgrade"...

UK peeps, it's out on Saturday exclusive to Vue
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Here is a comment from someone who attended an early screening.

" Just saw this at an advanced screening last night. Very entertaining and gutsy film by Matthew Vaughn, in the vein of the original Kick-Ass. Colin Firth has a jaw dropping sequence in the film that is going to blow everyone away. "

So I will go and see it, nice to start a year full of spy movies with a good one.

Sam Jackson never had a lisp when he was younger; it was a stammer he had and used acting to overcome it.
  • doubleonothingdoubleonothing Los Angeles Moderator

Thanks! Glad you liked it.
    It's certainly a fun film. Properly bonkers at times, in fact. But I actually can't wait to see it again.

There are some Bond references in there, but generally this is more what you'd expect from a Vaughn film than a Bond film. Crazy violent, very tongue-in-cheek, fun, and not something that requires too much analysis.