Skyfall Questions (Spoilers)

edited October 2012 in Skyfall Posts: 655
Hi, thought it would be good to start a thread so we can talk about certain parts of the film Skyfall. I would like to ask someone who has seen the film, what was the creature in the shanghi part where bond and a bad guy fall into this pit with a sort of lizard. what is the creature called, and did it seem animated to you. was it real?????

Comments

• CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    It was a Komodo Dragon. Yes it was completely CGI as far as I could tell.
    It's called a Komodo Dragon. It was completely CGI, but it didn't look it when the dragons barely moved. Once the second one started running, it was fairly obvious.
    I also have a question for people who have seen the film.

Was it just me, or:
    Was the issue of the hard drive totally forgotten about in the final act?
  • or ok thanks guys. do you think it ruined part of the film , or did you like it. i wasnt sure at first, but it is pritty classy. reminds me of the roger moore era, crocodiles etc.
    Nice little nod to LALD in there I thought. Subtle and not in your face. It worked for me.

Was it just me, or:

It was, but I don't think it was relevant anymore in the second act. I think the whole agents names thing was just a sick, perverted game to get at M and Bond. Once Silva came face-to-face with Bond and M, the damage didn't need to be done. His mission was now to kill M, as he tried to in the courtroom. It would've been nice to have a bit more on that, but IMO it was more of a setup to the second act rather than the core element of the story.
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 655
    they are real though and they are man eating creatures. it is quite realistic isnt it.

Did anyone see the CGI face of daniel craig on a stunt double, because ign says there was?????
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    Was
    Patrice working for Silva, or was he just a hired assasin?
    MrBond wrote:
    Was

Hired assassin. Paid for by Silva in the sum of 4m euros.
    robboadam wrote:

Was it just me, or:

It was, but I don't think it was relevant anymore in the second act. I think the whole agents names thing was just a sick, perverted game to get at M and Bond. Once Silva came face-to-face with Bond and M, the damage didn't need to be done. His mission was now to kill M, as he tried to in the courtroom. It would've been nice to have a bit more on that, but IMO it was more of a setup to the second act rather than the core element of the story.

I agree about that, but I think it should have been cleared up before the credits rolled, even a throwaway comment in the office at the finale.
    By the way, guys, no need for the spoiler tags. Anyone who clicks on this page is asking for it.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    MrBond wrote:
    Was
    Both. He was hired by Silva to steal the data drive and to assassinate the art collector in Shanghai.

Did anyone of your guys get gosebumps or realy excited when the bond theme started playing with the db5!!!!!!!!!! That was amazing. And then the gadgets, oh my god.

It had everything. But the story with M dying can never be done again by judy dench.

It also explores james bonds ancestrial home and parents. doesnt that make the best bond film. It explores stuff no film has before. Thats why i think its the best.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    What I liked about exploring Bond's childhood and his parents was that it was really subtely done, not rammed down your throat. His dad's gun, Kincade's little story and Silva walking past his parents tombstone were really well done.
    Did anyone of your guys get gosebumps or realy excited when the bond theme started playing with the db5!!!!!!!!!! That was amazing. And then the gadgets, oh my god.

It had everything. But the story with M dying can never be done again by judy dench.

It also explores james bonds ancestrial home and parents. doesnt that make the best bond film. It explores stuff no film has before. Thats why i think its the best.

The DB5 scene was an amazing moment in the Royal Albert Hall. The whole place went crazy, and so it was a bit of a letdown to just hear the audience in the cinema today do an excited mumble when it happened. Wanted everyone to go crazy like me! (cinema audiences are so reserved these days!)
  • lol, back to bonds childhood. i also aggree it was handdled very well. it wasn't to deep about it. Very well handled, but i feel some parts where cut a bit too short. maby its just me.

Does anyone think it was odd not seeing how bond got out of the ocean. who saved him ????
    He used the flare to find the hole he fell through. It was one of the few scenes that wasn't especially clear.
    He used the flare to find the hole he fell through. It was one of the few scenes that wasn't especially clear.
    Sorry, no, not that bit. i mean the begining when he is shot. The opening sequence. It doesnt show how he was saved.???
    edited October 2012 Posts: 8,034
    Oh, my apologies. No, I suppose we don't see it. I guess its just one of those "hero" things.
    its a bit of a plot hole, thats my only issue. i would like to have known how he was saved. maby the producers dont even know lol

I am presuming it was the bond girl at the begining. when he was on the bed. some parts just felt a bit of a flash, they happend so quickly.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Sometimes it's best not to fill in all the blanks and leave something to the imagination. I doubt it'll be on people's minds. They know that Bond has a nasty habit of surviving. That'll be enough I suppose. :)
    DarthDimi wrote:
    Sometimes it's best not to fill in all the blanks and leave something to the imagination. I doubt it'll be on people's minds. They know that Bond has a nasty habit of surviving. That'll be enough I suppose. :)

Exactly. Not so much a plot hole as a common plot device.
    I suppose, well put. The CGI moments are my only issue i think. I was told that theres a CGI daniel craig head on a stuny double. i need to watch it again to make my mind up about it .
    I suppose, well put. The CGI moments are my only issue i think. I was told that theres a CGI daniel craig head on a stuny double. i need to watch it again to make my mind up about it .

Only for the bike chase scenes as far as I'm aware.

I do not necessarily object to CGI when it's put to good use. DAD is how it's not put to good use. In this film though, even upon two viewings, I can't quite pinpoint where it was used (unless I go by what I've been told) so it leaves me quite satisfied with the results. Again, if CGI becomes indistinguishable from the real footage, then it's been well used. But that, of course, is the primary condition. Once it becomes too visible, I find it inappropriate for a Bond film.

• robboadam wrote:
    It's called a Komodo Dragon. It was completely CGI, but it didn't look it when the dragons barely moved. Once the second one started running, it was fairly obvious.
    Well some shots where the animals were pretty static could have been done with animatronics. When the animal is only a little part of the shot and you want to have something in the image when you choose where to put your camera, it can be far cheaper than doing CGI.

DarthDimi wrote:

I do not necessarily object to CGI when it's put to good use. DAD is how it's not put to good use. In this film though, even upon two viewings, I can't quite pinpoint where it was used (unless I go by what I've been told) so it leaves me quite satisfied with the results. Again, if CGI becomes indistinguishable from the real footage, then it's been well used. But that, of course, is the primary condition. Once it becomes too visible, I find it inappropriate for a Bond film.

The only time I rolled my eyes with regards to CGI was when the helicopters turned up at Silva's island. I don't really see the need to CGI helicopters.
    oh yeah, forgot about that. Yes, that was properbly the worse. but everything else was hardly noticable. still a great bond film and one of the best, if not the best in my case.

Its certainly the best since goldeneye.
    oh yeah, forgot about that. Yes, that was properbly the worse. but everything else was hardly noticable. still a great bond film and one of the best, if not the best in my case.

I agree.
    The only time I rolled my eyes with regards to CGI was when the helicopters turned up at Silva's island. I don't really see the need to CGI helicopters.

I guess that's debatable. I don't remember noticing it was CGI, in fact I now have to take your word for it because I'm still not entirely convinced. I will be giving the film a third viewing this Sunday and I will pay closer attention to it.

In your opinion. Don't state is as a fact please. For example: IMO, it's way better than QOS though just not as good as CR.