Roger Moore's Bond movies; which are your favourites and Why?

Comments

• chrisisall wrote:
    LOL, now we're discussing the GF/DAF/LALD/TMWTGG quadrilogy?? b-(

Other than being directed by the same lousy director, what do these films have in common?
    Sorry, Signed_By_RogerMoore, but are you really saying AVTAK is better than Goldfinger-?!

Goldfinger is better than anything?

Anything but TB, yes it is...

So, the entire rest of the series besides Thunderball ranks lower for you than the one film where Bond is a hapless captive the whole time?

I'd say that GF and TB are tied at the top of my list, and that AVTAK is somewhere at the bottom with DAD and Timmy...
  • chrisisall wrote:
    LOL, now we're discussing the GF/DAF/LALD/TMWTGG quadrilogy?? b-(

Other than being directed by the same lousy director, what do these films have in common?
    Sorry, Signed_By_RogerMoore, but are you really saying AVTAK is better than Goldfinger-?!

Goldfinger is better than anything?

Anything but TB, yes it is...

So, the entire rest of the series besides Thunderball ranks lower for you than the one film where Bond is a hapless captive the whole time?

^ "time to get rid of an unwanted guest"
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    chrisisall wrote:
    A playful sense of humour...?
    :P

TMWTGG I'll give you. LALD didn't have much of a sense of humor (nothing really seemed funny, except maybe that cab driver), DAF's "humor" was relegated to Blofeld in Drag and Wint & Kidd, and GF wasn't funny at all.
  • As for ranking Roger's movies, I'd list them like this:
    1. Spy
    2. LALD
    3. OP
    4. FYEO
    5. TMWTGG
    6. Moon
    7. AVTAK
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    As for ranking Roger's movies, I'd list them like this:
    1. Spy
    2. LALD
    3. OP
    4. FYEO
    5. TMWTGG
    6. Moon
    7. AVTAK
    My list would be:
    1. TSWLM/TMWTGG/OP
    2. FYEO/ LALD
    3. MR/AVTAK
  • Octopussy is the most underrated Bond film of all time

Absolutely 1000% seconded!!! It's a great movie and it's unfortunate that people so often gloss over it in their rankings.
    00Beast wrote:
    I rank Roger Moore's 007 movies like this:

1. A View to a Kill- call me foolish, but this was one of my earliest Bond experiences, so it gets points there, and I also believe it has a terrific storyline, one of the greatest villains of all time, a kick-butt soundtrack, and Roger is THE MAN in his last adventure!

AVTAK is a great Bond film and I agree with all your points. I woke up at 5am on holiday once just to watch it for the first time after having recorded it the night before. I have a massive soft spot for it...miles ahead of all the Brosnan/Craig films in terms of entertainment, quality and darkness.

Thank you!! Somebody else around here has some sense about AVTAK!! It's a legendary masterpiece, how does it get so overlooked?!

I would definitely say so! Goldfinger is the worst Bond movie of all time! A View to a Kill is leagues ahead of such an atrocity!
    As for ranking Roger's movies, I'd list them like this:
    1. Spy
    2. LALD
    3. OP
    4. FYEO
    5. TMWTGG
    6. Moon
    7. AVTAK

My list is:
    1. Spy
    2. LALD
    3. TMWTGG
    4. OP
    5. Moon
    6. FYEO
    7. AVTAK

• 00Beast wrote:
    00Beast wrote:
    I rank Roger Moore's 007 movies like this:

1. A View to a Kill- call me foolish, but this was one of my earliest Bond experiences, so it gets points there, and I also believe it has a terrific storyline, one of the greatest villains of all time, a kick-butt soundtrack, and Roger is THE MAN in his last adventure!

AVTAK is a great Bond film and I agree with all your points. I woke up at 5am on holiday once just to watch it for the first time after having recorded it the night before. I have a massive soft spot for it...miles ahead of all the Brosnan/Craig films in terms of entertainment, quality and darkness.

Thank you!! Somebody else around here has some sense about AVTAK!! It's a legendary masterpiece, how does it get so overlooked?!

I would definitely say so! Goldfinger is the worst Bond movie of all time! A View to a Kill is leagues ahead of such an atrocity!

Oh ok, I get it, it's just opposite day or something cuz normally what you just said would be the stupidest thing I've ever heard. I need to get an opposite day calendar...
    00Beast wrote:
    Goldfinger is the worst Bond movie of all time!

Hahahahaha, I love a good joke!

Absolutely 1000% seconded!!! It's a great movie and it's unfortunate that people so often gloss over it in their rankings.

It's a film I have always liked. But only since Daniel Craig became Bond has it really shot up my rankings to an all time high of third (and even then I think it's low). I love it. It's a beautiful film in so many ways and is one of the most tensest of all the Bond's

I shall sum up people's review of Octopussy in three steps:

1) Roger Moore was and looked too old and should have gave up after FYEO
    2) Tarzan bit ruins it
    3) Bond in a clown suit is stupid

That's it. That's how people look at OP. No analysis of the plot and the story, the performances, the action sequences, the tense, dark moments. No, they focus on those three things.

Firstly, Roger Moore looked superb in Octopussy, better than he did in For Your Eyes Only in my opinion. He was physically fit and he looked much younger than his actual age. There was no problems of him looking old or that like there may have been in AVTAK two years later. It's not what he looks like, it's the performance he gives. For me, Moore gives one of his very best performances and one of the best 007 performance in the whole series. We know he's perfect and a master at the love scenes and one liners. But there is more to him than that...he's a fine actor and if anyone doubts this, just watch Octopussy. He plays the darker, tenser moments superbly and there are a lot of them in Octopussy. As I have said a million times before, the whole Germany/Train/Defuse the bomb sequence in Octopussy is the series best at most sustained tension. Terrific in everything and this is testimony to Moore. In Octopussy, you see an anger in Moore at the villains, especially Orlov. There is fear and agitation, anxiety etched in his words and face. The jungle chase aswell exhibits this. Moore was amazing in this film, this is unquestionable.

Secondly, the Tarzan scene. Yes, this is the worst part of Octopussy. But Moore haters use these five seconds of comedic indulgence to bash Moore and Octopussy and dismiss it so as to place the Craig/Brosnan films higher. It's disgraceful. The tarzan scene takes place in the midst of a terrific and tense chase through the jungle. Paying homage to the Most Dangerous Game, Bond is scared. The odds are against him and he is being chased, hunted like a common animal. He is disheveled and he is anxious. He's falling over and stumbling his way through, hiding amongst wildlife and plants. It's amazing cinema and again, credit to Moore. There is more to the sequence than the Tarzan yell, look past that and you will see a fine chase up there with the series best.

Lastly, James Bond is a spy. A spy uses all manner of means to get the jobs done. Some of these can be disguises. Not being funny, the best way to get into a circus is dressing up as a clown. It's stupid to criticise Moore and the film for this because it's a tool he uses to get the job done like any Q gadget or fight scene. Moore plays it straight as well, there are no gags, mucking about. The great acting that has built up throughout the Germany sequence concludes in the most dramatic of ways. Bond is scared and worried and there is real panic in his voice and actions (as seen by the clown costume). Why people criticise the film for this is beyond me. I suppose people want Bond in a suit punching his way through> It's unrealistic and he would have been stopped. The clown aspect of it adds to the terror simply because a clown is a figure of fun and he is anything but in the mood for laughing. It's a great conclusion to a terrific sequence.

The criticism of OP is shambolic and I am yet to hear valid reasons for why OP is so underrated, under valued and heaily criticised.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Octopussy is Roger's Second Best. I enjoy the movie. It's one of my faves.

Roger is excellent and looks like he's still in his 40's
    Kamal Khan, is a classy villain who reminds me of Dr. No in fact Octopussy feels like Dr. No.

Excellent movie all around.
    OP is a fine film, and it was so much better than NSNA in the same year. THAT'S Entertainment!
  • Murdock wrote:
    Octopussy is Roger's Second Best. I enjoy the movie. It's one of my faves.

Roger is excellent and looks like he's still in his 40's
    Kamal Khan, is a classy villain who reminds me of Dr. No in fact Octopussy feels like Dr. No.

Excellent movie all around.
    chrisisall wrote:
    OP is a fine film, and it was so much better than NSNA in the same year. THAT'S Entertainment!

I cannot argue with this. I will always defend and fight for it. It gets bashed for no reason and I don't get why.

I think it's because it's Moore...if Dalton or Craig had done it, people would have raved. It's sad really.
    I think that Moonraker left a REALLY bad taste in everyone's mouth back in 1979, and even to this day, many associate Moore with that "Here's to us" nonsense. Back in '77 I felt that TSWLM was good fun, but when MR came out, I was aghast. But being the dutiful Bond fan, I saw the rest as they came, and enjoyed them mostly, however, I can see how MR was the stumbling block- the 'cheating on' a lover can't quite get over... if that makes sense.
  • chrisisall wrote:
    I think that Moonraker left a REALLY bad taste in everyone's mouth back in 1979, and even to this day, many associate Moore with that "Here's to us" nonsense. Back in '77 I felt that TSWLM was good fun, but when MR came out, I was aghast. But being the dutiful Bond fan, I saw the rest as they came, and enjoyed them mostly, however, I can see how MR was the stumbling block- the 'cheating on' a lover can't quite get over... if that makes sense.

I was born in 1988 so missed out on the Moore era. Put it this way, using your analogy of the cheating lover, since GE, I have been cheated on 5 times!

For me, there is nothing wrong with MR and is a favourite of mine. I can see the issue of Bond in space being a cause of concern for some. But for me, I like it very much
    I can see the issue of Bond in space being a cause of concern for some. But for me, I like it very much
    Me and my friends had no trouble at all with Bond in space (the FX were flawless, the music sublime, Rog in top form, the bad guy so bad), we just couldn't get around Jaws... sadly.....
    (:|
  • chrisisall wrote:
    I can see the issue of Bond in space being a cause of concern for some. But for me, I like it very much
    Me and my friends had no trouble at all with Bond in space (the FX were flawless, the music sublime, Rog in top form, the bad guy so bad), we just couldn't get around Jaws... sadly.....
    (:|

Jaws is Moonraker's down point (as I said in my little review earlier in the thread). I much preferred Chan and found him more menacing than most henchmen. Jaws should have died in the PTS at worst and at best, should have never returned.
  • chrisisall wrote:

Everyone? Does that include me and Javier Bardem? Both fans of MR
    Speak for yourself my friend. I LOVE Moonraker
    "I think he is attempting re entry"
    "Take me round the earth one last time"
    LALD is my favorite because it's so much fun. I love the action sequences, the music, the plot, Jane Seymour and Mr. Big.

OP is my next favorite because I loved the story and the character of Octupussy. She's working with the villians but ends up being an ally. Her motivation is believable and she has great chemistry with Moore.
    dkwookie wrote:
    Everyone?
    Very sorry; poor choice of words- I meant everyone I consorted with at the time, cinematically.
    ;)
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 31
    chrisisall wrote:
    dkwookie wrote:
    Everyone?
    Very sorry; poor choice of words- I meant everyone I consorted with at the time, cinematically.
    ;)

Ok then :) just trying to point out that blokes of a certain age love that film. I liked Javier talking about Jaws at the premier. What he said about him put him right in the same bracket as me with that film.

I guess it's also a family thing. TSWLM and MR were good times as a kid.

Edit: an interesting take on the music
    marymoss wrote:
    LALD is my favorite because it's so much fun. I love the action sequences, the music, the plot, Jane Seymour and Mr. Big.
    To quote a character, "AH HAHA HAHAH HA HAHAHA!"
    :))
    I can't exactly remember how many times I saw that in the cinema as a kid, but I sure did light up hairspray a lot after!! 8-|
    edited October 2012 Posts: 17,691
    dkwookie wrote:
    Ok then :) just trying to point out that blokes of a certain age love that film.
    Yeah, I was 19 by then, and goofy stuff didn't sit well with me, me being all SERIOUS and s**t... :))
  • I wish I had been alive in the Moore era :(
    I wish I had been alive in the Moore era :(

But then you wouldn't be so young now! [-X
    Jaws should have died in the PTS at worst and at best, should have never returned.
    And then I would own the movie... *sadface*

chrisisall wrote:
    00Beast wrote:
    Goldfinger is the worst Bond movie of all time!

Hahahahaha, I love a good joke!

Too bad it wasn't a joke! Just the cold, hard facts!
  • Goldfinger is one of the worst Bond movies of the series. I would rather look directly into the sun than invariably watch a viewing. Only Diamonds, Solace and Die Another Day are possible worse than Connery's third effort

Don't think so ? Go and have a watch -