Bond 24 pre production has started

Comments

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I don't think so. We should wait for something concrete otherwise it's just another speculation thread and we have enough of those as it is.
    Shardlake wrote:
    John Glen was a hack but he was a good action director who I think consistently (apart from AVTAK) delivered great Bond films for years.

I'd rather have another Glen than another arty farty director who turns up, does one and never comes back, no matter how much praise and Oscar talk that one film gets.

SF was great but Mendes is already on about how tiring it is, etc. Now he could return, and if he does then that's fantastic, but I'm not sure he will.

Another made by a committee entry, maybe that is satisfying to you but I think we've seen enough of those type of entries and EON know this, the next entry won't be a Glen or a Campbell it will more like Mendes, Boyle or maybe Tom Hooper.

Only a Bond fan would sing the praises of John Glen.

Are you having a go at Bond fans or John Glen or both?

Imo Glen gave us some excellent films. Give me TLD over anything post-Glen. It's the last classic Bond movie IMO.
  • Getafix wrote:
    Are you having a go at Bond fans or John Glen or both?

Imo Glen gave us some excellent films. Give me TLD over anything post-Glen. It's the last classic Bond movie IMO.

It depends on how you define classic. Is it the collection of elements or the execution? I can understand how some people think that TLD was the last "classic" Bond film in terms of some of the elements contained within the film, but the execution was good but not great. I much prefer the direction of Campbell (in both GE and CR) or Mendes to Glen. Glen had some nice touches (his use of push shots to give a scene more energy) but his "style", such as it was, was pretty played out by the end of his tenure IMHO.

Risico007 wrote:
    while unrealistic we at least havev a new bond 24 rumor filming start date in September.

Should it warrant a new thread or no?

No, this is not a source, we should give too much serious thought.

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Nice to see something else that hopefully has some truth to it. Roll on Summer.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Risico007 wrote:
    while unrealistic we at least havev a new bond 24 rumor filming start date in September.

Should it warrant a new thread or no?
    We have this thread for any and all Bond 24 rumors:

http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/3995/bond-24-rumor-bin/p1
  • http://www.geeksofdoom.com/2013/02/15/sam-mendes-may-return-to-direct-bond-24

If this article is true, it seems like Mendes does not want originality with Craig's Bond by not wanting a two-part story. Like I've said before, 4th movie curse formula seems likely to be set in motion. Less originality is going to drive the producers once again to follow the same pattern of predictable films during the pre-2006 years. Oh well, I guess 19 out of 23 films is not enough! The world is not enough!

Boom bang, kiss, boom, sacrifice lamb, boom, mwahahaha take over the world, boom, "oh james", the end....
  • edited February 2013 Posts: 4,619
    If this article is true, it seems like Mendes does not want originality with Craig's Bond by not wanting a two-part story. Like I've said before, 4th movie curse formula seems likely to be set in motion. Less originality is going to drive the producers once again to follow the same pattern of predictable films during the pre-2006 years. Oh well, I guess 19 out of 23 films is not enough! The world is not enough!

Boom bang, kiss, boom, sacrifice lamb, boom, mwahahaha take over the world, boom, "oh james", the end....

What the hell??? Are you saying Bond 24 can't possibly be any original if it's a standalone film?

What the hell??? Are you saying Bond 24 can't possibly be any original if it's a standalone film?

It could very well be the 'first part' of a story arc, without B24+25 being a 'two-parter'. I'm almost positive the two films' stories will be linked to one another.
  • I don't mean to say that it can't be original as a stand alone but just this whole idea of not wanting to try something new from the start follows down that 4th movie curse path. Plus, there's still Quantum to get back to. A two part story arc can enhance the ability for the story to proceed and be elaborated upon. This whole idea of trying to immitate the past/connery is not going to help but create another DAD. The history of this franchise has risked a lot from mistakes that shouldn't be repeated. TMWTGG DAF DAD
    I don't mean to say that it can't be original as a stand alone but just this whole idea of not wanting to try something new from the start follows down that 4th movie curse path. Plus, there's still Quantum to get back to. A two part story arc can enhance the ability for the story to proceed and be elaborated upon. This whole idea of trying to immitate the past/connery is not going to help but create another DAD. The history of this franchise has risked a lot from mistakes that shouldn't be repeated. TMWTGG DAF DAD

Not wanting to do two full movies in the same amount of time as making one (essentially doubling your load) is a slippery slope? They don't don't want to do twice the work in the same amount of time.. I don't see more focus on the one film is en route to a bad film.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    The 4th movie curse? What a superstitious load of bull.

Bond 24/25 wouldn't be the first linked story, as we basically got that in CR and QoS where they literally led into one another and wrapped up things left hanging in the balance between the films (Vesper, Yusef, Quantum). And trust me, if Mendes isn't feeling comfortable with the direction the script/film is going, he will back out. He has openly stated that time and time again.
    honestly the only curse I thought of with Bond was the even number curse the second actor to play bond and the 4th actor to play bond both did less then there odd number counter parts but with Craig confirmed for Bond 24 and having done 3 films I am confident that was just bad cirumstances regarding Dalton and Lazenby and no real curse.

I have no idea of this 4th film curse Die another Day was bad but Moonraker was hardly week and many put Thunderball well above goldfinger

so no I have no idea what 4th film curse your talking about
    Risico007 wrote:
    honestly the only curse I thought of with Bond was the even number curse the second actor to play bond and the 4th actor to play bond both did less then there odd number counter parts but with Craig confirmed for Bond 24 and having done 3 films I am confident that was just bad cirumstances regarding Dalton and Lazenby and no real curse.

I have no idea of this 4th film curse Die another Day was bad but Moonraker was hardly week and many put Thunderball well above goldfinger

so no I have no idea what 4th film curse your talking about

Also, though some Bond films aren't critically lauded, they are all very financially successful, so there is no real curse at all for any of the films, also considering that curses are absolutely farcical ideas and only housed in superstitious minds.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited February 2013 Posts: 5,978
    I don't mean to say that it can't be original as a stand alone but just this whole idea of not wanting to try something new from the start follows down that 4th movie curse path. Plus, there's still Quantum to get back to. A two part story arc can enhance the ability for the story to proceed and be elaborated upon. This whole idea of trying to immitate the past/connery is not going to help but create another DAD. The history of this franchise has risked a lot from mistakes that shouldn't be repeated. TMWTGG DAF DAD

I can't imagine Craig doing a DAD. He basically hired Mendes and Babs is clearly on board with the darker, serious direction Craig wants to take Bond.

I'd prefer them to go back to Quantum eventually but I see how they could be leery of it after QoS lacked critical acclaim.
  • Brady, the producers left lots of control to DC and Mendes for Skyfall and they want him to come back. Of course DC will make sure that John Logan rewrites a new script if he has to avoid a two-parter. Please don't mention GF on these boards, we all know it's not quite as it's hyped to be and it's and exhaustingly homaged film for each of the last 4 movies one way or another. But that's another discussion topic...
    Brady, the producers left lots of control to DC and Mendes for Skyfall and they want him to come back. Of course DC will make sure that John Logan rewrites a new script if he has to avoid a two-parter. Please don't mention GF on these boards, we all know it's not quite as it's hyped to be and it's and exhaustingly homaged film for each of the last 4 movies one way or another. But that's another discussion topic...

But...I didn't say a thing about GF... :-/
  • edited February 2013 Posts: 2,081
    echo wrote:

I can't imagine Craig doing a DAD. He basically hired Mendes and Babs is clearly on board with the darker, serious direction Craig wants to take Bond.

I'd prefer them to go back to Quantum eventually but I see how they could be leery of it after QoS lacked critical acclaim.

Well, it goes both ways. He didn't advertise himself for the role, nor did he jump at the chance when it was offered to him. The producers had to work hard to get him to play the role in the first place, so clearly they wanted him for it for a reason. Before he signed, I'm sure it was clear to all parties what kind of a Bond he was to play. And yes, he is interested in flawed characters and darker sides, and characters not just staying the same through films, and Barbara is into exploring Bond's character, so it all fits, but interests were surely common and agreed upon from the beginning.
    I guess you mean pretty much the same thing, but I'm just saying that it was the producers who wanted to take Bond in that direction first, or they'd have gone for a different actor. :)

Brady, the producers left lots of control to DC and Mendes for Skyfall and they want him to come back. Of course DC will make sure that John Logan rewrites a new script if he has to avoid a two-parter. Please don't mention GF on these boards, we all know it's not quite as it's hyped to be and it's and exhaustingly homaged film for each of the last 4 movies one way or another. But that's another discussion topic...

Eh? There was never going to be a two-parter (I'm assuming someone would have mentioned it to Mr Craig), so I think it unlikely there would be a script for a two-parter which would thereby require re-writing. :)

If you mean some sort of a story arc, I suppose that's possible.

I have no idea what GF has got to do with any of this, though...
  • I mentioned GF bc I must have confused it with another user posting, pardon. The direction toward Brady...someome mentioned that the 4th movie like TB was even better than GF. Anyway, a story arc would be alright though, if np back to back sequel can be made. Barbs seems to have control although ahe made goofs when allowing for more action dominated scenes in the followups to GE and CR. But I do believe that Craig's Bond will continue towards a more realist approach at least to some extent.
  • edited February 2013 Posts: 5,745

But...I didn't say a thing about GF... :-/

Don't mention anything about GF on these boards? The James Bond Discussion Boards?

YES SIR!
    MI6 hinted that Mendes has a full schedule, so either (a) he is directing Bond 24 and it will be released in 2015 or (b) there's another director and we have Bond in 2014.
    Assuming this are valid assumptions, what do your prefer?
    0013 wrote:
    MI6 hinted that Mendes has a full schedule, so either (a) he is directing Bond 24 and it will be released in 2015 or (b) there's another director and we have Bond in 2014.
    Assuming this are valid assumptions, what do your prefer?

Well, there is a third possiblity. MI6 has also reported that, if Mendes wanted, they would start production early 2014, and still release by the end of the year. I'd prefer this option.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    I'd like that too. You could begin filming in March if need be and still not be rushed.
  • I just want a Bond film in 2014. They should try and get as many films as possible from Craig before he gets too old and they should try and capitalise on Skyfall's success.

Plus, I'm sick of all these long gaps. I miss having a Bond film every 2 years and I'd like a return to that.

So I'd rather have a Bond film in 2014 even if it means Mendes doesn't return.
  • edited February 2013 Posts: 1,407
    With a November 2014 date looking unlikely at this point my hope is that we get a March 2015 as that is the new "big movie" month. Or maybe now is the time to bring Bond back in the summer. We are certainly more confidant now than with License To Kill. Remember Quantum of Solace had an original release date of May 2nd?
    So it did! I had forgotten about that, perhaps we will get a Spring 2015 release. Would still prefer a 2014 date though :)
    I just want a Bond film in 2014. They should try and get as many films as possible from Craig before he gets too old and they should try and capitalise on Skyfall's success.

Plus, I'm sick of all these long gaps. I miss having a Bond film every 2 years and I'd like a return to that.

So I'd rather have a Bond film in 2014 even if it means Mendes doesn't return.

This. However, it is looking likely that Mendes will return and if he can't prioritize a late 2013 shooting schedule then I'm in the boat of hoping shooting can start in the first quarter of 2014...just so long as the film gets released at the back end of the same year.

I'm willing to wait a few months for a Sam Mendes Bond 24 but NOT a whole year
  • bondbat007 wrote:
    I'm willing to wait a few months for a Sam Mendes Bond 24 but NOT a whole year

What if it meant a better movie? A year could be the difference between a SF and QOS

QoS was bad because of factors that had nothing to do with a fundamental 2 year gap. A lack of script and a poor style of directing and editing hurt the movie.