Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (30th June 2023)

Comments

• talos7talos7 New Orleans
    The early 60’s is a great era for the film; it offers so many possibilities and I love the aesthetic.
    Today's news brings reports of period motorcycles being filmed on the move in Scotland. Thankfully, this does not seem at all to indicate a return of Mutt, a rather dull character who certainly did not give rise to feelings in the audience of witnessing the heir to playing the hero in subsequent adventures. Shia did not inspire, regardless of whatever S. Spielberg might have had in mind for IJATKOTCS or any subsequent productions. [Tip for the producers -- Chris Pratt is serviceable, but not inspiring, either, were he still under consideration for future productions] There was a motorcycle -- complete with Sean Connery as Dr. Henry Jones in the sidecar -- in IJATLC, after all. Still, the most recent film made much more use of the Bike, and it was a signature part of the film's presentation of Mutt, but, nay, no Mutt, apparently, riding around Scotland on a motorcycle.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I saw the photos and they're not period motorcycles: they're brand new ones. I tend to think it might have been for some other movie or TV show. Lots being filmed at the moment.

I think I might revise my guess on the year: I'm going for 1962 :)
  • edited June 2021 Posts: 669
    Did anyone see the Express article posted today where Spielberg states that the film is set in the 1960s? We can take it with a grain of salt, I suppose, but it's a bit more proof that we're looking at the 60s for the decade.

https://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/films/1450793/Indiana-Jones-5-setting-1960s-Steven-Spielberg-Harrison-Ford
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Did anyone see this article posted today where Spielberg states that the film is set in the 1960s? We can take it with a grain of salt, I suppose, but it's a bit more proof that we're looking at the 60s for the decade.

They are quoting him from 2018 though: it's a completely new script which Mangold has written for the movie now.
    I think the 60s is likely however, early 60s judging from those cars on set.
    mtm wrote: »
    Did anyone see this article posted today where Spielberg states that the film is set in the 1960s? We can take it with a grain of salt, I suppose, but it's a bit more proof that we're looking at the 60s for the decade.

They are quoting him from 2018 though: it's a completely new script which Mangold has written for the movie now.
    I think the 60s is likely however, early 60s judging from those cars on set.

Oh, good Lord. You'd think I would read the whole article before I posted this nonsense. I usually try not to be that person! Haha.
    I would think the nazi thing is a flash back or a precursor to the main film. It makes little sense to me using de aging throughout the film as Harrison’s performance physically will be that of a man in his 70s. Quite what the story is who know but possibly something about the nazis pursuing another religious artefact in the war and then this is the subsequent search for it in the 60s

Also @Zekidk no need to conflate “cancel culture” with changing sensibilities around modern day casting. They’re two completely different things.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    There's another reason Mutt's not returning.............

Shia has secretly been in talks with Barbara to take over from Craig. So he doesn't have time to play Mutt when he'll be shooting the new Bond movie next year .
    You're full of Shia. ;)

Yes he did a decent job. It could have been an extremely irritating character but it wasn’t.
    I agree, that was a risk and it was averted successfully. It was a good performance.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Since62 wrote: »
    Today's news brings reports of period motorcycles being filmed on the move in Scotland. Thankfully, this does not seem at all to indicate a return of Mutt, a rather dull character who certainly did not give rise to feelings in the audience of witnessing the heir to playing the hero in subsequent adventures. Shia did not inspire, regardless of whatever S. Spielberg might have had in mind for IJATKOTCS or any subsequent productions. [Tip for the producers -- Chris Pratt is serviceable, but not inspiring, either, were he still under consideration for future productions] There was a motorcycle -- complete with Sean Connery as Dr. Henry Jones in the sidecar -- in IJATLC, after all. Still, the most recent film made much more use of the Bike, and it was a signature part of the film's presentation of Mutt, but, nay, no Mutt, apparently, riding around Scotland on a motorcycle.

This is a lot of crap. There’s never been any indication Mutt was ever going to be the heir to the adventure. In fact, the very ending of CRYSTAL SKULL disputes that when Indy grabs his hat back as if to say “nope, I’m the star”.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I saw the photos and they're not period motorcycles: they're brand new ones. I tend to think it might have been for some other movie or TV show. Lots being filmed at the moment.

I called ‘62 back on April 16th.
    It was a massive year as far as events of the world go.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    A photo of a couple more cars from the Clapton filming popped up: one from 1948 and another from the early 50s. They certainly seem to be going for a postwar look to this scene rather than a swinging 60s one.
    A photo of a couple more cars from the Clapton filming popped up: one from 1948 and another from the early 50s. They certainly seem to be going for a postwar look to this scene rather than a swinging 60s one.

Well, UK took sometime to recover from the war and the average Joe either had no car at all or an older car, unlike the US in early-mid 60's, so perhaps that's the answer.

am4uqyrhub25.jpg

This is a photo of 1962 London.
    Quite probable and possible that the cars of the time aren't all Minis and E-type Jags.
    I've faith in a big film production getting things like this correct. I try not to over analyse these things myself. Not till I have more info, or have seen the film.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited June 2021 Posts: 14,957
    Even in that photo the car in the distance is a 60s model where they're drifting towards more Italian than American-inspired styling. The one obscured by the Ford Pop in the foreground looks a more modern shape too.
    Minis were on sale from '59 so they would hardly be out of place.
    ColonelSun wrote: »

Well, UK took sometime to recover from the war and the average Joe either had no car at all or an older car, unlike the US in early-mid 60's, so perhaps that's the answer.

Yes indeed: I'm not saying it's definitely set in the 50s or early 60s, just that they're going for a postwar look rather than a swinging 60s look. They can still be going for that look and setting it in '65 or something- it's just an aesthetic choice.
    These cars certainly create a feel which chimes more with the original '30s set Indy films moreso than a load of cars from 1963 or so would.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans

Well the 60’s didn’t start swinging until the second half of the decade; pre-65 looks likely.
    The swinging sixties didn't begin till 1963 at the earliest. Mid to late 60's is when it really hit it's stride.
    I don't get why some get so hit up about something, that we don't know all the details of yet.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    talos7 wrote: »

Well the 60’s didn’t start swinging until the second half of the decade; pre-65 looks likely.

Yep, I tend to agree. Maybe it's exactly 20 years after the events the film shows in the 40s or something.
    Benny wrote: »
    The swinging sixties didn't begin till 1963 at the earliest. Mid to late 60's is when it really hit it's stride.
    I don't get why some get so hit up about something, that we don't know all the details of yet.

Well you're posting about it too - and even finding photos to post! :D
    It's just fun to speculate, that's what messageboards are for.

Even in that photo the car in the distance is a 60s model where they're drifting towards more Italian than American-inspired styling. The one obscured by the Ford Pop in the foreground looks a more modern shape too.

Yes indeed: I'm not saying it's definitely set in the 50s or early 60s, just that they're going for a postwar look rather than a swinging 60s look. They can still be going for that look and setting it in '65 or something- it's just an aesthetic choice.
    These cars certainly create a feel which chimes more with the original '30s set Indy films moreso than a load of cars from 1963 or so would.

The older cars etc. in postwar UK will contrast well with a more glamorous early '60's New York - US. I'm thinking of the first couple of seasons of Mad Men. Suits, cars, cocktail bars, crooners.

• mtmmtm United Kingdom

The older cars etc. in postwar UK will contrast well with a more glamorous early '60's New York - US. I'm thinking of the first couple of seasons of Mad Men. Suits, cars, cocktail bars, crooners.

Yeah that would be nice: fingers crossed for a bit of that. I liked the hint of that NYC high society we got in Donovan's apartment in Crusade.
    It would be fun to see a bit of playboy Indy again, as we saw in the opening of Temple of Doom.

Yeah that would be nice: fingers crossed for a bit of that. I liked the hint of that NYC high society we got in Donovan's apartment in Crusade.
    It would be fun to see a bit of playboy Indy again, as we saw in the opening of Temple of Doom.

Yes, 100% agree. Indy ordering a dry martini in a cool NY cocktail bar.

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Someone on Twitter has said they saw Harrison Ford in a pub with Anthony Hopkins. I feel like that's one to take with a pinch of salt(!) but it's not impossible I guess.

Yes, 100% agree. Indy ordering a dry martini in a cool NY cocktail bar.

Yeah I think part of the original idea of the character from Spielberg & Lucas was that he'd be three guys in one: the adventurer, the professor and the playboy. But I guess because they kept going back to the Raiders template we didn't see much of the third one.

Apologies. The article I read said they were period motorcycles, and that a third bike -- they suggested it was a Harley -- of a more recent production, was present and that the rider appeared to be giving direction. I didn't inspect the photo provided, because the camera vehicle blocked the view of the motorcycles. But, thanks.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Apologies. The article I read said they were period motorcycles, and that a third bike -- they suggested it was a Harley -- of a more recent production, was present and that the rider appeared to be giving direction. I didn't inspect the photo provided, because the camera vehicle blocked the view of the motorcycles. But, thanks.

No need to apologise! :) It's fair enough to take them at their word. Maybe it is for Indy if they're doing some scene set in the present day, although I must admit I hope they don't!

This is a lot of crap. There’s never been any indication Mutt was ever going to be the heir to the adventure. In fact, the very ending of CRYSTAL SKULL disputes that when Indy grabs his hat back as if to say “nope, I’m the star”.

Yes, I recall the ending quite well, with Mutt spotting the hat on the floor in the church wherein Marion and Indy just got married. Did the moment of Indy retrieving his hat provide clarity, or raise ambiguity ? As artists and producers often say, such questions are for the audience. Things like that can be included just as part of the entertainment.
    In reference to Mutt's presence in the story, I wrote "WHATEVER S. Spielberg MIGHT have had in mind" 9emphasis added this time). I recall contemporaneous articles wherein commenters mused about what was then reasonably estimated might be Harrison Ford's last go-round as Indy, and whether the presence of Shia L -- at the time still on an ascent, roles-wise -- was for anything more than an appearance as that character in that film, the son of Marion and Indy.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    They were already kicking off ideas for a fifth Indy adventure when CRYSTAL SKULL was coming out. There was never any point when that film was proposed to be the last Indy adventure for Ford.

You’re just making crap up because of some weird dislike over Mutt and the actor.
    Here's a fun fact: Indy V uses the same location scout, Ross Donnelly, as MI:7 and NTTD, where he's credited as playing a passerby.

• I've just heard a rumour that Tobey Jones could be playing Abner Ravenwood. Interesting. But he went missing presumed dead at time of Raiders so for this to happen Indy 5 scenes with him and Ford together would obviously have to predate Raiders.
    They were already kicking off ideas for a fifth Indy adventure when CRYSTAL SKULL was coming out. There was never any point when that film was proposed to be the last Indy adventure for Ford.

You’re just making crap up because of some weird dislike over Mutt and the actor.

I am not making anything up. My lack of appreciation of IJATKOTCS is widely shared, not the least of which for the appearance of Mutt in the story. It paled in comparison with River Phoenix portraying Indy as a kid in IJATLC.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I've just heard a rumour that Tobey Jones could be playing Abner Ravenwood. Interesting. But he went missing presumed dead at time of Raiders so for this to happen Indy 5 scenes with him and Ford together would obviously have to predate Raiders.

People are always speculating that everyone will be Abner: Anthony Hopkins’ name came up today so inevitably he’s suggested for Abner too :D
    I think T Jones is just a new character, I like new characters. The initial trilogy only had two returning support characters in the whole thing.
  • RyanRyan Canada
    What we truly need is the return of Short Round.