Rest In Peace, show your respects to those who have passed away.

Comments

The legendary Lord Richard Attenborough has died at the age of 90.

RIP Big X.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-28923074
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited August 2014 Posts: 13,350
    It's tough to sum this one up into words...
  • edited August 2014 Posts: 11,189
    Although I'll always remember him best as Dr John Hammond in Jurassic Park his legacy in film goes FAR beyond that one role.

I must mention his chilling portrayal of real-life serial killer John Reginald Christie in Ten Rillington Place. Excellent film.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    A long life, and what a huge contribution he gave the world.
    RIP, dear Lord Richard Attenborough.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    I loved Attenborough in Jurassic Park.

RIP :(
    For me Richard Attenborough will always be Sir William Cecil in Elizabeth.
    I loved Attenborough in Jurassic Park.

RIP :(

Same here. Jurassic Park and The Miracle on 34th Street will be the films that I remember him for, as both were parts of my childhood. R.I.P. Mr. Attenborough.

This really has been a terrible year in terms of the entertainers that we've lost thus far. Hopefully we don't have any more reason to post in this thread for a while after remembering Mr. Attenborough.

• Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I'll tell ya, Attenborough hit me harder than Robin Williams did. The Jurassic Park films and Miracle on 34th Street are all I've seen him in, but I loved him in both roles. Always thought he'd make a good M someday.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Sad to learn of the passing of Lord Attenborough.
    Fantastic actor and amazing director. One of the greats.
    R.I.P Big X
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    More tears...
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    May he rest in peace.

"Welcome, to Jurassic Park."

This is what I shall always remember him for.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    So sad to hear about the passing of Richard Attenborough, he was amazing :( He did live a long a full life, though, let's think about how great he was and how we were lucky to have him for so long.
  • edited August 2014 Posts: 11,189
    Everyone on Facebook seems to be remembering Jurassic Park right now but it seems appropriate to hum this belter of a theme too:

Richard Attenborough directed some excellent films. "A Bridge Too Far" is fantastic, truly epic.

And if you watch the '40's classic "A Matter of Life and Death" you will see young Dickie in (I believe) his first ever screen role as a young airman who has just arrived in Heaven.
    Lord Attenborough may his acting and directing be remembered and his actions and visons on society be continued.

RIP
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    Although I'll always remember him best as Dr John Hammond in Jurassic Park his legacy in film goes FAR beyond that one role.

I must mention his chilling portrayal of real-life serial killer John Reginald Christie in Ten Rillington Place. Excellent film.

Sad to hear of Lord Attenborough's passing but at least he lived to a ripe old age. And I agree that he was brilliant in 10 Rillington Place.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Nobody mention Brighton Rock, where Dickie played a nasty piece of work?

vickers_brighton-rock.jpg

Of course, there was so many films to name. Miracle On 34th Street stands out, as I saw that one in the cinema.

RIP
    He reminds me a bit of Daniel Craig in BR.
  • edited August 2014 Posts: 479
    Rest In Peace Lord Attenborough, a long life which I'm sure was full of great memories and experiences and lived to the full. So sad that many great stars of the silver screen have passed this year.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    RIP to the great Richard Attenborough. What an extraordinary life.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Everyone on Facebook seems to be remembering Jurassic Park right now but it seems appropriate to hum this belter of a theme too:

Was Attenborough the last actor left of the 'Great Escape' group?

• BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator

David McCallum and John Leyton are still with us. But sadly many of the others have passed on.
    Well, with the ice bucket challenge, I was reminded that my grandfather died of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, or Lou Gehrig's disease as he used to call it. It was decades ago, but I thought I would mention it here.
    Benny wrote: »

David McCallum and John Leyton are still with us. But sadly many of the others have passed on.

Sad :( Thanks @benny

• DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Tom Pevsner... So sorry to read this. I like his comments on the Inside documentaries of the 80s Bond films.

I believe his name can be spot on one of Boris' computers in GE.

R.I.P.

Yes, in Trevelyan's HQ, one of the banks is called Pevsner Bank, and his face can be spotted on the monitor. RIP.

• DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    Sammm04 wrote: »
    Rest In Peace Lord Attenborough, a long life which I'm sure was full of great memories and experiences and lived to the full. So sad that many great stars of the silver screen have passed this year.

Sad, but then all of us have to leave this life.
    Sammm04 wrote: »

Sad, but then all of us have to leave this life.

At least we can celebrate their great achievements and contributions with an even more grateful attitude now that they are gone. Lord Attenborough, like his brother, was always a National Treasure to me. He was an example of all that a British man should be: clever, kind, creative, talented, devoted and most importantly, a true gentleman. His works will stand the test of time and (hopefully) he will never be forgotten and his films will be appreciated for generations to come.
  • edited August 2014 Posts: 6,396
    Been reading an article on the famous faces we've lost so far in 2014.

To name just some of them:

Peter O'Toole
    Roger Lloyd-Pack
    Bob Hoskins
    HR Geiger
    Phillip Seymour Hoffman
    Shirley Temple
    Harold Ramis
    James Garner
    Robin Williams
    Lauren Bacall
    Richard Attenborough

That's quite a list there and it's not even September. :-(
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    One of the soundstages at Pinewood is going to be named after Richerd Attenborough: http://www.pinewoodgroup.com/our-studios/uk/news/lord-richard-attenborough-forever-gracing-pinewood
    Our regional paper had a piece on Attenborough albeit with the wrong Attenborough picture, which they did correct today.