Rest In Peace, show your respects to those who have passed away.

Comments

• KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    My theory on these keyboard commandos and trolls in general is that they wouldn't have the balls to say comments like this to anyone's face. Sad that she had to go through this during a devastating time. Hopefully she'll go back to social media one day, but wouldn't blame her if she didn't.
    Very sad about Robin's passing. I loved all his movies and his acting ability as well as his comedy. I hate to think of someone so talented suffering depression so much at the end. RIP
  • I share the hope that Robin's tragic passing inspires us to become more sensitive to mental health issues. Addtionally, I'm just torn up by the footage showing the mourning of Robin's simian friend, Ko Ko the gorilla. How much evidence do we need before we realize that consciousness is a condition we barely understand? If even a simian can recognize and appreciate the genius of Robin Williams, and mourn his passing in a sensitive and appropriate fashion while cretins like Rush Limbaugh or these "antisocial" media ghouls continue to befoul the Earth with their very presence, then the definition of "humanity" is in serious need of reconsideration.
  • ...and of course, my condolences to the friends and family of Lauren Bacall. Another icon has passed, and the torch dims perceptibly... She has gone to join Bogie, the love of her life. We'll have to take comfort in that knowledge.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited August 2014 Posts: 23,626
    I watched The big Sleep again.

tumblr_mvpg45xqvm1qaeet6o1_500.png

Two icons, forever monumentalized in the stones of time; glamorous diamonds flickering eternally in Hollywood's night sky.
    The Oscars In Memoriam will be quite full next year: Mickey Rooney, HR Giger, Bob Hoskins, James Garner, Lauren Bacall, Robin Williams, Eli Wallach, Casey Kasem. There will probably (unfortunately and hopefully not) be a few more great legends of the screen to come. Should be quite moving next March, I always enjoy that section to reflect.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    They won't include Casey Kasem.

I did think that as soon as I read my post again, probably not, but still a great actor lost this year.

• DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    Was also shocked when I read it. Oh captain my captain. RIP.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Sammm04 wrote: »
    Birdleson wrote: »
    They won't include Casey Kasem.

I did think that as soon as I read my post again, probably not, but still a great actor lost this year.
    I imagine they will. He had done voice work in his career, namely for many Scooby Doo shows and films, so I imagine he could be included amongst the other names listed.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Kerim wrote: »
    My theory on these keyboard commandos and trolls in general is that they wouldn't have the balls to say comments like this to anyone's face. Sad that she had to go through this during a devastating time. Hopefully she'll go back to social media one day, but wouldn't blame her if she didn't.

Exactly my thoughts, @Kerim. People are a lot braver behind a keyboard and monitor than they are if you met them down a dark alley. Tells you all you need to know about these cowardly trolls really.
    Apparently, Robin Williams was in the early stages of Parkinson's disease according to his wife.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-28796277
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Apparently, Robin Williams was in the early stages of Parkinson's disease according to his wife.

This makes unfortunate sense now.
    :(
    I am actually sadder for the loss of Lauren Bacall, I have to confess, even though she was 89, so it was hardly a surprised. And she had a full life. Strangely enough, I had watched The Big Sleep the weekend before.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    I watched The big Sleep again.

tumblr_mvpg45xqvm1qaeet6o1_500.png

Two icons, forever monumentalized in the stones of time; glamorous diamonds flickering eternally in Hollywood's night sky.

I watched it last weekend. Lauren Bacall, a beauty like we don't see often anymore.
  • edited August 2014 Posts: 14,859

Robin Williams' true role was Pagliacci, the sad, tragic clown who was the only one not laughing.

I thought of that thing in Watchmen:
    Man goes to doctor. Says he's depressed. Says life seems harsh and cruel. Says he feels all alone in threatening world where what lies ahead is vague and uncertain. Doctor says, "Treatment is simple. Great clown Pagliacci is in town tonight. Go and see him. That should pick you up." Man bursts into tears. Says "But Doctor... I am Pagliacci." Good joke. Everybody laugh. Roll on snare drum. Curtains.
  • Such a shame about Robin Williams, I couldn't believe it when I found out. He'll be remembered as a comedy legend for years to come. RIP.
  • edited August 2014 Posts: 2,081
    Dragonpol wrote: »

Exactly my thoughts, @Kerim. People are a lot braver behind a keyboard and monitor than they are if you met them down a dark alley. Tells you all you need to know about these cowardly trolls really.

Personally I don't think it's lack of bravery, but rather lack of brains. I don't think one needs to be brave to act or not to act like a heartless bastard.

• KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    Well yes, that to.
    I have to confess, I didn't find many if Robin Williams comedies funny. I thought he was far better as a wounded, even broken man. And he played amazing badguys in Insomnia and One Hour Photo.
    Tuulia wrote: »
    Dragonpol wrote: »

Personally I don't think it's lack of bravery, but rather lack of brains. I don't think one needs to be brave to act or not to act like a heartless bastard.

Well yes, lack of grace and lack of wit and empathy are factors too. Gaining fame though notoriety is a likely motive for these sad little individuals that we call trolls.
    Brosnan's comments on Robin's death:

BAIN123 wrote: »
    Brosnan's comments on Robin's death:

Credit to Pierce for that tribute!
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Here is a nice article in the Japan Times about Robin:

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2014/08/13/world/robin-williams-fondly-remembered-by-japans-film-industry/#.U_O9ncV_uyg

And here is a bit in that article that made me smile:
    One legendary Robin Williams episode goes like this: On one of his promotion tours, he was driven around Tokyo for a week by the same chauffeur. At the end of his stay, he presented the man with a pair of Louis Vuitton leather driving gloves because he loved the fact that “all the drivers in Tokyo wear white gloves. I can’t imagine anyone in the U.S. doing such a thing. You people live in an amazing country!”
    The chauffeur was so moved by Williams’ gesture that he wept.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    As it has been mentioned on the main site, not one but two of the Bond family have sadly passed away.
    Iris Rose who was a production assistant and unit manager from 1981 until 2008's Quantum Of Solace and executive producer Tom Pevsner who worked on six Bond movies in all has also sadly passed away. Their contributions to the Bond series are something I'm sure we can all be thankful for.
    May they rest in peace.
    Benny wrote: »
    As it has been mentioned on the main site, not one but two of the Bond family have sadly passed away.
    Iris Rose who was a production assistant and unit manager from 1981 until 2008's Quantum Of Solace and executive producer Tom Pevsner who worked on six Bond movies in all has also sadly passed away. Their contributions to the Bond series are something I'm sure we can all be thankful for.
    May they rest in peace.

Sad news indeed.
    I had the pleasure of working with Tom Pevsner. He was a delightful, warm, deeply intelligent man. And Iris Rose, who worked so closely with Tom on the Bonds, was a wonderful lady. I will miss them both.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    I'm very saddened to learn of the passing of Tom Pevsner and Iris Rose, on the same day as well. RIP.

Do you have many found memories of them @ColonelSun?
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    Too many good people have been dying, it's just too sad. Robin Williams, especially, was one of my favourite actors so it was quite shocking to hear the news. He was in some of my favourite films.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Tom Pevsner... So sorry to read this. I like his comments on the Inside documentaries of the 80s Bond films.

I believe his name can be spot on one of Boris' computers in GE.

R.I.P.
    Sad to read and learn that two of the greater Bond family have sadly passed away. Condolences and best wishes to the family and friends of Iris Rose and Tom Pevsner. RIP.