Rest In Peace, show your respects to those who have passed away.

Comments

• BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    RIP John Gavin, the Bond who almost was. Never really had much of a film career, though I would love to know more about his close encounter with Bond. Seems little is known about the whole thing.

Sad also to learn of the passing of Liam Miller at just 36. Far too young. RIP.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    In Gavin’s honour, and his involvement in the Bond franchise - as brief as it was - I’m going to watch OSS 117: Double Agent, again. In case anybody is wondering what Bond would’ve been with Gavin, watch that film. It also includes two Bond alumnus: Luciana Palluzzi and Curt Jurgens.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited February 2018 Posts: 15,690
    Actor Reg E. Cathey has passed away at age 59. He appeared in House of Cards, The Wire, Oz, American Psycho, Se7en, Clear and Present Danger, amongst many other films/TV series.

Reg-Cathey-Freddy-House-Cards_11860582.jpg
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    I know him from Fantastic Four. RIP.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    RIP John Gavin, remember him as a young Caesar in Spartacus and from Psycho.

Also RIP Liam Miller, remember him scoring a stunner against my team Anderlecht when he was at Celtic.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    RIP John Gavin and Liam Miller
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    RIP John Gavin, a sadly underused actor.
    RIP John Gavin. Thoughts and prayers to his family and friends.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    RIP to Reg Cathey and John Gavin, two legends gone.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    You can see in some of those photos that Gavin resembled Connery...I wonder if that was what Cubby was going for. It would have been interesting to have a Latino Bond!
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Sad to hear of the death of John Gavin, the Bond who nearly was.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Composer Jóhann Jóhannsson, who did the soundtrack for Sicario, Arrival has passed away age 48.

http://deadline.com/2018/02/johann-johannsson-dies-obituary-the-theory-of-everything-composer-1202284591/
    Composer Jóhann Jóhannsson, who did the soundtrack for Sicario, Arrival has passed away age 48.

http://deadline.com/2018/02/johann-johannsson-dies-obituary-the-theory-of-everything-composer-1202284591/

Wow, that's shocking. We were just talking about him the other day and his score for that. What a loss, was a big fan of his work.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Johannson was a talented film composer. Sounds like a sudden and unexpected death.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Wow, truly shocked about this. He was indeed a very talented composer.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I can't believe it!!
    I thought he'd have a whole career ahead of him... :(

I'm shocked.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    I can't believe it!!
    I thought he'd have a whole career ahead of him... :(

I'm shocked.

Me too. His music was haunting and lovely at the same time.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Very sad to read about Jóhannsson passing away so suddenly. I was hoping to hear a lot more from him.
    R.I.P.
  • RC7RC7
    boldfinger wrote: »
    Very sad to read about Jóhannsson passing away so suddenly. I was hoping to hear a lot more from him.
    R.I.P.

Ditto. Very talented bloke.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
  • edited February 2018 Posts: 1,661
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    Sad to hear of the death of John Gavin, the Bond who nearly was.

Arguably the greatest 'trivial pursuit' Bond question of them all. I doubt most non or very casual Bond fans are aware he was cast as James Bond. The franchise would have travelled a different route had he actually played the part.

John Gavin was also famous for playing the hero (of a sort) in Psycho. His character stopped Norman Bates!

MI6's new coverage of his Bond casting is very informative and worth checking out.
    Last december marked 25 yrs the passing of Michael Gothard
    Tracy wrote: »
    Last december marked 25 yrs the passing of Michael Gothard

Not only did I have no clue that he had passed away, but only in his early 50's from suicide? Sad to hear.
  • TokolosheTokoloshe Under your bed
    Yes sadly both Michael Gothard and Jill Bennett (Yacoba Brink) took their own lives not many years after appearing in FYEO.
    Tokoloshe wrote: »
    Yes sadly both Michael Gothard and Jill Bennett (Yacoba Brink) took their own lives not many years after appearing in FYEO.

Well damn, I didn't know that, either! My next viewing of that film will have an air of sadness around it, then.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I didn't know that about Gothard either! I obviously don't find myself investing a lot of reading into the making of the Moore films, but I'm shocked that has never crossed into my research in other areas before.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    Here is a little something on Gothard: https://michael-gothard.livejournal.com/42285.html

IMDb also has a decent biography on the man: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0331788/bio?ref_=nm_ov_bio_sm

Seemed like an intense and passionate person, and artist.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    Let me add what I hope most everyone agrees on: Michael Gothard was terrific in FYEO. The guy doesn't say a single word throughout the entire film, and yet he feels so alive and present in every scene in which he appears, not to mention menacing. There's an interesting contrast in that Locque's criminal record paints a rather indimidating picture of the man, yet he looks relatively normal; in fact, he looks like a regular businessman. But that's on the surface, of course. Beyond his rather normal look, in every scene, Locque comes across as threatening and cunning. It was Michael Gothard's idea to have Locque wear the octagonal glasses-- a great little touch that makes the character more distinctive and threatening without betraying the more realistic, down-to-earth tone of the film.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Tokoloshe wrote: »

That knowledge will mark the next viewing of FYEO a much darker experience.