Rest In Peace, show your respects to those who have passed away.

Comments

• royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    RIP Clifton James. A very funny actor.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    In honour of Clifton James I have changed my avatar. It's my way to say goodbye.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Damn, what a loss. I've rarely flip-flopped on a character as heavily as Sheriff Pepper, who is one of my favorite allies of Bond's now. RIP, Mr. James, thanks for all you've done.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    RIP Clifton James.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    In honour of Clifton James I have changed my avatar. It's my way to say goodbye.

Me too.
  • I'm so saddend by the death of Clifton James. One of the funniest characters to have ever appeared in a Bond film. Rest in Peace.
    Damn this bums me out. Another Bond legend gone. Though maybe his character was an acquired taste among fans I always loved him. He was great.
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    Spit ,so JW is on the other side boy rest in peace Sir Thankyou for your part in our ongoing story you will be missed .
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    RIP @Birdleson.

I also just learned that Richard Nixon has died.
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    RIP Clifton James
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    RIP Clifton James, loved his character.

"And that means you, smartass!"
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I've always loved JW, in both LALD and in TMWTGG. I've never thought of him as annoying at all - just highly charismatic and amusing comic relief.

RIP sir, and thank you for one of my earliest and most fond movie memories.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.

Thank you, Clifton.
    2yqIA.jpg

R.I.P. Very memorable in the roles he had.
    'Did that sumbitch just give me an order??'

RIP Sheriff- of the Louisiana State POlice
  • 'Did that sumbitch just give me an order??'

RIP Sheriff- of the Louisiana State POlice

I think that was a mistake, probably stemming from the various rewriting of the Golden Gun script. In Live And Let Die, it's clear J.W. Pepper isn't part of the Louisiana State Police (he commandeers a State Police car with the two "trooper boys."). Yet in Golden Gun he says he's "Sheriff J.W. Pepper of the Louisiana State Police."
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited April 2017 Posts: 4,444
    Suprised me a litle bit that there writing about his death. Some chacters/actors are to unknown for them to remember.

http://www.nu.nl/film/4623690/acteur-sheriff-pepper-in-twee-bondfilms-speelde-overleden.html

• echoecho 007 in New York
    They should have brought him back for AVTAK!
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Sad to learn that the legendary Clifton James has left us. Loved him in LALD, his inclusion in TMWTGG is not required, but how could you dislike such a colorful character.
    One of the most quote worthy characters in all the Bond series.

"By the powers invested, in me by this parish. I hereby do commandeer this vehicle. And all those persons within it. And that means you smartass!"

"There's that son-a-bitch I got him!"

"Press that pedal boy."

"SECRET AGENT! On who's side?"

Nobody played a sheriff better than dear Clifton James. RIP

tve8637-00000008-983.gif

The world of James Bond, is better for having you in it....boy.
    Our Sheriff has been called for his last and most important mission. Now he'll chase those pesky Scaramanga and Nick Nack around the roads of pop culture heaven.

RIP Clifton James. Great character actor beyond his two Bond appearances. BTW, my headcanon is that the sheriff on Superman II is indeed Pepper who has been appointed to another location.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited April 2017 Posts: 13,894
    I never really got "Sherrif J Dubya Pepper of the Louisiana state po-lice" but it's sad all the same when a member of the Bond family passes away. RIP

"Brace that peddle, boi."
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    RIP Clifton James.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited April 2017 Posts: 4,043
    R.I.P Clifton James

As much as I'm not a fan of both the films he appeared in, it always raises a smile when he pops up.

Also not forgetting his uncredited turn in The Untouchables as the District Attorney, James Bond & JW in the same film not a Bond film, although they don't meet on screen.
  • edited April 2017 Posts: 5,809
    "You're not thinking....?"
    "I sure am, boy !"

Classic !

Funny thing, despite having played the southerner in so many movies (like The Chase), Clifton James was born in the state of Washington, in Spokane, to be precise.
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    A sad day. It is not surprising and can't be too upset, as the day eventually comes and this legend lived a long and wonderful 96 years. However, it still hurts. Whenever hearing about Clifton from others, it sounded like he was one of the nicest people you could meet; and for us Bond fans personally, he was a staple of the 70s era Bond who brought levity and could always make you smile when he appeared.

In his later years, I wrote him a couple of times thanking him for the many happy memories and wishing him well. He was gracious enough to send me a personalized autograph, which was my first autograph of my Bond collection, something I will always greatly cherish. Rest in Peace Clifton James, and thank you once more for everything.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    I got stuck behind a tractor on the way back from work. So,

“Get that god damn chicken coop off the road, boy!"
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Meanwhile, moderate rebels in Syria lured kids towards them by shouting they had candy yesterday, then blew up themselves and a hundred others, 68 of them kids.

I am sickened.
    RIP Clifton James
    RIP Clifton James.

I was blessed to have met the man a few years back down in London. A wonderful gentle man who I happened to share a simple conversation with. Will treasure the photo you kindly posed in with me.
    Any chance we could see that photo @RogueAgent?