Rest In Peace Tony Scott

2»

Comments

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited August 2012 Posts: 13,350
    You're telling me! Deadline says that's two slip ups by ABC news in the past month, now. Really, not good.
    The least said about Top Gun the better but Scott was involved in some good action pictures such as Crimson Tide, True Romance and Enemy of the State. Shock news about his death, don't see quite why he had to do what he did. Some rumors abound of being ill, but his family seem to have denied anything along those lines, it appears he was in good enough health. All that can be said, is sorry to see a fine film director go, and my sympathies to his immediate family and loved ones
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited August 2012 Posts: 13,879
    I must admit I'm not a huge film buff, and didn't realize he directed/produced so much great material we've come to know as classics. My condolences go to Ridley and family. Rest in peace Mr. Scott.
    Maybe he was suffering from depression...
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Multiple suicide notes? So, were these past notes, meaning past failures to commit suicide?
  • edited August 2012 Posts: 774
    Ridley Scott has stopped work on his film The Counselor, currently filming in London, to fly to LA after this tragedy.
  • DiscoVolanteDiscoVolante Stockholm, Sweden
    tony-scott-family-1.jpg
    Didn't know his sons were that young. :( What a tragedy for the Scott family.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Very tragic. The bridge he jumped from was going to be used in a remake of 'The Warriors' he had planned, with thousands of real-life gang members converging on it and duking it out.
  • edited August 2012 Posts: 12,837
    Sh*t. One of my favourite directors (love Man On Fire), along with his brother.

RIP.
    Multiple suicide notes? So, were these past notes, meaning past failures to commit suicide?

I'm thinking they mean notes to multiple people.

The least said about Top Gun the better but Scott was involved in some good action pictures such as Crimson Tide, True Romance and Enemy of the State. Shock news about his death, don't see quite why he had to do what he did. Some rumors abound of being ill, but his family seem to have denied anything along those lines, it appears he was in good enough health. All that can be said, is
    sorry to see a fine film director go, and my sympathies to his immediate family and loved ones

Not sure why you don't like Top Gun, an 80's classic, but each to their own
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    LeChiffre wrote:
    The least said about Top Gun the better but Scott was involved in some good action pictures such as Crimson Tide, True Romance and Enemy of the State. Shock news about his death, don't see quite why he had to do what he did. Some rumors abound of being ill, but his family seem to have denied anything along those lines, it appears he was in good enough health. All that can be said, is
    sorry to see a fine film director go, and my sympathies to his immediate family and loved ones

Not sure why you don't like Top Gun, an 80's classic, but each to their own
    @Baltimore_007 has an opinion of his own?! :O Burn him!

Not everything considered a "classic" is good, and that goes for movies and literature. I definitely wouldn't call Top Gun a classic, nonetheless an 80s classic.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I never considered Top Gun a classic, just a good film.
  • edited August 2012 Posts: 11,189
    Its funny I realised the other day that I've never actually seen Top Gun :-O

Easily Tony Scott's most famous film.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Its funny I realised the other day that I've never actually seen Top Gun :-O

Easily Tony Scott's most famous film.

Neither have I, don't worry. But, after his unfortunate passing, I'll be looking to most of his work to give my appreciation to the beautiful films he left behind. RIP, Tony.
    I have seen Unstoppable, The Taking of Pelham 123, Enemy of The State and Man on Fire though.
    Tony used Denzel like Bond uses women. Geez.
    Lets not forget Revenge based on the Jim Harrison Novella. If you missed it catch it. There was one scene in particular which is very Bondian. Costner's character put's his old friend's domo in his place. Crimson Tide superb and the last Star Trek film was influenced by it - there's only one slow motion shot in both films - when the captain has to leave the bridge! A personnal favourite is Spy Story dedicated to Tony's mum who passed during the production. That ending major cool, Stephen Dillane expression when he realises Redford ran rings around them - priceless. Yea we lost a major talent but he lived a life.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I've seen Revenge (admittedly for Stowe) and I found it to be one of the most morose films i'd seen. Not a film I would want to watch again any time soon.

I love Crimson Tide, it's one of my favourite Gene Hackman films.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Scott's best film in my opinion is Spy Game, followed by Crimson Tide. These are the two films where he utilised the capabilities of his leading actors to the full, instead of focusing on action scenes, even though the other films were great actioners in their own right.
  • I think his best films are Man On Fire and Dejavu.
    I think his best films are Man On Fire and Dejavu.

'Man On Fire' is my favorite of his. The ending brings me to tears every time.

Apparently, the last thing Scott was working on was 'Out of the Furnace;' I had no idea he had a hand in it. Looking forward to it.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    I think his best films are Man On Fire and Dejavu.

'Man On Fire' is my favorite of his. The ending brings me to tears every time.

Apparently, the last thing Scott was working on was 'Out of the Furnace;' I had no idea he had a hand in it. Looking forward to it.

I know he is credited with Ridley as a co-executive producer on some TV show. That may be the one I saw previews for.
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, he and Ridley worked on 'The Good Wife' together, along with the upcoming series 'Coma' on A&E.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, he and Ridley worked on 'The Good Wife' together, along with the upcoming series 'Coma' on A&E.
    Coma, that's what it was. Thanks.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
This discussion has been closed.