DC Comics Cinematic Universe (2013 - present)

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I'd love for Keaton to star as old man Batman in a live-action adaptation of The Dark Knight Returns.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    I'd love for Keaton to star as old man Batman in a live-action adaptation of The Dark Knight Returns.

Would prefer a Batman film similar to Kingdom Come
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    I'm happy to see Michael Keaton playing Batman again but I couldn't care less about multiverses and all that stuff. A solo film for him set in Tim Burton's Gotham is what I really want.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I know what you mean: not being a huge comics reader I do find it surprising how key to the whole thing parallel universes are. I don't quite get why having people with superpowers would mean there have to be lots of people travelling between different dimensions all the time, but there we go.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited June 2021 Posts: 23,327
    The Suicide Squad Trailer 3
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited June 2021 Posts: 5,869
    Looks so good. I’m most excited for this and The Batman. They just both look so good in many different ways, while both seeming incredibly comic-book accurate.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited July 2021 Posts: 23,327
    The Flash Teaser Potential Spoilers...

As someone who watched Batman at the cinema back in 1989, seeing Keaton don the Batsuit again on the big screen is going to be goose bumps moment.

I was just thinking will there be any other characters appearing from Batman or Batman Returns.

As someone who watched Batman at the cinema back in 1989, seeing Keaton don the Batsuit again on the big screen is going to be goose bumps moment.

I was just thinking will there be any other characters appearing from Batman or Batman Returns.
    over on a super hero forum many are ironically complaining about this saying the flash is a strong enough character to be his own film... now maybe this is true maybe not I do know Me and several others are going to the flash opening day to see Keaton and Affleck back
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Risico007 wrote: »

over on a super hero forum many are ironically complaining about this saying the flash is a strong enough character to be his own film... now maybe this is true maybe not I do know Me and several others are going to the flash opening day to see Keaton and Affleck back

While very true that the Flash could stand on his own, from WB's business standpoint, I can understand them wanting to throw as much at the wall as possible for greater profits. Most of it probably won't stick, but on the whole, I expect this will be a decent movie from the performances alone, even if the story is crap.

While very true that the Flash could stand on his own, from WB's business standpoint, I can understand them wanting to throw as much at the wall as possible for greater profits. Most of it probably won't stick, but on the whole, I expect this will be a decent movie from the performances alone, even if the story is crap.

the question becomes which would people want
    A Keaton Solo Batman Film
    or
    An Affleck Solo Batman film
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start

the question becomes which would people want
    A Keaton Solo Batman Film
    or
    An Affleck Solo Batman film

Sign me up for both.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    If I had to pick I'd go Keaton. A bit of nostalgia there, but also I think he's got a bit more character and weight as a performer onscreen.
    I would also prefer to watch third Batman movie with Keaton.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    mtm wrote: »
    If I had to pick I'd go Keaton. A bit of nostalgia there, but also I think he's got a bit more character and weight as a performer onscreen.

Absolutely…

• DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited July 2021 Posts: 5,869
    While Pattinson and Reeves' Batman is the one I'm more interested in exploring as its just more my cup of tea in terms of filmmaking and seems to represent what I love about those comics, I expect Keaton would be the route WB would go down, if they even want to do solo Batman movies outside of Pattinson. It may be better to just have Keaton's Batman play a more supporting role going forward in other DCEU movies.

I think Affleck should be allowed to leave the role after The Flash if that's what he wants to do, especially given everything that happened with him before - in terms of his health and well-being. I think that's more important than whether Snyder fans get "their" solo Affleck movie.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    edited July 2021 Posts: 8,034
    Loved Affleck but would love a Batman Beyond style film with Keaton as an older Bruce Wayne even more.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    Loved Affleck but would love a Batman Beyond style film with Keaton as an older Bruce Wayne even more.

Same here.
    GadgetMan wrote: »

Same here.

I can second that. I'm not the biggest Batman Beyond fan, but we just can't get enough Keaton. It's a tragedy how quickly his role as Batman was played out. Returning in THE FLASH is at least a Christmas present I can't wait to unwrap. ;-)
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    GadgetMan wrote: »

Same here.

I can second that. I'm not the biggest Batman Beyond fan, but we just can't get enough Keaton. It's a tragedy how quickly his role as Batman was played out. Returning in THE FLASH is at least a Christmas present I can't wait to unwrap. ;-)

Exactly!!! :)>-
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.denofgeek.com/movies/the-flash-batman-set-photos-ben-affleck/?amp

Awesome I remember during the early stages of The Flash it was suggested Batfleck would only appear as Bruce, obviously not the case.

I think it's cool that Keaton gets another shot at playing the character, even if he isn't going to be front and centre in this film. When you think about it, his run as Batman lasted only two films and about three years. That is barely a "career", and yet, he did leave a lasting impression (not unlike Dalton left an impression on the proud Daltonites among us). I take it most of us have vivid memories of those Keaton days (I was only 7 when Batman premiered in '89, yet I remember it all).

But the chain reaction of events that followed and that ultimately resulted in Keaton not coming back and this short-lived film series taking not one but three weird turns down the line, demonstrates how different the times were for "superhero" films back then. Had it not been for the animated series, I'd almost compare it to the Superman debacle from the '80s, even if I think Schumacher's films infinitely more enjoyable than Superman III and The Quest For Peace.

At the time I was also convinced that losing Burton was a big mistake on the part of WB or Jon Peters or whoever made that call. Now I'm not so sure that Burton ever truly was the right choice for the job. He made that '89 film work; no complaints there. But he went on imposing far too much of that signature Burton goofiness on the sequel. And the types making these movies back then weren't the least bit interested in staying 'true' to the comics either (not that we're seeing live-action DC films directly adapting comics these days, but there's at least a comics-consciousness that's shining through more.) Either way, Keaton was the victim of a lot of poor decision-making, culminating in a script for Batman Forever that just couldn't keep him interested. By his own admission,

“[The film] just wasn’t any good, man. I tried to be patient, but after a certain point, I was like, I can’t take this anymore, this is going to be horrible. But, look, there was some really horrible taste in the ’90s, and I probably contributed to that, unfortunately. It was a time of nouveau riche excess… And the truth is, I’m not boasting, but I was correct. There are a whole load of people who ran things that are long gone.” url="https://bamsmackpow.com/2020/11/28/michael-keaton-didnt-return-batman-forever/"]link[/url

I rather liked Kilmer's Batman but I wasn't a fan of Clooney's (and neither is Clooney). Bale impressed the hell out of me in the next decade. And meanwhile, McClory could always be trusted to deliver the goods. So Michael Keaton gradually became a thing of the past for me, a Batman that wouldn't Return a second time. I even made the mistake of thinking that Keaton surely would never do superhero stuff anymore. But then I saw him in Spider-Man: Homecoming, and he rocked in that film. I started dreaming about Keaton as a more mature Batman in a straight-up adaptation of The Dark Knight Returns. And when the news came of Keaton's comeback in The Flash, I pumped a fist and yelled "Yeah!"
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Funnily, Schumacher wanted to do Year One and have it be dark and gritty but the studio heads were so scared of the backlash over RETURNS that they wanted to avoid that, as well as try making the movies more “toyetic”.

Had Burton decided to move forward with a third film I think he would have faced the same kind of studio oversight that Snyder went through with JL. Having suits standing around on the sets as if to make sure Burton didn’t ruin the film’s Happy Meal potential. Even when Schumacher made the movie, he still ultimately had to cut out all the darker aspects of FOREVER like the original Arkham scene with Two Face’s message on a wall written in blood.

By the time he made B&R, it was clear what the studio wanted due to the success of FOREVER and he went along with it, this time adding purple.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    You just need to look at some of Schumacher's other films to get a sense of the kind of Batman film he likely would have wanted to make.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Seems like The Suicide Squad is getting fair-to-good reviews most places that I've seen, sounds good.
  • 98% positive on Rotten Tomatoes so far!
    https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_suicide_squad
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yes I quite fancy seeing it.
    Unfiltered James Gunn apparently, sounds like he had free reign. Will definitely watch it.