DC Comics Cinematic Universe (2013 - present)

Comments

• GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    GadgetMan wrote: »
    So far, so very Junkie XL. Eager to hear more of Zimmer's Superman theme, though. Middle Mass is just a fairly standard "reveal" type cue.

Yeah. I have been waiting to hear that too. But hopefully, it should be there in a gargantuan score that has 54 tracks.

For sure - a massive album. I can't imagine I'll be listening to it in its entirety in one sitting too often but I'm sure I'll make a nice playlist from the highlights.

Exactly! Me too. I'm so excited for this score.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    What are the highlights of the previous one? I've not really listened to it.
    edited March 2021 Posts: 4,247
    mtm wrote: »

Ok, that would be Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice. I consider these the highlights from the score:-

1.Beautiful Lie.
    2.Their War Here.
    3.Do You Bleed?
    4.Is She With You?
    5.Men Are Still Good(The Batman Suite).
    6.May I help you, Mr. Wayne?
    7.They Were Hunters.
    8.Vigilante.
    9.Fight Night.

Of course, I love the whole score. But these are ones I listen to more.

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    I have all the versions of MoS and BvS scores, listening to BvS now whilst training great score IMO. Will definately buy the JL score on March 18th.

I have all the versions of MoS and BvS scores, listening to BvS now whilst training great score IMO. Will definately buy the JL score on March 18th.

Yeah, I have them too. Man of Steel is a very tough and soulful score.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    I recognize that the entire approach Snyder takes to Superman is to try to make him less the “hokey” Boy Scout and be more presented in an overly aggressive tone, basically to make people see that he can be a “badass”. It’s through his actions, his speech, how he’s viewed by others, etc.

When Superman flies, he has to leave small craters and break the sound barrier just to sell how INTENSE his power is. When he rescues Lois from that terrorist in BvS, he doesn’t just stop the terrorist by grabbing the gun with superspeed, he slams him through many levels of walls. When he sends a satellite down to earth, he smashes it to smithereens in front of a general as if to say “don’t eff with me bro”. A more traditional Superman would have likely just presented it in pristine condition saying “General, I believe this is yours.” He’s dumb enough to tell the general in the same scene “I grew up in Kansas”, great, now the government can narrow down his supposed origin.

Then there’s the aggressive speech and tone to how he’s written and directed.

“The Bat is dead. Bury it. Consider this mercy.”

“I’ll take you in without breaking you, which is more than you deserve!”

“Stay down! If I wanted it, you’d be dead already!”

Okay, he succeeded in presenting Supes as a guy you don’t want to piss off. However, through all these choices, Snyder ends up making Superman seem more like meathead. Probably an attempt to make this version more relatable. I certainly can’t imagine him being at all super intelligent. This is a guy who dodges a LexCorp tanker to allow it to explode into a parking structure. THAT is just an example of why people take issue with this version of Superman. He saves the world, but he doesn’t seem to care to prevent as much damage as possible until an arbitrary moment where Zod decides to threaten a family.

To be fair, it’s probably an overreaction to the awful Superman Returns film that many felt lacked a punch, no pun intended. It’s overly sappy and reliant of a version of Superman that should have been left behind in the 80s, when we should have had a more modern post-Crisis take like what DCAU presented successfully.

And lastly, this is how Superman seems to be primarily marketed for Snyder’s films:

7388466-6221200-superman_%28earth-3929%29.jpg

Pissed off, aggressive, desaturated. Far from the bright, bold and colorful Superman that has been traditionally depicted, such as this very popular comic by Grant Morrison:

71RgvfEIzlL.jpg

I think all this makes more sense when you consider that Snyder’s views of DC heroes are far more influenced by Frank Miller than anyone else because he shares more of Miller’s cynicism than Morrison’s optimism.

That's a fair response. I would also add that it's likely to do with the popularity of Nolan-ism. There are a lot of moments in MoS where it feels like Snyder is trying very hard to be Nolan. The structure of the film, even, is strikingly similar to Batman Begins.

I read a fascinating piece a while ago, obviously inspired by similar discussions, about attempting to fit superheroes with old-fashioned values into a modern day context and how sometimes they just often just don't mesh in a believable way. The Kansas point you made reminded me of it; Clark grows up in Kansas, and has his morals taught to him by his parents. Most, if not all versions follow that same origin put in place in the first Superman story - which came out during what would be seen as a more progressive time where those values would ring true. Truth, justice, honor, the American way - all those sound bites. Not so much anymore. A modern day Kansas farmer is more likely to have voted for the recently ousted Commander-In-Chief. MoS, to its credit, tackles a lot of these things head on and it results in some of the more divisive aspects of the film (the attitude of Pa Kent towards Clark revealing his abilities to the world being a big example of that), as well as the more welcome ones, like Lois instantly figuring out who Clark is and sparing us silly subplots which undermine her intelligence (though obviously undermine everyone else's).

Things change; I'm not trying to slag anyone's beliefs (nor am I having a go at Kansas farmers, here!), but it shows that it can prove difficult to marry a sense of realism with a superhero fantasy - especially when the hero at the centre of that fantasy is defined by his principles and beliefs moreso than anything to do with his personality. I think that's a big issue in adapting Superman in this day and age. You seemingly need to change a lot to make it seem like any of it can feel tangible, which is a neccessity. I haven't seen the new Lois & Clark series yet, but it seems they skipped over quite a bit to tell a different kind of Superman story, with influences of family-drama present. I'm curious as to how that will work out.

Captain America in Civil War is another example of that notion, though less divisive and changed for a variety of reasons. The film strips away most of the opposing ideologies in favour of telling a simpler story of him simply trying to save his friend, and it's likely for the same (or at least similar reasons), considering it, along with The Winter Soldier, is arguably one of the more grounded Marvel films.

The Nolan factor is definitely a thing too, and his films were not too different from Snyder’s viewpoint of doing a deconstruction of the hero, so that all aligns. I remember when TDK became a billion dollar hit there were already rumblings of WB wanting to give Superman the same treatment of a darker and grittier aesthetic, because that’s what accountants think works. “Hey let’s do what they did!”

And of course MOS fell short of expectations which is why they quickly crammed Batman into the mix.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited March 2021 Posts: 15,119
    GadgetMan wrote: »

Ok, that would be Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice. I consider these the highlights from the score:-

1.Beautiful Lie.
    2.Their War Here.
    3.Do You Bleed?
    4.Is She With You?
    5.Men Are Still Good(The Batman Suite).
    6.May I help you, Mr. Wayne?
    7.They Were Hunters.
    8.Vigilante.
    9.Fight Night.

Of course, I love the whole score. But these are ones I listen to more.

Thanks, I'll give it a go.
    I'm giving Elfman's Justice League score a go, and it is pretty good. His use of the old Bats/Supes themes is such a hard one to decide on: they're arguably 'wrong' for this version of theses characters, but they're still the best (in my opinion, obvs) so I'm much happier to hear them than Zimmer's.
    And actually I don't think his theme is all that wrong for Affleck's Bats: he's a fantasy version too. Also I'd love to see Cavill in a Superman film in which they could play William's theme at full blast. If Daniel Craig can have the same theme as Roger Moore...
    I recognize that the entire approach Snyder takes to Superman is to try to make him less the “hokey” Boy Scout and be more presented in an overly aggressive tone, basically to make people see that he can be a “badass”. It’s through his actions, his speech, how he’s viewed by others, etc.

When Superman flies, he has to leave small craters and break the sound barrier just to sell how INTENSE his power is. When he rescues Lois from that terrorist in BvS, he doesn’t just stop the terrorist by grabbing the gun with superspeed, he slams him through many levels of walls. When he sends a satellite down to earth, he smashes it to smithereens in front of a general as if to say “don’t eff with me bro”. A more traditional Superman would have likely just presented it in pristine condition saying “General, I believe this is yours.” He’s dumb enough to tell the general in the same scene “I grew up in Kansas”, great, now the government can narrow down his supposed origin.

Then there’s the aggressive speech and tone to how he’s written and directed.

“The Bat is dead. Bury it. Consider this mercy.”

“I’ll take you in without breaking you, which is more than you deserve!”

“Stay down! If I wanted it, you’d be dead already!”

Okay, he succeeded in presenting Supes as a guy you don’t want to piss off. However, through all these choices, Snyder ends up making Superman seem more like meathead. Probably an attempt to make this version more relatable. I certainly can’t imagine him being at all super intelligent. This is a guy who dodges a LexCorp tanker to allow it to explode into a parking structure. THAT is just an example of why people take issue with this version of Superman. He saves the world, but he doesn’t seem to care to prevent as much damage as possible until an arbitrary moment where Zod decides to threaten a family.

To be fair, it’s probably an overreaction to the awful Superman Returns film that many felt lacked a punch, no pun intended. It’s overly sappy and reliant of a version of Superman that should have been left behind in the 80s, when we should have had a more modern post-Crisis take like what DCAU presented successfully.

And lastly, this is how Superman seems to be primarily marketed for Snyder’s films:

7388466-6221200-superman_%28earth-3929%29.jpg

Pissed off, aggressive, desaturated. Far from the bright, bold and colorful Superman that has been traditionally depicted, such as this very popular comic by Grant Morrison:

71RgvfEIzlL.jpg

I think all this makes more sense when you consider that Snyder’s views of DC heroes are far more influenced by Frank Miller than anyone else because he shares more of Miller’s cynicism than Morrison’s optimism.

That's a fair response. I would also add that it's likely to do with the popularity of Nolan-ism. There are a lot of moments in MoS where it feels like Snyder is trying very hard to be Nolan. The structure of the film, even, is strikingly similar to Batman Begins.

I read a fascinating piece a while ago, obviously inspired by similar discussions, about attempting to fit superheroes with old-fashioned values into a modern day context and how sometimes they just often just don't mesh in a believable way. The Kansas point you made reminded me of it; Clark grows up in Kansas, and has his morals taught to him by his parents. Most, if not all versions follow that same origin put in place in the first Superman story - which came out during what would be seen as a more progressive time where those values would ring true. Truth, justice, honor, the American way - all those sound bites. Not so much anymore. A modern day Kansas farmer is more likely to have voted for the recently ousted Commander-In-Chief. MoS, to its credit, tackles a lot of these things head on and it results in some of the more divisive aspects of the film (the attitude of Pa Kent towards Clark revealing his abilities to the world being a big example of that), as well as the more welcome ones, like Lois instantly figuring out who Clark is and sparing us silly subplots which undermine her intelligence (though obviously undermine everyone else's).

Things change; I'm not trying to slag anyone's beliefs (nor am I having a go at Kansas farmers, here!), but it shows that it can prove difficult to marry a sense of realism with a superhero fantasy - especially when the hero at the centre of that fantasy is defined by his principles and beliefs moreso than anything to do with his personality. I think that's a big issue in adapting Superman in this day and age. You seemingly need to change a lot to make it seem like any of it can feel tangible, which is a neccessity. I haven't seen the new Lois & Clark series yet, but it seems they skipped over quite a bit to tell a different kind of Superman story, with influences of family-drama present. I'm curious as to how that will work out.

Captain America in Civil War is another example of that notion, though less divisive and changed for a variety of reasons. The film strips away most of the opposing ideologies in favour of telling a simpler story of him simply trying to save his friend, and it's likely for the same (or at least similar reasons), considering it, along with The Winter Soldier, is arguably one of the more grounded Marvel films.

The Nolan factor is definitely a thing too, and his films were not too different from Snyder’s viewpoint of doing a deconstruction of the hero, so that all aligns. I remember when TDK became a billion dollar hit there were already rumblings of WB wanting to give Superman the same treatment of a darker and grittier aesthetic, because that’s what accountants think works. “Hey let’s do what they did!”

And of course MOS fell short of expectations which is why they quickly crammed Batman into the mix.

Nolan was actually involved in these films of course, although I don't know how far his influence went in reality..?
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited March 2021 Posts: 23,571
    Final Trailer
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Final Trailer

That dialogue about getting a second chance seems very on the nose, for some reason. ;)

Good trailer, though - even if the barrage of CGI is more than a tad overwhelming. I'm looking forward to checking it out.
    Great trailer I loved the music, to think that at one stage we would never have had the chance to see this.

It looks and sounds a billion times better than the theatrical Whedon effort IMO.
    Great trailer I loved the music, to think that at one stage we would never have had the chance to see this.

It looks and sounds a billion times better than the theatrical Whedon effort IMO.

I agree with that. And the villains certainly look much improved.
    Really looking forward to seeing this version in full!!! :-bd
    One thing I did like about BvS is at the end, Superman and W Woman are both battling Doomsday properly, but when Batman engages it he's just dodging and running for his life! :)

Hes not superhuman so obviously cant take on Doomsday hand to hand.And he dodges a few attacks from Doomsday,hardly running for his life.Hes instrumental in taking down the creature as hes the one who fires the Kryptonite grenade,weakening Doomsday enough so that Supes can finish the job.

Nolan was actually involved in these films of course, although I don't know how far his influence went in reality..?

He was only involved with MOS. He gets a contractual executive producer credit for BvS and JL due since they are technically sequels, whereas he gets no such credit for any other DCEU film as they’re all spin-offs. It’s the same kind of deal we see with Jon Favreua getting executive producer credits for the Avengers films, even though he’s had no major creative input in the films since IRON MAN 2.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited March 2021 Posts: 15,119
    The trailer looks, y'know, like a CG cartoon, but I'll give it a go. I can't remember much about the first version of this so it'll all be pretty fresh.
    AstonLotus wrote: »
    One thing I did like about BvS is at the end, Superman and W Woman are both battling Doomsday properly, but when Batman engages it he's just dodging and running for his life! :)

Hes not superhuman so obviously cant take on Doomsday hand to hand.

Yeah I know, it's not a criticism.
    And he dodges a few attacks from Doomsday,hardly running for his life.

Well, exactly the same thing really! :)
    Hes instrumental in taking down the creature as hes the one who fires the Kryptonite grenade,weakening Doomsday enough so that Supes can finish the job.

Yes indeed. Well he couldn't be entirely useless.

He was only involved with MOS. He gets a contractual executive producer credit for BvS and JL due since they are technically sequels, whereas he gets no such credit for any other DCEU film as they’re all spin-offs. It’s the same kind of deal we see with Jon Favreua getting executive producer credits for the Avengers films, even though he’s had no major creative input in the films since IRON MAN 2.

Cool, thanks.
    edited March 2021 Posts: 23,571
    Zack Snyder's Justice League Early Reactions Praise Film's Humor & Emotion
    https://screenrant.com/zack-snyder-justice-league-movie-fan-reactions/

Early reactions...
    Twist ending, #ZackSnydersJusticeLeague is Snyder's most broadly appealing movie? It's R-rated and 4-hour long, but feels (mostly) PG and flies by like it's 2 1/2 hours. There's going to be more than just Snyder fans wanting to #RestoreTheSnyderVerse #SnyderCut

— ☕Stephen M. Colbert (@smcolbert) March 14, 2021
    I saw #zacksnydersjusticeleague. We'll be talking about this for a long time

-Not what you expect (no matter what you expect)
    -Funnier than the theatrical cut
    -There's an entire season worth of GoT in 4 hours
    -Feels like 2 1/2 hours
    -Hotdogs
    -Cyborg
    -#ZackSnydersJusticeLeague2

— ☕Stephen M. Colbert (@smcolbert) March 14, 2021
    The #SnyderCut is everything fans have hoped for (maybe more). It’s true though: it’s lighter in tone. The DC team-up blockbuster we’ve waited for. Still has heart & character moments. I teared up multiple times. Oh, Snyder has a pair. #RestoreTheSnyderVerse @hbomax @snydercut

— Scott McClellan, AP #81 (@ScottDC27) March 14, 2021
    #ZackSnydersJusticeLeague is the movie we all wanted and much more.
    It hits, it hurts, it makes you smile, cry, it uplifts you and it makes you believe the Age of Heroes is back.
    It's heart, sadness, hope, grief, epicness.
    It's catharsis.
    I loved it.#SnyderCut @snydercut @hbomax pic.twitter.com/baxr5ElSOB

— •JusticeMax• ZSJL's Associate Producer #GBTZ (@SupesBatsy) March 14, 2021
    Zack Snyder's Justice League is a rollercoaster of emotions.

A story about being united, and helping one another reach their potential. Each hero shines throughout. A perfect balance of heart and humor.

The universe built in the film has you wanting more.@snydercut#SnyderCut pic.twitter.com/Q366CqjRdC

— Ω meg Ω (@wondermeg_) March 14, 2021
    @snydercut @hbomax
    I just watched Zack Snyder's Justice League....Wow! I loved this film. The theme of family was prevalent throughout. A strong message about the bond between parents and their children. It connected with me on an emotional level. #SnyderCut

— Nicholas Arend (@NicholasArend4) March 14, 2021
    Zack Snyders Justice League is an epic film that explores all the leagues stories & difficulties and brings them together in a seamless way. It allows the audience to feel the gravitas of the events, the hardships, the defeat, the joy and dare I say humour perfectly.

— Fatma 🦇 (@fringebats) March 14, 2021
    WOW, WOW, WOW. Zack Snyder's Justice League was amazing. Everything I hoped for and more. I loved every second, every frame of this movie. The ending.... man oh man.🤯😵@snydercut @hbomax #SnyderCut #RestoreTheSnyderVerse

— Samuel Morris Warner (@Sam_Warner2049) March 14, 2021
    @snydercut @hbomax
    This film was amazing on all levels. Definitely a Cyborg centered film. I loved Ray Fisher's performance! #BORGLIFE
    It was legit. Also I want Junkie XL to compose a score for my life. Cannot wait to listen to the score later on this week! #SnyderCut

— Nicholas Arend (@NicholasArend4) March 14, 2021
    THE DC SYNDICATE #ZackSnydersJusticeLeague REVIEW THREAD:
    Au contraire, I had the honor and privilege of watching #SnyderCut today. The movie was epic and long and its nothing like what we have seen in the recent times. pic.twitter.com/mTN3FwLDZu

— THE DC SYNDICATE | #SnyderCut (@THEDCSYNDICATE1) March 14, 2021
    The movie isn't dark and depressing as people expect it to be, Its actually lighter than BvS. The members of the Justice league have a good chemistry and it doesn't feel forced at all. pic.twitter.com/PC1jH0CuTg

— THE DC SYNDICATE | #SnyderCut (@THEDCSYNDICATE1) March 14, 2021
    #ZackSnydersJusticeLeague is a masterpiece that gave me goosebumps from beginning to end. The whole time I couldn’t believe the stuff they left out. And it’s crazy how important Cyborg is to the main story in this, he really is the heart of the film

— Amateur Watcher (@OhioDavee) March 14, 2021
    Since the social embargo lifted, critics are now able to share their reactions as well.

#TheSnyderCut is loaded with scenes people haven't seen & are going to love. It is such a better movie than the theatrical cut of #JusticeLeague. Night and day difference. Saying that have no idea how this version could have ever been released in theaters. Perfect for @hbomax. pic.twitter.com/Fnamv6GcKj

— Steven Weintraub (@colliderfrosty) March 14, 2021
    I watched #ZackSnydersJusticeLeague last week. It made me wish there were a JL trilogy and a plan for the larger universe, where this Aquaman and this Wonder Woman sync up with the solo movies better, where Cyborg gets his due, etc. It’s long but also too short in that respect.

— Rob Keyes (@rob_keyes) March 14, 2021
    #ZackSnydersJusticeLeague: At 4 hours in length, the movie is an improvement, has space to breathe, and gives plenty of time to character backstory. Yet, it’s mostly the same story as the theatrical version, still a grandiose vision and well, 4 hours long.

— The Voice Of Reason™ 📽🎞📺 (@YrOnlyHope) March 14, 2021
    If you don't believe that #ZackSnydersJusticeLeague is a totally different movie by comparison to the theatrical version, you are wrong.

I would estimate maybe 25% of theatrical (the best parts) were shot by Zack. Maybe 12% of the Snyder Cut is stuff you might have seen before. pic.twitter.com/7ESlNHPIsL

— BD (@BrandonDavisBD) March 14, 2021
    #ZackSnydersJusticeLeague was everything a DC fan could wish for 🤯

Having extended the film, it allows you to not only get into the league’s story more, but Steppenwolf’s too. It feels like a complete film and I enjoyed every minute of it ⚡️I REALLY want a sequel. pic.twitter.com/uuPHnucWML

— Ben Rolph/TheDCTVshow #SnyderCut (@TheDCTVshow) March 14, 2021
    #ZackSnydersJusticeLeague is truly epic. Superior to the 2017 version in every way. Amazing action and score. Every character shines and story arcs follow through from MOS and BvS. Can’t believe this exists. Incredibly satisfied and so, so worth the wait. #RestoreTheSnyderVerse pic.twitter.com/ioDQTvn9ic

— Fico (@FicoCangiano) March 14, 2021
    The #SnyderCut is a master class in what a difference a filmmaker makes 🤯😎

Joss Whedon DID do a hack job on #ZackSnyder's vision
    and it IS heartbreaking - and fascinating - to see.

The film is a true #JusticeLeague story
    and Snyder's best film to date.

Review tomorrow! pic.twitter.com/0aqx7o3Fbz

— Grace Randolph (@GraceRandolph) March 14, 2021
    #JusticeLeagueSnyderCut is an assembly cut w/ finished effects. Its the same core movie we saw in 2017 w/ two hours of deleted scenes & some slightly altered versions of existing beats. Two reasons to watch: The action climax is much better and Cyborg gets the deserved spotlight. pic.twitter.com/bUSmiJwccT

— Scott Mendelson (@ScottMendelson) March 14, 2021
  • MaxCasinoMaxCasino United States
    So that’s one of the reasons Ray Fisher is criticizing everyone and everything: in Zack Snyder’s movie, he has more of a story arc. But that’s just one of the reasons for him. We’ll probably hear about him criticizing everyone and everything till the end of time, without him giving a true story.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    The first reactions from critics are in and everybody seems to like it a lot. It looks like the SC is gonna be a real crowd pleaser.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I just hope this cut will allow for some critical re-evaluation of Snyder's work in the DCU. His films will never be to everyone's liking, which is fine, but I believe there's room for a bit of the old "these films are not bad at all" reassessments.

I'm also very exited to be frank, because not only will I get twice the movie in terms of feature length, but even the parts we have seen before will partially look and sound differently.

Yeah I really am exited. I'm also stearing clear of spoilers as much as I can but I do have a personal wishlist, things I'd love to see (done differently).
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    It'll just be nice to have a (effectively) new big film to watch.
    I have always been a big fan of Snyder, even Sucker Punch (extended cut) has some amazing visuals and action. All I ever wanted was a continuation of MoS and BvS, still cant believe its happening. JL looks amazing.
    A mutual friend of mine, a critic whom I trust, has described it as "fine". He openly considers the Whedon film to be one of the worst blockbusters ever made, so he stressed that "fine" was a major upgrade. Even though it has all the hallmarks of a Snyder film aesthetically, the runtime both allows the film more cohesion in comparison with its predecessors while also, relevantly, the four hours didn't feel like four hours to him. He finished by saying that if MoS and BvS were "deconstructions" then JL is very much a "reconstruction".

So I am intrigued by it, to say the least.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I have always been a big fan of Snyder, even Sucker Punch (extended cut) has some amazing visuals and action. All I ever wanted was a continuation of MoS and BvS, still cant believe its happening. JL looks amazing.

I’m a big Sucker Punch fan.
    talos7 wrote: »

Good soundtrack Album also.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    talos7 wrote: »

Good soundtrack Album also.
    Oh yes!
    So if you liked Snyder’s movies you’ll love it and if you don’t it won’t change your mind. Sounds fair.
    So today is the day. Let’s see the critical response for a 4 hour uncompromised Snyder film. It should be fun.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    matt_u wrote: »
    So today is the day. Let’s see the critical response for a 4 hour uncompromised Snyder film. It should be fun.

Today? Are the official reviews coming out?
    matt_u wrote: »

Today? Are the official reviews coming out?

Yep I heard the embargo lifts at 5 PM GMT.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Thanks, should be interesting.