DC Comics Cinematic Universe (2013 - present)

Comments

Oh boy did he. Superman doesn’t seem to have much of an issue with all the massive damage that’s killing thousands of people as a result of his fight with Zod, but once Zod’s like “I will kill that small group” it’s like “NOOOO DON’T DO IT!!!” It’s even sillier in the scene where he’s kissing Lois on the debris of a decimated city, seemingly unaware of his surroundings. The worst bit though was when Zod threw a LexCorp tanker truck at Superman and instead of stopping it Supes just dodges it and allows it to destroy a structure. It’s like the movie wants to add an entry into the Superdickery website

As opposed to The Avengers,where New York city is leveled and our heroes make jokes and go have a bite to eat at the Shawarma cafe once the battle is over.

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited March 2021 Posts: 23,570
    Supes basically stops Zod from terraforming the whole of planet earth in MoS and Zod was hell bent on killing every human being, though people neglect to mention that fact.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited March 2021 Posts: 15,117
    Snyder has said his original plan was that it would take five films before we actually get a “proper” traditional Superman, which I’m not a fan of that approach, just as I wasn’t a fan of seeing QOS supposedly trying to continue the whole Bond Begins arc, which felt properly concluded in CR.

Ah okay, I'd not heard that. That kind of doesn't quite ring true because he's still giving us various Superman moments. It feels the wrong way around: you establish him as being perfect first before you start to explore that and give him moments of drama.
    AstonLotus wrote: »
    Oh boy did he. Superman doesn’t seem to have much of an issue with all the massive damage that’s killing thousands of people as a result of his fight with Zod, but once Zod’s like “I will kill that small group” it’s like “NOOOO DON’T DO IT!!!” It’s even sillier in the scene where he’s kissing Lois on the debris of a decimated city, seemingly unaware of his surroundings. The worst bit though was when Zod threw a LexCorp tanker truck at Superman and instead of stopping it Supes just dodges it and allows it to destroy a structure. It’s like the movie wants to add an entry into the Superdickery website

As opposed to The Avengers,where New York city is leveled and our heroes make jokes and go have a bite to eat at the Shawarma cafe once the battle is over.

You're right, it is similar: but I would say in that they are trying to save people pretty much constantly and they're also powerless to get the aliens away.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start

Except Avengers showed police active in the city, and Cap stops to coordinate their rescue efforts. There's all of zero of that in Man of Steel. Closest we get is Perry White getting his employees to safety.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Reminds me of this meme

516751cf8f2e43322e415f3a67a8c3e0.jpg

Of course the damage in MOS was more MASSIVE than in Avengers. According to MCU 76 people died in the Battle of New York while according to Snyder 5000 died in Metropolis.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans

Reminds me of this meme

Of course the damage in MOS was more MASSIVE than in Avengers. According to MCU 76 people died in the Battle of New York while according to Snyder 5000 died in Metropolis.

The thought of only 76 people dying is as ludicrous as Hawkeye and Black Widow actually surviving the first three minutes of the battle.

It’s a superhero fantasy, not a dark and gritty desaturated dirge.

Except Avengers showed police active in the city, and Cap stops to coordinate their rescue efforts. There's all of zero of that in Man of Steel. Closest we get is Perry White getting his employees to safety.

Fun fact: On top of saving the entire human race by stopping Zod and his world engine,Cavills Supes saves Lois Lane from certain death at least three times,saves multiple army men from dying during the Smallville battle, and coordinates his efforts against the entire threat with the U.S army.

Also he wasnt present in Metropolis during most of the World Engine attack,he was busy stopping the other one on the other side of the world.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Omega Beams Teaser
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    It’s a superhero fantasy, not a dark and gritty desaturated dirge.

Ah now, come on! :) They're both superhero fantasies, with both requiring an obviously large suspension of disbelief to buy what they're selling.

There's a bit of cognitive dissonance at play when it comes to talking about Cavill's Superman, I feel. It strikes me as very similar to hearing people bang on about Batfleck being a murderer and how that's "not Batman" (which is fair enough as a criticism in itself), but then hearing many of those same people proclaiming Keaton's Batman as the best.
    They’re obviously WRONG because the DCAU Batman is the best. ;)
    They’re obviously WRONG because the DCAU Batman is the best. ;)

Now we're talking! :)
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    talos7 wrote: »
    Reminds me of this meme

The thought of only 76 people dying is as ludicrous as Hawkeye and Black Widow actually surviving the first three minutes of the battle.

Ha! Yes, doesn't she do something like jump about ten storeys? :D
    If we can accept Batman holding up for the Justice League in Zack Snyder’s gritty and realistic version, I have no problems accepting Hawkeye and Black Widow in what is a more cartoonish universe of the MCU.

The only time those films ever came close to doing something more realistic was THE WINTER SOLDIER, and even that was still over the top.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    One thing I did like about BvS is at the end, Superman and W Woman are both battling Doomsday properly, but when Batman engages it he's just dodging and running for his life! :)
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Still complaining about the (little) damaged caused by a rookie Superman while trying to save humanity from extinction? In other news: “water, wet”.
    Most of the damage on Metropolis was caused by the terraforming machine BTW... and Clark almost died destroying the one on the other side of the planet stopping the terraforming. Throughout the rest of the film he constantly helps and saves people from certain death. I’m sorry Zack didn’t show him saving a cat out of a tree...
    In the meantime in the sequel he instantly clears Metropolis bringing Doomsday in space, but hey there’s no character development... lol... he even saves Lex Luthor from Doomsday after he kidnapped and tried to burn his mother alive! He sacrificed himself saving a world that was busy turning him guilty and betraying him.

But hey, he’s an evil Superman that kills people. Don’t make me laugh...
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    matt_u wrote: »
    Still complaining about the (little) damaged caused by a rookie Superman while trying to save humanity from extinction? In other news: “water, wet”.
    Most of the damage on Metropolis was caused by the terraforming machine BTW... and Clark almost died destroying the one on the other side of the planet stopping the terraforming. Throughout the rest of the film he constantly helps and saves people from certain death. I’m sorry Zack didn’t show him saving a cat out of a tree...
    In the meantime in the sequel he instantly clears Metropolis bringing Doomsday in space, but hey there’s no character development... lol... he even saves Lex Luthor from Doomsday after he kidnapped and tried to burn his mother alive! He sacrificed himself saving a world that was busy turning him guilty and betraying him.

But hey, he’s an evil Superman that kills people. Don’t make me laugh...

I dunno as anyone's called him "evil". More along the lines of the movie treats him as nothing but a powerhouse that's fighting with little regard of how many casualties he causes right up until Zod's threatening one family with his heat vision. I will generally defend the neck snap, but it's a little tone deaf how Superman suddenly cares about collateral damage.
    edited March 2021 Posts: 8,049
    It's fascinating to me how all of these complaints can arguably be attributed to a bad reaction to the choice of tone/aesthetic. I don't find Superman's actions during the battle to be all that worthy of criticism considering the kind of character he's supposed to be at that point, in that particular film. The battle itself, yes, it's a bit much in that it's a numbing assault on the senses to say the least (and as I said on the previous page, I think Snyder undermines his own ideas with the carnage), but there has always been a fundamental rejection of what he attempted to do with Superman, anyway - at least from what I see and hear.

It's a fascinating to compare Shannon's Zod with Stamp's version. The people of Snyder's Krypton are all presented in a strong, militaristic way. Shannon's Zod is very explicit as a soldier, with his fellow Kryptonian conspirators/outcasts being evocative of special forces types; truly hardened by war. You don't really get that with Stamp's version of the character, with his calm persona and god-like, ethereal presence fuelled by his own sense of deity.

I wonder if that line of thinking not only extended to Superman, but also to the film's attitude towards collateral damage. It's a very conscious, weighty thing to do (especially when you combine it with 9/11 echoing imagery).
    I recognize that the entire approach Snyder takes to Superman is to try to make him less the “hokey” Boy Scout and be more presented in an overly aggressive tone, basically to make people see that he can be a “badass”. It’s through his actions, his speech, how he’s viewed by others, etc.

When Superman flies, he has to leave small craters and break the sound barrier just to sell how INTENSE his power is. When he rescues Lois from that terrorist in BvS, he doesn’t just stop the terrorist by grabbing the gun with superspeed, he slams him through many levels of walls. When he sends a satellite down to earth, he smashes it to smithereens in front of a general as if to say “don’t eff with me bro”. A more traditional Superman would have likely just presented it in pristine condition saying “General, I believe this is yours.” He’s dumb enough to tell the general in the same scene “I grew up in Kansas”, great, now the government can narrow down his supposed origin.

Then there’s the aggressive speech and tone to how he’s written and directed.

“The Bat is dead. Bury it. Consider this mercy.”

“I’ll take you in without breaking you, which is more than you deserve!”

“Stay down! If I wanted it, you’d be dead already!”

Okay, he succeeded in presenting Supes as a guy you don’t want to piss off. However, through all these choices, Snyder ends up making Superman seem more like meathead. Probably an attempt to make this version more relatable. I certainly can’t imagine him being at all super intelligent. This is a guy who dodges a LexCorp tanker to allow it to explode into a parking structure. THAT is just an example of why people take issue with this version of Superman. He saves the world, but he doesn’t seem to care to prevent as much damage as possible until an arbitrary moment where Zod decides to threaten a family.

To be fair, it’s probably an overreaction to the awful Superman Returns film that many felt lacked a punch, no pun intended. It’s overly sappy and reliant of a version of Superman that should have been left behind in the 80s, when we should have had a more modern post-Crisis take like what DCAU presented successfully.

And lastly, this is how Superman seems to be primarily marketed for Snyder’s films:

7388466-6221200-superman_%28earth-3929%29.jpg

Pissed off, aggressive, desaturated. Far from the bright, bold and colorful Superman that has been traditionally depicted, such as this very popular comic by Grant Morrison:

71RgvfEIzlL.jpg

I think all this makes more sense when you consider that Snyder’s views of DC heroes are far more influenced by Frank Miller than anyone else because he shares more of Miller’s cynicism than Morrison’s optimism.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yes that’s a great post Python. You’ve nailed it there. A few too many Jesus allegories in his films too; a weird choice because no one really liked it when Returns went there either. Like the 911 stuff it feels on the edge of offensive.

I was a bit puzzled at that desert scene in BvS. Lois keeps saying that Supes was framed and didn’t kill everyone there, but we see him slam a guy through several walls at super speed... which definitely would have killed him. Is she lying for him or are we supposed to believe her? And then because of the way the film is put together I almost end up doubting whether that actually happened or it’s yet another dream sequence.
    So are we supposed to feel that Supes is being unfairly treated by the Senate hearing or are we supposed to be as suspicious of him as the people there? By not showing us the desert events I’m actually left feeling not sure.

One other I also didn’t quite get: everyone seems to know that Lois has a relationship with Superman- that’s actual public knowledge. And yet she’s living with Clark Kent. Is that not a massive clue? :D
    edited March 2021 Posts: 4,343
    Superman doesn’t kill the warlord. Just like he doesn’t kill Batman when slams him through a dozen floors right before the “Stay down” line at the beginning of their fight. Plus if Clark says “I didn’t kill those men” it’s implied that also the warlord wasn’t killed. It’s just basic logic.

EDIT: From a NYT interview with Zack:

Since “Justice League,” there have been other DC movies, like “Aquaman” and “Shazam!”, that have gotten more enthusiastic reviews and made more money. Does that sting for you, that your films didn’t achieve that?

I couldn’t be happier. It doesn’t sting for me at all. Those movies are cool, and they’re really well-made and excellent. But “BvS,” love it or hate it, it’s probably the most mentioned movie in hashtags and references. It’s the closest thing to a cult film that could exist at this level of pop culture. Am I a provocateur? A little bit. Is my job to make some pop-culture piece of candy that you eat and forget about the next day? Nah. I would rather [expletive] you up in a movie than make it nice and pretty for everybody. Let’s be frank, there’s no cult of “Aquaman.” Jason is a force of nature, and by all means, I want there to be 100 “Aquaman” movies because he’s an awesome guy. But it’s not controversial. And I have purposely, because I love it, made the movies difficult.

Is it possible that the zeitgeist just didn’t embrace your interpretation of these characters?

It could be. And that’s fine, too. I don’t have a dog in the hunt. When I made “Watchmen,” it’s deconstructionist. It’s a movie that pokes holes in your heroes. And “BvS” is the same thing. It’s meant to say, Oh, Batman’s drunk and taking painkillers and he’s sleeping with some anonymous girl. He’s a broken person. He dresses up as a bat and he goes out at night and he beats people up. He has issues. I do think the movie came along at a point where everyone was like, oh, we don’t want that Batman. We want Batman to be the warrior-monk who’s cool. And I personally am fine with that.

When you see what Marvel is doing in its movies, do you ever think, I should be doing more of that?

No, not at all. I don’t know how to hit a ball any different than I hit it. A director has one skill — your point of view. That’s all you have. If you’re trying to imitate another way of making a movie, then you’re on a slippery slope.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Basic logic would say if something hits you instantly travelling at a speed of at least 100mph and smashes you through several walls, you're dead. We don't see him again. Batman is at least heavily armoured and I can't remember if S flies into him at superspeed or not.
    As I say, I don't know if we're supposed to believe him or not.
    edited March 2021 Posts: 8,049
    I recognize that the entire approach Snyder takes to Superman is to try to make him less the “hokey” Boy Scout and be more presented in an overly aggressive tone, basically to make people see that he can be a “badass”. It’s through his actions, his speech, how he’s viewed by others, etc.

When Superman flies, he has to leave small craters and break the sound barrier just to sell how INTENSE his power is. When he rescues Lois from that terrorist in BvS, he doesn’t just stop the terrorist by grabbing the gun with superspeed, he slams him through many levels of walls. When he sends a satellite down to earth, he smashes it to smithereens in front of a general as if to say “don’t eff with me bro”. A more traditional Superman would have likely just presented it in pristine condition saying “General, I believe this is yours.” He’s dumb enough to tell the general in the same scene “I grew up in Kansas”, great, now the government can narrow down his supposed origin.

Then there’s the aggressive speech and tone to how he’s written and directed.

“The Bat is dead. Bury it. Consider this mercy.”

“I’ll take you in without breaking you, which is more than you deserve!”

“Stay down! If I wanted it, you’d be dead already!”

Okay, he succeeded in presenting Supes as a guy you don’t want to piss off. However, through all these choices, Snyder ends up making Superman seem more like meathead. Probably an attempt to make this version more relatable. I certainly can’t imagine him being at all super intelligent. This is a guy who dodges a LexCorp tanker to allow it to explode into a parking structure. THAT is just an example of why people take issue with this version of Superman. He saves the world, but he doesn’t seem to care to prevent as much damage as possible until an arbitrary moment where Zod decides to threaten a family.

To be fair, it’s probably an overreaction to the awful Superman Returns film that many felt lacked a punch, no pun intended. It’s overly sappy and reliant of a version of Superman that should have been left behind in the 80s, when we should have had a more modern post-Crisis take like what DCAU presented successfully.

And lastly, this is how Superman seems to be primarily marketed for Snyder’s films:

7388466-6221200-superman_%28earth-3929%29.jpg

Pissed off, aggressive, desaturated. Far from the bright, bold and colorful Superman that has been traditionally depicted, such as this very popular comic by Grant Morrison:

71RgvfEIzlL.jpg

I think all this makes more sense when you consider that Snyder’s views of DC heroes are far more influenced by Frank Miller than anyone else because he shares more of Miller’s cynicism than Morrison’s optimism.

That's a fair response. I would also add that it's likely to do with the popularity of Nolan-ism. There are a lot of moments in MoS where it feels like Snyder is trying very hard to be Nolan. The structure of the film, even, is strikingly similar to Batman Begins.

I read a fascinating piece a while ago, obviously inspired by similar discussions, about attempting to fit superheroes with old-fashioned values into a modern day context and how sometimes they just often just don't mesh in a believable way. The Kansas point you made reminded me of it; Clark grows up in Kansas, and has his morals taught to him by his parents. Most, if not all versions follow that same origin put in place in the first Superman story - which came out during what would be seen as a more progressive time where those values would ring true. Truth, justice, honor, the American way - all those sound bites. Not so much anymore. A modern day Kansas farmer is more likely to have voted for the recently ousted Commander-In-Chief. MoS, to its credit, tackles a lot of these things head on and it results in some of the more divisive aspects of the film (the attitude of Pa Kent towards Clark revealing his abilities to the world being a big example of that), as well as the more welcome ones, like Lois instantly figuring out who Clark is and sparing us silly subplots which undermine her intelligence (though obviously undermine everyone else's).

Things change; I'm not trying to slag anyone's beliefs (nor am I having a go at Kansas farmers, here!), but it shows that it can prove difficult to marry a sense of realism with a superhero fantasy - especially when the hero at the centre of that fantasy is defined by his principles and beliefs moreso than anything to do with his personality. I think that's a big issue in adapting Superman in this day and age. You seemingly need to change a lot to make it seem like any of it can feel tangible, which is a neccessity. I haven't seen the new Lois & Clark series yet, but it seems they skipped over quite a bit to tell a different kind of Superman story, with influences of family-drama present. I'm curious as to how that will work out.

Captain America in Civil War is another example of that notion, though less divisive and changed for a variety of reasons. The film strips away most of the opposing ideologies in favour of telling a simpler story of him simply trying to save his friend, and it's likely for the same (or at least similar reasons), considering it, along with The Winter Soldier, is arguably one of the more grounded Marvel films.
    mtm wrote: »
    Basic logic would say if something hits you instantly travelling at a speed of at least 100mph and smashes you through several walls, you're dead.

Not if it is Superman that smashes the walls and you’re just inbetween not even knowing what’s happening because everything is too fast. He just wants to scare the shit out of his enemy.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    matt_u wrote: »
    mtm wrote: »
    Basic logic would say if something hits you instantly travelling at a speed of at least 100mph and smashes you through several walls, you're dead.

Not if it is Superman that smashes the walls and you’re just inbetween not even knowing what’s happening because everything is too fast. He just wants to scare the shit out of his enemy.

I think the problem is more the inertia of being instantly taken to that speed: your brain would slosh around in your skull and you'd be dead. Still, that's a problem with a lot of superhero movies: Iron Man couldn't survive most of the stuff he does.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    A lot's wrong with the physics in superhero movies:

Batman's grapnel gun cannot function with the current state of technology.

Superman turns back time (okay...) by spinning the world around in the opposite direction (yeah, time's not going to change but we will all be dead).

Lois falling and being caught by Superman? She's so dead due to G forces.

file_518508_5.jpg

It's cool to talk about physics in superhero movies; I do so with my students all the time. We also discuss physics and chemistry in Bond movies.

But when watching a superhero movie, I don't really care all that much. In movies, cars always explode, people can keep running around in a building on fire, and almost no-one ever dies from extreme deceleration. In Superman's presence, you're fine; the laws of physics no longer apply. ;)
    Middle Mass music by Tom Holkenborg.

I am liking what I have heard of the score so far
    So far, so very Junkie XL. Eager to hear more of Zimmer's Superman theme, though. Middle Mass is just a fairly standard "reveal" type cue.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    edited March 2021 Posts: 4,247
    So far, so very Junkie XL. Eager to hear more of Zimmer's Superman theme, though. Middle Mass is just a fairly standard "reveal" type cue.

Yeah. I have been waiting to hear that too. But hopefully, it should be there in a gargantuan score that has 54 tracks.
    GadgetMan wrote: »

Yeah. I have been waiting to hear that too. But hopefully, it should be there in a gargantuan score that has 54 tracks.

For sure - a massive album. I can't imagine I'll be listening to it in its entirety in one sitting too often but I'm sure I'll make a nice playlist from the highlights.