Timothy Dalton or Daniel Craig?

Comments

Seems to be a lot of threads today brought out of archives for some reason

This is simple enough, Dalton is my favorite Bond, the closest I felt, to the original Fleming character

Craig has done well thus far, and has those above qualities to an extent, but he's a bit too thuggish sometimes, and I took an instant dislike to the hair color, eyes, physique, etc etc etc when he was first introduced, as were some others doubtless, but he gave us a fine debut performance and has been impressive at times

Keep getting this 'saved draft' crap and the page goes static and I can't submit an opinion the last few attempts and have to go back to the main index, getting slightly annoyed here

:-L

But Yes, Dalton wins over Craig every time
    My least and my most liked actors in comparison. I suppose, I don't have to really write it down ;)
    We already know what sort of Bond DC is going to be...just look at TD in both of his films and DC's performance is a slightly more xxx version without the looks.

SC first, TD, GL, DC, PB........................................................................and lastly RM

So you like PB and RM the least? How is this opinion even possible to exist?

I know, I know. It's a shame. I'm confused about it as well! Haha, well, either way, @forgotmyusername has the right to his opinion, so I won't say that it's completely out of the question, because I'm sure some people will say the same about guys like us who prefer Roger and Pierce!
    00Beast wrote:
    We already know what sort of Bond DC is going to be...just look at TD in both of his films and DC's performance is a slightly more xxx version without the looks.

SC first, TD, GL, DC, PB........................................................................and lastly RM

I know, I know. It's a shame. I'm confused about it as well! Haha, well, either way, @forgotmyusername has the right to his opinion, so I won't say that it's completely out of the question, because I'm sure some people will say the same about guys like us who prefer Roger and Pierce!

No doubt he has the right to his opinion, but I mean how could anybody place them last?

00Beast wrote:

No doubt he has the right to his opinion, but I mean how could anybody place them last?

This is an excellent question! I don't think we'll ever have the luxury of finding out.
    00Beast wrote:
    00Beast wrote:

This is an excellent question! I don't think we'll ever have the luxury of finding out.

I agree, just as we will never find out why people love OHMSS and dislike AVTAK.
    @007RogerMoore: Preach it brother! Hahaha. AVTAK>OHMSS, no doubt there!
    If someone feels Moore deserves last place in the Bond actor places I think that's fair enough, some of his tenure was a bit questionable, let's be honest. But last place, I could never say that, for all the nonsense humor and ill advised action pieces there was some epic moments and real tension when he was involved, and every now and again, did resemble Dalton or Connery almost to an extent, but these moments were sadly few and far between

And Brosnan, well the same goes for him too, I mean he did quite well here and there, almost Connery or Dalton like at times, particularly in Goldeneye and The World Is Not Enough, but sometimes I felt, he was wholly inappropriate in the Bond role. Bit of a mixed bag with these two really
    Dalton. Dalton, Dalton, Dalton. By a mile.

Maybe I'm being unfair, but to me nobody will top Dalton as bond. Craig is a good actor but QOS was kind of a let down, I'm hoping Skyfall will be better so that I'll like Craig's bond more. For me right now, it's...

1- Dalton.

2- Brosnan/Connery

3- Moore

4- Craig

5- Lasenby
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 1,778
    That's funny. I was gonna start a similar thread today. Both are pretty much my favorite Bonds however I think Craig is the better of the two. Dalton would sometimes come off as ackward, especially in the humor scenes, and sometimes seemed like he thought he was playing Shakespeare. But as a wise man once said "...just different. Like peaking duck is different than Russian caviar but I love them both".
    Look at the scene where Dalton interrogates Pushkin in The Living Daylights

Calm, composed, phlegmatic - professional. He does his business almost immaculately in having to get the required information on Koskovs activities

Craig would be something else with this, either just shoot him in the legs or knock him about or throw him out the nearest window, he's chalk and cheese to Dalton in that respect, Yes both are serious but Dalton could get results with a hard word or limited action. I like when he sneaks about Milton Krest' boat in License to Kill and puts a knife to Lamora's throat and starts asking questions, 'make a sound and you're dead' etc

I thought that was a really good bit there, maybe Craig would of risked it all by making a scene or something or bringing attention to himself, but both men got their business done, it's just that Dalton was so much more subtle with it

Both are similar - best for me. But Craig's love scenes are better than Dalton's. Hm, Dalton strangely looks older and worse than Craig.

1. Craig
    2. Dalton

3. Moore
    4. Connery
    5. Brosnan
    6. Lazenby
    Look at the scene where Dalton interrogates Pushkin in The Living Daylights

I still say that scene is a contender for the best in the entire franchise. It blew us away in 1987. Whats going on? Christ, he's tough. Roger Moore would never do a scene like this. I like it...

So Timbo first, then Dan - but they are both in the Mt Olympus of Bond actors along with Connery as far as I am concerned.

• edited April 2012 Posts: 11,189
    Rog did (kind of) do a scene like that. In OP with Orlov.

Ok perhaps he wouldn't rip the clothes off a mistress.

Great scene I agree but (arguably) the CR Pts is just as effective if not better. Esp with the dark lighting and some of the dialogue.

"How did he die?
    Your contact? Not well"

"I know where you keep your gun"

"yes...considerably".
    Dalton would sometimes come off as ackward, especially in the humor scenes, and sometimes seemed like he thought he was playing Shakespeare.

I was watching part of TLD the other week and have realised that's the issue I have with him. He's a bit too "stagey" whereas Craig looks relaxed and more natural. Have a look at the train scene to see what I mean. Also, In the MP scene he comes off more like a school teacher than Bond.

(I'm beginning to understand why Dalton never quite "worked" with the masses)

God how epic is that scene :D

THAT is why Craig is better

("Vesper huh...wow now there's a mouthful")

Sorry couldn't resist :)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =))
    BAIN123 wrote:

Thats actually one of the best scenes Roger is given. But Tim or Dan would do it infinitel y better.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Great scene I agree but (arguably) the CR Pts is just as effective if not better. Esp with the dark lighting and some of the dialogue.

Whats that got to do with the price of fish? We were talking about TLD. Its like saying I like that scene in TMWTGG but the one in FRWL is better. Talk about moving goalposts.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    I was watching part of TLD the other week and have realised that's the issue I have with him. He's a bit too "stagey" whereas Craig looks relaxed and more natural. Have a look at the train scene to see what I mean. Also, In the MP scene he comes off more like a school teacher than Bond.

Yes, you mentioned that in your other thread. Unless your schoolteacher is a steely killer for the government I think your claim is abit of a stretch. Its a Fleming/Dalton Bond squeezed into a Roger Moore cliche in that scene.
    BAIN123 wrote:

Sweeping generalisation. TLD did excellent box office and every time his films are shown on ITV they get good ratings. When ITV are looking at which Bonds do the best - its his two which they put on.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    (THAT is why Craig is better

They are both excellent but Tim edges it for me for doing something different with the role after twelve years of being sent up and not being taken seriously. As much as I love Rog he didn't even try sometimes.
  • DCisaredDCisared Liverpool
    Craig hands down for me , I don't dislike dalton at all and the living daylights is one of my favourite bond films, both actors 1st outings as bond are in my top 5 movies but quantum I believe is alot better than licence to kill.
    This is because I think Daniel Craig is a much better actor , he has charm and charisma and plays the leading man role alot better, he can carry a bad film whearas I don't beleive dalton could or can.
    As much as I have a love for the old films, I enjoy my modern bond, a bond who can keep up with the times so maybe this plays an important factor seen as thou I'm only young .
    actonsteve wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:

Sweeping generalisation. TLD did excellent box office and every time his films are shown on ITV they get good ratings. When ITV are looking at which Bonds do the best - its his two which they put on.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    (THAT is why Craig is better

I'm sure it did but part of that was probably due to curiosity from the public at the time after 12 years of Rog. I was too young at the time so who am I to say.

One thing that is certain though LTK was a (comparitive) disappointment. Here, in the UK, it did reasonably well from what I gather but in the US it was #36 in the box office takings for 1989.

http://boxofficemojo.com/yearly/chart/?yr=1989&p=.htm

Ouch! While there were a lot of big films that year number 36 is quite suprising - especially for a Bond film. Its sad when you've got to scroll down a bit to find it. Additionally TLD was number 19 while OP and AVTAK were 6 and 13. I feel sorry for Dalton :(

In regard to TV ratings I always got the impression it was the Roger Moore flicks that were on the most. They're nearly ALWAYS on ITV 1 or 4 on a weekend afternoon.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    actonsteve wrote:
    TLD did excellent box office

No it didn't. It's the 3rd least sucessful film in the franchise.

BAIN123 wrote:
    I'm sure it did but part of that was probably due to curiosity from the public at the time after 12 years of Rog. I was too young at the time so who am I to say.

That's your own projection. It could be because it was a bloody good film. As you said you wern't there.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    In regard to TV ratings I always got the impression it was the Roger Moore flicks that were on the most. They're nearly ALWAYS on ITV 1 or 4 on a weekend afternoon.

And yet when they relaunched Bond on ITV4 they looked at the ratings at which films had done the best on ITV1 and saw it was the two Dalton efforts.
    actonsteve wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:

That's your own projection. It could be because it was a bloody good film. As you said you wern't there.

Daylights is a good movie I agree but I don't get the sense it the world alight in the way that CR did in 2006. I just don't.

This is an old review from The Radio Times (one of the leading UK film and TV magazines for the benifit of other people on here) for Daylights (I don't agree with it btw):

http://www.radiotimes.com/film/ccqzt/the-living-daylights

That is one review to be fair so maybe I'm generalising. Nonetheless I just get the feeling CR was met with more enthusiasm than TLD - partly because it seemed so radically different (and also because people were keen to see how Craig would perform after all his negative publicity).
    BAIN123 wrote:
    [

http://www.radiotimes.com/film/ccqzt/the-living-daylights

That is one review to be fair so maybe I'm generalising. Nonetheless I just get the feeling CR was met with more enthusiasm than TLD - partly because it seemed so radically different.

No offence but I dont set much store by a review by the Radio Times. A publication which sends bland cosiness to new levels and isnt really interested in anything that doesnt involve soaps or chick lit.

I wish I kept the original Telegraph/Guardian review of TLD from 1987. Its an exceptional review and will make you chuckle.

Well Radio Times does have Barry Norman attached to it and for that reason I like it ;)

I'll see if I can find the article online

No, I can't find it :(
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Well Radio Times does have Barry Norman attached to it and for that reason I like it ;)

I'll see if I can find the article online

No, I can't find it :(

I will try and find it through my old copies of JBBFC magazines. But it may have been thrown out.

• edited April 2012 Posts: 6,601
    BAIN123 wrote:
    actonsteve wrote:

I can understand, if somebody chooses to close their eyes on facts, when it comes to somebody they like, but you cannot by all means compare the mass hysteria after CR to what was the result for Dalton. DC at that point had shot from almost zero to 100%, winning everything he possibly could and his popularity went through the roof for some time.
    Certainly going through the US box office figures for the 80s and then 2006/2008 one thing is perfectly clear.

The audience preferred Moore and Craig to Dalton. Poor Timmy :'(

Whether people like it or not, the US seems to be the clincher.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    What exactly is so special about the train scene in CR? :-?? I am wincing as i'm watching that, the dialogue in it (and not just that scene), is laid on so thik, a trowel is needed. Other than the casting, the dialogue is the biggest problem in CR.

As for the interrogation scene in TLD, that ranks as my #1 Bond scene. Dalton owns that scene, Bons is both on the edge (watch as he spins around and points the gun at Rubavitch, who goes to stand up behind Bond), and in complete control of what is happeneing around him. It's all down to Daltons performane, that in what was his first Bond, I can believe that his Bond is a consumate professional not to mention a veteran at what he does. He's able to bring a past to the role in just one film.
    What exactly is so special about the train scene in CR? :-?? I am wincing as i'm watching that

My face is smirking (and I'm reciting Craig's lines as he does) ;)

BAIN123 wrote:
    What exactly is so special about the train scene in CR? :-?? I am wincing as i'm watching that

Its a beautiful, light hearted banter scene not unlike those old Hepburn/Tracy ones for example. And a must see for those, who say, DC has no charme. Well - they will still say it though. :P
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Please.... the dialogue in the train scene is horrendous.

'Rolex ?' 'Omeeeega.'
    Germanlady wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:

Its a beautiful, light hearted banter scene not unlike those old Hepburn/Tracy ones for example. And a must see for those, who say, DC has no charme. Well - they will still say it though. :P

I think it was meant to be an homage to North By Northwest

I'll agree that the "Rolex" line is a bit naff but the worst offender product placement wise (for me) is from TND.

"This looks familiar (holds up Rolex)
    "We've made some improvments"

8-|